PDA

View Full Version : New Chain

merv
30th January 2004, 13:10
I bought a new DID chain for my VFR and fitted it this morning. When I got it out of the box its one of those sexy gold side plate chains - see pic - looks cool but are they as good as they look and do they last?

bungbung
30th January 2004, 13:56
Mate, If it looks as good as that, who cares? :banana:

I don't think DID can afford to mess up their reputation over cosmetics... or can they?

georgedubyabush
31st January 2004, 12:51
Had mine a couple of months. *looks out window* yip, still on there. Came with a riveted and a clip link so got to choose.

merv
31st January 2004, 18:27
Only had the choice of rivetted link with the 530 chain for the VFR. Box said chain was suitable for up to 150hp i.e. its the chain a level down from the superbike chain and about $100 cheaper so that's all I needed.

What?
31st January 2004, 18:33
That's the X-ring chain? I have them on both my F650 and CB1100. Brilliant chains (look nice too)

PeteThePom
31st January 2004, 20:56
These chains are the proverbial dogs bollox!

Have one on my zrx, still going strong after 10,000 MILES!
You'll notice with these that they need very little adjustment, even the initial stretch is minimal!

Personally I'd never use the clip link, they have a nasty habit of letting go. Rivet link is definitely the way to go, they NEVER let go, well unless you make a hash of the riveting. Having said that, the power coming out of a 250 means this isn't quite so critical, even so.....................:no:

Blackbird
1st February 2004, 07:48
Merv
I switched to a Scottoiler for chain lubrication 2 years ago and wish I'd done it sooner. I simply can't remember the last time I had to adjust the chain. Great way of saving money on chains and sprockets. If you're not familiar with them, check out this link. It's for fitting to a Blackbird, but the principles are the same for any bike.
http://www.superblackbird.co.uk/tech.htm
Cheers
Geoff

merv
1st February 2004, 09:20
Merv
I switched to a Scottoiler for chain lubrication 2 years ago and wish I'd done it sooner. I simply can't remember the last time I had to adjust the chain. Great way of saving money on chains and sprockets. If you're not familiar with them, check out this link. It's for fitting to a Blackbird, but the principles are the same for any bike.
http://www.superblackbird.co.uk/tech.htm
Cheers
Geoff

Yeah thanks I'm up with Scott Oiler info but I guess so far seeing I don't do big kms and I always go over the bike before rides I've really had no hassle with chains on the VFR or my dirt bikes so haven't considered the cost and fitting of a Scott Oiler for me to be worth it. This is the first new chain I've put on in 10 years as I only do about 4 - 5,000 a year (too busy doing other stuff including dirt biking). One of the first adjustments I did on my chain many years back was to loosen it because to me it was too tight out of the shop. VFR manual recommends about 25mm up and down slack measured at midpoint along the chain run. Lately though it was finally getting tired and running into the old tight and loose spots so you couldn't set it at a decent adjustment. The old chain was an RK brand which when I took it off I see it was an X-ring chain as well by the type of o-rings it had on it - I didn't realise they had been around that long.

p.s. sprockets are in very good nick so I didn't need to change them.

Blackbird
1st February 2004, 10:25
No worries! Probably hard to justify over $200 for a Scottoiler on that distance.

Work restricts my riding too so I try to make up for it with doing some long haul events like the 1000 miles in 24 hours ride. Not having to stop in the middle of the night and lube the chain is a godsend :2thumbsup.

I was quite disappointed with my original Honda chain. Although I greased it regularly, it stretched unevenly and required frequent adjustment. I had a better chain fitted at the same time as I put the Scottoiler on and have had no more problems. I do get a small amount of oil fling, but not enough to be annoying. Gets through about 50ml every 1500 k's.

Safe riding

Geoff

georgedubyabush
2nd February 2004, 09:29
These chains are the proverbial dogs bollox!

Have one on my zrx, still going strong after 10,000 MILES!
You'll notice with these that they need very little adjustment, even the initial stretch is minimal!

Personally I'd never use the clip link, they have a nasty habit of letting go. Rivet link is definitely the way to go, they NEVER let go, well unless you make a hash of the riveting. Having said that, the power coming out of a 250 means this isn't quite so critical, even so.....................:no:

Yeah, Ive twice lost clips, one was wired too. Chain never came apart though thankfully. Needless to say, with a choice this time I DID choose the riveted link.

Hitcher
2nd February 2004, 10:35
I believe the propaganda and have a Scottoiler fitted on the Zrex. It makes a bit of a mess but -- the way the chain threads through the rear swingarm. I have to wipe its arse every couple of days (summer weather probably thins the oil -- I've got the Scot set at 2).

Dave
2nd February 2004, 13:28
Don't think they'd like me running a scott oiler on the race track!

gpercivl
2nd February 2004, 13:57
Don't think they'd like me running a scott oiler on the race track!

Might be fun if you squirted it at the other competitors :D

PeteThePom
7th February 2004, 22:31
Yeah, Ive twice lost clips, one was wired too. Chain never came apart though thankfully. Needless to say, with a choice this time I DID choose the riveted link.I've seen more than one bike come in after a chain let go, man does that make a mess of your crankcases:Oops:

Firefight
7th February 2004, 22:43
I believe the propaganda and have a Scottoiler fitted on the Zrex. It makes a bit of a mess but -- the way the chain threads through the rear swingarm. I have to wipe its arse every couple of days (summer weather probably thins the oil -- I've got the Scot set at 2).

Yeah me too, Ive got it sorted now (on two) tried it on 5, man what a mess, if all else fails, read the instructions, another one of my failings.

Firefight :Oops: