PDA

View Full Version : 2stroke emisions

mic-nsr
22nd September 2005, 19:45
does anyone know if this new vehicle emissions testingnext year will effect good old two smokers ?

Motu
22nd September 2005, 19:50
More detail please....

mic-nsr
22nd September 2005, 19:56
theyr going to test vehicles and how much they emit smoke and crap so was wondering if itl be the end for two strokes, dont think it would coz theyd have to give warning but it could affect them

texmo
22nd September 2005, 19:57
no it wont

mic-nsr
22nd September 2005, 20:07
sweet as !!!

Motu
22nd September 2005, 20:11
And that was more detail? Sorry I asked.....

curious george
23rd September 2005, 14:30
Ok Motu, my RGV250, 91 model.
It's been of the road for about 2 years, rego on hold. (Has that expired by now?)
I rock up to the testing station, with the usual ammount of smoke from pipes.
What's my chances of a rego?

Motu
23rd September 2005, 15:01
I don't want to know about your stupid bloody bike! I want to know about this so called new test the nsr dude is on about - how can anyone answer his question if he doesn't supply the rest of the information.

curious george
23rd September 2005, 15:15
Sounded like a generic question to me, mine more specific, but probably in the same line.
I think what he ment was: will there be a visual (subjective) emisison test, or a new machine to measure particle or chemical emission (objective).

Pancakes
23rd September 2005, 15:34
Thats what he was asking, will the test be for particles or gasses etc. Then he can use his mechanics expertise to say whether your bike (assuming it's running normally) would upset this test. It would be good to know if anyone does know? because it may affect engines with worn rings (burnt oil in the exhaust) or in need of a tune (ie, poor o2/fuel ratio etc) not just the smokers. Some who know, speak up!

bungbung
23rd September 2005, 15:45
Will the test apply to vehicles registered before 'dd-mm-yy'?

Probably not. Much like you don't require seatbelts in suitably aged cars.

kerryg
23rd September 2005, 15:50
does anyone know if this new vehicle emissions testingnext year will effect good old two smokers ?

I sometimes listen to Morning Report in the morning (yes, I am old) and I heard Judith Tizard (I'm pretty damn sure it was her, is she an associate transport minister or something?) interviewed about it a couple of weeks ago. I am only half-wake at the best of times and less so in the morning so forgive me if I'm vague on the details but she was saying that we will be staying with subjective testing for the foreseeable future because the exhaust gas testing regimen adopted in the UK had proved to be inaccurate, giving wrong readings all over the place, and that until a reliable and cost-effective method of objective testing was set up we would not be going down that route. Someone from the Greens was arguing for it but she shot them down.

vifferman
23rd September 2005, 15:55
They backed down on instrument-based testing because the additional cost for WOFs was 'unpalatable', so they're sticking with a visual one: if the vehicle emits a visible plume of smoke for more than 10 seconds it will fail the test.

Motu
23rd September 2005, 16:50
So nothing new I don't know about - just someone asking a poorly reshearched question,hoping someone else will fill in the gaps?

Ixion
23rd September 2005, 17:02
They backed down on instrument-based testing because the additional cost for WOFs was 'unpalatable', so they're sticking with a visual one: if the vehicle emits a visible plume of smoke for more than 10 seconds it will fail the test.

"Unless the construction of the vehicle is such as to make it impractical to prevent it" or words to that effect. And if it's the same one they were talking about before, yes there is a grandfather clause - 1992 I think. 1990 something anyway.

So two smoker will survive. YAY. Go the ringa-dinga-dinga.

curious george
23rd September 2005, 19:01
So nothing new I don't know about - just someone asking a poorly reshearched question,hoping someone else will fill in the gaps?
Shorry, I dont know what gaps need filling, but yesh, poorly reshearched anyway.
Put it down to an impulsh post from mic-nsr :bleh: :Pokey:

thealmightytaco
23rd September 2005, 19:10
Phew, I havent even got my nsr goin' yet! Suck if I got it goin' and couldn't use the bloody thing. Suck even worse if I couldn't get it goin' though.

pyrocam
24th September 2005, 12:30
So two smoker will survive. YAY. Go the ringa-dinga-dinga.

Huzzaah

ernie wants ten characters

myvice
24th September 2005, 12:51
You could just do what Porsche, Audi/VW do and pump fresh air into your exhaust system to lower the PPM reading...