PDA

View Full Version : L plate - should I? Do you?

SlowHand
22nd September 2005, 15:38
Who here used an L plate in the past? who chose not to? would you?
Im just weighing up my options. 70kmh is a joke, so do you do over 70 and have an Lplate, dont worry about it etc.

Also, if you don't have an L plate, does it make insurance void?

vifferman
22nd September 2005, 15:41
Im just weighing up my options. 70kmh is a joke, so do you do over 70 and have an Lplate, dont worry about it etc.

You didn't search on this one, didja?
The consensus seems to be that the best bet is to bolt one on your bike, snap it off, then stick the remains in your pack or under the seat. oh - and travel at the same speed as the traffic, while not doing anything mental to stick out (like weaving erratically, lane-splitting at 90km/h, riding on one wheel standing on the tank, etc.

Warren
22nd September 2005, 15:55

I don't think it will affect insurance (it never has with me) but if you get pulled over by a cop and act like a fuckwit then they can fine you for breaching the terms of L license, but when I have been pulled over they have not even mentioned it.

limbimtimwim
22nd September 2005, 16:01
Im just weighing up my options. 70kmh is a joke, so do you do over 70 and have an Lplate, dont worry about it etc.I rode around for a year and a half (including around most NZ) on my learners with no L plate. I am not saying do it, just you probably won't get caught if you don't do anything wrong. I went straight through an intersection that had a turn arrow painted and got a ticket while on my learners. Mr policeman was very nice, gave me a ticket for the not following the arrow and wondered out loud something like "Oh dear! Your L plate has fallen off (It was never there ever of course) you better get that fixed or the fine will be much bigger.."
Also, if you don't have an L plate, does it make insurance void?Most likely.. So on retrospect I was a total asshole to everyone else out there, if I had damaged their stuff I imagine my 3rd party insurance wouldn't have kicked in.

Just get off your learners as fast as possible..

The Stranger
22nd September 2005, 16:24
The road code says you must display an L plate of a certain dimension under certain circumstances.

Is there a law saying you may NOT display an L plate?

ie I have my full. Is there any law against displaying an L plate and travelling at 100kmh?

**R1**
22nd September 2005, 16:42
hehehe rambling idiot.......sory cant contribute anything helpfull, i have had tickets for both offences tho..and something like 42 speeding infringments(i would recomend not speeding)

Ixion
22nd September 2005, 16:43
The road code says you must display an L plate of a certain dimension under certain circumstances.

Is there a law saying you may NOT display an L plate?

ie I have my full. Is there any law against displaying an L plate and travelling at 100kmh?

Yes. There is. Unless you are teaching a learner, or on your way to do so, or a driving instructor.

Patrick
22nd September 2005, 16:50
Everyone seems to agree that doing 70 on the highway at night is completely dangerous... Basic handling skill teechas even say "go with the flow..."

Don't attract attention to yourself and all is good...

madboy
22nd September 2005, 17:18
LOL... an L plate... talk about asking for trouble. I'm told cars aim for you and are deliberately obnoxious, but I've never EVER ridden with an L plate.

400cc, no insurance and sometimes carried a pillion, occasionally slowed to 70, but usually kept my lane-splitting to 100k+... oh, hang on, I'm supposed to be showing maturity here and encouraging those not as experienced to learn in the correct way!

I got an exemption to ride the 400 for my CBTA.

IMHO an L plate is a target. If you look confident, ride with the flow and don't make any rude gestures at cops, then you'll prob be fine. Just don't start visibly shaking when you roll up next to the Highway Patrol at an intersection...

SlowHand
22nd September 2005, 19:17
vifferman - snapped, no i didnt. The snap of thing is the highest on the list. I just wanted to do a poll on the thing and see whe majority was.

madboy - shaking erratically thing - when we first got our full cage licence we used to do that just to see what the cops would do. Only got one bite. He just leaned out the window and said, how old are you fellas? Do you have your full licence?
And we did get a nible, the two young smurfs just pointed at us and laughed.

R6_kid
22nd September 2005, 19:35
i didnt comply to either, just didnt be a fool. Its a personal choice at the end of the day. I got warned once but never got 'caught' as such. Its $400 if you do get caught, and another $400 per licence rule you breach.

skelstar
22nd September 2005, 20:00
Still on my L but removed it after two weeks. Do 200-300km trips on the weekend with litre bikes so it would be kinda ridiculous. Have/choose to commute to work on the motorway with realistic 100km/h speeds which would be dangerous at 70km/h. I had two incidents in two weeks of L-plating to convince me that wankers in BMW 4WDs are going to aim for you.

ZorsT
22nd September 2005, 20:22
Get an L plate from repco, they are made from cloth so they bend around things. I have mine duct taped above my number plate, with my WOF sticker holder blocking a quarter of it. Its pretty hidden as nothing pokes out from the normal places, and only two thirds is actually visible because of the duct tape and wof sticker holder. Seems to work for me

Oh, and I tried doing 70Kph once... NEVER AGAIN

I even passed a mufty cop on a passing lane...

Gremlin
23rd September 2005, 00:09
I have the L plate on all the time, and have never ever followed the 70 rule. Go with the flow, don't act like an idiot and look to be in control. I travel in traffic, motorways, country etc. Basically, when I get the restricted other than getting rid of that square, nothing will change.

The way I see it, yes, I am breaking a rule, but I have a reason. Obeying the 70 = suicide. I reckon I could level with the officer and explain my reasoning calmly and hopefully he would understand.

If I get pulled over on a learner license with no L plate, then there is no excuse I can see (except for the "broke off" - which I'm sure all cops know by now).

As many have said before in other threads, if a cop is having a bad day and wants to hit you with something, then he will most likely find something anyway.

nudemetalz
23rd September 2005, 15:40
An L Plate isn't that bad. I had to have one on my bike because I work for NZ Post delivering the mail. It's a $400 fine if you're caught without an L plate while on your learners. You're only on your learners for 6 months, so what's the big deal?

skelstar
23rd September 2005, 15:43
You're only on your learners for 6 months, so what's the big deal?
The theory for me is that i ride on the motorway every day and over the HILL on the weekends and I have had a couple of very close calls because, i believe, I had a learner plate on. others will confirm this. and drawing attention to yourself riding at 100km/h (safer speed) on the motorway with a big yellow sign saying otherwise on the back of your bike is just silly. :)

nudemetalz
23rd September 2005, 16:09
Ok, I see your point. To be honest I never had one on my own bike, just on the work one. How long have you been on your learners for now and when are you getting your restricted?

Sniper
23rd September 2005, 16:10
I never owned an L plate. And Im a good model rider :devil2:

Pancakes
23rd September 2005, 16:13
I nearly took mine off then on the way home that day got pulled for splitting. (Gap closed out so I oulled in in front of an undie cop). Got $150-00 tax for the splitting and he said he would have done me for no L plate if I didn't have it. Said he doesn't care about the 70k thing and people that get snapped for 70k+ in their learners are normally doing something else dumb (other than 70k+) but less tangible so the cop chooses to do them for that. I have gotten a bit lax with splitting and cops too and if you look like your in control they seem to leave you alone. Oh, and I've never noticed someone deliberatly being a dick cos of the L plate (but I have cycled heaps and I'm used to how cars are to 2 wheelers normally). Good lauck with what ever you do and a lesson. Yesterday a car (mum and the kids) turned right into the road I was going to turn left into. I nearly gapped it to beat her so she didn't ruin my favourite corners but refrained and there was acop just around the bend. I rolled past "all Mr nice guy" and then she pulled into the next driveway and I still had the road to myself. Just having a cruise even when you don't want to (I know it's hard) may mean you get to ride again tomorrow.

TraD_MaN
25th September 2005, 11:28
i ride with my L plate all the time i dont wana get snapped for no L plate and plus i got jack all bike skills im a newbie newbie :blink: but on the open rode i travel at the speedlimit because im sick of nealy getting taken out or droven off the road by these dumb arse cage drivers, grrr they get me mad! well some of them :bash:

sunhuntin
25th September 2005, 16:47
i wear the l plate, minus one corner....cut that off after mum noticed she couldnt see my indicator my first day on the road and she followed me [and what a trip that was :blip: ]
on the open road, i stuck to the 70 rule once, and never again. now she settles in nicely at just over 100, and even then i still get run off the road at times. i ride well within my lane, rarely overtake and dont do anything to attract attention as far as i know.

as for the l plate being a target...id agree with that. the number of cars i have right up my exhaust coming down the hill...even tapping the brakes to flash my light doesnt make them back off. grrrrr...sometimes feel like having a huge l plate patch made up and putting it on my jacket....then theyd have to see it. but then itd likely make it worse

mdb
25th September 2005, 20:05
What is the point of an L plate (i.e. why do you 'have' to have one)?
I only put one on my bike (years ago now), when I went to get my restricted. It came off before I left the testing depot!

Storm
25th September 2005, 20:28
S' a funny thing, a lot of them do that. Must be a manufacturing fault :whistle:

sunhuntin
26th September 2005, 16:19
What is the point of an L plate (i.e. why do you 'have' to have one)?
I only put one on my bike (years ago now), when I went to get my restricted. It came off before I left the testing depot!

thats a good question...and the answer is so the idiot drivers whove been on the road for years can aim for learners and teach them how to be idiot drivers to, by tailgating, cutting off, passing when its not safe and all that good shit :mad:

Aitch
26th September 2005, 16:50
IThe way I see it, yes, I am breaking a rule, but I have a reason. Obeying the 70 = suicide. I reckon I could level with the officer and explain my reasoning calmly and hopefully he would understand.

If I get pulled over on a learner license with no L plate, then there is no excuse I can see (except for the "broke off" - which I'm sure all cops know by now).

As many have said before in other threads, if a cop is having a bad day and wants to hit you with something, then he will most likely find something anyway.

just hope he's filled his quota for the week....

burnzup
27th September 2005, 08:23
Acting on good advice I didn't put an L plate on my bike. I got spotted having a bit of bother starting the bike. The cop wasn't interested in my difficulties and fined me $400 for not displaying one. An expensive lesson. I go on the motorway - averaging 100-110 kms and haven't been stopped. It seems to be OK if you keep up with the other traffic and ride safely.

spada
28th September 2005, 22:15
Nothing really to worry about as long as you don't do any thing stupid. I went the whole time on my learners with no L plate and going 100 on the motorway and the like. Then one day when I was two days from my test I decided to uder take some cars at the lights. Bad move as the was a cop in a side road. Out come the lights on goes the siren. That will be $800 thanks. :crybaby: "aye what! why?" no L plate and going faster then a seventy. Moral of the story. As long as ya not stupid on the bike and give the cops no reason to pull you over you should be fine.

roks
30th September 2005, 18:01
I'll be using an L Plate, at least for awhile, as a way of letting drivers know that I'm a newbie to motorbike riding. It may accidentally fall off once I am more capable and comfy making the change from a car to a bike :whistle:

motorbyclist
19th September 2007, 18:24
while on my learners my L plate got stolen so i only put a new one on for the test... i kept off the motorways, but did get up around 100 on my road as that was the limit

what's with all the L plate threads?

captain_andrey
21st September 2007, 11:40
I have my L plate but its one of those laminated paper ones. Its cello taped under my license plate and at high speed it bends to almost horizontal and you cant actually see it until you are right behind me.

Ive had no problem going with the flow on motorways (which can be up to 120km/h on wellington motorway)

I think if you dont do anything stupid you are quite safe going full speed with L plate.

I did have a few problems with cars trying to race me etc but nothing major. (Some 50 year old guy in a Porsche boxer )

Rosie
21st September 2007, 12:48
what's with all the L plate threads?

What's with dredging one up from two years ago? :spudwhat:

avgas
21st September 2007, 13:09
On a 750 you dont have the option.
Your a rambling idiot ha.

motorbyclist
21st September 2007, 20:25
What's with dredging one up from two years ago? :spudwhat:

what? i got a subscription notification email thingy and thought it was weird that it was for the 3rd L plate thread i'd seen that day

how the hell i got subscribed is beyond me... i've only been a member a month

Terminated
21st September 2007, 20:45
I was very fortunate when I had my Learners Licence because I could choose the time of day whenever I wanted to go for a ride.

I left the L-Plate on the whole time, and going into Wellington from Stokes Valley, I joined the motorway at Petone and took the first exit at Ngauranga, and the reverse coming back. I avoided going right through to the Terrace Tunnel until I was well into my Restricted.

I appreciate and accept a lot of riders commute and are in the thick of traffic and staying at 70kph shhhh, but I would like to think that all those that do remove their L-Plate and travel at 100kph have at least gone out in the boondocks somewhere and done some emergency braking practice from 100kph.

If a genuine learner rider chooses to ride above there skill level and hasn't at least done some emergency routines then there is not much else for me to say....Bottom Line - ride within your skill competence level.

For those in Wellington that may want to do some Saturday morning riding practise here is the link:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=56369

Heads Up and Enjoy

disenfranchised
21st September 2007, 21:12
I've still got my L plate on. It's been over a year since I got my learners, and I'm not in any rush to pay for my restricted.

I don't worry about the 70k speed limit at all..I guess if I see a cop around me I might throttle back a bit.

And I never have any trouble with drivers aiming for me...but maybe that's cause I'm not ever "holding up traffic" so to speak.

Coldrider
22nd September 2007, 00:03
When I got my licence learners was a provisional licence, the L plate was the rego sticker, white background with coloured 'L', so you had no choice.
If there is a learner in front of me I would like to know, can make allowances for extra anticipations. Otherwise i could be in my mean red commodore filling up your mirrors (nah just joking). Is there really a feeling that L plates attract drivers to drive closer to learners?
If I was to incite anyone to not display an L plate or to exceed 70 Kph could I be charged with 'aiding & abbetting', I think so.

motorbyclist
22nd September 2007, 00:07
ok, unsubscribing

Spuds1234
22nd September 2007, 03:23
I left mine on for a year, and only took it off when I had to ride late at night. I never felt like I was a target.

I didnt take passengers, and regularly broke the 70kmh rule on the open road and highways.

As has been pointed out, so long as your not doing anything stupid then you'll be right.

Sidewinder
22nd September 2007, 05:52
omg who gives a f**k. ive been done heaps with out a L plate.
got done once doing over 160kmph.

anyway why ask people what you should do. if you have the balls to do it do so if not then dont worry

Hawkeye
22nd September 2007, 07:57
Had the 'L' on for the whole time until I got my restricted. Never felt like a target. I didn't however stick to the 70k as I value life too much. I just made sure that I rode to the conditions and didn't do anything to attract attention.

I agree totally with BB1. It's easy to twist the wrist and take it up to 100k+, but you also need the skill to get back to 0k safely.
Even now that I'm on my full, I don't bring attention to myself on my daily commute to Wellingtoon. Yes I split, but only when the cages are moving at a slow pace. As soon as the speed increases, I drop back into the flow with the traffic.
I leave the fun part to the weekend where I don't need to go over the 100 and push my luck with Mr plod. I push it other ways. I'm sure there are others here that will disagree but I don't need to go 100+ over the Takas to have fun. There are not many places on there that allow you get even close to the 100k anyway.
(or is it that I ride like a nana).

davereid
22nd September 2007, 18:17
Its been posted a zillion times... but

It costs $400 not to display it.
It will invalidate your insurance if you crash and your insurer hears of it.

The law is vague - I can't be bothered looking it up again, but basically you have to display the plate, at the rear of the bike, so it is visable to all.

So put it on the left hand side of your bike, at the rear. Maybe on the swing arm. Maybe on the number plate, facing forward as long as it is all visable - even if only from the front.

Donor
22nd September 2007, 19:17
Frankly, those that say riding with an L plate on is an attractant for cagers are fucking paranoid, and are victims of bad fortune rather than some 4 wheeled vendetta against learner license riders.

I have consulted with many police officers, some I know on a social basis, the majority I do not, and the consensus is that so long as an L plater rides to the speed limit (whether 100 or below) and doesn't make a skidMark of them self, then then they have nothing to fear.

Those caught in random or otherwise stops without the appropriate plastic on the rear, deserve to have the $400 ticket.

Personally, I'm with the coppers on this one.

klingon
23rd September 2007, 12:47
Frankly, those that say riding with an L plate on is an attractant for cagers are fucking paranoid, and are victims of bad fortune rather than some 4 wheeled vendetta against learner license riders...

I disagree, Donor. When I started riding with my L-plate on, I noticed people doing all sorts of dangerous stuff to me - tailgating, overtaking on medians, overtaking at speed then cutting in dangerously close etc. I've been driving in Auckland traffic for many years, so I knew this was more than your standard Auckland incompetence/aggression.

At first I thought "maybe this is how all bikes get treated" but then my partner took my bike out a few times. He's been riding for years and is extremely competent and confident, but when he was riding my bike with the 'L' on it, people treated him like shit and did all the same things they had been doing to me!

So yeah, I wasn't imagining it.

On the other hand, what I couldn't notice was how many people were extra courteous to me because of the 'L'. Maybe they followed further away, left me more room for my hill-starts and would have been more patient if I'd stalled. I have no way of knowing.

Of course there are also other factors that come into play. I'm obviously female, ride a smallish bike and try to behave courteously to other road users. Any of those things could cause me to be more of a target than my partner who is obviously male, dresses in black leather and an irridium visor, and whose bike could easily deafen innocent bystanders if he revved it close by. :devil2:

I displayed an L-plate for the entire time I was on my learner's. I balanced the pros and cons and made my own decision, so I'm not going to advise people to take off their L-plate. But nor am I paranoid. I just say you have to be even MORE careful if you're going to send a message to other drivers saying "I'm new to this... please be gentle with me.:baby:" Because half of them will be gentle and the other half will act like insecure bullies.

caesius
24th September 2007, 23:24
Yeah I got pinged $400 for no plate, but I was speeding at the time. It's ridiculous,

Speeding: $170 fine
No stupid bit of plastic: $400

Does that mean no L-plate's 2.35 times more dangerous than speeding?

Ice_Monsta
25th September 2007, 20:30
First day on my bike, pull out of my first street, riding along and a car passes me (when i didn't have an L plate).

Stopped got an L plate put on and all the traffic apart from a caged asian man (not intending to be racist but he fitted the stereotype) refused to let me merge in front of him. In fact i got in front of him and he went into the other lane to go around me. However most other drivers tended to stay a lot further back which made me feel more comfortable etc

Anyways, i'm going to stick with the L plate, have had my license for a while so once im confident i'll probably just go do the restricted and live with the L plate until then. fines are not my friend

blue eyed savage
25th September 2007, 21:19
im on my L and i just ride, road, how do u spell that anyway. went from the grate NAKI to christchurch and there is no way in hell im going to do 70kph who the hell thourt up that, some person who drives a desk! and if i had a l plate on and i cop came up behind me he woud do me over so i just stay on 100kph and is all good. just ride safe and the copes dont bother you.
ps if you do 110kph and get f**ked/pulled over you can lose your licence for being 40kph over the speed limet.

delusionz
25th September 2007, 21:52
Wise point about not jumping straight into the 100km/h zones... Definitely the motorway was a place I avoided for the first few weeks

delusionz
25th September 2007, 21:55
ps if you do 110kph and get f**ked/pulled over you can lose your licence for being 40kph over the speed limet.

doesn't that apply to posted limits? It would just be a case of breach of license terms - 400 bux and 25 demerits or something like that

Vapor
25th September 2007, 22:10
I did'nt put an L plate on when I got my learners, and lasted about 2 months before I got my first warning, then 2 weeks later, got pulled over by the same cop and got a $400 fine. (Fair enough) seeing as I got a warning. But I put an L-plate on straight away after that, and got seen multiple times on the motorway by cops who didn't pull me over once for going 110kmp/h.

So, I would'nt want to risk the $400 fine.

Unless you are rich ;) lol

SlowHand
2nd October 2007, 13:04
On a 750 you dont have the option.
Your a rambling idiot ha.

Oh no, the people have spoken. It's official. Do I get a badge?

for the record tho, never had the L plate on till my restricted test.

spudgun007
5th October 2007, 17:29
What i did was break the corner of my L plate and blue tack it on the back...that way i could use the god old "it must of broke off" routine and have a lil evidence for the copper.

Deviant
8th October 2007, 18:56
I got pulled over on Thursday night at 11:30pm in New Lynn.

I had purchased L plates but not picked them up. It was after 11 anyway.

The cop was a really nice guy. He warned me it would have been $800 if he had decided to write out the ticket, but if I promised to get the plates and not let him catch me again, then I could go straight home. I have one on now (although there wasn't much room to put it that was visible :S ).

Now, I say you should wear it, because I really can't afford to lose $400 or $800 right now, and I don't think you would like to either.

discotex
9th October 2007, 10:29
The cop was a really nice guy. He warned me it would have been $800 if he had decided to write out the ticket

I take it the $800 was $400 for no L plate and $400 for out of hours?

I'm surprised you got away with the "out of licence hours" ticket. Who says coppers are all about quota. Here you were in breach of two licence conditions and he let you off. Nice :Police:

Mikkel
9th October 2007, 11:25
Well as I see it... not wearing the L plate is just another thing you can get slammed for if you manage to aggravate the fuzz.

There are five specific conditions on our learners license:

1. Wear an L plate at all times (can't remember what it says about placement).
2. Do not exceed 70 km/h at any time.
3. Do not drive between 10 pm and 5 am. (Applies to restricted as well)
4. Do not ride a motorcycle larger than 250 cc. (Applies to restricted as well)
5. Do not carry a passenger. (Applies to restricted as well)

If you get done breaking one of these conditions it can set you back NZ$400 and 25 demerit points. If you get caught breaking two that's NZ$800 and 50 demerit points. In other words - try to minimise the damage, your ass belongs to the cops anyway!

Getting caught doing 110 km/h not wearing a L plate you could get fined $800 and 50 demerit points for breaching license conditions and then you can add whatever the penalty for doing 10 km/h above the speed limit is (the speed limit is 100 km/h - not 70. That you're not allowed to exceed 70 is a specific restriction and carries it's own penalty).

My personal opinion is that restrictions 4 and 5 makes good sense. If you're a new driver (i.e. doesn't hold a full license already) I think that the other restrictions makes some sense - but if you've held a full car license for 5 years you will have some grasp of how traffic moves, what to look out for, etc. and the learners period doesn't make any sense whatsoever. But it's not that easy to put down rules though - however sitting at 70 km/h on the open road is downright stupid, and the police realise as much.

Deviant
9th October 2007, 22:24
I fully agree with both previous posts. HTe rules are there for a reason, not revenue collection (in this case!).

And yes, he was really nice about it. $800 would have seriously f***ed me, I'm in the middle of one of those times where even a small fine would be a major issue. Even if I wasn't, $800 is a big sum of cash.

EJK
10th October 2007, 10:44
Some newbies says "Having an L plate makes you look noob, Also get abused by some cage drivers"
But thats not true, I bet a single bus driver gets more abuse than every L plated Motorcyclist combined.

Yossarian
13th October 2007, 12:14
I don't understand the "stigma" of displaying an L plate. I have been in situations where I have stalled in front of cars (at lights) and collected my thoughts, and gone on my way again.
It makes other people aware that you will make mistakes, as I have and will continue to do so, and if they are normal they will not go totally mental if you stall infront of anyone, like I did last week in front of a big SUV, the bloke went nuts, shaking his fist and all that! Then I remembered " ahhh....I've got a big yellow L plate on the back " put the bike in gear and went on my way.
No problems.

Snowcarver04
17th October 2007, 20:45
Well as I see it... not wearing the L plate is just another thing you can get slammed for if you manage to aggravate the fuzz.

There are five specific conditions on our learners license:

1. Wear an L plate at all times (can't remember what it says about placement).
2. Do not exceed 70 km/h at any time.
3. Do not drive between 10 pm and 5 am. (Applies to restricted as well)
4. Do not ride a motorcycle larger than 250 cc. (Applies to restricted as well)
5. Do not carry a passenger. (Applies to restricted as well)

If you get done breaking one of these conditions it can set you back NZ$400 and 25 demerit points. If you get caught breaking two that's NZ$800 and 50 demerit points. In other words - try to minimise the damage, your ass belongs to the cops anyway!

Getting caught doing 110 km/h not wearing a L plate you could get fined $800 and 50 demerit points for breaching license conditions and then you can add whatever the penalty for doing 10 km/h above the speed limit is (the speed limit is 100 km/h - not 70. That you're not allowed to exceed 70 is a specific restriction and carries it's own penalty).

My personal opinion is that restrictions 4 and 5 makes good sense. If you're a new driver (i.e. doesn't hold a full license already) I think that the other restrictions makes some sense - but if you've held a full car license for 5 years you will have some grasp of how traffic moves, what to look out for, etc. and the learners period doesn't make any sense whatsoever. But it's not that easy to put down rules though - however sitting at 70 km/h on the open road is downright stupid, and the police realise as much.

Why does everyone misinterpret the restrictions on the learner license. The 70km/hr rule ONLY applies to OPEN ROADS and a motorway, highway or any other road is not an open road. These are marked with a white road signs with a black cross.

Pasted from LTSA website>>>

You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road.

:angry2::angry2::angry2:

MaxCannon
17th October 2007, 21:15
Can't say I've noticed any change in driver behavior after removing my L plate.
I actually left it on for two weeks after I did my test as my mate was borrowing the bike to sit his restricted.
While I was on my L I rode after 10pm a couple of time and never stuck to 70kph on the open RD

The hours rule is a waste of time for anyone with a full car licence. I've been driving for 15 years and it's just as dark at 7pm as it is at midnight. I'd argue it's probably safer to be riding late at night due to lower traffic volumes (drunken / stoned driver factor not withstanding).
For younger drivers just starting out I agree with it but I think anyone with 2 years or more experience behind the wheel should be able ride or drive regardless of what time it is.

The 70kph rule is dangerous. At that speed you are a traffic hazard.
I tried it the first two times I took the bike out and just about got steamrollered.
From then on I have riden at the speed the traffic is going, be that 100 or faster or slower.

delusionz
18th October 2007, 02:01
Why does everyone misinterpret the restrictions on the learner license. The 70km/hr rule ONLY applies to OPEN ROADS and a motorway, highway or any other road is not an open road. These are marked with a white road signs with a black cross.

Pasted from LTSA website>>>

You must not go faster than 70 km/h on the open road.

:angry2::angry2::angry2:

This has been debated time and time again, if you dig deeper into the site other than that one phrase leaving it up to interpretation you'll find somewhere that you're wrong about that. Here's for logic, one reason to limit a learner to 70kph could be to slow them down on the motorway (fuck knows why), but they can travel 80kph in an 80kph zone if they like. Or, the other possible reason is to slow them down to 70kph on all public roads (my interpretation of open road) because they are learning how to ride a bike for the first time so they shouldn't go too fast.

Yes we all know 70kph is slow, but if we're here posting about it we're obviously not so inexperienced to need that sort of restraint.

discotex
18th October 2007, 09:55
Why does everyone misinterpret the restrictions on the learner license.

I dunno... What are you misinterpreting the meaning of open road?

An open road is a non-closed road. That means all roads that aren't closed to the public e.g. a track or private property.

Snowcarver04
18th October 2007, 15:00
This has been debated time and time again, if you dig deeper into the site other than that one phrase leaving it up to interpretation you'll find somewhere that you're wrong about that. Here's for logic, one reason to limit a learner to 70kph could be to slow them down on the motorway (fuck knows why), but they can travel 80kph in an 80kph zone if they like. Or, the other possible reason is to slow them down to 70kph on all public roads (my interpretation of open road) because they are learning how to ride a bike for the first time so they shouldn't go too fast.

Yes we all know 70kph is slow, but if we're here posting about it we're obviously not so inexperienced to need that sort of restraint.

Thats exactly right with the logic part. Why the fuck would they want you to go slower on the motorway. They want you to go slower on an open road because an open road is more dangerous or unpridictable than any other road because there are much fewer warning and danger signs such as recommended speeds for upcoming corners and changes in road surface. Also an open road is generally a much lower grade in surface condition with uneven repair patches etc and have more animals (dead or alive) on the road, unlike motorways and highways which are mint surface condition.

I can't find anywhere that says you must not go over 70 at all times.

I cant be bothered looking but I think New Zealand law would clearly define the differance between an open road and motorway highway and all the rest if you were ticketed for riding over 70km/hr on the motorway.

Has anyone ever had a ticket for going over 70km/hr on a motorway or highway??
h:Police::2guns::Police:

Spuds1234
19th October 2007, 20:35
I was under the impression that anything marked 100 or with an open road sign you must not exceed 70kmh.

If a road is marked at 80, then you can do 80, if its got a 90 sign (do they even make these) then you can do 90.

You cant though do 100, you must do 70 in any area that is marked at either 100 or with an open road sign.

necrolyte
23rd October 2007, 18:52
I'm pretty sure its 70 in anything over a 70km/h area, otherwise what would the point be in going 80 in an 80 etc. Never stopped me doing alot more than that on my L-Plate... just never got caught!

discotex
23rd October 2007, 19:39
I'm pretty sure its 70 in anything over a 70km/h area, otherwise what would the point be in going 80 in an 80 etc. Never stopped me doing alot more than that on my L-Plate... just never got caught!

As I've already dug this out today for the "approved 250" thread.........

Quoted direction from www.legislation.govt.nz (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=718417849&infobase=pal_regs.nfo&jump=r1999-100%2fs.16&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_r1999-100/s.16)

[(d)in the case of a Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a motorcycle, the holder—

(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and

(ii)must not—
(A)drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; or
(B)drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h, unless taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence under clause 48(5); or
(C)drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; or
(D)carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle]

:done:

firefighter
26th October 2007, 11:44
i think people are a little more conscious about a posty all red, they like getting their mail so you probably weren't a target!I took mine off after an incident with a fuckwit 4x4 cager who tailgated the shit out of me and thought he was real intimidating until i got off and panel beated his car for him after he nudged me at the lights

homer
26th October 2007, 12:14
why not just say it must have come off
How can you gurantee it will stay attached

Make sure you have a hole in the number plate and some scuffs from doing it up and undone to make it looked like it worked loose

What im saying is go with out it .
Ive had the whole number plate go missing and havnt noticed for a day or 2