PDA

View Full Version : SV 1000 sometimes not shifting to 3rd or 4th

mikey3
31st July 2015, 00:21
hey guys, new member and need help already. !!!! My 2007 SV1000 which i just bought today, sometimes refuses to shift up gears ( 3rd and 4th ) and other times ok. Has new oil/filter done by dealer. Happened once during test-ride but dealer suggested maybe cos i changed bikes ( traded my yzf 600 ) that maybe lever position was in different position and so they lifted lever up slightly. However on way home did it again ! Felt like a novice in traffic as i'd release clutch and typical vtwin engine braking soon let me know i hadn't shifted out of previous gear.
Could it be just me, or maybe a gearbox issue? Any suggestions much appreciated. ps Bike really tidy- only 31k

mossy1200
31st July 2015, 06:30
If you were having upshift issues they should have lowered the lever surely?
Assume your riding in motorbike boots and not soft top shoes.

BuzzardNZ
31st July 2015, 07:19
If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and get them to sort it out.

Laava
31st July 2015, 07:50
Yep take it back.

tigertim20
31st July 2015, 10:40
twas my immediate thought too

If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and get them to sort it out.

Yep take it back.

what these guys said. do it!!

Tazz
31st July 2015, 11:23
Raising it would make it harder to reach wouldn't it? I lower mine so I have more leverage.

Metastable
3rd August 2015, 02:24
You might want to touch base in here: http://www.sv-portal.com/ I think that site might actually be run by the same fellow who runs this one, but don't quote me on that.

It has been a LONG time since I owned an SV. I really enjoyed it. Mine was a 2003 and memory is getting a little vague, but there was a modification I did with mine with the hydraulic clutch that prevented some issues (I forget what the issues were - getting old :D ). I can't remember if it was just an issue with the earlier bikes. Do some digging in the SV portal. Also - ... if you have been short shifting the bike, try shifting at higher revs, and see if that makes the bike behave differently.

I also agree that lowering the shift leaver will help. You should have just enough room to get the front of your boot under the leaver..... or at least, that is the way I like it.

On a side note - something one could do with the earlier bikes, but not sure about the later ones.... the rear shock was a direct swap with a 2000 - 2003 Gixxer 1000 unit.

Edit - found what I was talking about:
Don't think this is the issue with your bike, but just check your clutch fluid level.
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=hydraulic+clutch&page=22

Also don't get too worked up, if you read the first few pages of that post you might think you bought a crap bike. That's just not the case. It was my favorite road bike. I knew more than one fellow with well over 100,000 kms on their SV1000S.

Drew
3rd August 2015, 10:23

Nope. It is often caused by people not letting the lever down far enough after the last upsgift, for the ratchet to grab the start point on the barrel. Quite common. Instead of resetting their foot, most people start forcing the lever up harder...and getting nothing but sore toes for their effort.

Check chain tension, ride a bit and make conscious effort to take foot out from under the lever every shift.