PDA

View Full Version : CBTA Class 6 Full Course

Blackadda
24th September 2005, 05:55
Going on the CBTA Full Licence Course today, yehaaaaaaaaaaaa!:Punk:

However my putt putt Gixxa has decided it doesn't want to play, having to loan a bike.

Any one got any ideas on Overheating? I fix the water pump housing as it was cracked, now it got no leaks, but overheats something chronic? grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:doh:

White trash
24th September 2005, 06:15
No problem, had the same problem with my RGV.

You need to bleed all the air out of the water pump. Imagine that the impeller has a big bubble of air around it, the rest of the system's full of water and the pump is spinning but it's in open air, not moving water.

There should be a 10mm bolt on the top of the water pump housing, remove it (or loosen it) and continue to fill the cooling system as the bike's running. As soon as only water's coming out of there, nip it up and Bob's your uncle.

Blackadda
24th September 2005, 06:19
Genius..............where's me spanna!

screwdriver..............hacksaw............gas axe.............pliers..............hamma

ahh, that'll do!

Blackadda
24th September 2005, 22:51
Well I did it! Completed the restricted to full course through Passrite.

And I passed.......... ye haaaaa......... but so did everyone!

All those who were there today had their heads screwed on, we all had a good ride.

The course itself is good, gives you plenty of food for thought when your out riding. Well worth it to save yourself 6 mths.

Cheers Passrite. Now I only have to wait 1 to 2 weeks for the letter form the LTSA and I'm a full blown KB.

Blackadda
25th September 2005, 19:03
No Ta... now I can finally ride me Gixxa 750 legal like!

Scorpygirl
25th September 2005, 19:14
Newbie questions. How do you get into CBTA and who can you do it with? What are the pro and cons? Is it a better way to go? Just want to know some details. Thanks

Blackadda
25th September 2005, 21:41
Give Passrite a call. They appear to be the only ones in Auckland doing it or Roadsafe for those Wellingtonians.

Basically to get from Learner to Restricted and Restricted to learner without having to wait months you can do one day courses which if you pass entitle you to apply to move to your full licence pretty quickly. You need to be over 25 and have had 'X' amount of years driving without too many demerits or offences etc. Try www.passrite.co.nz

Well worth it scorpy

Patrick
25th September 2005, 21:45
Basically to get from Learner to Restricted and Restricted to learner without having to wait months...

Talk about one step forward, one step backward... :doh: ...

Scorpygirl
25th September 2005, 21:52
Give Passrite a call. They appear to be the only ones in Auckland doing it or Roadsafe for those Wellingtonians.

Basically to get from Learner to Restricted and Restricted to learner without having to wait months you can do one day courses which if you pass entitle you to apply to move to your full licence pretty quickly. You need to be over 25 and have had 'X' amount of years driving without too many demerits or offences etc. Try www.passrite.co.nz

Well worth it scorpy

Thanks Blackadda - qualify for the over 25 big time and I have had my car licence for 23 years with only 20 demerits points which will be wiped out by now. Worth thinking about indeed. Thanks

Blackadda
25th September 2005, 21:56
Talk about one step forward, one step backward... :doh: ...

:Oops::doh::doh::doh:

Been at work all da... been a veeeery loonnngggggg day!

You know what I mean fella!

Patrick
25th September 2005, 22:48
:Oops::doh::doh::doh:

Been at work all da... been a veeeery loonnngggggg day!

You know what I mean fella!

Yeah I know, always out for a laugh... :lol: :rofl:

texmo
25th September 2005, 23:33
hmmm I want to do this course just for the learning experiance but they wont let me...

SARGE
26th September 2005, 08:39
Newbie questions. How do you get into CBTA and who can you do it with? What are the pro and cons? Is it a better way to go? Just want to know some details. Thanks

talk to Jarrah Wilkins at Passrite

steved
26th September 2005, 14:04
I didn't realise there was another KB on the course in the weekend. I thought it was just me and Keystone. Whose group were you in Blackadda?

Scorpygirl
26th September 2005, 18:32
hmmm I want to do this course just for the learning experiance but they wont let me...

Why not Texmo? Seems a bit harsh!!! :argh:

Blackadda
26th September 2005, 19:28
I didn't realise there was another KB on the course in the weekend. I thought it was just me and Keystone. Whose group were you in Blackadda?

I was using a borrowed GN. My little Gixxa gave up on Thursday arvo. Were you on the 'DA' taht didn't want to play either?

Macktheknife
26th September 2005, 19:31
You didnt notice me either then huh?

Blackadda
26th September 2005, 19:35
Wot were you riding MAK!

Macktheknife
26th September 2005, 19:48
Wot were you riding MAK!
One of the rentals too, I wouldnt shame my bike by showing up on it...... besides it wasnt finished yet. lol :drinknsin
And heavenly talker was there too, are you sure you were awake all day????

Blackadda
26th September 2005, 19:54
I got a little sleepy, but took most of it in. I thought it was OK overall. Like most courses, sitting around for a couple of hours can put you to sleep. They should get everyone to do some time trials down Church St first to wake everyone up, then sit around yappin!

steved
27th September 2005, 08:46
I was using a borrowed GN. My little Gixxa gave up on Thursday arvo. Were you on the 'DA' taht didn't want to play either?
Nah, I was on the 2.5 cylinder CBR250.

Leong
28th September 2005, 13:53
Thanks Blackadda - qualify for the over 25 big time and I have had my car licence for 23 years with only 20 demerits points which will be wiped out by now. Worth thinking about indeed. Thanks

Yeah, me too, driving way too many years, and last demerits probably 20 yrs ago. I'm keen to learn more, but also keen to give myself time to gain confidence. Think I saw a review somewhere here about the CBTA course... but I'd be keen to read other comments on the courses

Keystone19
28th September 2005, 17:25
Yeah, me too, driving way too many years, and last demerits probably 20 yrs ago. I'm keen to learn more, but also keen to give myself time to gain confidence. Think I saw a review somewhere here about the CBTA course... but I'd be keen to read other comments on the courses

Well, for what it's worth, I have just finished going through the CBTA system. I got my Learners at Passrite and had that for three months before going and doing the Restricted course.

The Restricted course was interesting and I felt I learnt some good theoretical stuff that I didn't know or hadn't thought about for a long time. Stuff like the 12 second rule where you should always be able to see 12 seconds ahead and if a car is too close behind you to drop back from the car in front of you to give you more room to stop if you need it so the guy behind doesn't ram you. Also some motorcycle dynamics stuff.

We also did some on road stuff which was fine (except for the Uturns - lol)

6 weeks later I did my Full course. This was less theory and more about riding. We had to demonstrate that we could ride comfortably at open road speeds and there was a bit of stuff about cornering. Didn't learn as much as on teh Restricted course but did find it consolidated what I had learnt. Still screwed up the u turns.

I think the course is good, I do think you need to be moderately competent at the stuff before you go so practise is good.

I think I learnt more motorcycle handling skills on the Bronz Ride Right Ride Safe Course but that, of course, doesn't get you a license!

steved
28th September 2005, 20:54
I think I learnt more motorcycle handling skills on the Bronz Ride Right Ride Safe Course but that, of course, doesn't get you a license!Is the Bronz course a regular thing?

Blackadda
28th September 2005, 22:01
We also did some on road stuff which was fine (except for the Uturns - lol)

It didn't help having a mad chinaman waving his arms about as though you were landing on an aircraft carrier lol!

My first go I was watching him and laughing, forgot I had to do a U eeeeee!:2thumbsup

Keystone19
28th September 2005, 22:18
Is the Bronz course a regular thing?

Yeah, every month. PM CaN, he has the details...

Blackadda
28th September 2005, 22:48
Must point out that the mad chinaman is not actually mad.......just a little crazy. He was very entertaining. Makes courses like these a little more enjoyable.

For more info on Bike courses, DON'T call the LTSA, they are frigin useless. Before I booked at Passrite, I called them for info, they hadn't heard about these courses, the ones they are ENDORSING? NGhhhhhhhhhh!

Leong
29th September 2005, 10:21
Well, for what it's worth, I have just finished going through the CBTA system. I got my Learners at Passrite and had that for three months before going and doing the Restricted course.
6 weeks later I did my Full course. .......

Thanks Keystone!
So you got your full license in 4.5months? Sounds good to me.... I'd rather do these courses while things are fresh in my head, bit of repetition helps it all sink in. Also while the L plate was good at the very beginning, I think drivers tend to take advantage of you. ( Or is it just my road "posture" )

SO does this mean you'll get a bigger bike..... or stay with the 250 for a bit?

Leong
29th September 2005, 11:45
Well, I just had a look at the Passrite website and enrolled for the Restricted course on 8 October. Will be out on the bike every opportunity till then.... What else should I be practicing... U turns...

steved
29th September 2005, 12:56
Well, I just had a look at the Passrite website and enrolled for the Restricted course on 8 October. Will be out on the bike every opportunity till then.... What else should I be practicing... U turns...Hill-starts, U-turns and swivelling your head. Head swivelles are the absolute main thing they stress.

Keystone19
29th September 2005, 13:19
Thanks Keystone!
So you got your full license in 4.5months? Sounds good to me.... I'd rather do these courses while things are fresh in my head, bit of repetition helps it all sink in. Also while the L plate was good at the very beginning, I think drivers tend to take advantage of you. ( Or is it just my road "posture" )

SO does this mean you'll get a bigger bike..... or stay with the 250 for a bit?

I am planning to get a new bike shortly...

Keystone19
29th September 2005, 13:20
Hill-starts, U-turns and swivelling your head. Head swivelles are the absolute main thing they stress.

Yeah, and don't forget to practice U turns...

Oh, and U turns...

Leong
30th September 2005, 19:13
Hill-starts, U-turns and swivelling your head. Head swivelles are the absolute main thing they stress.

Did a few U-Turns today, yes will need more practice doing the head swivels without changing direction. Is there a trick to this, or just practice?

Keystone19
30th September 2005, 19:19
Did a few U-Turns today, yes will need more practice doing the head swivels without changing direction. Is there a trick to this, or just practice?

You need to look where you are going and when you are doing a u turn that means right back over your shoulder.

I practised heaps as some will tell you (i got dizzy going around and around and around...) but i still screwed them up on the day. Still, when I finally got my nerves under control I did it perfectly so I guess the practise eventually did pay off.

Leong
30th September 2005, 19:48
You need to look where you are going and when you are doing a u turn that means right back over your shoulder.
Are we starting the U turn from a standing start, or while moving? I found the hardest part, was checking my blind spot while going slowly prior to starting the U turn, I tend to wander right... which is NOT good if there is someone in that blind spot. And unlike a push bike, you can't just take your hand off the right handlebar to stop yourself from going right!

Keystone19
30th September 2005, 20:16
Are we starting the U turn from a standing start, or while moving? I found the hardest part, was checking my blind spot while going slowly prior to starting the U turn, I tend to wander right... which is NOT good if there is someone in that blind spot. And unlike a push bike, you can't just take your hand off the right handlebar to stop yourself from going right!

At passrite you have to ride from a driveway left (indicate) up a dead end street, indicate, look over your shoulder, do the u turn, turn indicator off, ride down the road, indicate, look over shoulder, do u turn back up street, turn indicator off, ride up street, indicate, head check, and pull in to left.

Or something like that! Main thing is to indicate, do head checks, and actually complete the u turns...

Leong
30th September 2005, 20:25
Thanks Keystone

steved
30th September 2005, 20:52
Main thing is to indicate, do head checks, and actually complete the u turns........ and not put a foot down! Although I did 3 times and still passed. Eyes on the horizon also. This takes some getting used to but actually makes cornering in general much safer/better. Not looking at the road surface is a hard habit to break though. :sweatdrop

Blackadda
30th September 2005, 20:53
At passrite you have to ride from a driveway left (indicate) up a dead end street, indicate, look over your shoulder, do the u turn, turn indicator off, ride down the road, indicate, look over shoulder, do u turn back up street, turn indicator off, ride up street, indicate, head check, and pull in to left.

Or something like that! Main thing is to indicate, do head checks, and actually complete the u turns...

And do it without putting your foot on the ground or falling off! :doh:

heavenly.talker
3rd October 2005, 20:50
One thing to know about the restricted is the good cop, bad cop routine. Some (one) of the instructors are real keen on breaking the confidence of the group before building it back up.

This was a shock to us and we felt it was entirely unwarranted...but hey...you just do what gets you through to the other side. This doesn't happen on the full course so maybe its just them ensuring you met the standard.

You will be required to weave through cones so make sure you practice that in a car park before attending (infact all of the tests you did for your basic handling skills). You will also be required to demonstrate good braking technique. Safety and obeying the law is given hugh emphasis so make sure you are ofay with the road rules and are practicing your head checks. This is a tedious way to start the morning off but they have to make the course last all day somehow. It was at this point I noticed a slight pooing pooing of participants that had not done their own basic handling course compared to others. This did not seem to be fair as one of their own graduates was absolutely shocking!

The theory is mindnumbingly boring...make sure you take some snacks to eat in class! They do provide coffee and tea which is great :-) The only good news is they try and break up the theory with rides quite often. It gives you a chance to stretch your legs and the like...thanks god for small mercies!! ;-)

Well that pretty much sums up the day...you will be pleased to finish and the end result (the restricted) does make it all worthwhile both in time and money value.

Hope that helps and have fun :-)

steved
4th October 2005, 14:48
One thing to know about the restricted is the good cop, bad cop routine. Some (one) of the instructors are real keen on breaking the confidence of the group before building it back up.

This was a shock to us and we felt it was entirely unwarranted...but hey...you just do what gets you through to the other side. This doesn't happen on the full course so maybe its just them ensuring you met the standard.I don't think the routine was organised. The bad cop is just that way inclined, a lot more grouchy serious about riding. Phil (good cop?) is the guy doing all of the assessing anyway and has a very calming demeanour to riding.

Blackadda
12th October 2005, 20:27
Would you believe it, it took 2 weeks and 2 days for me to get the letter from the LTSA barstards. And that was only after having to give Passrite a call.

Thanks Passrite, great job :-)

BOOO LTSA.......... :-(

Keystone19
12th October 2005, 23:04
Would you believe it, it took 2 weeks and 2 days for me to get the letter from the LTSA barstards. And that was only after having to give Passrite a call.

Thanks Passrite, great job :-)

BOOO LTSA.......... :-(

Well guess what, I am still waiting and so is Victoria and SteveD as far as I'm aware.

The LTNZ are a pack of useless bureaucrats... :argh:

justsomeguy
12th October 2005, 23:12
Well guess what, I am still waiting and so is Victoria and SteveD as far as I'm aware.

Don't act so surprised - they are part of the gubbermint - they have a reputation to maintain.

Blackadda
13th October 2005, 05:53

When Jarrah spoke to them, they said "sorry we are still processing some. They will be sent out in the next few days"".

Surprise surprise, mine arrived the very next morning by fast post?

I guess the LTSA staff member must have moved their newspaper and found a pile of paper on the desk...oh better do these now, been here a while "" :argh:

If you see nothing today, give Jarrah a call!

Colapop
13th October 2005, 07:43
Morning all. My missus works for the AA and even they have problems with LTSA. She mentioned to me about the CBTA with Roadsafe down here in Welly (cost $275), and after reading your guys experinces etc I'm thinking I'll have to get along there, but not til I'll do a couple of months riding to get my skills back up to speed though - I rode a few years ago (no lisence) then stopped and having just got my skills cert last weekend...

thehollowmen
13th October 2005, 09:10
has anybody heard about the 12 week course to your full?

My workmate mentioned his daughter brought home a pamphlet on it... she wants to sit it and steal his big bike.

Anyways.. I've asked him to bring in the pamphlet to photocopy.. I'm seriouisly worried about people able to get their full in 12 weeks..

Colapop
13th October 2005, 11:21
I thought it was two courses? Learners - Restricted and then Restricted - Full. No-one should be able to get their full lisence in 12 weeks flat - unless they want to be just that - flat! Getting experience is the biggest part of the bike lisence process.

jimdaworm
13th October 2005, 11:34
It is possible, I did it. In theory you dont have to wait at all if your over 25 and have held your full car license for more than 2 years.

Colapop
13th October 2005, 13:31
Did you do it through Roadsafe? Were they good? Was it worth it? You went straight from No bike lisence to Full in 12 weeks? How much does it cost? Any other questions I should ask???

Keystone19
13th October 2005, 16:31
When Jarrah spoke to them, they said "sorry we are still processing some. They will be sent out in the next few days"".

Surprise surprise, mine arrived the very next morning by fast post?

I guess the LTSA staff member must have moved their newspaper and found a pile of paper on the desk...oh better do these now, been here a while "" :argh:

If you see nothing today, give Jarrah a call!

Arrived today... :2thumbsup :spudflip: :D :ride: :woohoo: :banana:

heavenly.talker
13th October 2005, 16:40
Me too!!!!!

Yay and about bl**dy time too!
Jarrah said the LTSA have now decided that they will not process full exemptions until at least 14 days after they receive them.

We went down to AA with the letters today and got the full. YAY!
Betty (my grown up bike) and me are now going to go out and play.

thehollowmen
13th October 2005, 17:17
I thought it was two courses? Learners - Restricted and then Restricted - Full. No-one should be able to get their full lisence in 12 weeks flat - unless they want to be just that - flat! Getting experience is the biggest part of the bike lisence process.
that is exactly what I'm worried about

heavenly.talker
13th October 2005, 17:24
that is exactly what I'm worried about

We didn't do it like that. We has our learners for ages before we got jack of them and got off the b-hind to move from them.

Agree...a one or two people on the course should have more riding experience before doing it but most of them were adults who had been biking for years with no license or on a learners rather than people starting from the very beginning.

This is the type of person the LTSA are trying to get through the course too. That is why they are only trialling it at present.

SlowHand
13th October 2005, 17:34
Dang I'll be in with a grin for that 12weeker - Probably more official training than the 50%+ guys here got in their 'golden days' anyway. Doubt it will be as cheap though. Grrr

Pex Adams
13th October 2005, 20:51
I've had my Learners now for 3 months, and have been riding pretty much everyday since. I have my restricted CBTA course on this Wednesday coming. There are two main reasons for me to hurry up and get my full.
1. Over the past few months I have decided that riding on the Wellington Motorway in Peak hour traffic doing 70km p/hr is dangerous not only for the rider but also the people trying to get past.
2. I don't want to get a ticket for doing 90 - 100km on the open road.

To me getting the restricted is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying Mr. Tax Collector Policeman. :Police:
I'm not a very experienced rider considering some of the people that have blasted past me over the rimataka's. :headbang: However I enjoy been out there, and feel that I'm ready to move on to the next stage of my licence. :brick:

Blackadda
13th October 2005, 21:46
Well worth it Pex. Go for your life. Great to get the bit of paper so you can ride in peace, not looking aver your shoulder for mr fuzz!

jimdaworm
14th October 2005, 06:13
Hey colapop, it was a good experience, I did it though Roadsafe. Not cheap though :whistle:

Restriced=$275 for course+$40 ish for LTSA to give you your restriced.
Full=$275 for course+$40 ish for LTSA to give you your restriced.

You have to have held your full car license for 2 years and be over 25 with an ok driving history to qualify not to have to wait.

I learnt heaps, I posted in another thead, according to a study in Aussie where they have CBTA, chances are similar for people having accidents between people who have completed CBTA and those who have just waited out the time, obviously the people who wait out the time would be more experienced.

I believe that a 250 is just as dangerous to a nutcase as a bigger bike more in some respects and less in others more so.

My $2 :calm:

Colapop
14th October 2005, 10:29
I believe that a 250 is just as dangerous to a nutcase as a bigger bike more in some respects and less in others more so.

Driving my little meatwagon through town last weekend showed me that!! Idiot on a RGV doing too much k's, weaving through traffic down town - nearly got cleaned out twice in a couple of hundred metres by turning traffic. :kick: That boy is gonna hurt himself. (And someone innocent) Bikers get enough grief without idiots like that.
Back to thread though $630 all up? Wowie. I'm gonna have to work a few wends to get that kinda dosh. Nearly costs as much as the Suka! :whistle:
It's definetely 2 courses?

jimdaworm
14th October 2005, 11:50
Yep its 2 courses. That of course is excluding the handling certificate and scratchie test they charge you for before you can do the cbta course :mellow:

steved
14th October 2005, 16:07
Yep its 2 courses. That of course is excluding the handling certificate and scratchie test they charge you for before you can do the cbta course :mellow:Yeah. My Full license cost a bit less than a grand.

heavenly.talker
16th October 2005, 08:54
I've had my Learners now for 3 months, and have been riding pretty much everyday since. I have my restricted CBTA course on this Wednesday coming. There are two main reasons for me to hurry up and get my full.
1. Over the past few months I have decided that riding on the Wellington Motorway in Peak hour traffic doing 70km p/hr is dangerous not only for the rider but also the people trying to get past.
2. I don't want to get a ticket for doing 90 - 100km on the open road.

To me getting the restricted is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying Mr. Tax Collector Policeman. :Police:
I'm not a very experienced rider considering some of the people that have blasted past me over the rimataka's. :headbang: However I enjoy been out there, and feel that I'm ready to move on to the next stage of my licence. :brick:

Good for you :-)

Gor for it!

notme
16th October 2005, 10:53

I know people with thier full who have a sum total of about 2 hour's experience - it makes far more sense that you can get your license in a very short time IF you can demonstrate the appropriate skills, rather than proving that you can simply wait a certain period of time.

The CBTA courses could do with a few improvements, but that's why the trial is happening, and it's already WAY better than the current licensing system IMHO (having been thru both).

And for what it's worth, I would recommend everyone go on the BRONZ course - cheap, fun and very valuable, plus for me personally knowing that it wasn;t any sort of assesment there was no pressure, just a nice relaxed LEARNING environment. :niceone:

Colapop
17th October 2005, 12:10
Is the BRONZ (what does BRONZ stand for?) course available in Wgtn? I'm keen to get more learned about riding - rather than finding out the hard way.

notme
17th October 2005, 12:50
http://www.bronz.org.nz/contacts.htm

Biker's Rights Organisation NZ

:niceone:

Pex Adams
22nd October 2005, 10:12
Well after completing the restricted CBTA course on Wednesday, I am so glad I did! I could have easily waited another 3 months and sat my restricted with a member of NZ's biggest street gang :Police: , and learnt nothing at all about what I might have been doing wrong, or improving on things that I might be able to do better. The course not only made me more aware of the hazards of riding, but also made me far more aware of the bikes capablities (especially under braking).
Spending time just practicing on the bike riding never would have given me this information, or the skills to deal with it. At the end of the day, if I have to use the skills I learnt on wednesday just once will I realise the full value for money I received by doing the course. Of course its really great to get the restricted license out of it as well, however getting the license is secondary to the skills learnt on it.

Finally I would like to mention that Andrew did a really great job, and can't wait to go ahead and do the full license in due time :clap:

Dafe
25th October 2005, 18:00
Spending time just practicing on the bike riding never would have given me this information, or the skills to deal with it.

Wait 12 months after your CBTA training..... You'll then realise that time on your bike does count, coz nothings gonna teach you how to smoke it up and down the Takas other than the time spent practicing it, and hanging with some good riders........CBTA don't teach you how to ride the lines real nice on the Takas bro! Riding the Takas will teach you to know your bike! :niceone:

Cookie
26th October 2005, 12:51
Hey colapop, it was a good experience, I did it though Roadsafe. Not cheap though :whistle:

Restriced=$275 for course+$40 ish for LTSA to give you your restriced.
Full=$275 for course+$40 ish for LTSA to give you your restriced.

You have to have held your full car license for 2 years and be over 25 with an ok driving history to qualify not to have to wait...

Thanks for this info jimdaworm!

Does anyone know of an Auckland organisation doing the same thing? I am already sick of carrying my L plate about in my pocket AND I would prefer to do some decent training rather than the old "If you are still alive in 6 months, come back to us for your Restricted Test". <_<

Keystone19
26th October 2005, 13:16
Thanks for this info jimdaworm!

Does anyone know of an Auckland organisation doing the same thing? I am already sick of carrying my L plate about in my pocket AND I would prefer to do some decent training rather than the old "If you are still alive in 6 months, come back to us for your Restricted Test". <_<

passrite

www.passrite.co.nz