PDA

View Full Version : Off-road guy in Whangaparaoa, New to KB, new to NZ (evJeff7)

evJeff7
3rd August 2015, 10:36
Hey Kiwibikers.
I just moved here from Canada a little over a month ago, now that I'm settled in I'm going to be picking up a used 250 in the next week or two. I'm 29, have been riding off-road since I was 12, but haven't gotten to ride more than once or twice a year in the last few years.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not any sort of ownership papers/registration is required for off road bikes here? I only plan on hitting up places like woodhill, and maybe a motocross track or two if I can ride enough to feel comfortable on a bike again.

Cheers

Tazz
3rd August 2015, 11:07
No papers needed here, yet.

For access to some areas you may need to have your bike checked over though, namely for a spark arrestor.

On public land, like the beach, legally speaking you should be road registered, but unless you are being a twit, you are very unlikely to run into trouble by not being. Just good to be aware of it though.

evJeff7
3rd August 2015, 11:10
No papers needed here, yet.

For access to some areas you may need to have your bike checked over though, namely for a spark arrestor.

So I guess when buying used I would just check the vin with the police and get something signed saying they sold me the bike?

Tazz
3rd August 2015, 11:15
So I guess when buying used I would just check the vin with the police and get something signed saying they sold me the bike?

You don't have to do either of those things, but that's the commonsense way to go about it.

Welcome to NZ btw man!