PDA

View Full Version : Changing down gears at speed

carlsjunior
18th June 2015, 09:09
Hello, I am new here and am just looking for a quick tip on how to change down gears without locking up the back wheel at speed. I am used to smaller bikes and have just got a big Harley and can't seem to stop it from happening. Thanks.

Doppleganger
18th June 2015, 09:27
Rev the engine as you pull in the clutch and change to the lower gear (known as bliping the throttle).
This will bring the engine revs up to closer match the speed the new gear.

FJRider
18th June 2015, 09:33
Hello, I am new here and am just looking for a quick tip on how to change down gears without locking up the back wheel at speed. I am used to smaller bikes and have just got a big Harley and can't seem to stop it from happening. Thanks.

Just use the brakes to slow down. Then change down when you get within the rev range for the gear you are dropping to.

Failing that ... buy a small Harley ...

sugilite
18th June 2015, 10:43
Just use the brakes to slow down. Then change down when you get within the rev range for the gear you are dropping to.

Yep, this.

puddytat
18th June 2015, 11:39
Wind up your idle.....poor mans slipper clutch.

iYRe
18th June 2015, 11:39
This will explain it, and many other things beside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg

(twist of the wrist 2)
Every rider should watch it at some point.

Mike.Gayner
18th June 2015, 11:58
"This unnecessary thing I'm doing is causing me trouble - what can I do to keep doing this unnecessary thing that I don't like doing?"

Harley riders.

Banditbandit
18th June 2015, 13:15
The issue suggests that you are changing down unnecessarily .. but if you are trying to slow down with engine braking only, you're better off using the brakes and changing down when you hit the lower speed required for a lower gear - as suggested by FJRrider above ..

FJRider
18th June 2015, 14:53
The issue suggests that you are changing down unnecessarily ...

It's a Harley ... so it's unlikely he'll be going that fast anyway ... :pinch:

carlsjunior
18th June 2015, 15:39
Cheers for that. Even the smart ones :P

Banditbandit
18th June 2015, 16:12
It's a Harley ... so it's unlikely he'll be going that fast anyway ... :pinch:

fast enough to lock the back wheel when changing down ...

Cheers for that. Even the smart ones :P

What were you riding before you got the harley ???

FJRider
18th June 2015, 16:14
Rev the engine as you pull in the clutch and change to the lower gear (known as bliping the throttle).
This will bring the engine revs up to closer match the speed the new gear.

Works well on a multi cylinder bike ... but the big twins (plenty of engine braking) just like you to just button off the throttle ... untill you need to change down. Much easier on the drive train too ...

FJRider
18th June 2015, 16:19
fast enough to lock the back wheel when changing down ...

What were you riding before you got the harley ???

No mention in his post that he got out of second gear .. :innocent:

That he needed to ask ... points to a definite lack of experience. The same problem can occur on small bikes too ...

PrincessBandit
18th June 2015, 17:11
No mention in his post that he got out of second gear .. :innocent:

That he needed to ask ... points to a definite lack of experience. The same problem can occur on small bikes too ...

Hmmm, happened to me on my first big ride (out to Clevedon :facepalm: ) when I was a n00b. I learnt quickly not to do it again by doing what others have suggested above - either blipping or shock horror using a bid of rear brake to slow appropriately.

mossy1200
18th June 2015, 17:43
I don't understand. If your slowing down why is the rear wheel on the ground? Are the front brakes working properly?

caseye
18th June 2015, 17:44
So hang on a minute here. You've ridden before, you've bought a Harley and now your experiencing compression lock on a motorcycle that can't go fast enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
Then you come here to ask how to stop this embarrassing thing from happening.
THIS IS A PISS TAKE YOU LOT.
OP, do you have a full motorcycle licence?
is your Harley a 500cc model?
Do you know that if you simply don't change down before your bikes engine has slowed enough that you won't lock up the rear wheel with compression lock?

awayatc
18th June 2015, 17:52
joined today

first post....

piss take

98tls
18th June 2015, 20:59
Works well on a multi cylinder bike ... but the big twins (plenty of engine braking) just like you to just button off the throttle ... untill you need to change down. Much easier on the drive train too ...

Fuck the drive train mate tis fun sliding into tight corners under.. cough cough.. engine braking,so much so ive resisted the urge to replace the old TLs primitive slipper with one outta a GSXR.

WNJ
19th June 2015, 01:59
Harley riders are oarsum

awa355
19th June 2015, 07:09
Maybe this was him, at .40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QorkezTnmwo

Maha
19th June 2015, 08:52
'change down gears without locking up the back wheel at speed'

At speed? give an idea of what you consider 'speed' is? because changing down at any speed can be done without locking the rear wheel. Engine note is a key sound, coupled with experience and an intimate knowledge of your bike.

If you weight the gear selector with a slight pull on the clutch lever, the bike will change down when the revs allow it, but a large percentage of Harley riders like the 'over do throttle blip' technique when slowing down.

baffa
19th June 2015, 12:01
It's so much easier to blip the throttle on a cruiser, you do most of your braking with the rear brake anyway

FJRider
19th June 2015, 18:29
joined today

first post....

piss take

It can't be ... Harley riders are always on the recieving end of a piss take ... aren't they .. ?? :scratch:

I wonder if he waves .. ?? :devil2:

FJRider
19th June 2015, 18:31
... ive resisted the urge to replace the old TLs primitive slipper with one outta a GSXR.

It must be the only original bit still on the bike ... :blank:

98tls
19th June 2015, 18:34
It must be the only original bit still on the bike ... :blank:

Thats to help with the wording on the trademe ad....;)

FJRider
19th June 2015, 18:36
Thats to help with the wording on the trademe ad....;)

I must spread it around ... apparently ... :killingme ... later ..

Saarg
6th August 2016, 21:20
(twist of the wrist 2)

+1 that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trufflebutter
11th September 2016, 09:00

Failing that ... buy a small Harley ...

Not sure about Harley/cruiser's where this is concerned, but on the Sports bike I just slightly load the gear selector then just touch the clutch lever and voila!

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 09:36
"This unnecessary thing I'm doing is causing me trouble - what can I do to keep doing this unnecessary thing that I don't like doing?"

Harley riders.

Well at least he's man enough to ask up for help.

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 09:38
Not sure about Harley/cruiser's where this is concerned, but on the Sports bike I just slightly load the gear selector then just touch the clutch lever and voila!

Who the hell uses the clutch to shift. :blink:

trufflebutter
11th September 2016, 09:43

Harley riders it would seem.

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 09:46
Harley riders it would seem.

Uhhh but you do it on your honda :pinch:

nerrrd
11th September 2016, 10:26
Honda went to all the trouble of putting it on there, might as well use it.

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 10:29
Honda went to all the trouble of putting it on there, might as well use it.

Yeah for taking off from stopped. beyond that leave the clutch alone and just use the throttle to let the load off and blip your downshifts... clutched upshifts take forever, aint nobody got time for that.

trufflebutter
11th September 2016, 10:34
Uhhh but you do it on your honda :pinch:

If you haven't done it on a Honda don't knock it.

Big Dog
11th September 2016, 10:35
People with some mechanical sensitivity.

I clutchless upshift when the conditions are right and my timing is on.
I only do it down enough to keep the skill alive in case I lose the clutch on a ride, it has happened before.
But having heard many stories about bent selectors and new false neutrals from bad changes, or more likely many bad changes I also choose to use a clutch.

Pretty much the only benefit out clutchless shifting is a shorter smoother upshift when getting a hustle on but only if your timing is good.

I don't get why people get their knickers in such a bunch about a skill that is just a preference.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Big Dog
11th September 2016, 10:44
As one who depends on my bikes and tends to own them for 5+ years at a time the reliability of my bike is way more important than the wank factor of saving a nanosecond on my shifts.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 12:31

I clutchless upshift when the conditions are right and my timing is on.
I only do it down enough to keep the skill alive in case I lose the clutch on a ride, it has happened before.
But having heard many stories about bent selectors and new false neutrals from bad changes, or more likely many bad changes I also choose to use a clutch.

Pretty much the only benefit out clutchless shifting is a shorter smoother upshift when getting a hustle on but only if your timing is good.

I don't get why people get their knickers in such a bunch about a skill that is just a preference.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Well yeah if you cant time it and are mincing up your box i wouldn't advise it....

No problem if you can actually ride a motorcycle though.

actungbaby
11th September 2016, 15:22

Dont try focus too much on it can get to be obession
well did in my case when way back.
Even few years ago and been riding bike with very long break
since was 15 . yrs old .even know i can stand on back brake
in emergcy stop. like when some ran out on pedestion stop.

Just a bad habit of mine

really for quick answer dont focus on gear changing down.
and think about using front brake and rear just less and less.

with torque the engine , braking as well gone to lock any motorcyle back well.

probley only diffrece becuase harley is alot more wieght.
and you have more transfer moving forward when braking.

plus more front fork moment too .

just leave more time and distance to the corner or intersection its not a competion.

you dont have to dl to first before a stop . just click down or up from second .

Id just practice slowing down with front brake and just tiny bit rear if you want get used to that .

if getting you down and your becoming fearfull do a motorcycle training course
they dont have to be expesive . i did and really enjoyed it and learned alot.

never to old to learn. and confidence you get be a asset.

actungbaby
11th September 2016, 15:28

after all waffling on came to me

match engine revs to wheel speed if engine spining faster

than wheel speed and road speed wheel will be trying go backwards slighty

actungbaby
11th September 2016, 15:29

(twist of the wrist 2)

says no longer avial might just my pc

Big Dog
11th September 2016, 15:38
Well yeah if you cant time it and are mincing up your box i wouldn't advise it....

In not saying I can't do it.
I am saying I only do it when it benefits me and I am secure enough in my penis size / ego to tell others it's not the end of the world if they don't.

If you ride often enough there will be times when your timing is just not what it should be.
On the road there is not enough benefit for you to be suggesting you are a better rider because you do it.

I haven't seen you ride for as least 6 years and even then you were a passenger or in a car more often than riding so I won't cast judgement about who is the better rider.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Virago
11th September 2016, 16:44
says no longer avial might just my pc

Hardly surprising when the post you're quoting is well over a year old...

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 19:36
In not saying I can't do it.
I am saying I only do it when it benefits me and I am secure enough in my penis size / ego to tell others it's not the end of the world if they don't.

If you ride often enough there will be times when your timing is just not what it should be.
On the road there is not enough benefit for you to be suggesting you are a better rider because you do it.

I haven't seen you ride for as least 6 years and even then you were a passenger or in a car more often than riding so I won't cast judgement about who is the better rider.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

You can drop the attitude for a start?

In my opinion clutchless shifting well does make you a better rider and has plenty of benefit on the street, as opposed to losing power on a slow clutch shift. in my opinion its alot harder to master a quick clutched shift in regards to getting it right every time than a non clutched shift.

To each their own.

Never said you couldn't do it, never claimed to be a god among mortals. So there is no need for the attitude as none was intended from me it's just how i talk....

My penis size is actually very uncomfortable i think i need a seat with a groove sculpted in it. :laugh:

nzspokes
11th September 2016, 20:15
You can drop the attitude for a start?

In my opinion clutchless shifting well does make you a better rider and has plenty of benefit on the street, as opposed to losing power on a slow clutch shift. in my opinion its alot harder to master a quick clutched shift in regards to getting it right every time than a non clutched shift.

To each their own.

Never said you couldn't do it, never claimed to be a god among mortals. So there is no need for the attitude as none was intended from me it's just how i talk....

My penis size is actually very uncomfortable i think i need a seat with a groove sculpted in it. :laugh:

There is a fair chance his dick is bigger than yours, the guy is fucking huge. I would think he makes his CB1300 look like a 250.

MrMarko
11th September 2016, 22:02
There is a fair chance his dick is bigger than yours, the guy is fucking huge. I would think he makes his CB1300 look like a 250.

uh oh big dog hide your profile pics.

scumdog
12th September 2016, 09:14

Mwahahahaa....:lol:

MrMarko
12th September 2016, 22:41
Mwahahahaa....:lol:

Goodafteble constanoon nice of you to join us.

WristTwister
13th September 2016, 00:01
Drift the rear wheel like a boss!

WristTwister
13th September 2016, 00:09

(twist of the wrist 2)

But the acting is soooo bad! And one guy looks like President Obama:
http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ObamaFrown.jpg

BuzzardNZ
14th September 2016, 06:59
http://favimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/actor-robert-de-niro-photo-face-beautiful.jpg

Big Dog
14th September 2016, 07:47
+

+

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=180992

=

Any more classic and it would be vintage. :rofl:

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC