PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal voltage to a spark plug?

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 16:02
My question is if you where running say 16-18 volts to your spark plugs would there be more spark?
Would this more spark ignite the fuel better?
Which in turn would run better?

nodrog
19th June 2015, 16:25
My question is if you where running say 16-18 volts to your spark plugs would there be more spark?

I think it maybe a little bit more than 16-18 volts at the plug.

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 16:29
but do you think that could be a thing?
19-21 volts?

Mike.Gayner
19th June 2015, 17:09
This thread is cancerous.

ellipsis
19th June 2015, 17:22
...DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME...i've heard that 240 volts makes the whole fucking tank ignite...does that help...

p.dath
19th June 2015, 17:23

I think the question you are asking is - would you get more power. If so, the answer is hideously complicated. Try getting a book on fuel injection and read about things like flame fronts and the like. I don't remember the voltage presented at the spark plug ever coming up in relation to performance in any kind of serious way.

But more than likely, your manufacturer chose their ignition system parameters after a lot of careful tuning.

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 17:31
yea that is what i am asking,
it was just a thought,
but i will definitely look into it more

bogan
19th June 2015, 17:38
yea that is what i am asking,
it was just a thought,
but i will definitely look into it more

Start with the ignition coil, it's the bit that makes the 10,000 to 20,000V spark.

If you up voltage on the coils supply side (assuming you can do this and it isn't already a fancy CDI version), you'll fuck it cos there will be too much current/heat.

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 17:42
ah thanks Bogan that puts things in better perspective for me

mossy1200
19th June 2015, 17:51
ah thanks Bogan that puts things in better perspective for me

Im thinking your thinking about the prim side of the coils. If your after more spark then its different coils as an option and researching would be a good idea to see what other people have used and the results for your bike. Maybe better spark plug type is the even better idea.

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 17:53
oh my bike is running sweet for now it was just more questioning and thinking and trying to understand the best i can

mossy1200
19th June 2015, 17:59
oh my bike is running sweet for now it was just more questioning and thinking and trying to understand the best i can

And put your bike in the profile so people don't wonder what bike your asking questions about.

husaberg
19th June 2015, 18:34

Is that you nodrog?

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 18:39
nope it is me Nobbsie

nodrog
19th June 2015, 18:58
Is that you nodrog?

http://sparkplugmagazine.com/spark2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/wallpaper-albert-einstein-scientist-physicist-theorist-face-tongue-750x410.jpg

FJRider
19th June 2015, 19:00

Actually ... you should expect upwards of 20,000 volts. Some reach about 40,000 ...

You don't know much about vehicle electrical systems do you .. ??? :killingme

husaberg
19th June 2015, 19:04
http://sparkplugmagazine.com/spark2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/wallpaper-albert-einstein-scientist-physicist-theorist-face-tongue-750x410.jpg

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 19:04
no i am so crap but im slowly getting better

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 19:22
Actually ... you should expect upwards of 20,000 volts. Some reach about 40,000 ...

You don't know much about vehicle electrical systems do you
seems you don't either, the voltage isn't that high very often as if you can't crack it with less there's another issue

bogan
19th June 2015, 19:29
seems you don't either, the voltage isn't that high very often as if you can't crack it with less there's another issue

Right you are, to measure it that high you'd have to pull the lead off the plug; which could be an issue :laugh:

To nobbsie, Voltage is just on aspect of a spark. The energy of it is another which can be visibly seen as how bright and fat (and hot)it is, and is the important bit for ignition; hence the term 'weak spark'.

FJRider
19th June 2015, 19:33

https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/how-spark-plugs-work

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 19:54
https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/how-spark-plugs-work

and you believe that shit????? real
ity is that most electrical coils and cables simply couldn't stand that rate without their insulation breaking down, as i said, if it can't work with less voltage there's other things to sort before crowing off about how high your voltage is that's masking another issue.
try searching further if you need to.

FJRider
19th June 2015, 20:09
and you believe that shit????? real
ity is that most electrical coils and cables simply couldn't stand that rate without their insulation breaking down, as i said, if it can't work with less voltage there's other things to sort before crowing off about how high your voltage is that's masking another issue.
try searching further if you need to.

Google the purpose of the coil.

And educate yourself.

It's not the volts that do damage ... it's the amps ... and the amps to the plugs are low.

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 20:21

And educate yourself.

It's not the volts that do damage ... it's the amps ... and the amps to the plugs are low.

bullshit, amps are current flow, volts is pressure in essence, same as water pressure, been a sparky for 38 years i should know, the higher the pressure (volts) the higher spec the components need to be to withhold the extra 'pressure'.

ellipsis
19th June 2015, 20:29
...i was waiting for that...

bogan
19th June 2015, 20:30

And educate yourself.

No it's the volts that do damage to insulation in HT leads, generally in conjunction with heat (provided by the engine and to a much smaller degree, the amps); and often with a grounding source coming closer than normal (wedged in frame, water running to contacts, etc).

The coil's purpose is to create a high energy spark, the voltage is simply a threshold for its creation, not a benchmark to measure the strength of what has been created.

FJRider
19th June 2015, 20:36
No it's the volts that do damage to insulation in HT leads

What voltage would that be .. ?? <_<

ellipsis
19th June 2015, 20:38
...i suspected a return like that...

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 20:56

fuck off and do your nerd search somewhere else and leave this place to the grown ups

Kickaha
19th June 2015, 20:59
and leave this place to the grown ups

You'd be fucking lucky to be included in that category

nodrog
19th June 2015, 20:59
fuck off and do your nerd search somewhere else and leave this place to the grown ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

ellipsis
19th June 2015, 21:00
...and that was right on cue, too...

bogan
19th June 2015, 21:05

The one which is enough to create an electrical path through it. Can be pretty low if the leads are in manky condition. And of course if it gets lower than the spark voltage, then you got a big problem.

The thing is, voltage caused damage is rather instant because it is concentrated heat buildup on a very very small site <0.001mm3 of insulation sorta size (why condensors make points last so much longer); while current caused damage take much longer by comparison, as it builds up heat on a much larger scale. With HT leads the duty cycle and current are far far to small to do damage by the latter method.

Sometimes knowing you know slightly more than not much is much more dangerous than knowing you don't know much at all :msn-wink:

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 21:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

you've lost weight since they filmed that

nodrog
19th June 2015, 21:19
you've lost weight since they filmed that

I called jenny.

jellywrestler
19th June 2015, 21:25
I called jenny.

more like she's on your speed dial!

nodrog
19th June 2015, 21:34
more like she's on your speed dial!

What? Some fat bitch is on my throttle?

FJRider
19th June 2015, 21:45

So ... why are you here then ... ??

FJRider
19th June 2015, 21:46
The one which is enough to create an electrical path through it. Can be pretty low if the leads are in manky condition. And of course if it gets lower than the spark voltage, then you got a big problem.

The thing is, voltage caused damage is rather instant because it is concentrated heat buildup on a very very small site <0.001mm3 of insulation sorta size (why condensors make points last so much longer); while current caused damage take much longer by comparison, as it builds up heat on a much larger scale. With HT leads the duty cycle and current are far far to small to do damage by the latter method.

Sometimes knowing you know slightly more than not much is much more dangerous than knowing you don't know much at all :msn-wink:

Translation ... you don't know .. :killingme

bogan
19th June 2015, 21:50
Translation ... you don't know .. :killingme

Of course not, in new leads it would be well over 50kV, as the leads age and get manky it would decrease, if they are installed improperly it would decrease, etc etc. How could you possibly expect me to give a single number for what is clearly a sliding scale? I mean you may as well try and give us an exactly figure for amperage which would damage them as per your 'theory' <_<

FJRider
19th June 2015, 21:53
Of course not, in new leads it would be well over 50kV, as the leads age and get manky it would decrease, if they are installed improperly it would decrease, etc etc. How could you possibly expect me to give a single number for what is clearly a sliding scale? I mean you may as well try and give us an exactly figure for amperage which would damage them as per your 'theory' <_<

I would suggest Google is your friend ... but my guess is you have no friends ... good luck with that ... :killingme

bogan
19th June 2015, 21:58
I would suggest Google is your friend ... but my guess is you have no friends ... good luck with that ... :killingme

*sighs, anyone else with fond memories of when the mech sections focused on mech issues instead of mental issues?

FJRider
19th June 2015, 22:00
*sighs, anyone else with fond memories of when the mech sections focused on mech issues instead of mental issues?

I've never much worried about YOUR problems ... <_<

Kickaha
19th June 2015, 22:03

It was heavily moderated to keep it like that, anything not connected to the topic was PDed

husaberg
19th June 2015, 22:06
It was heavily moderated to keep it like that, anything not connected to the topic was PDed

Heavy moderation?:msn-wink:

FJRider
19th June 2015, 22:08

I'm sure Moderation as it stands currently will decide. Moderators listed for this section is posted in the expected places on this site. Contact them directly if you have ANY concerns ... <_<

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 22:10
speaking of leads does anyone know where i can buy ignition cable in ak tomorrow, and rubber boots?

ellipsis
19th June 2015, 22:22
...i must be getting old...

FJRider
19th June 2015, 22:26
speaking of leads does anyone know where i can buy ignition cable in ak tomorrow, and rubber boots?

What do you wish to ignite ... ??? :eek:

Gumboots are on special at the Red Shed ... :msn-wink:

bogan
19th June 2015, 22:32

In a pinch you can get car leads to work (risky as there is a far higher chance of it resulting in a weak spark), often by clipping an end off and putting a hole down the center for the coil pin to go in as bike connectors tend to be different. The plug end likely just needs to have the little screw on gubbins to make the plug lead larger diameter. But if you want to do it properly it'll be a bike shop, and chances are high they will need to order them in. By boots I'm assuming you mean the rubber section that fits over the plug, these are molded into the leads so come with.

Nobbsie
19th June 2015, 22:38
guess it will be missions on tomorrow,

FJRider
19th June 2015, 23:06
guess it will be missions on tomorrow,

Find an auto electrician that is open and ask their advice.

But if truth and facts aren't your thing ... Ask Bogan ... :laugh:

Kickaha
20th June 2015, 15:54
Contact them directly if you have ANY concerns ... <_<
If it was being done properly you wouldn't need to

jellywrestler
20th June 2015, 16:05
Gumboots are on special at the Red Shed ... :msn-wink: by the level of knowledge you posses i'd pick you probably work there...

Tazz
20th June 2015, 20:21
FYI, you're arguing with a guy that advises to check tyre pressures when they're hot... Take from that what you will.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 18:37
The original question ...

MY answer ....

You don't know much about vehicle electrical systems do you .. ??? :killingme

Jellywrestler's reply ...

Bogans reply ...

And Iimdying (via red rep) claims I don't understand ... mmmmmmmmmmmm

The varying numbers posted .... WHO DOES .. ???

ellipsis
27th June 2015, 20:07
... WHO DOES .. ???

...who does what?...and in what order?...

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:13
been a sparky for 38 years i should know.

Fuck you're an old cunt.

jellywrestler
27th June 2015, 20:37
Fuck you're an old cunt.

i was born at a very early age...

FJRider
27th June 2015, 21:33
i was born at a very early age...

Some may regret you didn't die at an early age too ... :calm:

Tazz
27th June 2015, 23:57
Some may regret you didn't die at an early age too ... :calm:
What's your excuse? Coat hanger still stuck halfway through your swede or something? :calm:

T.W.R
28th June 2015, 10:26
:rolleyes: typical tripe & waffle of KB when someones after a plain answer :weird:

Basically CDI ignition produces upto 500v supplied to the primary winding of the coil...averaging around 400v
secondary winding of the coil is usually 100:1 ratio theoretically producing 40,000v (but only in theory). In the combustion chamber
5,000 - 10,000v is more than enough.
Then for perfect spark a lot of maths is involved with spark duration, spark plug gap, mixture ratio, compression ratio etc etc.
Average ideal voltage is the 5k-10k area for most motorcycle engines :niceone:

Nobbsie
29th June 2015, 21:30
Sweet thanks man!