PDA

View Full Version : Sitting for a restricted - without a 250

fpsware
30th January 2004, 13:21
I've finally decided to go and sit my restricted license, after all its been nearly 10 years since I got my learners. Mostly because my bike is worth a lot and I can't get insurance for riding outside my license restrictions.

The problem is, I ride a ZXR 400. I have no access to a 250. AA tell me I can't sit it on anything greater than a 250. I also can't rent a 250 because I don't have a full license, go figure.

I need to get hold of a 250, its the only thing I can think of. Can anyone suggest anything?

bondagebunny
30th January 2004, 13:27
approaching your local bike shop to see if they will let you take a 250 for a test ride, offer a slab for the social club - it has worked for people I know in the past. You will have to leave your bike there for security.

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 13:44
I've finally decided to go and sit my restricted license, after all its been nearly 10 years since I got my learners. Mostly because my bike is worth a lot and I can't get insurance for riding outside my license restrictions.

The problem is, I ride a ZXR 400. I have no access to a 250. AA tell me I can't sit it on anything greater than a 250. I also can't rent a 250 because I don't have a full license, go figure.

I need to get hold of a 250, its the only thing I can think of. Can anyone suggest anything?

This sounds like bike shop bullshit. Two bike shops I know of in Wellington have L-plated 250s available for rent for exactly this purpose. Also it may be an idea to ring the LTSA and ask if you can have a dispensation to sit the test "on the bike you normally ride". I know for a fact that they do this for people doing the competency-based full class 6 license exemption programme, so they may be prepared to do the same thing for you and your restricted license.

bungbung
30th January 2004, 13:51
The folks who run the Basic handling skills cert in Wellington have bikes available to hire for this purpose. Perhaps the same applies for your area? You could ring around the riding school type places.

fpsware
30th January 2004, 13:53
The folks who run the Basic handling skills cert in Wellington have bikes available to hire for this purpose. Perhaps the same applies for your area? You could ring around the riding school type places.

I've already tried this and they have nothing. The only thing they suggested was go to Hamilton / Auckland where they might have loan bikes.

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 14:07
I'm sure you've already looked at this option but...you don't know anyone who owns a 250cc?

fpsware
30th January 2004, 14:09
I'm sure you've already looked at this option but...you don't know anyone who owns a 250cc?

No. :disapint:

ching_ching
30th January 2004, 14:19
Hi fpsware,

I think Hitcher may have the idea. Come up with a really convincing argument to approach a local sickle shop. If they're really helpful and real sickle heads then they'll oblige a fellow rider.

the ching.

fpsware
30th January 2004, 14:27
:wacko: After spending the last 1 hour on the phone calling LTSA, AA & VTNZ (and a few other acronyms) I have come to the conclusion it can't be done.

LTSA said there is no way, not in this life time, no chance in hell that I can get any form of exception to sit a restricted test on anything greater than 250. It doesn't matter if I've been riding my 400 for 1 week or 10 years it has to be a 250 of less.

There are no rental places that will let me rent a 250cc (or anything) unless I have a full license. :brick:

I'm just about to call the last local bike shop and see how long it will take for them to turn me down.

fpsware
30th January 2004, 14:32
SUCCESS :niceone:

A local bike shop has a little 175 they rent out at $40 a day. Strangely enough it was the last place I thought I would be able to find one. :2thumbsup

James Deuce
30th January 2004, 14:32
Give Warwick at Bay City Motorcycles a call. I've just called him and he would be happy to help you out.

Phone him on: 578 3169

Tell him that Jim Walsh with the TRX sent you.

Jim2

James Deuce
30th January 2004, 14:33
LOL Simultaneous post!

fpsware
30th January 2004, 14:35
Give Warwick at Bay City Motorcycles a call. I've just called him and he would be happy to help you out.

Phone him on: 578 3169

Tell him that Jim Walsh with the TRX sent you.

Jim2

Thanks so much for your assistance. :done:

marty
30th January 2004, 15:15
gail at bay ride has a DR150 or similar just for guys like you too...about $50 for the test.

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 15:16
KiwiBiker forums to the rescue! Woo hoo!!

kasper
30th January 2004, 15:18
hey where you located?

if we get to gether i may be able to lend you a GL145 you could use for the test.

call me

kasper_nbs@hotmail.com for email and msn mesenger

icq 138760010

aol kasperjaguar

Hoon
30th January 2004, 17:07
:wacko: There are no rental places that will let me rent a 250cc (or anything) unless I have a full license. :brick:

Thats unfortunate. Auckland Rentals rented me an SR250 for $50 for half a day to sit my restricted and full license - it even had the L plate on it! They said that is pretty much all they use it for! They also didn't seem to mind me parking my TL1000s in their shop while I took it :)

If you get desperate you could ride up to AKL, get the SR250, sit your license up here then ride back.

fpsware
30th January 2004, 18:21
Thats unfortunate. Auckland Rentals rented me an SR250 for $50 for half a day to sit my restricted and full license - it even had the L plate on it! They said that is pretty much all they use it for! They also didn't seem to mind me parking my TL1000s in their shop while I took it :)

If you get desperate you could ride up to AKL, get the SR250, sit your license up here then ride back.

I've managed to source a bike here in Tauranga. Failing that, I was gonig to go to Auckland and do my test up there.