PDA

View Full Version : Bike Review: GSF1200 well used

mossy1200
19th July 2015, 14:04
A lot of posting on the WTB add so decided move the words to a bike review.

GSF1200 2005 with 82tho km. Touring and two up bike.

Having not had an older bike for a while found the need to get something suited to taking the wife out on and do some touring.
Budget was smallish so searched the used bike for a short while and found a bandit.

Bike stock standard with zero mods and 82km.

Purchase price a very good 3.6k with 1 year wof and 3 months rego so think price wise its a win.
The bikes in good condition. Its not mint but its tidy and seems to have never been dropped.

The seller delivered the bike from Palmy to Welly no charge and left again with his wife in their car to have a weekend in the City.

First move was to pull the pack rack supports off as I have ordered a new 50litre top box for $60.00 care of tardme auction.
2nd move was to order new filter for a fluid change.
Parts still on the way.

Installed a luggage rack from a cruiser that I got for a dollar a year ago also off tardme.
Made some bracket on it went. Seems ok. Had to ditch the grab bar to do it.

mossy1200
19th July 2015, 14:17
Day Two
First ride.
No rain unlike last night so its first ride time.
Chain very loose and dry. Tighten and lube.
Start up good. Choke for a minute or two.
Runs nice.
Down the hill. Brakes good. Almost a 2 finger job. Not as easy as the Gustler.
First few corner. Runs wide and huge amount of counter steering required. Wasn't ready for that.
Ok so its not a sports bike and the steering is heavy.
Ability to town ride is very good. Pulls at low revs and no surging.
Motorway. Very easy to ride. Run it down to 70 in the road works and pulls again in top no problem.
Very good roll on.
Ride up the gorge in top at 80 no issues. Wondering if it could be geared up a little. 3.8 revs at 100.
Fairing ability is less than average and im colder than I expected so flip it around at Mana and head home for more clothes.
Im wearing my race gloves and hands are cold. No wind protection so I am heading for a jumper, scarft and winter gloves.

Get home and look at tires. Rear is a bit worn in the middle. Its got a conti front and mich rear so might be a bad combo causing poor tip in combined with tire that got bad wear.
Decide to run the tire gauge on them. I was expecting for a bike the guy delivered in the poring rain yesterday to have ok pressures.
Shock horror. 12 pounds in the back and 19 in the front while warm from the ride.
Guess he hasn't ridden it often lately and the WOF guy doesn't check tire pressures either.
Pumped them up and extra clothes and im going out again.

Rear shock is terrible and Busa shock is next thing to get.

mossy1200
19th July 2015, 16:59
Ride 2 with warmer gear and tyre pressure 40 rear and 38 front.

Different bike. Turns in without any effort and holds a nice line other than some rear shock lazy behaviour.

To compare it to another bike I would say a lighter version of a blackbird.
Still like to have the rear lifted but it exceeding my expectations.
Im not sure about muffler as it seems to be fuelled ok at the moment.
I guess there is a chance its been tuned. If I pipe it ill inspect jet sizes and slides for alterations.
Im not seeing any signs of running lean that seems to be a bandit issue.
Its got some very good midrange haul for the claimed low hp.

It was good to get the touring leathers and J Rebbs on again.

mossy1200
19th July 2015, 19:55
Grr wof holder is empty. Bottom cracked open at hinge point and wof likely fell out.
How do I get another if I don't know where wof was done. Its only 5 days old but done in Palmy by previous owner.

JimO
19th July 2015, 20:11
im no wof guru but as its in the system any wof provider should be able to give u a replacement when i say give probably charge you

nzspokes
19th July 2015, 20:17
They are no sports bike but they go well. Busa shock brings them alive.

Standard jetting will be fine with the stock can and airbox. When you open the airbox and pipe it will need jetting. But its simple as shit.

Ive gone +1 on the front and that also fixes the speedo error.

Oh and mines at 102,000ks. Its just run in.

mossy1200
19th July 2015, 20:42
im no wof guru but as its in the system any wof provider should be able to give u a replacement when i say give probably charge you

Previous owner has the paperwork and is going to get me a replacement and post it to me.
Lucky with that. He is a good bloke.

Largs Saint
21st July 2015, 03:06
Welcome to the world of Banditry! The standard rear shock is woeful on these. A lot of people replace it with a Hagon shock here. I've got Hagon progressive springs on the front end, makes quite a difference to the handling. It rains a lot here so I fitted Michelin Road Pilot 2s to mine. Not the latest version of the Michelin but from what I have read, the 2s are better than the later versions in the wet. Tyre pressures should be 36 front 36 rear. If the bike has been neglected, fitting a new air filter will make a big difference to the performance. Look up video on u tube showing you how to do it without removing the fuel pipes (it involves using a cunningly placed bit of 2 inch by 2 inch wood) :laugh:. Use 10/40 semi synthetic to keep it running sweetly. Watch out for ignition coils packing in, it is a common fault. Other than that mine has been fault free and provides plenty of smiles. Happy riding!

Banditbandit
21st July 2015, 10:17
Welcome to the world of Banditry! The standard rear shock is woeful on these. A lot of people replace it with a Hagon shock here. I've got Hagon progressive springs on the front end, makes quite a difference to the handling. It rains a lot here so I fitted Michelin Road Pilot 2s to mine. Not the latest version of the Michelin but from what I have read, the 2s are better than the later versions in the wet.

I have used PR2s PR3s and PR4s - in the wet I prefer the 3 and 4s ... they probably suit our roads here better ..

Tyre pressures should be 36 front 36 rear.

Recommended settings on mine are 38 front 42 rear ... The rear feels wrong at 36psi ... I might not notice the front 2psi down, but I would certainly notice the rear 6psi down ...

mossy1200
21st July 2015, 16:50
I have used PR2s PR3s and PR4s - in the wet I prefer the 3 and 4s ... they probably suit our roads here better ..

Recommended settings on mine are 38 front 42 rear ... The rear feels wrong at 36psi ... I might not notice the front 2psi down, but I would certainly notice the rear 6psi down ...

Felt bad with 9pounds.
40 felt good on a pr2 that's worn.

Think ill put stinko 10s on it next change. A good amount of slip to increase the rider enjoyment. $130 for a rear tire.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/tyres/auction-917974623.htm
Could be old stock also so should be nice and hard for extra millage.
I see they make a tire called smoke bomb that has purple burn out smoke.:lol:

FJRider
21st July 2015, 17:12
Grr wof holder is empty. Bottom cracked open at hinge point and wof likely fell out.
How do I get another if I don't know where wof was done. Its only 5 days old but done in Palmy by previous owner.

Any firm with access to "The system" should be able to tell you where it was issued.

mossy1200
21st July 2015, 17:25
Any firm with access to "The system" should be able to tell you where it was issued.

Guy sold me the bike said he would get another in the post as he has the paperwork and its now only a week old.

FJRider
21st July 2015, 17:46
Guy sold me the bike said he would get another in the post as he has the paperwork and its now only a week old.

The good news ... the cop following you on the motorway will know via a radio check ... you have a WOF ... :yes:

The bad news ... "failing to display" is the charge if you're stopped for "other" reasons ... <_<

mossy1200
21st July 2015, 17:53
The good news ... the cop following you on the motorway will know via a radio check ... you have a WOF ... :yes:

The bad news ... "failing to display" is the charge if you're stopped for "other" reasons ... <_<

Its likely to arrive before the weekend and if it doesn't ill need harden up and ride the other bike.

FJRider
21st July 2015, 18:28
Its likely to arrive before the weekend and if it doesn't ill need harden up and ride the other bike.

It's only a suzuki ... :shifty:

Maha
21st July 2015, 18:48
It's only a suzuki ... :shifty:

Suzuki's are adequate....:msn-wink:

FJRider
21st July 2015, 18:52
Suzuki's are adequate....:msn-wink:

apparently ... :innocent:

Largs Saint
22nd July 2015, 10:10

Maybe Michelins require different pressures. Haynes Manual recommends 36 front amd rear.

Largs Saint
22nd July 2015, 10:46
Did a bit more digging on the tyre pressures. Michelin web site says refer to manufactures for pressures. So no help there. Some arguing that pressures quoted in the Haynes Manual relate to Original Equipment tyre which were Michelin Macadam (they were considered really poor tyres). I guess it's a case of it's your arse, you choose in terms of pressures then.:eek5:

mossy1200
23rd July 2015, 20:53
Luggage mounting and constructing bag supports at the moment.

Oil filter arrived. Guess 10/40 full syn is the way to go.

nzspokes
23rd July 2015, 21:07
Luggage mounting and constructing bag supports at the moment.

Oil filter arrived. Guess 10/40 full syn is the way to go.

Wow, could you find an older top box?:laugh:

I would be lowering the bags as much as I can as well.

Oh and diesel oil.

mossy1200
23rd July 2015, 21:18
Wow, could you find an older top box?:laugh:

I would be lowering the bags as much as I can as well.

Oh and diesel oil.

Its brand new.
Got to leave pannier up and high and back for wife room They look higher at the moment as I have to fold some ally at work yet before they are finished. They are sitting 50mm above pipe.

BMWST?
23rd July 2015, 21:19
hard tyres not a good look in the winter with the wife on the back

mossy1200
23rd July 2015, 21:25
hard tyres not a good look in the winter with the wife on the back

My wife wont get on it until summer. It will have new tyres before then.
The PR2 on the back should get me 2 the Cold Kiwi and onto the burnout pad:devil2:

Crasherfromwayback
23rd July 2015, 23:54
Think you should've bough my GS1200SS with half the km's on it for the same price.

mossy1200
24th July 2015, 06:01
Think you should've bough my GS1200SS with half the km's on it for the same price.

You advertised it after I had bought the Bandit. Have had GS before. That would be like doing an ex.

Banditbandit
24th July 2015, 13:28
Maybe Michelins require different pressures. Haynes Manual recommends 36 front amd rear.

It's the Suzi sticker on the side of the bike that says 38/42

I don't trust Haynes manuals since one told me the ring gap for a Triumph 650 (Meridan) so when I rebuilt he engine it seized - because the fucking manual was wrong - the gap was supposed to be twice what Haynes said ..

I guess it's a case of it's your arse, you choose in terms of pressures then.:eek5:

YES. Tyres should always be the pressure the rider is comfortable with (unless the rider is a dick and rides with them at 15psi or something like tjat ..

Hey - I asked if you'd sell that - and you said NO.

Crasherfromwayback
24th July 2015, 14:44
Hey - I asked if you'd sell that - and you said NO.

Didn't want/need to then. Do now since I've bought a Katana that needs paying for.

mossy1200
24th July 2015, 19:26
Almost finished racks now.
Just need sanding etc.

nzspokes
24th July 2015, 20:01
Almost finished racks now.
Just need sanding etc.

Pic without the bags on?

mossy1200
24th July 2015, 20:22
Pic without the bags on?

Only took a couple. One bolt each side needs be replaced with a countersunk m10 yet or a button head. Couldn't find any in the garage.

mossy1200
25th July 2015, 20:33
Did a bit more to the supports and lightened them down a little.

So unusual I went for a ride today also on the MV.

mossy1200
26th July 2015, 13:12
Managed to find a GSXR1000 rear shock for $75 so bought that. Same dimensions as a Busa shock and a common replacement also.

Big Dog
27th July 2015, 01:40
I like your bag racks.

Sent via tapatalk.

nzspokes
27th July 2015, 06:58
Managed to find a GSXR1000 rear shock for $75 so bought that. Same dimensions as a Busa shock and a common replacement also.

Fitted it yet?

Banditbandit
27th July 2015, 09:35
Didn't want/need to then. Do now since I've bought a Katana that needs paying for.

Hmmm .. shit happened and I don't have the cash any more ...

This it here?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-921374570.htm

Crasherfromwayback
27th July 2015, 10:32
Hmmm .. shit happened and I don't have the cash any more ...

This it here?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-921374570.htm

That be it. I'd cut you some slack price wise if you wanted it.

mossy1200
27th July 2015, 17:14
Fitted it yet?

Nah it hasn't arrived yet. I am on call for work this weekend so ill do it then.
It needs 2 small spacer washers to install but otherwise is same airbox tab removal as busa and bolts in.

roogazza
27th July 2015, 18:27
Nah it hasn't arrived yet. I am on call for work this weekend so ill do it then.
It needs 2 small spacer washers to install but otherwise is same airbox tab removal as busa and bolts in.

Somewhere in my garage I have a set of twin K & N pods and a stage three Dynojet kit. ( Won't need an air box then.)

Also out there is some carbon gear (front guard and body work).
Fork springs and a early 90s rear shock. May have gsxr cams ?
Had it all on a Gen1 couple years ago.

oh and a custom made set of headers in stainless that I had made.(much,much lighter and helps with the HP.

mossy1200
27th July 2015, 18:37
Somewhere in my garage I have a set of twin K & N pods and a stage three Dynojet kit. ( Won't need an air box then.)

oh and a custom made set of headers in stainless that I had made.(much,much lighter and helps with the HP.

Thanks but its only a second bike for taking wifey for a ride and round town plus the odd rally or tour.
Need a good shock for the passenger and gear weight but rest I might leave standard. Not sure if I will even do the muffler.
Theres likely a few that would be interested in the go faster bits though.

roogazza
27th July 2015, 18:56
Thanks but its only a second bike for taking wifey for a ride and round town plus the odd rally or tour.
Need a good shock for the passenger and gear weight but rest I might leave standard. Not sure if I will even do the muffler.
Theres likely a few that would be interested in the go faster bits though.
No probs,was just an idea cos you mess around with bikes a bit huh ?

Great bikes those bandits,should never have sold mine,but the trade in swayed me. lol. :rolleyes:

mossy1200
27th July 2015, 19:04
No probs,was just an idea cos you mess around with bikes a bit huh ?

Great bikes those bandits,should never have sold mine,but the trade in swayed me. lol. :rolleyes:

I enjoy riding it. I would put money into it if it was the main ride but its not worth it with a sports bike in the shed unless I was to go down the turbo road and drag race it.

Think next build will be a scrambler or enduro. Got a few things more urgent in the next few months to sort out first though.

nzspokes
27th July 2015, 19:46

Oh, let me know on the headers if they fit a gen 2.

mossy1200
30th July 2015, 22:20
Shock day. Put the GSXR1000 shock in after work. 3hrs as had to remove the dog bones and install spacer washers as the 1k spring is wider than the bandit and it touches. I didn't need to remove any mounting airbox tabs as nothing touching. Maybe busa res is up higher. Battery box needed cut at the front but battery still fits in nice.

Ride height seems the same as the bandit shock. Tire same height off ground on centre stand. Just a slight over 10mm static sag and a much better feel in the corners. Bit late to go to far testing so maybe the weekend ride is required.

nzspokes
31st July 2015, 08:09
The airbox snorkle is on backwards?

mossy1200
31st July 2015, 15:32
The airbox snorkle is on backwards?

That's to reduce power so I can ride backwards safely.
Must consult the book perhaps.

mossy1200
1st August 2015, 18:50
New oil and filter.

Is it just me or is finding MC oil getting harder.
ended up with 15-50 Castrol for $55 because im to cheap to spend $100 on the bike.
I got tempted by the diesel oils.

nzspokes
1st August 2015, 18:57
New oil and filter.

ended up with 15-50 Castrol for $55 because im to cheap to spend $100 on the bike.

Oil for mine is $60 for 10L. Yup Diesel oil.

mossy1200
1st August 2015, 19:16
Oil for mine is $60 for 10L. Yup Diesel oil.

Looked at it thinking that would last a while for me.

caspernz
1st August 2015, 21:38
New oil and filter.

I recently saw 4 ltr packs of Castrol 4T m/c oil at Repco for something like $45, along with a few more expensive choices for bikes. Must admit it surprised me to see bike oil there.

mossy1200
1st August 2015, 21:49
I recently saw 4 ltr packs of Castrol 4T m/c oil at Repco for something like $45, along with a few more expensive choices for bikes. Must admit it surprised me to see bike oil there.

Really. I went online looking for oil and searched repco and it didn't show then having anything. Castrol 4T is what I got.
Ill get the top Castrol for the MV most likely. MV specs are for 5/60. Have not seen that here.

GTRMAN
2nd August 2015, 14:25
We can do Repsol oils at a price that beats anyone. Moto Rider semi synthetic for $45 for four litres

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mossy1200
9th August 2015, 22:19
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-929934030.htm

Something for someone wanting to join and Bandit Boys.
$3.5 and lower kms makes it look like a deal.

mossy1200
10th August 2015, 20:59
Managed to pick this puppy up today. SW-motech 15-21 litre.
Comes with a Suzuki tank ring also. Lucky find for $100.
Luggage collection is complete.

Apparently because its the flat tank bag I could get an Agusta mount for it. Ill sit it on the MV first though to have a look as the MV mount is over 100 alone. Might be better to get some pockets in my suit than bag an F4.

husaberg
10th August 2015, 21:05
Managed to pick this puppy up today. SW-motech 15-21 litre.
Comes with a Suzuki tank ring also. Lucky find for $100.
Luggage collection is complete.

Apparently because its the flat tank bag I could get an Agusta mount for it. Ill sit it on the MV first though to have a look as the MV mount is over 100 alone. Might be better to get some pockets in my suit than bag an F4.

Takes some more pictures Mossy........................:psst:

mossy1200
10th August 2015, 21:15
Takes some more pictures Mossy........................:psst:

Confused

Of????????????

Girls next door
Bagged MV
Motech bag

You need be more specific

Just won the bag on tardme tonight. Pic is the tard listing photo mounted on a busa.
Need wait for postage now.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-sport-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system link to bag

husaberg
10th August 2015, 21:20
Confused

Of????????????

Girls next door
Bagged MV
Motech bag

You need be more specific

Just won the bag on tardme tonight. Pic is the tard listing photo mounted on a busa.
Need wait for postage now.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-sport-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system link to bag
̶
Girls next door
Confused

Of????????????

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶ ̶
B̶a̶g̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶M̶V̶ ̶

̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶.̶ ̶P̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶a̶.̶ ̶
N̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶t̶h̶r̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶.̶c̶o̶m ̶/̶b̶a̶g̶s̶-̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶-̶e̶v̶o̶-̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶-̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶-̶l̶o̶c̶k̶-̶t̶a̶n̶k̶b̶a̶g̶-̶f̶o̶r̶-̶s̶w̶-̶m̶o̶t̶e̶c̶h̶-̶g̶a̶s̶c̶a̶p̶-̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶-̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶a̶g̶

mossy1200
10th August 2015, 21:29
̶
Girls next door
Confused

Of????????????

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶ ̶
B̶a̶g̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶M̶V̶ ̶

̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶.̶ ̶P̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶a̶.̶ ̶
N̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶t̶h̶r̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶.̶c̶o̶m ̶/̶b̶a̶g̶s̶-̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶-̶e̶v̶o̶-̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶-̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶-̶l̶o̶c̶k̶-̶t̶a̶n̶k̶b̶a̶g̶-̶f̶o̶r̶-̶s̶w̶-̶m̶o̶t̶e̶c̶h̶-̶g̶a̶s̶c̶a̶p̶-̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶-̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶a̶g̶

LOL. Ill see what I can do. I think the younger one would likely flash if I had a camera on the deck.

Does anyone know her friend? Long blond hair and rides a Hornet or Bandit 250.

husaberg
10th August 2015, 22:03
LOL. Ill see what I can do. I think the younger one would likely flash if I had a camera on the deck.

Does anyone know her friend? Long blond hair and rides a Hornet or Bandit 250.

Post a pic of the friend as well then and we will see................:weird:

mossy1200
10th August 2015, 22:22
Post a pic of the friend as well then and we will see................:weird:

Shall I run down next time she turns up with my camera and pretend I am after a shot of her bike? IM SCARED. You have me out of my comfort zone. Im freaking out now. Too much pressure to perform.

nzspokes
19th August 2015, 20:07
Well back to GSF1200s.

I need tyres. I have a pair of PR3s we pulled of a Hyobag. The rear is a 160. Wonder what a gsf would go like with a 160 rear? :corn:

schrodingers cat
19th August 2015, 20:25
Depends on the rim size I suppose.
My GS1200ss (which is more or less the same thing in a frock) has a 160 rear which was OEM sizing.

If the plan is to pootle round two up then you won't be riding like a hooligan so tyre size is a bit neither here nor there imho

mossy1200
30th August 2015, 13:27
Loaded and ready for Cold Kiwi.
Saying that its the third time loaded and never made it there yet.

mossy1200
6th September 2015, 16:23
Tried something new this weekend and went for a ride.

AllanB
6th September 2015, 18:07
Depends on the rim size I suppose.
My GS1200ss (which is more or less the same thing in a frock) has a 160 rear which was OEM sizing.

If the plan is to pootle round two up then you won't be riding like a hooligan so tyre size is a bit neither here nor there imho

Stock rear for the GS1200ss was a 170 - most changed to 180's at the first rear tyre change (now real reason to other than everything comes in that size and it looks fatter!). I'd say some tight wad found a cheap 160 for yours ......