PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo Ducati dry clutch quick fix

OddDuck
17th June 2015, 14:28
This is one of those things you do when cash is tight and you have to keep the old girl going just a bit longer...

Had a problem with my clutch slipping. The plates and basket are worn (badly) and in need of replacement. I don't have the $1K-odd that it's going to need in parts, in the meantime the clutch was slipping and getting stinking hot while riding. What to do...

Taking it to bits and examining closely, the clutch plate tangs had been hammered and had mushroomed. The inner fringes of the curled mushroom metal had been worn in turn and flattened down... aha. The driven discs were riding on both the mushroom metal and the friction pads. That meant that the friction material was only getting some / none of the spring force, hence... slipping clutch.

Normally I'd never do this... I took a file to each and every one of the deformed areas and got the mushrooming off again. I had to be careful to not take too much off the remaining tang metal. It took two hours or so. I replaced the clutch pressure plate bearing while I was in there since the old one was on the verge of failing.

It's going properly again, albeit noisily (actually slightly quieter than before, but it still sounds like a tumble drier filled with bolts). The clutch stack measured in at 36.5mm - it's supposed to be 38mm +/- 2mm, so I think I've got a few more k's left.

caspernz
17th June 2015, 14:37
Bit of nous combined with the right tools :niceone: