PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle on a Hayabusa?

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 08:06
Long story short - was adjusting the chain, one of the lock nuts on the adjuster rounded off - so I had to pull the rear axle, replace the rounded nut put all back together again.

However - when the rear axle nut is torqued up to its correct setting (72.5 Ft lb/100 NM) the bike does not move, If I loosen the rear axle nut off a little, the bike moves as it should.

When I put it back together again, there was sufficient (or so I thought) Axle grease on the bearing, Axle, Brake cradle and swingarm - but I suspect this is where I have seized (The Pun!)

Any other ideas would be appreciated - the engineer in me says that if the manual says 72.5 ft lb, then it should freely rotate when torqued to 72.5 ft lb and if it doesn't, then I have done something wrong.

jellywrestler
4th September 2015, 08:12
Long story short - was adjusting the chain, one of the lock nuts on the adjuster rounded off - so I had to pull the rear axle, replace the rounded nut put all back together again.

However - when the rear axle nut is torqued up to its correct setting (72.5 Ft lb/100 NM) the bike does not move, If I loosen the rear axle nut off a little, the bike moves as it should.

When I put it back together again, there was sufficient (or so I thought) Axle grease on the bearing, Axle, Brake cradle and swingarm - but I suspect this is where I have seized (The Pun!)

Any other ideas would be appreciated - the engineer in me says that if the manual says 72.5 ft lb, then it should freely rotate when torqued to 72.5 ft lb and if it doesn't, then I have done something wrong.

any spacers lying on the garage floor?

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 08:27
any spacers lying on the garage floor? My thoughts exactually man-

Madness
4th September 2015, 08:28
Have you asked Bogan yet?

No, Myself and Bogan just have Intelligence.

Maybe you're torque wrench needs calibration?

:killingme

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 08:33
any spacers lying on the garage floor?

I checked last night - will have a double check today, but I don't think so

nodrog
4th September 2015, 08:39
if you have all the spacers, check they are around the right way on the axle. the wide part faces the swingarm.

You could also check the spacer inside the wheel is fiited, as well as the cush drive spacer.

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 08:46
if you have all the spacers, check they are around the right way on the axle. the wide part faces the swingarm.

You could also check the spacer inside the wheel is fiited, as well as the cush drive spacer.

Hmmmm - I didn't check inside the wheel, I did have issues with what I thought was a bearing that sits between the Wheel and the Swingarm/brake cradle - it kept popping out, so I wonder if inside the wheel the same has happened.

Oh well, I guess I am re-pulling the bike apart this weekend.

All for the sake of one pissing, cunting, fucktarded, made-in-can't-make-nuts-for-shitistan, nut that wanted to get rounded.

(on a side note - my 10 year old set of SuperCheep Auto spanners probably didn't help matters)

nodrog
4th September 2015, 08:59
... what I thought was a bearing ..

Now you are scaring me.

May I suggest having somebody who knows what things are, having a look at it?

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 09:02
Now you are scaring me.

Agreed Big time

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 09:03
Now you are scaring me.

I may have to resort to that :(:(:(

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 10:06
I may have to resort to that :(:(:(

Better safe than sorry dude

Big Dog
4th September 2015, 10:21
I'd go to a parts catalogue and have a gander at the order and direction of all the parts in the exploded view.

Sent via tapatalk.

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 10:40
I'd go to a parts catalogue and have a gander at the order and direction of all the parts in the exploded view.

Sent via tapatalk.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman - I should be able to fix with that, if not, it will be expert time

nodrog
4th September 2015, 10:58
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman - I should be able to fix with that, if not, it will be expert time

But how will you know if the bearing is supposed to keep popping out?

hint: its not.

Kornholio
4th September 2015, 11:11
But how will you know if the bearing is supposed to keep popping out?

hint: its not.

Aunt Fanny would know, ask her

Big Dog
4th September 2015, 11:19
A piece of advice my dad gave me, always have two bowls. Parts going back on go in one bowl. Parts going in the bin go in the other.
Always draw or take photos of the order and orientation of parts you don't recognise as they come off.
When and only when every thing is working put the replaced parts in the bin. Any parts left in the going back on bowl must be eaten.

If I recall the rear axle is on cone shaped bearings. If half came out they need replacing. If both sides of the cage came out cleanly aspassed to leaving one sleeve in you will probably get away with a repack. The cones will stay together in the outer shell without the inner but will not pay nice.

I suspect though that reality comment about the spacers orientation is bang on. I got mine back from a tire change once with the rotor side spacer the wrong way round.
It looked right. But was not.

Sent via tapatalk.

nodrog
4th September 2015, 11:29
fuck does any cunt here know what they are talking about?

the wheel bearings aren't "cone shaped", I suspect the only thing cone shaped is the tobacco being smoked.

they are sealed bearings.

if it "comes out of its cage" its fucked.

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 11:39
fuck does any cunt here know what they are talking about?

the wheel bearings aren't "cone shaped", I suspect the only thing cone shaped is the tobacco being smoked.

they are sealed deep groove bearings.

if it "comes out of its cage" its fucked.

People always try to help with advise, ( An good on them but) but as you said- The Internet can be a fukin dangerous place with advise from home mechanics, or home spanner users at least, SORRY MECHANICS.

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 14:25
Just an update - so a mate came round, together we pulled the wheel off, put it back on, and now all fixed :scratch::scratch::weird:

I suspect that when I did it last night, either the Brake Cradle wasn't in the slide on the swingarm properly or one of those spacers (which aren't bearing - Even I can be an idiot sometimes) wasn't in correctly.

Thanks to all the suggestions - particular thanks for the suggestion of the parts catalogue for the exploded view - will keep that in mind for future reference.

/Thread

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 14:34
Just an update - so a mate came round, together we pulled the wheel off, put it back on, and now all fixed :scratch::scratch::weird:

I suspect that when I did it last night, either the Brake Cradle wasn't in the slide on the swingarm properly or one of those spacers (which aren't bearing - Even I can be an idiot sometimes) wasn't in correctly.

Thanks to all the suggestions - particular thanks for the suggestion of the parts catalogue for the exploded view - will keep that in mind for future reference.

/Thread

And what did you do about the faulty dangerous bearing?

Madness
4th September 2015, 14:44

No, Myself and Bogan just have Intelligence.

:facepalm:

TheDemonLord
4th September 2015, 14:44
And what did you do about the faulty dangerous bearing?

There was no faulty dangerous bearing.

Last night, when I pulled the wheel, I thought the spacer was the bearing (yes, I was being an idiot) - mainly because it sat in the wheel and rotated smoothly - therefore brain said: "bearing!" (No, Mr Demon Lord, its a Spacer).

Today with fresh eyes (and a second pair of eyes) pulled the wheel right out and pulled both spacers out to make sure I hadn't accidentally swapped them over as the 2-step spacer goes on the chain side, and the 3 step goes on the brake side. - also checked the hub absorbers to make sure all were in a nice fit (and they were).

I know you guys are worried about back yard mechanic disasters (and I am touched that you care) but she is back to her normal self - wheel spins freely when the axle nut is torqued correctly, chain has a nice 1.5 inches of slack and the Rear brake is behaving (although I could give it a bleed at some point to give a crisper pedal)

Shaun Harris
4th September 2015, 15:07
There was no faulty dangerous bearing.

Last night, when I pulled the wheel, I thought the spacer was the bearing (yes, I was being an idiot) - mainly because it sat in the wheel and rotated smoothly - therefore brain said: "bearing!" (No, Mr Demon Lord, its a Spacer).

Today with fresh eyes (and a second pair of eyes) pulled the wheel right out and pulled both spacers out to make sure I hadn't accidentally swapped them over as the 2-step spacer goes on the chain side, and the 3 step goes on the brake side. - also checked the hub absorbers to make sure all were in a nice fit (and they were).

I know you guys are worried about back yard mechanic disasters (and I am touched that you care) but she is back to her normal self - wheel spins freely when the axle nut is torqued correctly, chain has a nice 1.5 inches of slack and the Rear brake is behaving (although I could give it a bleed at some point to give a crisper pedal)

Cool. Just seen to many people hurt by bad work man ship mate, ME being one of them big time!

Moise
6th September 2015, 05:06
Hope you weren't drinking before you worked on the bike ...

nzspokes
6th September 2015, 08:17

I measure how hard a job is on how many beers it takes to complete.

AllanB
6th September 2015, 09:59

During is usually the approved process.....

FJRider
6th September 2015, 11:06
During is usually the approved process.....

Instead of is my preferred process ... <_<

TheDemonLord
6th September 2015, 12:51

Just Coke Zero

As an update - took her out for a Test Ride yesterday and she is back to her ol' self.

bogan
7th September 2015, 16:46

No, Myself and Bogan just have Intelligence.!
:facepalm:

And it wasn't even me who came around! :shit: