PDA

View Full Version : GN250 head repair?

SixtyTen
29th July 2015, 10:27
Hi everyone. I have a 1983 GN250 in pretty bad nick that im restoring/ modifying. The head and piston are damaged, im replacing the bore and piston but heads are hard to come by so im going to repair it.
There are a few gouges and dents in the combustion chamber that i have ground out clean, no cracks anywhere. A couple are very close to the valve seats so i cant weld them without replacing the valve seats, which i would rather avoid. My current plan is to braze them using a product like hts2000, which melts at around 350 celcius and then grind and polish the chamber. Has anyone else done something similar to this? Any ideas what temperature the GN head gets to?
Also, the head has been planed at some point in the past, does anyone know what the overall thickness of the head is stock? alternatively, what the volume of the combustion chamber is.

Thanks for any help.

nodrog
29th July 2015, 10:31
its a gn250, it will go forever if you just put it back together and forget about the gouges.

husaberg
29th July 2015, 11:29
What he said.
Don't sweat a few gouges unless its in the seats, But de-burr any shape edges.
Slap in cam chain in it, lap in the valves, give it a bore then it will live for ever.

Banditbandit
29th July 2015, 16:59
There seem to be quite a few at the wreckers - and on tardme ...like this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/wrecking-bikes/auction-925023391.htm

Pasrts shouldn't be that hard to get shoudl they?

If yiu habve the engineering skills then do what you are suggesting ..

jellywrestler
29th July 2015, 18:32
you must be proud to have probably the most modern bike on waiheke island, and the internaughty too, well done you.