PDA

View Full Version : Front tyre wear

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 10:11
When I was putting Zrex to bed last night I noted that his front wheel is starting to wear more on the righthand side than the left. No damage or feathering. I've never had this happen before... Is this because I do more right turns than left ones or should I get the front suspension checked/adjusted?

matthewt
30th January 2004, 10:15
Maybe you just need to stop trying to get your knee down on those round-abouts :)

gpercivl
30th January 2004, 10:24
Probably just road camber, most NZ roads are slightly higher in the middle than at the edges, if you ride for the same number of kms on the wrong side of the road the tyre wear should even out :)

merv
30th January 2004, 11:08
Could be all of the above especially the camber and you may find riding round right hand curves you typically have more view therefore go a bit quicker.

Otherwise if the bike is to blame and you haven't bent it at all it is more than likely wheel alignment and you need to make sure the back wheel is absolutely adjusted evenly left and right - i.e. exactly on the same index marks. If it's skewed slightly right at all you will bias wear on the front tyre on the right side.

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 11:36
Probably just road camber, most NZ roads are slightly higher in the middle than at the edges, if you ride for the same number of kms on the wrong side of the road the tyre wear should even out :)

LOL! The wrong side it is then... Woo Hoo!!

georgedubyabush
30th January 2004, 11:48
LOL! The wrong side it is then... Woo Hoo!!

Ive heard in Britain some have an annual tyre swap with a Frenchy.

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 11:53
Ive heard in Britain some have an annual tyre swap with a Frenchy.

The thought of swapping "rubber" with a Frenchman boggles the mind (or with anybody for that matter)... I hope that there's no correspondence involved...

wari
30th January 2004, 12:17
My fronts doing the same ... and not for the first time neither.

bungbung
30th January 2004, 13:59
Hitcher, your front tyre - is it directional? if not then it's an easy fix isn't it? :devil2:

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 14:03
Hitcher, your front tyre - is it directional? if not then it's an easy fix isn't it? :devil2:

I thought of that already -- Battlax 020 = very directional

MikeL
30th January 2004, 19:41
The thought of swapping "rubber" with a Frenchman boggles the mind (or with anybody for that matter)... I hope that there's no correspondence involved...

Too subtle, I'm afraid. Come to think of it, the connection between rubber and Gallic epistles is probably meaningless to the younger generation...
:innocent:

James Deuce
30th January 2004, 19:44
Too subtle, I'm afraid. Come to think of it, the connection between rubber and Gallic epistles is probably meaningless to the younger generation...
:innocent:

Nope - we've just heard that one from you "old" fellas so many times we can't muster the energy to respond! :innocent: