PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete radar detectors

Coldkiwi
8th January 2003, 12:23
Word on the street that I hear is that Mr Plod is about to do the nasty and change the radar bands they use to run the car radars against innocent responsible law abiding citizens (IRLAC) such as ourselves. As a community orientated IRLAC this is obviously of no consequence to me.... but I fear that it impinges upon the rights of others! (No, really!)

Anyway, I was about to buy a detector and got warned that this was about to happen and buying one now would be a bad move given the change coming up may render it useless.

Has anyone else got any info on this?:argh:

inlinefour
15th January 2005, 15:16
Word on the street that I hear is that Mr Plod is about to do the nasty and change the radar bands they use to run the car radars against innocent responsible law abiding citizens (IRLAC) such as ourselves. As a community orientated IRLAC this is obviously of no consequence to me.... but I fear that it impinges upon the rights of others! (No, really!)

Anyway, I was about to buy a detector and got warned that this was about to happen and buying one now would be a bad move given the change coming up may render it useless.

Has anyone else got any info on this?:argh:

the old ones aint worth a pinch of shite :shake:

marty
15th January 2005, 15:24
having just spent zillions on stalkers and lasers, i shouldn't think they'll be changing too rapidly. the worldwide standard is still K band, although POP radar (burstable-on) is being used more often, especially in the states and aussie. most high-end detectors (valentine/bell etc) have a POP radar mode - it can be turned on and off. POP radar is useful on freeway type roads, but on windy roads like we have here, the switchable K band (like the stalker) and hand held laser are still the leaders

Skyryder
16th January 2005, 11:57
having just spent zillions on stalkers and lasers, i shouldn't think they'll be changing too rapidly. the worldwide standard is still K band, although POP radar (burstable-on) is being used more often, especially in the states and aussie. most high-end detectors (valentine/bell etc) have a POP radar mode - it can be turned on and off. POP radar is useful on freeway type roads, but on windy roads like we have here, the switchable K band (like the stalker) and hand held laser are still the leaders

Intersting point: but do the 'fuzz' need to an entirely new range of detectors or can they change the settings of the existing ones? Anyone know?

On this subject I ran into a guy who swears by jammers. He was using a Rocky Mountain, not too sure of the model. Which brings to mind the next question. Which is the better of the two: jammers or detectors. Will start a new thread on this

Skyryder

k14
16th January 2005, 13:07
You need both. All a jammer does is stop you getting zapped by the laser guns. You still need a detector to pick up the Ka band radar. Don't think you can get a jammer for that, something to do with it being illegal to operate on that band without a licence.