PDA

View Full Version : Gears sticking

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 13:50
I ride a Honda CB250 and it blats along quite nicely. :confused: The only thing I've noticed is that after I've been for a bit of a ride (20mins for me!) when I stop to park up the gears stick, it takes me ages to get it into neutral. I can click through all the gears down for 1 and then up for neutral & then up for 2, 3,4 etc, etc but it won't go into neutral & it's really difficult to shift it back up. It only seems to happen when I've stopped to park up or it sometimes happens when I brake a little too hard :o

Any ideas/ suggestions/ tips?

Thanks Cathy

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 13:58
I ride a Honda CB250 and it blats along quite nicely. :confused: The only thing I've noticed is that after I've been for a bit of a ride (20mins for me!) when I stop to park up the gears stick, it takes me ages to get it into neutral. I can click through all the gears down for 1 and then up for neutral & then up for 2, 3,4 etc, etc but it won't go into neutral & it's really difficult to shift it back up. It only seems to happen when I've stopped to park up or it sometimes happens when I brake a little too hard :o

Any ideas/ suggestions/ tips?

Thanks Cathy

Buy a Kawasaki. The "positive neutral find" feature is almost worth the cost of admission!!

Motu
30th January 2004, 14:00
Very common,some bikes do it just because,sometimes there is a reason.Adjustments first,oil change using a good oil next,replace clutch as final fix.And it still may do it.

Or you could live with it as most do - shift to neutral before you stop,becomes second nature after a while.

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 14:11
Buy a Kawasaki. The "positive neutral find" feature is almost worth the cost of admission!!

I'm a poor student so I won't be getting a new bike until I finish my degree :p

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 14:13
Very common,some bikes do it just because,sometimes there is a reason.Adjustments first,oil change using a good oil next,replace clutch as final fix.And it still may do it.

Or you could live with it as most do - shift to neutral before you stop,becomes second nature after a while.

I think maybe an oil change & practicing going into neutral before I stop are the first 2 things I need to try. Cheers :)

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 14:23
using a good oil next

What is a good quality oil?

wildfire1
30th January 2004, 14:42
What is a good quality oil?

I had this problem with my CBX750 (not going into neutral easily), and I changed the oil to Motul Semi Synthetic 10-40W and this fixed the problem. I use the Motul oil in in all my bikes, and the gearboxes change fine even when really hot. I know it is much more expensive than standard mineral oil, but sometimes quality is worth paying a bit more for.

You can buy Motul at Motormail, and most other motorcycle shops- It's worth a try first. :calm: :beer:

Good luck!

ching_ching
30th January 2004, 14:47
Hi Celtic,

If you come to a stop and you find it difficult to find neutral, try going forward ever so slightly using your clutch, stop then try hitting neutral again. Gearing may still be under tension at the moment of stopping. Don't worry, slipping into neutral while still moving or rolling is one of the many usual skills you'll pick up in no time.

ching

duckman
30th January 2004, 14:54
Try letting the clutch out just enough so that it starts to pull and then bring the clutch all the way back in, and then try for neutral again,

Also,

Try rocking the bike back and forwards and then re-try selecting neutral.

I've had the same problem on many bikes and the above usually gets you outta gear.

Good luck and let us know if this works for you.... :2thumbsup

MikeL
30th January 2004, 19:53
My Honda 400 has a similar tendency but I've just learned to live with it. If you come to a stop and you're still in 6th gear it will be quite difficult to get into neutral, so the answer is: change down through the gears before you stop. This is a good idea anyway particularly if you are approaching a traffic light as you need to be in the appropriate gear to accelerate away when the light changes. I can remember some embarrassing moments when a light turned green, cars behind me tooting, and me desperately trying to change down and the gearbox not cooperating. :sweatdrop
Oil changes can help but probably won't eliminate the problem completely.

riffer
30th January 2004, 20:20
My FZR is pretty lousy for this as well. I've learnt through bitter experiece to go through the gears when slowing for lights. Of course, I still don't know EXACTLY what gear I'm in from the revs so I'm still finding myself talking the gears through in my head (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd - push the lever down just a bit - and 'click' it goes into neutral easily).

I just did an oil change a couple of weeks ago - put in Advance SX on the recommendation of Maidstone Yamaha here in Upper Hutt. The bike is much better through the gears both up and down now (no false neutrals) but I'm not too sure if its helped the neutral thing from a stop.

Good luck !

merv
30th January 2004, 20:29
How's the clutch adjustment? Maybe you need to tighten it up a bit so the clutch isn't dragging too much when you are trying to find neutral. Otherwise its much as the others have said, oil should be clean and filled to the right level. Only other thing can be if your clutch basket is getting worn the clutch can stick a bit because the plates get stuck in grooves.

Ms Piggy
31st January 2004, 19:06
Thanks all for your advice & input. :) I've booked my bike in for a oil change & I'm gonna get them to look at the gears for me too.