PDA

View Full Version : Nearly killed myself this morning

HenryDorsetCase
2nd July 2015, 13:39
my bike stranded me in the middle of the Curletts Rd Blenheim Rd intersection at 8.55 am. So not quite peak traffic but close to it, at the busiest intersection in the city.

Full on sphincter pucker lemmetellya.

I was going northbound on Curletts heading toward upper riccarton and had split traffic up to the front of the queues. took off from the lights and stalled the bike* and it rolled to a stop about ten feet out from the line. And it would not go again. Dead battery.

It had been on charge too: entirely my fault, I had known it was a bit dodgy for a while and I hadn't been arsed getting it sorted out.

Organised a rescue and a replacement battery and away I go. I have seldom been as scared on a bike as being stopped in the middle of that fucking intersection with traffic passing on my left and my right....... and three lanes queued to my right looking to get me if the ones coming from behind don't.... fark. That could have gone really really badly.

Moral of the story: if you think it is time to replace your battery, it probably is.

*what a fuckwit

Maha
2nd July 2015, 13:46
Standing your ground is all you can do in that situation, only when traffic has thinned out a bit is it safe enough to get off and push it to the curb.

Shall we pass the hat around? :msn-wink:

James Deuce
2nd July 2015, 13:50
Shall we pass the hat around? :msn-wink:

We should just mail a 10 pack of new undies.

Banditbandit
2nd July 2015, 13:58
Triumphs aye ?? Shockingly bad electrics since forever ...

willytheekid
2nd July 2015, 14:03
Sounds like a fun start to the day mate :pinch:

...this winters been mean as to batteries, my year old motobatt is also having issues (Went dead flat during the cold snap the other week...it maybe dying already...damnit!)

-mental note...DONT chance stalling at the lights like Henry lol...must grossly over rev, double pump da clutch, and ensure I launch off on one wheel :niceone: (Sorry officer...mate nearly died doing it your "safe" way :killingme)...yeah, that should work out nicely :yes::cool:

Glad you didnt get clipped Henry...great choice of intersection by the way (couldn't have found a busier one lol)

jasonu
2nd July 2015, 14:21
Does anyone know of someone on KB that might be able to sell this man a high quality, low weight battery at a very reasonable price???

SVboy
2nd July 2015, 15:42
Does anyone know of someone on KB that might be able to sell this man a high quality, low weight battery at a very reasonable price???

I see what you did there!!

Mom
2nd July 2015, 15:56
must grossly over rev, double pump da clutch, and ensure I launch off on one wheel :niceone:

Dont. I actually did that a few years ago, stopped at lights on a slight incline to boot. Somehow I grabbed a big handful of throttle and dumped the clutch. If I hadn't given myself such a big surprise I might have actually enjoyed the resultant wheelie!

vifferman
2nd July 2015, 16:04

...this winters been mean as to batteries, my year old motobatt is also having issues (Went dead flat during the cold snap the other week...it maybe dying already...damnit!)
My Motobatt is some unknown number of years old - at least 5, possibly/probably older. I went against recommendations (to get a Yuasa), and I'm not sorry I did - it's been great.
Now that that is out in the open, it'll probably explode /implode :rolleyes: (but I suspect it's waiting to coordinate its demise with my car battery, which is definitely not happy).

BuzzardNZ
2nd July 2015, 16:41

-mental note...DONT chance stalling at the lights like Henry lol...must grossly over rev, double pump da clutch, and ensure I launch off on one wheel :niceone: (Sorry officer...mate nearly died doing it your "safe" way :killingme)...yeah, that should work out nicely :yes::cool:

Glad you didnt get clipped Henry...great choice of intersection by the way (couldn't have found a busier one lol)

Having had the same thing happen to 3 of my Motobatts under the same conditions as yours, I'd say it's fucked and it won't hold a charge for long. Still, you could try.

BuzzardNZ
2nd July 2015, 16:44
my bike stranded me in the middle of the Curletts Rd Blenheim Rd intersection at 8.55 am. So not quite peak traffic but close to it, at the busiest intersection in the city.

Full on sphincter pucker lemmetellya.

I was going northbound on Curletts heading toward upper riccarton and had split traffic up to the front of the queues. took off from the lights and stalled the bike* and it rolled to a stop about ten feet out from the line. And it would not go again. Dead battery.

It had been on charge too: entirely my fault, I had known it was a bit dodgy for a while and I hadn't been arsed getting it sorted out.

Organised a rescue and a replacement battery and away I go. I have seldom been as scared on a bike as being stopped in the middle of that fucking intersection with traffic passing on my left and my right....... and three lanes queued to my right looking to get me if the ones coming from behind don't.... fark. That could have gone really really badly.

Moral of the story: if you think it is time to replace your battery, it probably is.

*what a fuckwit

Yeah that sounds pretty scary. Years ago one of mine died halfway thru Mt Vic tunnel during rush hour, not a pleasant experience.

RDJ
2nd July 2015, 16:52
I absolutely, 110%, sympathise. Couple of years ago I had a fuel pump go out on me in Knoxville, Tennessee. In the evening, in gangland territory. Yikes. Good that you made it out of there in one piece.

Whenever possible, I keep my battery booked up to a charger; yes, including buying a extension cord so I can charge it when overnighting at a motel. I also carry a spare fuel pump. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

george formby
2nd July 2015, 17:46
My Motobatt is some unknown number of years old - at least 5, possibly/probably older. I went against recommendations (to get a Yuasa), and I'm not sorry I did - it's been great.
Now that that is out in the open, it'll probably explode /implode :rolleyes: (but I suspect it's waiting to coordinate its demise with my car battery, which is definitely not happy).
I had hoped to replace the battery on me bike with a motobatt but none fit so back to the original Yuasa. Been sat for a month in the cold & damp but fired up instantly. Can't really fault them. Last one must have been at least 8 years old before it stuttered.
Been in a similar situation OP, middle of Aberdeen, dark, snowing like a bastard and rush hour. Bike stalled, no kick starty, no lights, lots of pissed off Kilties. It was rubbish and I could sharpen pencils with me date for a week afterwards. But, it was a win.

Oakie
2nd July 2015, 18:04

Here you go.

Kickaha
2nd July 2015, 19:20

*what a fuckwit

I jump started a muppet today with a flat battery, after it started he tells me it's been a bit hard to start for a while now, I felt like stabbing him

...this winters been mean as to batteries
Winter is always mean on batteries, sales double +

T.W.R
2nd July 2015, 19:21
Definitely not a good place for that to happen, tis a big intersection to be stranded in & dodgy at the best of times.
Bet the peeps watching the traffic cam had a :corn: moment.
But it is battery season :shutup: we've sold $4500 worth of them in the last 2wks :yes:

Swoop
2nd July 2015, 19:35
So not quite peak traffic but close to it, at the busiest intersection in the city.

So a horse and cart clip-clopped by, then a donkey went by with a bloke on the back? Traffic, south of the Bombays? Surely not!:cool:

Moi
2nd July 2015, 19:45
So a horse and cart clip-clopped by, then a donkey went by with a bloke on the back? Traffic, south of the Bombays? Surely not!:cool:

That's you crossed off the Christmas card list - especially as you forgot to mention the two cyclists...

george formby
2nd July 2015, 20:00
Eh, tandem?

oldrider
2nd July 2015, 20:17
He who fucks up and walks (pushes his bike) away-lives to ride another day! :ride: many happy returns! :drinknsin

yod
2nd July 2015, 20:22

...wot he said; mines still going strong too, I think it was $85-ish?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/batteries-mounts/auction-908649345.htm

Moi
2nd July 2015, 20:39
Eh, tandem?

No, these two...

http://www.writinglives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Two-women-on-safety-bicycles-2-ha-pennies.jpg

Akzle
2nd July 2015, 21:44
'Nearly killed myself this morning'

...better luck next time.

Erelyes
4th July 2015, 08:37
Winter is always mean on batteries, sales double +

Was walking along tut' road the other day and went past a mazda6 that wasn't starting. She was cranking the thing for a good 5-10 seconds, would wait a couple seconds, and do it again. It was 'coughing' at the start of cranking but cranking healthily.

This lasted a good couple minutes at least and they were still doing it when I left. Car was still cranking fine. I would have offered help but I had places to go, people to do.

Didn't sound to me like she needed a new battery at first, but after a while I think she might, and a starter to boot.

hayd3n
4th July 2015, 17:36

my yousa battery is great 5+ years of abuse / neglect

HenryDorsetCase
4th July 2015, 19:44
my yousa battery is great 5+ years of abuse / neglect

I think that the Yuasa that was in my bike was the original one from Mr Bloor's factory in 2009. It did OK

I actually was going to get a Shorai one because I have one in my track bike and it is brilliant but I had to have one within the hour rather than, you know, being organised and waiting a day or so, and stuff.

the mini epic (best comment "Buy a new ten pack of undies) is entirely my fault.

HenryDorsetCase
4th July 2015, 19:45
No, these two...

I would totally do the one on the left. She's got that little half smile going on. she know's what's what.

Laava
4th July 2015, 20:26
I would totally do the one on the left. She's got that little half smile going on. she know's what's what.

Plus she has a feather in her hat for a bit of the old "yank on your doodle dandy"

Edbear
4th July 2015, 21:58

I see what you did there!!

Jellywrestler?

Berries
4th July 2015, 22:49
I think that the Yuasa that was in my bike was the original one from Mr Bloor's factory in 2009. It did OK.
2009 to 2015 is not ok for a battery. Is it? I would be pissed and wouldn't buy the same brand again.

Grubber
5th July 2015, 12:38
I think that the Yuasa that was in my bike was the original one from Mr Bloor's factory in 2009. It did OK

I actually was going to get a Shorai one because I have one in my track bike and it is brilliant but I had to have one within the hour rather than, you know, being organised and waiting a day or so, and stuff.

the mini epic (best comment "Buy a new ten pack of undies) is entirely my fault.

My Trump had a Yuasa in from new and it lasted 8 years. Replaced it with Moto batt and after 2 years it starting to fail already. Give me Yuasa any day. It just kept going forever.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

mossy1200
5th July 2015, 13:08
My car battery died last week. Been hard starting for couple of months. Its the original Ford battery so it lasted 158km and 8 years.
Had the battery jump pack charged so all good.
New Panasonic car battery in it now.

Jump pack from Supercheap has been good value. Left lights on in old van twice and started neighbours cars a few times plus the café racer was running on it while being built.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Jumpstart-900-Amp-Heavy-Duty.aspx?pid=283446#Recommendations

Robbo
5th July 2015, 15:43
My car battery died last week. Been hard starting for couple of months. Its the original Ford battery so it lasted 158km and 8 years.
Had the battery jump pack charged so all good.
New Panasonic car battery in it now.

Jump pack from Supercheap has been good value. Left lights on in old van twice and started neighbours cars a few times plus the café racer was running on it while being built.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Jumpstart-900-Amp-Heavy-Duty.aspx?pid=283446#Recommendations

Yep, got one of those myself Mossy. Had it about seven years and it also has an air compressor in it.
The thing has been worth it's weight in gold dust to me over the years with jump starts and tyre inflations.

neels
5th July 2015, 21:46
Had the same thing myself, nothing like sneaking to the front of the queue then stalling the damn thing to make a complete knob of oneself, the bike seems to take a very very long time to start in that situation. Fortunately not a dead battery at the same time, although have had that happen at an inopportune time as well, cue dinner at the pub and a trailer ride home for the bike.

If your battery is seeming a bit iffy buy a new one before it dies, but check some stuff first so you don't end up with a nice new battery and a still fucked starter motor.... :facepalm:

R650R
5th July 2015, 22:36
Cool story bro.... *insert sarcastic cheesey smile meme here* Jesus put a teaspoon of cement in your coffee, hardly a near death experience...

A work colleague had his faulty battery isolater nuke his whole electric system going across the Mohaka bridge one moonless night at 110k and about 50ton. I didn't want to check but not sure if the skidmarks coming off the bridge were bigger than the ones in his pants or not.