PDA

View Full Version : My siberian husky

anmolt
24th September 2005, 12:30
I have a 2 year old siberain husky.....as people with huskies know they are quite hard to train and im experiencing the same...whenever i take him to waikowhai,auckland he either ends up venturing into the water and gets all dirty or runs away and i have to run after him to get him back...is there any way or anyone that can advise me what to do??? the upside is its a good cardio workout but him not listening when called is dangerous sometimes......

the other problem is him being a very choosy eater thanks to my dad who woould rather see him eat than not...he refuses to eat the dog biscuits compeletly and would rather starve than eat it...any recipes or any other food options??hes currently being fed with canned food and boiled chicken pieces but hes fussy about that too.......
thanks in advance to anyone who can help....

NotaGoth
24th September 2005, 12:52
firstly the dog could possibly be hot, which may be why its venturing into the water and what not. I don't own one myself but I remember how my grandads dog behaved, and he used to climb through the fence and sit in the neighbours water trough. Idea might be that if you have a backyard invest in an old bathtub that you can fill with water, he'll be wet but clean ;) theres nothing wrong with a dog that wants to play in water, its natural! the only problem i see is the no ears bit, our dogs pretty much the same. all I can say is that when the dog actually does what its been told, make a BIG fuss. Makes them feel special and they know for sure they have done well. Investing in an electric dog collars also an option, mean, but I hear it works wonders.

If you know anyone who goes fishing, some dogs LOVE fish. Also milk, doesn't have to be fresh or whatever, just let the dog have the option of drinking its water, or its milk once in a while. Or go see your local butcher, see if they have any scrap meat that you could get for your dog. Just make sure you give your dog options, you have to remember that they get bored with their food just like we do! If it still ends up being picky, try feeding it, if it won't eat its food, take it away and try again later. Keep doing this, it sounds cruel but its gotta eat sometime and you can't have it running rings round you.

I don't know if any of this helps but goodluck anyway.

*theresa*

texmo
24th September 2005, 12:52
My dog has a problem with his thyroid slows his matoblism so we cant feed him canned food, we feed him gravy beef which works out to be cheeper than canned food and is better for your dog, My brother friend who is a vet in training just did dog nutrition and was told feed your dog raw meat as much as possible, so dog biscuts for breakfeat and gravy beef for dinner. it will make him happer his coat more shiny and will make his breath smell better along with whitening his teeth.
We also have a friend who is in the same trouble as you with dog not obeying her ect.. ect.. so after months of dog traning schools ect to no avail they brought a water proof shock thing that goes around the dogs neck I shocked my self with it to see how powerfull it is and its nothing too bad like I did it about four times, I think its just about giving the dog a fright. It worked wonders and after making the dog wear it when they werent at home after 2weeks they had a dog that did everything they said, it has a long as range about 800meters. Now 6months later they never use it and their dog is really well trained and come ect when they tell it to.
Hope this helps.

sAsLEX
24th September 2005, 16:14
My brother friend who is a vet in training just did dog nutrition and was told feed your dog raw meat as much as possible, .

My ex who is a vet nurse said to never feed a dog raw meat! the cats would eat it but she wouldnt let the dog have any/

Might pay to look that one up

texmo
24th September 2005, 16:23
I just got off the phone to my aunt and unc, who are both vets they said raw meat is the go.

scumdog
24th September 2005, 21:14
I just got off the phone to my aunt and unc, who are both vets they said raw meat is the go.
I put my money on that!

Dogs are ex-wild animals, hungry enough they'll eat anything, (especially Labradors.)
Don't put up with fussyness etc, YOU are the Alpha dog, YOU rule.
YOU decide what it eats/does.

You have to dominate it to get anywhere - if you let the dog rule? huh, you'll never get anywhere.

dveus
24th September 2005, 21:33
Quite simply with Huskies the best thing to stop it running off is to keep it on a leash. There a breed that has been bred to run and that is exactly what they love to do.

jimbo600
24th September 2005, 21:42
I have a 2 year old siberain husky.....as people with huskies know they are quite hard to train and im experiencing the same...whenever i take him to waikowhai,auckland he either ends up venturing into the water and gets all dirty or runs away and i have to run after him to get him back...is there any way or anyone that can advise me what to do??? the upside is its a good cardio workout but him not listening when called is dangerous sometimes......

the other problem is him being a very choosy eater thanks to my dad who woould rather see him eat than not...he refuses to eat the dog biscuits compeletly and would rather starve than eat it...any recipes or any other food options??hes currently being fed with canned food and boiled chicken pieces but hes fussy about that too.......

Mate I've got two siberian huskies and you can forget training them. Tie them to a mountainbike or go cart and let run their rings off. They live for running and pulling stuff. Build a big fence around your property as they jump/climb/dig around anything that keeps them in a yard. As for feeding them if they don't eat their food biff it out. Huskies only eat when they're hungry. Eventually they'll eat what you give them. My partner used breed huskies so if you want some bully PM me you address and she'll mail you some do's and don'ts

Ixion
24th September 2005, 23:48

Fussy little bugger isn't he. Rule at Ixion Hall is you eat what's put in front of you, or go hungry. Works for all things in my experience, dogs, cats, Ixions (just wish Mrs Ixion didn't put brussell sprouts and broccoli in front of me quite so often - ah well it's good for me, as she tells me ) . Give him what you decide, if he doesn't eat it , let him go without. After a bit he'll decide that starvation isn't such a good cop, and you're the boss. Gotta show a dog that you're the boss , don't take any crap from them.

anmolt
25th September 2005, 00:11
Fussy little bugger isn't he. Rule at Ixion Hall is you eat what's put in front of you, or go hungry. Works for all things in my experience, dogs, cats, Ixions (just wish Mrs Ixion didn't put brussell sprouts and broccoli in front of me quite so often - ah well it's good for me, as she tells me ) . Give him what you decide, if he doesn't eat it , let him go without. After a bit he'll decide that starvation isn't such a good cop, and you're the boss. Gotta show a dog that you're the boss , don't take any crap from them.

tried that option but dad gets a bit uneasy when he goes without food and trooubles everyone by jumping and pullign at their legs to feed him.Throwing him out is a bad option cuz he starts destroyin the fauna to prove a point....ddint occur to me but wll try tying him up so he doesnt cause any trouble.....

anmolt
25th September 2005, 00:13
heres a pic for you people.......

Suney
25th September 2005, 01:32
huskies and alaskan malamutes are so cool
i want one of those dogs when i own my house
but i thought they had to survive in a cold climate (IE not auckland)?

ajturbo
25th September 2005, 01:36
ok... huskies..

first up make sure you starve them at least once a week!
2nd , they will NOT come to you when they are called.
3rd. you will need to run them as in sled dog racing like i do with my sams, pm me and i wil give out the addy of a friend up your way to help you.
4th. the vet that told you that they don't eat raw food , should be hung.. ask yourself, what did they eat 50 years ago? pal? yer right!
i feed my dogs RAW CHICKEN, RAW LAMB, RAW BEEF. and that is all!!! (A PART FROM raw bones) and i race them (sled dog racing)......

ask yourself...

why the fuck did you get huskies????..

these dogs are not pets, they are a working dog!!!!!!!!!
they need working
their breed are DESIGNED for running HUNDREDS of miles at a time.. ARE YOU WILLING TO DO THAT??????

i was over in the states with a team of dogs (10) i was asked to help out to train them, we went for 10 miles out and 10 back. the dogs were not even puffing when i got in.......... do i need to go on????( i can if you want)

what i want to say is.. the breeder did not give you enough info BEFORE you got the dogs if you are asking these questions...
they are NOT show dogs, they are running dogs, if you do not have acess to HEAPS of acers to let them run in ...you are fooling yourself into beliving that they are YOUR pet...hahahahah

they are the boss..

you feed them dog roll...:Oi: you want to kill :mega: them ???? feed them dog roll!

you want to look after them???? get the book
"give a dog a bone"

also in the wild, they would only eat 2-4 times a week... THINK ABOUT IT!!!

ajturbo
25th September 2005, 01:40
huskies and alaskan malamutes are so cool
i want one of those dogs when i own my house
but i thought they had to survive in a cold climate (IE not auckland)?

it takes 16 weeks for a dog to get used to the climate

i was in mexico a couple of years ago ... i found sams happly running around.....
mals are NOT pets
huskies are NOT pets.....

pm me if you want more info!!!
aj

ajturbo
25th September 2005, 01:48
tried that option but dad gets a bit uneasy when he goes without food and trooubles everyone by jumping and pullign at their legs to feed him.Throwing him out is a bad option cuz he starts destroyin the fauna to prove a point....ddint occur to me but wll try tying him up so he doesnt cause any trouble.....

do NOT tye him up... (sorry speeling is off tonight!!)

:Oi: he is bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't feed him dog biscuts.... food colouring...

go to bombay pet foods and get chicken necks (WITH THE SKIN ON!)
some bones
fatty mince
some bones

Fart
25th September 2005, 07:00
My dog has no problems and eats everything and anything. Abit of a worry.

anmolt
25th September 2005, 14:43
you feed them dog roll...:Oi: you want to kill :mega: them ???? feed them dog roll!

na...dont give that anymore cuz he refuses to eat it...only reason i was avoiding raw meat till now was cuz boiling kills the bacteria...dunno i may be wrong with this...also just give him boneless boiled meat cuz the boiled bones may splinter.......
news will take ur advice.....
reason i didnt get him into sledding till now was basically cuz i was asked to wait till he was 15 months old or more.....am i correct on this????
been to a sled racing event months back....can u PM me when they have a few more...ill try an dget in touch with the others at the convention...
thanks...
PS: whereabouts is bombay pet foods??

NotaGoth
25th September 2005, 15:20
[QUOTE=anmolt]

na...dont give that anymore cuz he refuses to eat it...only reason i was avoiding raw meat till now was cuz boiling kills the bacteria...QUOTE]

A dog eats raw meat in the wild.. there ain't no one who cooks their food up for them... simple as that :p

If all else fails and you get real sick of the dog, send it to me :Pokey: lol could do with another dog!

marty
25th September 2005, 16:18
PS: whereabouts is bombay pet foods??

umm - Bombay maybe? you can see the factory on the left as you travel north towards the top of the bombays.

forget the petfood though - strike up a relationship with your local butcher.

mangell6
25th September 2005, 16:40
A husky is NOT a DOG, it is a husky. The breeder that you got it off should have given you some instructions on how to look after your husky. ALL responsible husky and mal owners know that if you have your dog (husky or mal) off a lead it will do what it wants to do!! This includes killing sheep, small furry animals and other dogs.They can be trained, a husky holds the New Zealand record for the most points for obedience. Contact the local Siberian Husky club in Auckland, and contact Jimbo. We do have a Sibe, Shadow, she is 4 yrs old, is not a _pet_ but a member of the family (hint hint) and is not the boss, as we don't let her. Now that should upset the normal dog owners.

anmolt
25th September 2005, 17:01
A husky is NOT a DOG, it is a husky. The breeder that you got it off should have given you some instructions on how to look after your husky. ALL responsible husky and mal owners know that if you have your dog (husky or mal) off a lead it will do what it wants to do!! This includes killing sheep, small furry animals and other dogs.They can be trained, a husky holds the New Zealand record for the most points for obedience. Contact the local Siberian Husky club in Auckland, and contact Jimbo. We do have a Sibe, Shadow, she is 4 yrs old, is not a _pet_ but a member of the family (hint hint) and is not the boss, as we don't let her. Now that should upset the normal dog owners.

I know about the obedient husky and so think they can be trained to come back.......only its a bit harder...he is definitely a member of the family and hes happier inside the house and asks to be let outside the house whenever he wants to.....huskies are very independent and very smart animals...no reason y they shudnt learn to obey to commands...just that them being smart and waiting to boss over their masters.....the breeder did tell em about the traits and im happy with my dog...no problems with him apart from the recall and him trying to boss over others......hes let loose in the parks and runs like crazy.......jus that living in auckland its a bit difficult and more a necessaity to have an obedient dog..........point to note is using public parks if a husy comes charging at you, although playfully, its a bit scary for people that dont know their friendliness in meetin people..........this guy with a german shepherd compared him to a pit bull cuz of his silence when he approached and darted towards his dog......?????

anmolt
25th September 2005, 17:07
A dog eats raw meat in the wild.. there ain't no one who cooks their food up for them... simple as that :p

If all else fails and you get real sick of the dog, send it to me :Pokey: lol could do with another dog![/QUOTE]

thanks for the offer but will never get sick of him and his antics.....

'in the wild' dogs adapt to their surroundings and therefore can eat raw meat...same with us humans...if we end up going to underdevloped countries there is a high probability of falling sick and takes time to get used to the place........
in any case...will try the raw food and see how it goes...havent really asked any vet about this so cant really comment.....

mangell6
25th September 2005, 17:13
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would humbly suggest that you invest in a long lead as the mask scares a lot of people, "its a wolf", and a dog not on a lead is not "under control" and the anti-dog people would just love it for you to loose such a "vicious" dog.

A Mal owner told me once that "Malumuts may not start a fight, but they finish them."

texmo
25th September 2005, 17:16
Now that should upset the normal dog owners.
What will upset "normal dog owners"?

DrHook
25th September 2005, 17:30
Totally agree about feeding RAW meaty bones. Go read "Give Your Dog A Bone" by Ian Billinghurst as suggested. It does make a huge difference health wise. Processed pet food isn't the best thing. A bit like us eating canned food everyday.

Don't worry about the bacteria, dogs have a totally different and shorter digestive system to us humans.

Oh and please only give RAW bones. A lot safer than cooked bones which are brittle and may splinter.

I had 2 dobermanns switch from commercial processed food to BARF (Bones and Raw Food) and the difference it made is unbelieveable.

And while you're investigating about obedience, do look into clicker training.

Woof!

texmo
25th September 2005, 17:41
Dobermans now we are talking probly the best breed of dog ever.

anmolt
25th September 2005, 17:48
Totally agree about feeding RAW meaty bones. Go read "Give Your Dog A Bone" by Ian Billinghurst as suggested. It does make a huge difference health wise. Processed pet food isn't the best thing. A bit like us eating canned food everyday.

Don't worry about the bacteria, dogs have a totally different and shorter digestive system to us humans.

Oh and please only give RAW bones. A lot safer than cooked bones which are brittle and may splinter.

I had 2 dobermanns switch from commercial processed food to BARF (Bones and Raw Food) and the difference it made is unbelieveable.

And while you're investigating about obedience, do look into clicker training.

Woof!

health wise hes perfect ...just wanted to make sure that his petite isnt a problem or else it nees to be looked into....but il try and get hold of the book... i read about the clicker training on a site not sure about it that much but was wondering whether blowing an air horn might make a difference an dcatch their attention......

NotaGoth
25th September 2005, 17:49
is not a _pet_ but a member of the family (hint hint) and is not the boss, as we don't let her. Now that should upset the normal dog owners.

people tend to forget that dogs live in packs out in the wild. treat them like its YOUR pack, you are the boss. any "normal" dog owner should understand what i'm talking about.