PDA

View Full Version : 2015 BMW S1000rr rrr rrrr rrrrr

neil_cb125t
23rd September 2015, 19:32
Cant say I have talked about new machines on here before.

I spent last Monday and Tuesday Coaching at Phillip island for California Superbike School (dont be hating) and the Aussie branch has just updated their machines from the 14 to the 15 S1000r. Note the coach bikes are stock, stock mufflers, just crash protection and race fairings added. Running Dunlop A13 "road" rubber.

The changes I was told was mainly in the electronics with a few minor changes aka the electron controlled suspenders.

The dash is quite different, also your switch blocks are now fully packed with lap timer and traction controlling do dickies. The dash now has a lean angle indicator and stores your MAX lean on each side until you turn the key off.

Jumping on the bike it felt the same as the 14 model no big surprises erg wise. You let the clutch out as you leave the pits.....and then you NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN......how, oh yeah its got a quick shifter for your up shifts and a shifter/blipper for the down shifts. Yep you tap the shifter and the engine blips and it changes down instantly - if you barreling into honda/T4 at 230kph in 5th then you just hit the brakes as hard as you can and hit the shifter to change down 3 times and the wizardry, blibs, changes it down, slips the clutch so your good to just tip it in to your now recorded MAX LEAN Angle. how cool is that!

The shifter is also changeable from std shift to race shift from std, so it doesnt matter how you like it.....now thats free.

The electron suspenders work faultlessly - PI has super fast and super slow corners, it felt think each corner as easy as the rest.

The big improvement from my end was the wheelie and traction control, the 14 model was rather crude when it came to the front end lifting. the 15 model now lets the front get to about 2-4 inches off the deck and then leaves it there as you change up and keep it nailed. Very nice. The traction control seems fair less intrusive, the older bike would cut in and out as you drove hard out of the corner, which meant there was alot of sideways movement. The 15 model is far softer - much like the ZX10, its light is flashing on the dash but you just get good hard drive off the turn.

Some of the BMW at the track had newer light weight rims, mine was fitted with older ones - so the lighter ones would only increase performance.

Lastly all the coaches believed the newer model was faster than the older one, if that was possible.

Oh and 55 degrees was my max lean angle, not bad on road rubber I thought.

SVboy
24th September 2015, 12:45
Very nice!

EJK
24th September 2015, 13:02
Awesome! Makes me jealouse now!

Ender EnZed
24th September 2015, 20:20
The dash now has a lean angle indicator and stores your MAX lean on each side until you turn the key off.

That's bound to end well for all the weekend warriors if this becomes a thing everyone's bike has. Still cool though.

boman
24th September 2015, 21:54
I have one. And they are a hell of a bike to ride. Both dawdling and spirited riding are a blast.

1st service tomorrow, and they remove the 8000rpm limiter to really unleash the bike. A very easy bike to ride.

neil_cb125t
27th September 2015, 08:36
I have one. And they are a hell of a bike to ride. Both dawdling and spirited riding are a blast.

1st service tomorrow, and they remove the 8000rpm limiter to really unleash the bike. A very easy bike to ride.

Whoa, your in for a treat......8+ is where its at!
Since CSS Au went to the S1000r for rental bikes the rental rates has jumped through the roof. They really are a great all rounder and impressive machine as you push them

carbonhed
29th September 2015, 09:10
Whoa, your in for a treat......8+ is where its at!
Since CSS Au went to the S1000r for rental bikes the rental rates has jumped through the roof. They really are a great all rounder and impressive machine as you push them

This is the S1000r? The nekkid one? Sounds awesome.

boman
1st October 2015, 19:22
This is the S1000r? The nekkid one? Sounds awesome.

He is talking about the S1000RR. The slightly sportier one..

carbonhed
2nd October 2015, 21:02
He is talking about the S1000RR. The slightly sportier one..

Thanks man. I've ridden an RR and they are brilliant but I fancy the R and apparently they're now coming with all the fruit too. An auto blipper! How fucking cool is that? Maximum brakes and blam blam blam. Would make you want to ride around in sixth just so you could haul up to the lights in flames :cool:

boman
3rd October 2015, 17:37
This is mine, loving every minute of it.

carbonhed
4th October 2015, 11:53
This is mine, loving every minute of it.

Cool. I rode a mates a couple of years ago and I thought it felt like riding a 600 with Gods own engine installed. Can only imagine what it's like now.

boman
4th October 2015, 12:49
Cool. I rode a mates a couple of years ago and I thought it felt like riding a 600 with Gods own engine installed. Can only imagine what it's like now.

I thought it was a wonderful bike before the first service. But after they serviced it, they remove the 8000RPM, restrictor off it. It is a weapon now. Very very easy to ride.

carbonhed
5th October 2015, 15:20
It is a weapon now. Very very easy to ride.

Very, very easy to lose your license entirely for 28 days and have the bike impounded :laugh:

boman
5th October 2015, 15:27
Very, very easy to lose your license entirely for 28 days and have the bike impounded :laugh:

It can do that in first gear. Without breaking a sweat....

bmws1r
5th October 2015, 17:33
It can do that in first gear. Without breaking a sweat....

The s1000r has more mid range, and is the perfect road bike, on the track though the s1000rr takes over:2thumbsup

EJK
6th October 2015, 07:20
Although mines a first gen RR I'm loving the bike. Weather looks bonkers today so will go for a ride after work :sunny: