PDA

View Full Version : GN125H valve clearance troubles (No clearance?)

h0dgep0dge
9th September 2015, 12:40
I've recently scored a deregistered 2012 GN125H (Fixing it up for my girlfriend) and everything has been going smoothly. She got new levers, new clutch cable, new tach cable, new chain, new oil + filter, all bog standard stuff, but the bike has had trouble getting up to speed; when you're in 4th or 5th gear, the engine doesn't want to push you faster than 4000 revs. My first suspects were the carb or spark plug, so I replaced both of those; no joy. I'd decided to take a look at the valve timing (It felt a bit similar to riding a bike with bad timing), and thought that I would check out the valve clearance while I was at it. The internet told me to set it to 0.08-0.13mm, so I whipped out the feeler gauge, turned the engine to TDC and had a crack at it. What I found was that I couldn't get the feeler gauge under the tappet, noway nohow. I thought perhaps I had it at TDC of the wrong stroke, turned it a few times, couldn't get it under, even with the tapped completely removed; the valve is pressing right up against the rocker arm, with no space at all. Anyone got any clues?

h0dgep0dge
9th September 2015, 15:36
So I feel like a right dick. As it turns out the rocker arms are spring loaded. I've only ever worked on my bike (a 30 year old gn250), and if that thing ever had spring loaded rocker arms, it certainly doesn't now.

Kickaha
9th September 2015, 18:35
As it turns out the rocker arms are spring loaded.
No they aren't

Trade_nancy
9th September 2015, 18:39
Make sure you are checking valve clearances with the motor stone cold..cannot be checked if it has been run.

Drew
9th September 2015, 19:22
No they aren't

Phew, thought parts had fallen out of the one I've worked on.

The motor shouldn't be at TDC anyway. Point the lobe directly away from rocker, then check the clearance.

If it'sriding the backs of the cams, it'll be well down on power and present with symptoms just like you describe.

h0dgep0dge
9th September 2015, 21:31
No they aren't

Yes, they are. I took the rocker cover off and saw the springs with my own eyes.

The motor shouldn't be at TDC anyway. Point the lobe directly away from rocker, then check the clearance.

At TDC on the compression stroke the cam lobes are facing down.

Kickaha
9th September 2015, 22:36
Yes, they are. I took the rocker cover off and saw the springs with my own eyes..

I think you need http://www.specsavers.co.nz

Unless the design changed a lot in the later models the only springs in there are valve springs

ducatilover
9th September 2015, 22:38
Hah, I was bidding on that one for a bit. But went to the pub instead.
I may be able to offer a hand if need be, I'm local

It has the same rocker system as your GN250. Only springs on them are to keep the rocker shaft centered

h0dgep0dge
10th September 2015, 00:58
It has the same rocker system as your GN250

That can't possibly be true, for 2 reasons. The 250 is a 2 valve system, and this particular 125 has great ruddy springs on the rockers.

Unless the design changed a lot in the later models the only springs in there are valve springs

Maybe they did? idfk. All I know is there are most certainly 2 torsion springs applying a pre-load to the tappets onto the valve stem. Is it an OEM part? Dunno. Should they be there? No clue. But I know with 100% certainty that they are there.

Drew
10th September 2015, 06:37
Those springs might be holding the rockers off the cams, it would be stupid for them to be holding them on it. It would promote heat. That would be followed by the surfaces getting fucked, shortly thereafter you have horrible noises and then failure.

mossy1200
10th September 2015, 06:53
Failure.

This sounds likely.

h0dgep0dge
10th September 2015, 18:10
Those springs might be holding the rockers off the cams

I fail to see a meaningful difference. All that matters is that there are springs applying a torque that results in a force down on the valve from the tappet, and that is why I couldn't feel the clearance to begin with.

Drew
10th September 2015, 18:16
I fail to see a meaningful difference. All that matters is that there are springs applying a torque that results in a force down on the valve from the tappet, and that is why I couldn't feel the clearance to begin with.Ah, I see what is going on now.

Hang on. Why are you not checking the clearance between the cam, and the rocker?

nodrog
10th September 2015, 18:19
I fail to see a meaningful difference. All that matters is that there are springs applying a torque that results in a force down on the valve from the tappet, and that is why I couldn't feel the clearance to begin with.

is your camera broken too?

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 00:00
Why are you not checking the clearance between the cam, and the rocker?

Well, the rocker is attached to the head cover, and to get to the gap between the cam and rocker i'd need to remove the head cover. As to why the engine is designed for checking the valve-rocker clearance rather than the rocker-cam clearance, I dunno. Perhaps so that you can both inspect the valve stem and adjust the clearance through the same inspection cover. But seriously, you'd have to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about

is your camera broken too?

what does that even mean?

husaberg
11th September 2015, 01:26
Well, the rocker is attached to the head cover, and to get to the gap between the cam and rocker i'd need to remove the head cover. As to why the engine is designed for checking the valve-rocker clearance rather than the rocker-cam clearance, I dunno. Perhaps so that you can both inspect the valve stem and adjust the clearance through the same inspection cover. But seriously, you'd have to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about

The valve clearance is measured between the top of the valves and the rocker ie nowhere near the cam.
there will be inspection holes to measure the clearance through.

Drew
11th September 2015, 06:26

The valve clearance is measured between the top of the valves and the rocker ie nowhere near the cam.
there will be inspection holes to measure the clearance through.
From my vague memory of doing it once on Al's 125, he's speaking the truth about not being able to get to the cam.

I'm pretty sure the clearances are too tight still. Those springs should be very weeak, the feeler gauge should slide in pretty much unimpeded.

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 06:40
From my vague memory of doing it once on Al's 125, he's speaking the truth about not being able to get to the cam.
He is, but there's no reason you would need to

BASS-TREBLE
11th September 2015, 08:16

It's a hint that maybe taking a good photo and posting it here will make it easier for us to help you out.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 09:53
It's a hint that maybe taking a good photo and posting it here will make it easier for us to help you out.

I didn't need help after I realized the rockers were held down with springs. After that, I was able to take care of the clearance no problem. Also, I'm not going to post a photo because I'd need to take the head cover off again, and like hell I'm messing around with the RTV again.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 11:58

I'm pretty sure the clearances are too tight still. Those springs should be very weeak, the feeler gauge should slide in pretty much unimpeded.

As kick said why would you need or want to

Drew
11th September 2015, 12:31
As kick said why would you need or want to

Single valve rocker arms, it's usually the easiest place to slide the gauge in.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 12:33
Single valve rocker arms, it's usually the easiest place to slide the gauge in.

but its not where the tappet clearance is measured.

Drew
11th September 2015, 12:38
but its not where the tappet clearance is measured.

It differs how?

husaberg
11th September 2015, 12:43
It differs how?

As it is not how to measure the clearance it has a two piece head to measure the clearance to the cam and follower base of the rocker would require removing the top of the head
As you remove the top of the head it becomes a pointless exercise. As the rockers are attached to the top part of the 2 piece head. The rocker clearance will be able to be measured with a gps or tape measure.

Use the proper place it has caps to placed by the factory to allow for measurement

Katman
11th September 2015, 12:51
The rocker arms on a GN125 are not spring loaded.

It must be the valve springs you've been looking at and they have nothing to do with the valve clearance.

(Unless they're broken of course - then you'd have loads of clearance).

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 15:59
The rocker arms on a GN125 are not spring loaded.

How do you know this?

No one is going to talk me out of this. Like I've already said, I saw the springs with my own eyes. I took the header cover off (the valve springs stay in the head, and these springs were definitely attached to the head cover) and they were applying a torque to the rocker arm, and therefore a force from the tappet down into the valve stem.

It's possible that I was mistaken about what I saw, but it's very unlikely, and no one is going to convince me of anything else. Maybe a picture of what I saw and an explanation of how it isn't what I thought it is, but "nope ur wrong" isn't going to convince me.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 16:44
How do you know this?

No one is going to talk me out of this. Like I've already said, I saw the springs with my own eyes. I took the header cover off (the valve springs stay in the head, and these springs were definitely attached to the head cover) and they were applying a torque to the rocker arm, and therefore a force from the tappet down into the valve stem.

It's possible that I was mistaken about what I saw, but it's very unlikely, and no one is going to convince me of anything else. Maybe a picture of what I saw and an explanation of how it isn't what I thought it is, but "nope ur wrong" isn't going to convince me.

Yet none of it is relevant when it comes to setting the tappet clearance.
As much as what 99.99% of what Katman posts is utter bullocks, one thinkg he could do is set the tappets on a GN.
Rather than wasting more of everyone's time who has tried to help you feel free to take it all to bits for no reason at all. Because you feel you know better than mechanics do

Drew
11th September 2015, 16:50
How do you know this?

The fact that he's a fucken bike mechanic would be a fairly good reason. The springs you saw locate the rocker sideways I think you'll find.

Sooooo. Nope, you're wrong.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 16:58
As for some reason I actually bothered to look at the parts Fiche

If you look at 7.,8, 9 this is the valve clearance adjustment

Drew
11th September 2015, 17:02
As for some reason I actually bothered to look at the parts Fiche

If you look at 7.,8, 9 this is the valve clearance adjustment

I really cant be fucked arguing about this, but I'd love to know why that means the clearance can't be checked between the rocker and the cam.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 18:02
I really cant be fucked arguing about this, but I'd love to know why that means the clearance can't be checked between the rocker and the cam.

The rockers are attached to the top part of the head the valves to the lower the cam is sandwiched between them
Remove the upper cover and the clearance is whatever distance the two parts are placed away from each other.
That's why Drew there is tappet adjusters on the other end of the rockers. Accessed through the inspection covers Same as a million other Honda singles of the XR/CB/XL/SL/CRF family.

Drew
11th September 2015, 18:05
The rockers are attached to the top part of the head the valves to the lower the cam is sandwiched between them
Remove the upper cover and the clearance is whatever distance the two parts are placed away from each other.
That's why Drew there is tappet adjusters on the other end of the rockers. Accessed through the inspection covers Same as a million other Honda singles of the XR/CB/XL/SL/CRF family.

I am aware now of why it can't be done on a GN. I thought you were saying it should never be done my way.

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 18:43
This is what a fucking GN125 rocker box looks like inside

The motor has been the same forever so fuck knows what springs he's talking about unless they made a major change with the chinese models

nodrog
11th September 2015, 18:56

The motor has been the same forever so fuck knows what springs he's talking about unless they made a major change with the chinese models

vaccum your floor you dirty cunt.

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 19:27
vaccum your floor you dirty cunt.
Fuck off, that's the garage

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 19:32
--- deleted ---

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 19:36
Rather than wasting more of everyone's time

I'm sorry if anyone feels that I've wasted their time, but I haven't needed any help at all since the second post in this thread. After I realised that there was a spring holding the rocker in place, the tappet adjustment was a breeze.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 19:38
Fuck off, that's the garage

See below.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 19:38

Maybe they made a major change with the chinese models? idfk. I do know that that picture is different to mine.

If that engine came of a japanese bike, it has to be nearly 20 years old. A lot can change in 20 years,

nodrog
11th September 2015, 19:43
.... I do know that that picture is different to mine.

you didn't supply a picture.

husaberg
11th September 2015, 19:50
Yes, they are. I took the rocker cover off and saw the springs with my own eyes.

At TDC on the compression stroke the cam lobes are facing down.

I didn't need help after I realized the rockers were held down with springs. After that, I was able to take care of the clearance no problem. Also, I'm not going to post a photo because I'd need to take the head cover off again, and like hell I'm messing around with the RTV again.

How do you know this?

I'm sorry if anyone feels that I've wasted their time, but I haven't needed any help at all since the second post in this thread. After I realised that there was a spring holding the rocker in place, the tappet adjustment was a breeze.

With all due respect, That fact you had to take off the rocker top proves you were doing it wrong, That's why the head has rocker inspection caps

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 19:53
A lot can change in 20 years,
Yeah, they put disc brakes and alloy wheels on them and they rust faster

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 19:55
you didn't supply a picture.

You're right, because to take a picture I'd need to take the head cover off again, which would involve taking the seat + tank off, and then fucking about with the rtv, and I really don't feel like it. If you're honestly just looking for more information, when the head cover was off I could push the rockers one way, but they would spring back. If you're not willing to take my word for it, idrgaf.

I'm fairly certain there's a problem with the cylinder compression, and if there is i'll be taking the head off this weekend. If I end up doing that, I'll take a picture of my rockers, just to get y'all to be quiet.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 19:58
With all due respect, That fact you had to take off the rocker top proves you were doing it wrong, That's why the head has rocker inspection caps

I started by taking the inspection caps off, but when I found that I couldn't feel the clearance I took the head cover off to see what was going on. That's when I found the springs. Once i knew the rockers were being held down by springs, the head cover went back on, and I was able to do the clearance no problem.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 20:00
Yeah, they put disc brakes and alloy wheels on them and they rust faster

You're exactly correct! New wheels and shitty steel, so why is it so hard to believe there are new springs attached to the rockers?

nodrog
11th September 2015, 20:02
.... idrgaf....

I Did Real Good At Fixing?

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 20:05
so why is it so hard to believe there are new springs attached to the rockers?
Because there is no reason to add additional complexity to a simple design

Grumph
11th September 2015, 20:26
I am aware now of why it can't be done on a GN. I thought you were saying it should never be done my way.

As amusing as this thread has been, if the clearance is specified at the valve, measure it at the damm valve...I'm aware that some Hondas specify clearance at the cam end of the rocker, good on them, Honda always were awkward..
The problem with measuring at the wrong end is the rocker ratio...If the ratio is say 1.5:1, .004in measured at the cam end is .006in at the valve...
Which will probably still run OK but just a tad noisy...
Conversely, If it's specified .004in at the cam - but set at the valve end...It will be too tight at the cam and probably fail quite quickly...

Generally, if it's not specified, but there are caps over the valve for adjustment, use the bloody things...

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 20:47
I Did Real Good At Fixing?

I don't really give a fuck.

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 20:48
I don't really give a fuck.

You say that like he didn't already know it

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 21:01
Because there is no reason to add additional complexity to a simple design

So what, are you calling me a liar? I wouldn't assert that it's an OEM thing, maybe it's some kind of weird aftermarket modification? In any case, *someone* (some idiot, for all i know) thought it was a good idea to stick some springs in there.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 21:02
You say that like he didn't already know it

Yeah, it seems some of the folks in this thread are really thick, so i'm just taking everything at face value.

Katman
11th September 2015, 21:15
So what, are you calling me a liar? I wouldn't assert that it's an OEM thing, maybe it's some kind of weird aftermarket modification? In any case, *someone* (some idiot, for all i know) thought it was a good idea to stick some springs in there.

It might be Suzuki's new GN125 prototype.

skippa1
11th September 2015, 21:18
Losing battle......

mossy1200
11th September 2015, 21:20
Refer original post. Is a GN125 capable of pulling past 4k revs when new?

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 21:47
Losing battle......

What do you mean a losing battle? I saw what I saw, and no fucker is going to talk me out of it. I've been up-front about that, mere words are not going to convince me I was hallucinating.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 21:48

I don't really know what that means, but this bike isn't new. It's a 2012 bike that has seemingly been mistreated. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the cylinder, no one said anything about a new bike.

Kickaha
11th September 2015, 21:49

My one isn't new but pulls past 11k, not sure what to as the rev counter stops at 11,000

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 21:54
My one isn't new but pulls past 11k, not sure what to as the rev counter stops at 11,000

That's nice, i guess? My one obviously has a problem. Also, it does rev past 4k, but it will sometimes refused to rev higher than 4k *when under load in 4th or 5th gear*

mossy1200
I don't really know what that means, but this bike isn't new. It's a 2012 bike that has seemingly been mistreated. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the cylinder, no one said anything about a new bike.

So you compression tested first and checked that you don't have blocked jets or stuck float.
Valve clearance wasn't the only thing you expected to be an issue?

skippa1
What do you mean a losing battle? I saw what I saw, and no fucker is going to talk me out of it. I've been up-front about that, mere words are not going to convince me I was hallucinating.
A pictures worth a thousand words.....

P.S.....dont let the facts get in the way of a good story......you must have the only...........yeah right

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 22:41
So you compression tested first and checked that you don't have blocked jets or stuck float.
Valve clearance wasn't the only thing you expected to be an issue?

I'm looking into getting a compression test done (Or borrowing the tool; i don't have my own), the valve clearance was just something that was easy and might just fix the problem.

I also gave the carb a good clean before I checked the valve clearance.

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 22:43
A pictures worth a thousand words.....

I don't really care what you think? Like I've said, if i happen to have the engine open again in the near future, I'll take a photo for you, but as of right now the thing is all in one piece and the GF is using it to practice for her basic skills test. I really cannot be bothered taking it apart, my time is worth more than that.

nzspokes
11th September 2015, 22:53
I really cannot be bothered taking it apart, my time is worth more than that.

But you have the time to sit on KB?

h0dgep0dge
11th September 2015, 23:13
But you have the time to sit on KB?

Sitting on my ass browsing the internet is a much better use of my time than pulling a bike to bits just so i can take a picture of the rockers for you.

nzspokes
11th September 2015, 23:25
Sitting on my ass browsing the internet is a much better use of my time than pulling a bike to bits just so i can take a picture of the rockers for you.

Less chance you will be proven wrong that way too.

skippa1
12th September 2015, 06:56
I don't really care what you think? .
I think you might. :msn-wink:

nodrog
12th September 2015, 08:57
Are you sure its not a Ducati that somebody has put Suzuki stickers on to get it on the Lams list?

Drew
12th September 2015, 09:04
Are you sure its not a Ducati that somebody has put Suzuki stickers on to get it on the Lams list?

They have a very light spring to hold the valve closed to get them to start. Desmo cam followers don't have springs, at least the head I've had apart didn't.

nodrog
12th September 2015, 09:12
They have a very light spring to hold the valve closed to get them to start. Desmo cam followers don't have springs, at least the head I've had apart didn't.

the SOHC 2 valves have a closing rocker return spring

Drew
12th September 2015, 09:20
the SOHC 2 valves have a closing rocker return spring

Who wants to ride an air cooled Ducati heap of shit? Oh...sorry.

nodrog
12th September 2015, 09:24

I like to be undercover.

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 09:39
the valve clearance was just something that was easy and might just fix the problem.

Only if you know how to insert your equipment.

Katman
12th September 2015, 10:20
Did it look something like this?

nodrog
12th September 2015, 10:58

no, his was up the otherway.

husaberg
12th September 2015, 11:03

For Drew in the picture I estimate the valve to cam clearance was about 15cm's

Katman
12th September 2015, 11:47

Well egg on your face.

The photo is actually of an image in a mirror.

Drew
12th September 2015, 11:51
Well egg on your face.

Tricky ninja.

nodrog
12th September 2015, 12:12
Well egg on your face.

fuck I'm thick.

Tricky ninja.

so its a Kawasaki now?

ducatilover
12th September 2015, 12:32
My offer still stands, happy to have a peek at it.
I own a spanner, maybe.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 13:34
My offer still stands, happy to have a peek at it.
I own a spanner, maybe.

Do you have a compression testing tool? The plan to borrow one fell through, so my next plan was to take it in to bikeworx in onekawa to get them to do it. I order a lot of parts through them, but haven't given them much busniess, I feel like I owe them.

My other plan was to buy one from SCA and then return it after I'd used it ($60 for a gauge and a check valve? no thanks.) but the girlfriend wasn't so happy with that plan.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 13:43
Less chance you will be proven wrong that way too.

Oh man, look what I found, and example of an engine with return springs on the rocker arms! (Image attached)

If you like, you can check out the original article talking about this (http://www.motoparilla.co.uk/parilla_hcam_engine_rebuild2.htm)

Note also in the picture the rocker spring. I put them on that way round to keep the cam follower train protected from any shock loading caused by uptake of the rocker clearance on valve opening. Moto Parilla left them off race engines & I've seen them fitted the other way round too.

ducatilover
12th September 2015, 13:55
Do you have a compression testing tool? The plan to borrow one fell through, so my next plan was to take it in to bikeworx in onekawa to get them to do it. I order a lot of parts through them, but haven't given them much busniess, I feel like I owe them.

My other plan was to buy one from SCA and then return it after I'd used it ($60 for a gauge and a check valve? no thanks.) but the girlfriend wasn't so happy with that plan.

Will have to check what thread it has on it, I believe it's for an NGK D series though
Have you held it wide open in 5th and the cut the ignition and had a look at teh plug

nzspokes
12th September 2015, 13:57
Oh man, look what I found, and example of an engine with return springs on the rocker arms! (Image attached)

If you like, you can check out the original article talking about this (http://www.motoparilla.co.uk/parilla_hcam_engine_rebuild2.htm)

Funny lookin GN125.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 14:01
Funny lookin GN125.

Mhm, okay. You're clearly either a troll or a moron, so I'm done arguing with you.

nzspokes
12th September 2015, 14:08
Mhm, okay. You're clearly either a troll or a moron, so I'm done arguing with you.

Im not arguing with you.

I just think you are wrong. HTH

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 14:11
Im not arguing with you.

I just think you are wrong. HTH

What evidence do you have for that?

nzspokes
12th September 2015, 14:17
What evidence do you have for that?

Post #75.:msn-wink:

nodrog
12th September 2015, 14:18

Are you a maori?

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 14:18
Post #75.:msn-wink:

That's evidence of nothing but the fact that that particular engine does not have these springs. How do you explain what I saw in my engine?

Katman
12th September 2015, 14:20

If your GN125 motor has springs like that on the rocker arms they have been fitted by a previous owner.

They are certainly not original GN125 parts.

husaberg
12th September 2015, 14:43
That's evidence of nothing but the fact that that particular engine does not have these springs. How do you explain what I saw in my engine?
Your engine is not a standard GN125 and is either a Ducati or a 1950's Parilia or possibly A GN125Unicorn
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ME1kj0rvOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 14:53
If your GN125 motor has springs like that on the rocker arms they have been fitted by a previous owner.

They are certainly not original GN125 parts.

Oh, of course! Why didn't anyone else think of that? Oh wait.

Is it an OEM part? Dunno. Should they be there? No clue. But I know with 100% certainty that they are there.

I wouldn't assert that it's an OEM thing, maybe it's some kind of weird aftermarket modification? In any case, *someone* (some idiot, for all i know) thought it was a good idea to stick some springs in there.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 14:54
Your engine is not a standard GN125 and is either a Ducati or a 1950's Parilia or possibly A GN125Unicorn

Did I ever say it was a standard gn125? No, I didn't.

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 14:56
Did I ever say it was a standard gn125? No, I didn't.

So its been forked with. No wonder it doesn't rev in high gears. Stop filling it with diesel could help.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 15:10
So its been forked with. No wonder it doesn't rev in high gears. Stop filling it with diesel could help.

Oh, so you're saying, someone broke it, so now there's something wrong with it? Now there's an interesting theory.

haydes55
12th September 2015, 15:11
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/b324afe566c39c49ada92bfaa7fd648a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/8a748afce23b0ed6cca6a0d037c2eec1.jpg
Or a ducati sticker on a hyosung?

(Night photos are not a specialty for a $129 phone)

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 15:14
Oh, so you're saying, someone broke it, so now there's something wrong with it? Now there's an interesting theory.

My bikes run fine thanks.
Your bike needs more work less words.

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 15:16
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/b324afe566c39c49ada92bfaa7fd648a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/8a748afce23b0ed6cca6a0d037c2eec1.jpg
Or a ducati sticker on a hyosung?

(Night photos are not a specialty for a $129 phone)

I have an Agusta sticker on my CPI. Does 10k rpm in all 1 gears.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 15:16
Funny lookin GN125.

So I had a go at taking a picture through the valve inspection cap, to avoid taking the cover off again. It's a bit blurry, but you can clearly see some strange coils, that's the spring. Hopefully this will at least prove I do indeed have a gn125

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 17:45
Your bike needs more work less words.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately a thread that should have ended after the second post has expanded to a 7 page debate on whether or not my rockers have return springs. Colour me confused.

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 17:55
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately a thread that should have ended after the second post has expanded to a 7 page debate on whether or not my rockers have return springs. Colour me confused.

Your lucky a gn125 thread lasted this long. Could be a KB record.

husaberg
12th September 2015, 18:55
Your lucky a gn125 thread lasted this long. Could be a KB record.

Pretty Sure Kickaha would have one longer and considerably more boring.

Grumph
12th September 2015, 19:55
So I had a go at taking a picture through the valve inspection cap, to avoid taking the cover off again. It's a bit blurry, but you can clearly see some strange coils, that's the spring. Hopefully this will at least prove I do indeed have a gn125

Looks like the later models have a spring there for sideways location of the rocker. No idea why, the earlier setup works fine...
It will not be a return spring for the rocker, just sideways location.

Since i got involved, no boring...just a barrel off something, well, a LOT bigger.....

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 20:08
It will not be a return spring for the rocker, just sideways location.

Do you think I give the remotest semblance of a shit what it's there for? The point is there was shit in there that I didn't expect, and it made the engine behave in a way I didn't expect (i.e making the rocker harder to move to feel the clearance), and that's why I made the thread. At least someone is finally actually believing me that something is in there.

Ocean1
12th September 2015, 20:13
Do you think I give the remotest semblance of a shit what it's there for? The point is there was shit in there that I didn't expect, and it made the engine behave in a way I didn't expect (i.e making the rocker harder to move to feel the clearance), and that's why I made the thread. At least someone is finally actually believing me that something is in there.

There's a helava lot of rockers with springs between them exactly like that. Never seen one that loads the rocker against the valve stem though, nor have I adjusted any clearances where the spring made any difference in how the gauge felt or how the job's done.

Having said that, I've never adjusted valves on a GN125.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 20:43
There's a helava lot of rockers with springs between them exactly like that. Never seen one that loads the rocker against the valve stem though, nor have I adjusted any clearances where the spring made any difference in how the gauge felt or how the job's done.

Mine are like this, have you ever seen them like this?

husaberg
12th September 2015, 20:46

I wouldn't trust Grumph if i was you last year i was especially nice for the whole f-ing year and come christmas all i got was a f-ing peice of coal.

mossy1200
12th September 2015, 20:49

That's on the wrong side to load the arm on the valve stem. That's keeping the rocker loaded on the push rod.

Kickaha
12th September 2015, 20:56
Fuck you
I would if it was Bevel

What a fucking conincidence it's exactly the same as the one I put it

At least my Bucket goes

Ocean1
12th September 2015, 21:07

Only on lawn mowers.

And Honda Dreams.

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 21:26
That's on the wrong side to load the arm on the valve stem. That's keeping the rocker loaded on the push rod.

Yes, true, but that spring can go on either way around. The article that included that picture originally mentions the fact that the spring goes on both ways, and is left off on some models.

sidecar bob
12th September 2015, 21:46
W.t.f, I could have done an entire top end overhaul on a GN125 in the time it took to read this load of shit.

Kickaha
12th September 2015, 21:59
W.t.f, I could have done an entire top end overhaul on a GN125 in the time it took to read this load of shit.

Slowcoach, I would have been able to rebuild the entire motor

h0dgep0dge
12th September 2015, 22:17

I completely agree, entirely too long. As far as I'm concerned, no one needed to say anything after the second post, yet here we are.

husaberg
12th September 2015, 22:27
At least my Bucket goes

While that might be true it wouldn't be an ugly peanut tanked tassled sissy barred GN. I think I deserved a fuck you i'm pretty disappointed I didn't get one, Drew hasn't even called me a cunt for a month either.

You would have bloody needed too rebuild it.

mossy1200
13th September 2015, 00:07

I could have earned enough monies to pay someone to do it for me and had beers money left over.
Still with that in mind I would have done a compression test by now and rechecked the apparently cleaned carbs looking for more revs in top 2 gears.
Or

I would buy a better bike with that said earned cash.

Kickaha
13th September 2015, 07:15
I would buy a better bike with that said earned cash.

Heresy

There is no better bike

nodrog
13th September 2015, 08:25
I completely agree, entirely too long. As far as I'm concerned, no one needed to say anything after the second post, yet here we are.

But you Haven't fixed it yet.

ducatilover
13th September 2015, 21:47
I already said they were there for sideways location, so do I get a prize?
Or have I just touched too many GNs?

Laava
13th September 2015, 22:20
This is an epic thread! Thank fuck the JAWman hasn't found it yet!
And I for one was looking forward to seeing the photos of the hairpin springs like my old Darmah used to have!

husaberg
13th September 2015, 22:24
This is an epic thread! Thank fuck the JAWman hasn't found it yet!
And I for one was looking forward to seeing the photos of the hairpin springs like my old Darmah used to have!

Do you not have an old clothes peg.
They had them to i'm going to start a thread about them tomorrow watch this <marquee behavior="alternate">space.</marquee>

h0dgep0dge
19th October 2015, 20:58
No they aren't

And doth, the prodigal son hath returned! With photographic evidence. Finally got the head cover off for the first time since this thread started.

husaberg
19th October 2015, 21:01
And doth, the prodigal son hath returned! With photographic evidence. Finally got the head cover off for the first time since this thread started.

biff those fuckers and shim or bush as needed. Plus well I never.

Grumph
20th October 2015, 05:09
biff those fuckers and shim or bush as needed. Plus well I never.

Correct - see other thread for my comments. Some fucker who thinks he's clever has put those there.

nodrog
20th October 2015, 06:47
Correct - see other thread for my comments. Some fucker who thinks he's clever has put those there.

aren't they on backwards?

Paul in NZ
20th October 2015, 06:56
aren't they on backwards?

That or they could actually be sgnirps...

Mike.Gayner
20th October 2015, 07:03
Well OP made an asshole of everyone in here, didn't he?

Grumph
20th October 2015, 07:14
Well OP made an asshole of everyone in here, didn't he?

No - some dumb previous owner did that to himself. If the OP had provided an assessment of the PO's IQ - single digits - we'd have been onto it quicker.

Those things - GN's - have top end lube problems if neglected so adding any type of spring load into the valve train is simply stupid. If the springs had been the conventional way round - loading the cam end - it would have worn the cam out. As is, I'd reckon they're strong enough to at least assist valve bounce.

And if by some miracle they are OE - which i doubt - Suzuki have made worse mistakes, but not many....