PDA

View Full Version : Space exploration?

awa355
16th July 2015, 17:59
Does mankind benefit from continued exploring of space?

One side of the fence says a zillion people on earth could be fed everyday with the money spent. What is the purpose of continuing to spend money looking into the universe?

The other side claim this is expanding mans knowledge of the world as we know it. A lot of today's technology has been developed from the Space race.

Should probing space continue?

Flip
16th July 2015, 18:05
One day earths resources will be depleted and mankind will have to go to the stars or become extinct. We better start developing the technology now, by the time we need it, it will be too late.

mashman
16th July 2015, 18:09
Given that there's a need for people to be fed and enough food to do it, as well as a burning desire to explore... shame we're limited to one or t'other :shifty:

Akzle
16th July 2015, 18:20
Given that there's a need for people to be fed and enough food to do it, as well as a burning desire to explore... shame we're * limited ** to one or t'other :shifty:

*artificially
** by jews

Moi
16th July 2015, 18:21

One side of the fence says a zillion people on earth could be fed everyday with the money spent. What is the purpose of continuing to spend money looking into the universe?

The other side claim this is expanding mans knowledge of the world as we know it. A lot of today's technology has been developed from the Space race.

Isn't it like wanting to know what's around the next corner? And that seems to be part of human nature...

mossy1200
16th July 2015, 18:22
The people that fund space flights don't want to spend money on hungry people.

awa355
16th July 2015, 18:24
Given that there's a need for people to be fed and enough food to do it, as well as a burning desire to explore... shame we're limited to one or t'other :shifty:

Unfortunately, I don't think too much of the money spent on the space industry would ever had found its way to lifting poverty anywhere. The US military have probably profited from the technology far more than any other industry.

awa355
16th July 2015, 18:26
Isn't it like wanting to know what's around the next corner? And that seems to be part of human nature...

I find the photos from Pluto interesting. Shows there could be other planets etc with similar make up to earth.

Flip
16th July 2015, 18:31
There is easily enough food grown to feed the earths population. Its just either wasted or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Moi
16th July 2015, 18:31
I find the photos from Pluto interesting. Shows there could be other planets etc with similar make up to earth.

Just over 85 years ago Pluto didn't exist as far as mankind knew... what has happened in the scientific world in the last 100 years is amazing... and this is just another step on that amazing path...

Like the photos from the Hubble Space telescope...

Moi
16th July 2015, 18:33
There is easily enough food grown to feed the earths population. Its just either wasted or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

or possibly eaten by those who have had more than their fair share...

Akzle
16th July 2015, 19:01
or possibly eaten by those who have had more than their fair share...

its all good though. As ocean will tell you, it goes to those worthy, those who can afford it. :facepalm:

Voltaire
16th July 2015, 19:12
Space exploration gave us awesome things like
http://www.ledwatchworld.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/x/tx6.jpg

and the Russian contribution to the problem with ink in space
http://www.pencilrevolution.com/uploads/russspacepen.jpg

Oakie
16th July 2015, 19:26
From Wiki - a list of 26 inventions that NASA has contributed to over the years:

• CAT Scanners: If you have ever been treated with a CAT scanner or know of a loved one who has, you have the space program to thank for this. This cancer-detecting tech was first used to find imperfections in space components.

• The Computer Microchip: Modern microchips descend from integrated circuits used in the Apollo Guidance Computer.

• Cordless Tools: If you have ever picked up a cordless tool you have NASA to thank for that. Power drills and vacuum cleaners were used to drill for moon samples.

• Ear Thermometers: Commonly used in hospitals, the technology used in the ear thermometers originated from a camera-like lens that detected infrared energy used to monitor the birth of stars.

• Freeze-dried food: This process reduces the food weight and increases the shelf life without sacrificing the nutritional value.

• Insulation: With winter on its way, I'm sure you can thank NASA for this one...!! Home insulation uses reflective materials that protects the spacecraft from radiation.

• Invisible braces (teeth): Teeth-straightening is less embarrassing thanks to transparent ceramic brace brackets made from spacecraft materials.

• Enriched baby food: NASA was experimenting with algae as a food supply for long space trips and found a component of algae has two fatty acids similar to those found in human breast milk. It led to the development of an enriched infant formula call Formulaid.

• The Joystick: Video Game enthusiast should know about this one... The joystick was first used on the Apollo Luner Rover.

• Light-Emitting Diodes (LED): Developed by NASA,the red light-emitting diodes were used to grow plants in space. Later this technology was developed in medical devices for muscle pain relief/relaxation, joint pain, arthritis and muscle spasms. Later generations of the technology are used to combat the symptoms of bone atrophy, multiple sclerosis, diabetic complications and Parkinson's disease.

• Memory Foam: I'm sure we've all seen the 'mattress TV commercials' highlighting this feature. This foam was first created for aircraft seats and helmets to soften landing and impact by absorbing shock and returning to its original shape.

• Scratch resistant lenses: Anybody who wears glasses, ski goggles, etc... can associate with this one. Astronaut helmet visor coatings make the lenses 10X more scratch resistant.

• Shoe insoles: Cushion insoles and even the air pocket found in most athletic shoes, first originated from NASA boot designs to lessen impact by adding spring and ventilation.

• Smoke detectors: You know that thing on the ceiling that beeps every time you open the oven...?? Turns out this lifesaving device (adjustable smoke detector) was also invented by NASA.

• Solar energy: I'm sure we all have seen solar panels on top of buildings, houses and even on our desk calculator... Harnessing the sun's solar energy as a power source originated with the efforts of a NASA-sponsored 28-member coalition of companies, government groups, universities and non-profits to form the Environmental Research Aircraft and Sensor Technology Alliance (ERAST). Their goal (at the time) was to develop an unmanned aircraft that was able to maintain high altitude flight for days at a time... the solution: harnessing the sun's energy for power.

• The Swimsuit: NASA used the same principles that reduce drage in space to help create the world's fastest swimsuit for Speedo. This design was rejected by some professionals for giving them an unfair advantage...

• Powdered Lubricants: NASA scientists developed a solid oil-free lubricant capable of operating at high temperatures with increased reliability, lowered weight, reduced maintenance, lower friction, reduces emissions and increased power...

• The water filter: I'm sure we have all used one of these things (i.e. Brita) NASA pioneered the technology to filter water and kill bacteria for water taken to space...

• Space Blankets: Silver and lightweight and resembling a giant sheet of aluminum foil, these sci-fi looking blankets are commonly used by mountain climbers and long-distance runners... they are even given out for free at almost every marathon.

• Land mine removal: NASA's surplus of rocket fuel is used to produce a flare that can safely destroy land mines. NASA is able to reduce propellant waste without negatively impacting the environment.

• The Soaper Soaker: If you don't know what this is then you didn't have a childhood.... :)
The world's most famous squirt gun was invented by Lonnie G. Johnson, a nuclear engineer who worked for the US Air Force and NASA.

• Flame-resistant textiles: After the tragic Apollo 1 launch that killed three astronauts in a fire, NASA developed a line of fire-resistant textiles used in space suits and vehicles. Today they are commonly used by firefighters, motor sports and other applications.

• Thermometer Pill: NASA developed an ingestible pill in the 1980s that wirelessly monitors the astronaut's core body temperature from the inside. Today this tech is used by athletic teams and professionals to monitor and keep the players safe.

• Conditioning equipment (work-out machines): Commonly seen and used at fitness gyms, athletic departments and by physical therapists around the world. These machines were developed by NASA to keep the astronaut physically fit and to prevent muscle atrophy in zero gravity environments.

• Long distance telecommunications: Do you own a smartphone or ever made a long distance phone call...?? Before humans were even sent into space, NASA launched a bunch of satellites into Earth's orbit to monitor space and communicate to scientist on the ground. Overtime this technique/technology was adopted to over 200 communication satellites that connect us to our loved ones everyday...

• Highway safety grooving: Admit it... you (like me) have driven late at night and accidentally drifted to the shoulder of the road driving over this grooving... or maybe you noticed the gooving pattern on the road when approaching a stop sign. Either way, Safety Grooving was first experimented by NASA back in the 1960s as a way to improve safety for aircraft taking off on wet runways. According to NASA, safety gooving reduced highway accidents by 85% after going into effect...

Motu
16th July 2015, 19:29
I think it's very important - I've got to get home somehow.

unstuck
16th July 2015, 19:39
I think it's very important - I've got to get home somehow.

Fear not, they know where you are and how to find you when the time is right.:msn-wink:

As has been said, there are enough resources to "explore space" :killingme:killingme AND feed all the hungry people. When enough people with the "right thinking" wake up, we will see that happen.:banana:

Woodman
16th July 2015, 21:27
If we spend all the money feeding everyone then the population will grow even faster and then everything will be even more fucked up than it is now.

So exploring space should be encouraged.

oldrider
16th July 2015, 21:38
If the moon landing was a hoax - I hope I die before it is revealed - because I really want it to be true! - :baby:

Voltaire
16th July 2015, 21:49
If the moon landing was a hoax - I hope I die before it is revealed - because I really want it to be true! - :baby:

Of course its true,

signs of intelligent life on the internet is a hoax Einstein

TheDemonLord
16th July 2015, 21:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

HenryDorsetCase
16th July 2015, 22:04

Unequivocally yes.

As a species, our finest achievement will be colonising the solar system. The technology developed is useful for everyday lives also: as you say, many useful items have come from the various space programmes.

the money spent on space exploration is a complete pittance compared to the money spent on militarism...

just saying.

eldog
16th July 2015, 22:21
NEWS FLASH - Incoming news photos from URANUS :lol:

Laava
16th July 2015, 22:47
If we spend all the money feeding everyone then the population will grow even faster and then everything will be even more fucked up than it is now.

Yep, spot on.

Akzle
17th July 2015, 07:26

false logic. Refer to obamas speech at the beginning or the movie 'lucy'

'as fucked uo as it is now' was not caused by the number of humans breathing... ((it was jews))

F5 Dave
17th July 2015, 07:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc
Well that was quite thought provoking.

And here is the thought it provoked: so keeping with the probing theme, abduction stories seem to be far less prevalent than they were even in the 90s. Perhaps that is in direct relationship with funding cuts on far off alien worlds. Alien Scientists having to try justify the scientific and fiduciary gains from experiments involving humans rectums. I mean that's where they got the poofinger, but what has it provided lately?

Voltaire
17th July 2015, 09:19
false logic. Refer to obamas speech at the beginning or the movie 'lucy'

'as fucked uo as it is now' was not caused by the number of humans breathing... ((it was jews))

I blame the Romans.

unstuck
17th July 2015, 09:24
I blame the Romans.

I blame idiots that think they are HUMAN and nothing more.:shifty:

TheDemonLord
17th July 2015, 09:44
I blame the Romans.

The Aquaducts!

Woodman
17th July 2015, 10:47
I blame the Romans.

Blame is a human trait, so very insignificant in a universal sense. As are humans. And life.

ellipsis
17th July 2015, 13:23
...I have been in space for fuckin years ...it's cold except when it's hot and dark when it's not light...it's very cheap to get there but sometimes you can't get back...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2sDutxqOMKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swoop
17th July 2015, 16:05
I blame the Romans.

What have the Romans given us, eh?

awa355
17th July 2015, 16:23

Big nose's, Fiat 500's. :weird:

unstuck
17th July 2015, 16:36
Big nose's, Fiat 500's. :weird:

Don't forget the sandals man, must abide the sandals man.:2thumbsup

Swoop
17th July 2015, 16:47
Don't forget the sandals man, must abide the sandals man.:2thumbsup

Come on you cunts!

THE AQUEDUCTS!!!

Fuck's sake. If you want to play, keep up with the game...;)

pzkpfw
17th July 2015, 16:50
Nasa currently gets 0.5% of the U.S. budget.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregoryferenstein/2015/07/14/nasas-budget-has-been-slashed-since-the-pluto-mission-launched-in-2-graphs/

The roopeens and the post-Soviet Russians get less. (I don't know about Chinese budgets)

As much as space exploration looks like a big deal financially; especially in the post-Apollo era it's not the big difference between people starving or not.

(Edit: and even Apollo peaked at 5.5% of budget: http://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-the-US-government-budget-was-spent-on-the-Apollo-space-program )

bogan
17th July 2015, 17:13
(Edit: and even Apollo peaked at 5.5% of budget: http://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-the-US-government-budget-was-spent-on-the-Apollo-space-program )

Which was arguably war budget anyway.

Private space ex is the way to go. Bill motherfucking Nye is getting in on it, Neil De'Boss Tyson too; it'll happen.

Moi
17th July 2015, 17:18

Espresso...

and the knowledge that lead water pipes are not the best...

Oakie
17th July 2015, 17:39
Come on you cunts! THE AQUEDUCTS!!! Fuck's sake. If you want to play, keep up with the game...;)

Oh OK!

Xerxes: The aqueduct.
Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
Masked Activist: And the sanitation!
Stan: Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.
Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...
Matthias: And the roads...
Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...
Another Masked Activist: Irrigation...
Other Masked Voices: Medicine... Education... Health...
Reg: Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front: And the wine...
Omnes: Oh yes! True!
Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.
Masked Activist at Back: Public baths!
Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.
Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.
(more general murmurs of agreement)
Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Xerxes: Brought peace!
Reg: very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

Moi
17th July 2015, 17:47
Oh OK!

Xerxes: The aqueduct....
Reg: very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

and underfloor heating...

and a building height that is common throughout Western European cities...

Akzle
17th July 2015, 17:52
...I have been in space for fuckin years ...it's cold except when it's hot and dark when it's not light...it's very cheap to get there but sometimes you can't get back...

i had some acid like that once

awa355
17th July 2015, 18:13
And Christians being thrown to the lions for fun, Gladiators, short swords, orgies. All good stuff, :rolleyes:

Wont find any of that stuff out there in space.

unstuck
17th July 2015, 18:35
Wont find any of that stuff out there in space.

Really, wait until you see some of the stuff that has been going on on Kepler 186f.

FJRider
17th July 2015, 18:39
Really, wait until you see some of the stuff that has been going on on Kepler 186f.

I went there once ... overated .. :yawn:

Moi
17th July 2015, 18:52
I went there once ... overated .. :yawn:

A bit like paradise...

FJRider
17th July 2015, 18:56
A bit like paradise...

There ARE bad days in Paradise ... a lot of wankers from other regions/countries visit.

What day were you here .. ??

Moi
17th July 2015, 19:06
There ARE bad days in Paradise ... a lot of wankers from other regions/countries visit.

What day were you here .. ??

If you don't know... why should I tell you?

FJRider
17th July 2015, 19:16
If you don't know... why should I tell you?

If you don't tell me ... why should I care ... ??

I'm betting you've never been.

ellipsis
17th July 2015, 19:20
I'm betting you've never been.

...I'm betting that ground level Oxygen is about your limit...

FJRider
17th July 2015, 19:23
...I'm betting that ground level Oxygen is about your limit...

I'm betting your middle name is fucktard ... but I have been know to be wrong ... :msn-wink:

ellipsis
17th July 2015, 19:35
I'm betting your middle name is fucktard ... but I have been know to be wrong ... :msn-wink:

...of my seven siblings, who all have a middle name, I was overlooked in this dept....feel free to deem me with a middle name...I don't feel so left out now...but it will never come anywhere the name I would choose for myself...thank you for your input...

FJRider
17th July 2015, 19:44
...of my seven siblings, who all have a middle name, I was overlooked in this dept....feel free to deem me with a middle name...I don't feel so left out now...but it will never come anywhere the name I would choose for myself...thank you for your input...

Look on the bright side ... there IS Deed Poll ... should you wish to make it official.

Deed poll is for those that WANT to choose for themselves .... you can ... and I know you WANT to ...

Do it.

Thank me later ...

ellipsis
17th July 2015, 20:02
Look on the bright side ... there IS Deed Poll ... should you wish to make it official.

Deed poll is for those that WANT to choose for themselves .... you can ... and I know you WANT to ...

Do it.

Thank me later ...

...I'm not sure that a deed poll would encompass such as I would want for the space between what the officials know me as and my surname...the text can be written but I want the aural properties to be present...one day when we have the technology to have this app...until then I'm afraid it's a forlorn hope...this is my chosen middle name...just remember, in case I run over you some time...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dscfeQOMuGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FJRider
17th July 2015, 20:12
... just remember, in case I run over you some time...

By your seen posting skills ... I hope your riding skills are better.

But I doubt it ....

Feel free to try (to run over me) .... I won't (can't) think any less of you for trying ... :laugh:

BuzzardNZ
17th July 2015, 20:43
I've always had an interest in space related things from a kid till now. Have always wondered if there is anyone out there too, especially since my old granddad claims he saw a UFO above his farm ( Turakina Wanganui ). He wasn't the kind of dude to make shit up, so when I heard him say this, it peaked my interest and I have watched a few good UFO shows on youtube, those being...

Hanger 1 . Tthe UFO Files

and the

Close Encounters documentary series.

After watching those, i'm not convinced, but wonder if any here have seen strange shit in the sky?

unstuck
17th July 2015, 21:07
Have always wondered if there is anyone out there too
but wonder if any here have seen strange shit in the sky?

Yep, and yep. There is some good stuff being released by nasa on ufo sightings at the moment. And the russians have been releasing stuff for a while now.:niceone:

Most people are of the "I will believe it when I see it" kind. But most of them have it backwards.:msn-wink:
Keep an open mind, just don't let your brains fall out.:devil2:

Paul in NZ
17th July 2015, 21:15
Oh god yes... Its the one bloody thing that lifts our eyes to the skies without talk of magic sky pixies and takes away from the blood and mud up to or knees... We need heroes and heroes need frontiers... fuckin go for it

ellipsis
17th July 2015, 22:04
By your seen posting skills ... I hope your riding skills are better.

But I doubt it ....

Feel free to try (to run over me) .... I won't (can't) think any less of you for trying ... :laugh:

...i have no skills...i have an old skil-saw...not an old circular saw, a real, old skool, fucking skil-saw...it even has a blade fitted to rotate in the right direction...so there, you really interesting person...feel free to stalk me on spacebook...I dont actually have an account there yet, but I'm sure they want to know me...but that doesn't matter, they will accept your drivel I'm sure...they accept drivel from any wank...

oldrider
17th July 2015, 23:54
This popped up in a side bar - have not explored it - maybe you have?: http://www.blue-planet-project.com/ :scratch: Weird stuff eh! :eek:

Man there are some nutters around on the Webb. - :facepalm: