PDA

View Full Version : How to search within the ESE mega-thread?

seattle smitty
17th August 2015, 08:13
(Insert long sigh here) I hate, I hate to ask this, because I know I've seen the answer somewhere, the answer to various members' questions about how to narrow down a KB search.

But as always, I'm unable to find this info (using Advance Search with every word combination I can think of).

Generally my subject searches will refer me to the ESE thread. All ten thousand pages.

Others than me (notably our guru Frits Overmarrs) have noted the difficulty of finding anything with this site's Search function. There is nothing a computer-dummy like me can see within the Advanced Search page that indicates a way to narrow the focus. I'm certain I have seen answers (plural) to our distressed complaints . . . but WHERE?

Could one of you skilled info-locators please once-and-for-all-time give a detailed step-by-step set of search directions here, to show us how to find something WITHIN the ESE superthread using the Advance Search keyword or author box? Remember that you are, in at least one case, instructing the elderly. Altzheimered, and clueless.

(To the site Admin, if we get a good clear set of directions here, you might consider deleting my post and putting up the directions as a "sticky").

Muciek
17th August 2015, 08:35
Here is good search function using google, originally posted in ESE thread 749 page

Frits, many many thanks for a great artical ( and the previous 300 odd posts)

I have learned more in the last year reading posts from you, Wobbly and others than I have in the previous 50 years of 'playing' with two strokes.

I do not have much to offer to the discussion (apart from more questions!) but some may find this useful. Rather than use the site search which usually fails, use Google so to search this site use an ordinary search phrase and after it add

site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz

for example

Frits priceless site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz
or
Frits pisa site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz

the same will work for other sites with the appropriate site address

Mick

Mike.Gayner
17th August 2015, 09:37
There's an even better way if you're wanting to search within a particular thread.

For example if you wanted to search for “disc valve” in just the ESE thread, first you need to find the thread URL ID. Go into the ESE thread and grab the following info from the URL bar:

kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/86554

Now in google, search for: disc valve inurl:kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/86554

Using inurl: will only return results that have the appended string in the URL, so this search will target only that thread.

You might get just one result followed by text saying irrelevant results were omitted – just click “search with the omitted results included” to get a complete search.

You’re going to want to make your search as specific as possible, and let Google do the ranking.

edit: And just a quick follow up - don't even bother with the site's search. vBulletin search is notoriously useless, let Google do the leg work.

TZ350
17th August 2015, 19:56
Also page 500, 1000 and 1250 have a basic directory and a lot off the decade (10th) pages have their own small collections of quotes of interesting technical posts from the last few pages.

seattle smitty
18th August 2015, 03:42
Saying publicly what I've said privately, your regular indexings of the megathread are invaluable, TeeZee! Many thanks!!

Mike, I've been trying your method for the last half-hour, and it's not bad at all, so thank you very much! At last I can find things, wow.

Muciek, I'll take a look at your suggestions next time I can get on the computer.

chrisc
18th August 2015, 10:06
Forget everything you knew about 2 stroke tuning (the Ryger is another story :facepalm:), sponge up information systematically and never assume something hasn't been covered in there before.

No one mentioned the "view thread images" way of searching yet:

How to view all the images.

Go to Thread Tools at the top of the page and View Thread Images.

Now roll to the bottom of the page.

Here you can sort them from the beginning.

70 to a page, there are 6,000+ images

If you find something interesting just click on the images title and it will take you to the original post.

husaberg
20th August 2015, 15:57
(Insert long sigh here) I hate, I hate to ask this, because I know I've seen the answer somewhere, the answer to various members' questions about how to narrow down a KB search.

But as always, I'm unable to find this info (using Advance Search with every word combination I can think of).

Generally my subject searches will refer me to the ESE thread. All ten thousand pages.

Others than me (notably our guru Frits Overmarrs) have noted the difficulty of finding anything with this site's Search function. There is nothing a computer-dummy like me can see within the Advanced Search page that indicates a way to narrow the focus. I'm certain I have seen answers (plural) to our distressed complaints . . . but WHERE?

Could one of you skilled info-locators please once-and-for-all-time give a detailed step-by-step set of search directions here, to show us how to find something WITHIN the ESE superthread using the Advance Search keyword or author box? Remember that you are, in at least one case, instructing the elderly. Altzheimered, and clueless.

(To the site Admin, if we get a good clear set of directions here, you might consider deleting my post and putting up the directions as a "sticky").

When you use advanced search make sure you are searching with single content option tab at the top.
It also helps to add in the user name. If you know who posted it.

seattle smitty
21st August 2015, 04:41
Husaberg, "a single content option tab," what do I need to know about that? (I told you I'm dumb!). I have clicked on single content, one time, but didn't know what I was doing, and didn't get the result I hoped for.

chrisc, thank you for that!!

husaberg
21st August 2015, 11:06
Husaberg, "a single content option tab," what do I need to know about that? (I told you I'm dumb!). I have clicked on single content, one time, but didn't know what I was doing, and didn't get the result I hoped for.

chrisc, thank you for that!!

If you didn't get the results you were after on single content, you have used the wrong words. Don't use common or joining words.
Also make sure you are clicking the search for posts at the bottom.
pm what you were looking for and I will do a screenshot display of how to use it step by step.
But I would say from your opening post you are not clicking on the search by post button or searching within the thread itself.

OK try this
If you can't figure any bit out PM me
Click on the attachment three times to supersize it.

seattle smitty
22nd August 2015, 02:19
Wonderful, H-berg; I was doing parts of it in the wrong order. Thank you. Again, I am no doubt an extreme example, but there are others who have had trouble with this, and your clear directions should be a stand-alone "sticky" in some obvious location . . .

(BTW, I've found that box of clippings and am going thru it this week).