PDA

View Full Version : Would you cross a union picket line?

Oakie
20th October 2015, 18:55
Let me say at the start that I used to be a union member when I started work (because it was compulsary probably). I have been a branch president and then a Secretary for a short time before leaving that employer. Since then I have not been a union member although was part of a 'Staff Committee' for a while as we negotiated some stuff in an employer (in a cooperative and productive manner it must be said).

About that time (20 years ago) I became annoyed with unions because of blatant lying I saw over 2 negotiation cycles. First time around they refused to negotiate with the employer alongside our staff committee. Their right I guess so we negotiated separately and our little employee group achieved a lot more than the Union. Next time around at a pre negotiation meeting the union invited us to, their negotiator speechified about how management had refused to negotiate with both parties together last time and that we must "go forward together". Utter bullshit of course. So we sat in the same room and did our thing but the stuff that union reported back to their members would have made you think they were in a different meeting.

Fast forward to about 2004 and a union was picketing my new employer. Basically our 500 odd staff were on $16 to $19 and hour with 3 'special' staff on about $10.50 for some reason. Signs carried by picketers said that we pay all our staff $10.50 and the dishonesty of that really made me angry.

So I'll get to the point. Bunnings workers picketing. They did it here at my local in Christchurch and made their point without impeding anyone so I tolerated it when I went to get some stuff. They did it in Auckland and made some human barricade and stopped people going into do their shopping and my blood boiled at that. I'm a mild mannered guy but if anyone put their hands on me to stop me going about my legal business in that manner I really think I'd use the small amount of Aikido we were taught at work and probably break or dislocate whatever body part they touch me with.

So what say you good KBers. Do you respect someone else's picket line regardless or would you try to cross to go about your business ... and what do you do if you are impeded?

J.A.W.
20th October 2015, 19:05
Let me say at the start that I used to be a union member when I started work (because it was compulsary probably). I have been a branch president and then a Secretary for a short time before leaving that employer. Since then I have not been a union member although was part of a 'Staff Committee' for a while as we negotiated some stuff in an employer (in a cooperative and productive manner it must be said).

About that time (20 years ago) I became annoyed with unions because of blatant lying I saw over 2 negotiation cycles. First time around they refused to negotiate with the employer alongside our staff committee. Their right I guess so we negotiated separately and our little employee group achieved a lot more than the Union. Next time around at a pre negotiation meeting the union invited us to, their negotiator speechified about how management had refused to negotiate with both parties together last time and that we must "go forward together". Utter bullshit of course. So we sat in the same room and did our thing but the stuff that union reported back to their members would have made you think they were in a different meeting.

Fast forward to about 2004 and a union was picketing my new employer. Basically our 500 odd staff were on $16 to $19 and hour with 3 'special' staff on about $10.50 for some reason. Signs carried by picketers said that we pay all our staff $10.50 and the dishonesty of that really made me angry.

So I'll get to the point. Bunnings workers picketing. They did it here at my local in Christchurchand and made their point without impeding anyone so I tolerated it when I went to get some stuff. They did it in Auckland and made some human barricade and stopped people going into do their shopping and my blood boiled at that. I'm a mild mannered guy but if anyone put their hands on me to stop me going about my legal business in that manner I really think I'd use the small amount of Aikido we were taught at work and probably break or dislocate whatever body part they touch me with.

So what say you good KBers. Do you respect someone else's picket line regardless or would you try to cross to go about yout business ... and what do you do if you are impeded?

Aikido exponent eh? Ohh.. AFAIR, from doing that MA back in the day - as a form of Rugby skills training - you aint s'posed to play fast & loose with them skills..

Tell ya what though, if it was me in the picket line you tried it on with, I'd make sure it was up on youtube, before we called the ambos for ya.. L.O.L....

Oakie
20th October 2015, 19:15
Aikido exponent eh? .

Exponent? No. Just know a few basic moves to divert someone who comes at me.

bogan
20th October 2015, 19:15
It would depend entirely on if I thought their cause was justified...

In this case, it's not so much.

Mike.Gayner
20th October 2015, 19:17
Tell ya what though, if it was me in the picket line you tried it on with, I'd make sure it was up on youtube, before we called the ambos for ya.. L.O.L....

LOL everyone look at this guy. Just look.

J.A.W.
20th October 2015, 19:24

I s'pose that'll be what you - shriek out non-stop during the gay parade, is it then, eh.. Mikey-boy?

bogan
20th October 2015, 19:27

I don't think a picket point has quite the same ring to it, or effect, though.

J.A.W.
20th October 2015, 19:33
I don't think a picket point has quite the same ring to it, or effect, though.

Well ol' Clunk-O-Bot might clear a path.. but I doubt if its built to a sufficient quality to generate a ring to it - when it topples into a ruck..

willytheekid
20th October 2015, 19:34
:jerry:...dont mind me

:corn:

Woodman
20th October 2015, 19:37
Depends if I supported their cause or not, and fuck off jaw.

Akzle
20th October 2015, 19:38
fucken scab

caspernz
20th October 2015, 19:45
No I won't cross a picket line. Have worked in both unionised and non-unionised firms on three continents. Now I won't ever claim that unions are perfect, but having been exposed to the sneaky tactics employed by big corporates to de-unionise a workplace...I'll keep my union card thanks. Especially when working in a sizeable outfit where the boss doesn't know my name :innocent:

J.A.W.
20th October 2015, 19:46
Depends if I supported their cause or not, and fuck off jaw.

Classic fantasy BS from Woodduck..

Somehow, I think I'd quite enjoy the opportunity to help him - to make his decision, (& try & make me F-O).. L.O.L...

Motu
20th October 2015, 19:47
If I saw a picket line at Bunnings I'd go to Mitre 10, they are always withing range of each other in location and price.

Madness
20th October 2015, 19:51
What they showed of the Auckland protest on the box it looked more like rent-a-crowd than actual affected workers. Passing a picket line to buy some weedkiller or polyfilla is a bit different to passing a picket line to take the job of the people taking action. Fuck 'em.

Virago
20th October 2015, 19:55
fucken scab

In my experience fucken scabs are better than fucken leeches.

Flip
20th October 2015, 19:58
No I would not.

Madness
20th October 2015, 20:03
No I would not.

What if they looked like boy racers?

oldrider
20th October 2015, 20:03
Yes - just for the hell of it! :corn: Of course I would pump up the tyres on my zimmer first! :rofl:

scumdog
20th October 2015, 20:04

Uh no thanks!

There's a picture of an elephants festering arse-hole I'd rather look at...

J.A.W.
20th October 2015, 20:20
Uh no thanks!

There's a picture of an elephants festering arse-hole I'd rather look at...

Favourite selfie, eh?

Well, s'pose thats 1/2 sensible, after breaking all those mirrors - you'd pointed your ugly mug at.. L.O.L...

Flip
20th October 2015, 20:21
What if they looked like boy racers?

That would be entirely different.

TheDemonLord
20th October 2015, 20:46
Someone trying to stop me from doing something I want to and am legally entitled to do.....

Fuck 'em.

If there is a rational point to be made, let it be made without the strong arm tactics. If you're unhappy with it, don't work in the retail sector where workers get treated like shite.

R650R
20th October 2015, 21:05
No I won't cross a picket line. Have worked in both unionised and non-unionised firms on three continents. Now I won't ever claim that unions are perfect, but having been exposed to the sneaky tactics employed by big corporates to de-unionise a workplace...I'll keep my union card thanks. Especially when working in a sizeable outfit where the boss doesn't know my name :innocent:

100% agree.

I now work in a place with a Union, surprise surprise I get paid well (just got another payrise), get all the gear I need for the job and get treated with respect by the bosses.
There are good lines of communication and nothing seems to be an issue. Funny thing is just up the road there is a competitor business of sort that works alongside in conjunction. They have crap gear, get paid a lot less and have to buy there own workwear and boots etc by the looks of it.
I grew up in a Freezing Works family so have seen the full spectrum and had good mix of union and non union jobs.... Its the only thing between having a first/second world lifestyle as opposed to living like Mexicans or Chinese.
Funny thing is the anti union people actually benefit from those in the union helping bolster wages across various industries.

BTW your fancy Aikido wristlocks and stuff are fine one on one but you need a better Sensai if you think confronting an angry mob is a good idea no matter how good you are.

Jin
20th October 2015, 21:23
Aikido exponent eh? Ohh.. AFAIR, from doing that MA back in the day - as a form of Rugby skills training - you aint s'posed to play fast & loose with them skills..

KB already has a friendly troll akzke ya know. Don't think another is necessary.

neels
20th October 2015, 21:26
Possibly, depending on who/what/where

Unions are certainly not the be all and end all, but if the alternative is not having them to keep the arsehole employers in line then it's the lesser of two evils.

skippa1
20th October 2015, 21:50

Cant this fuckcicle be banned or sumfing?

Oakie
20th October 2015, 21:51
What they showed of the Auckland protest on the box it looked more like rent-a-crowd than actual affected workers. Bit like that down here too. Lots of Union types in their SFWU / EPMU t-shirts and waving their flags and it seemed about a similar number wearing their Bunnings shirts

Passing a picket line to buy some weedkiller or polyfilla is a bit different to passing a picket line to take the job of the people taking action. Fuck 'em. Important distinction there thanks.

BTW your fancy Aikido wristlocks and stuff are fine one on one but you need a better Sensai if you think confronting an angry mob is a good idea no matter how good you are.

God. Wouldn't even guarantee I could take down one person who handled me ... but I would feel damned good for having tried.

Oakie
20th October 2015, 21:52

We could picket him!

TheDemonLord
20th October 2015, 21:56

Sensai Browning disagrees.....

Woodman
20th October 2015, 22:17

No, the mods are pussies.

Berries
20th October 2015, 22:17
What are they protesting about, that they have a minimum requirement for the distance between the eyes before you can go on one of their TV ads?

PrincessBandit
21st October 2015, 06:03
If I saw a picket line at Bunnings I'd go to Mitre 10, they are always withing range of each other in location and price.

Would be my option - they are right next door to each other in my neck of the woods so I'd go for the carpark direction with the kiwi sign instead of the roo sign .

What they showed of the Auckland protest on the box it looked more like rent-a-crowd than actual affected workers. Passing a picket line to buy some weedkiller or polyfilla is a bit different to passing a picket line to take the job of the people taking action. Fuck 'em.

It's my right as a consumer to buy wherever I choose. If I chose to shop somewhere with a picket line and I was verbally or physically intimidated it would be my phone doing the recording and abuse going up on youtube.

Someone trying to stop me from doing something I want to and am legally entitled to do.....

Fuck 'em.

If there is a rational point to be made, let it be made without the strong arm tactics. If you're unhappy with it, don't work in the retail sector where workers get treated like shite.

Echoes of Jack Tame on Seven Sharp (what can I say - sometimes I enjoy watching mindless entertainment on tv in the evening) saying if kiwis feel like we get he raw prawn in Australia then don't move there. Sounded like good advice to me.

No, the mods are pussies.

He'd just pop up again like that hard-to-kill wandering jew weed. I suggested to him once that he put all the rest of us on ignore so that his feelings didn't get hurt to the point where he kept reporting almost every post about him. Maybe we can let him take pride and joy in being top of the ignore list - it's there people; don't be afraid to use it.

Grumph
21st October 2015, 06:17
No I would not cross a picket line. I'm too old and have seen too much bad shit from employers to devalue the people protesting by ignoring them.

Plus the wife of a friend was killed when she was run down by a guy driving through a picket line.....

swarfie
21st October 2015, 06:36
Nope, not for me either. Been in the Engineers Union (or whatever it's called these days) for nearly 40 years and seen too many mongrel employers try to screw us out of decent wages and conditions. I now work for an Ozzy owned firm that will take any opportunity to screw their workers any which way. I don't agree with all the decisions by our union delegates over the years but without the union bargaining for us we'd be well down the gurgler by now.:eek5:

jasonu
21st October 2015, 07:42

Like these professional shit stirrers you mean?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11530694
I'll bet that cunt sue bradford never worked for Bunnings or anyone else for that matter (being a polititian doesn't count as actual work).

oldrider
21st October 2015, 07:48
Nope, not for me either. Been in the Engineers Union (or whatever it's called these days) for nearly 40 years and seen too many mongrel employers try to screw us out of decent wages and conditions. I now work for an Ozzy owned firm that will take any opportunity to screw their workers any which way. I don't agree with all the decisions by our union delegates over the years but without the union bargaining for us we'd be well down the gurgler by now.:eek5:

That type of employment relations makes about as much sense as wife beating!

It's like a farmer treating his animals badly so that they can get more produce out of them!

Unions try to keep that bad boss attitude going among the workers so that they can build their own situation up - create a need exploit the greed.

Employment relations are between employers and their staff - unions are employed by workers - most unions get that round the wrong way - like governments do!

mashman
21st October 2015, 08:25
Wonder what it means to the picketers to have someone walk past them whilst they're trying to make a stand for whatever reason? Kinda reminds me of that motorcycle ACC protest thing a while back.

caspernz
21st October 2015, 08:37
Like these professional shit stirrers you mean?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11530694
I'll bet that cunt sue bradford never worked for Bunnings or anyone else for that matter (being a polititian doesn't count as actual work).

Looks dodgy alright, doesn't help when "professional protester" faces are seen in this setting.

That type of employment relations makes about as much sense as wife beating!

It's like a farmer treating his animals badly so that they can get more produce out of them!

Unions try to keep that bad boss attitude going among the workers so that they can build their own situation up - create a need exploit the greed.

Employment relations are between employers and their staff - unions are employed by workers - most unions get that round the wrong way - like governments do!

Our personal experiences are obviously quite different, for what I've seen happening since the ECA was introduced in the early 90s, suggests an ever increasing need for union presence in sizeable firms.

Small firms might be a different story, but work for a bigger outfit where the line of communication between a worker and the decision maker at the top means layers of middle managers, the employment relationship quickly becomes like being in the army.

Blackbird
21st October 2015, 08:42
Wonder what it means to the picketers to have someone walk past them whilst they're trying to make a stand for whatever reason? Kinda reminds me of that motorcycle ACC protest thing a while back.

Back in the 80's when the Boilermakers, Riggers and associated militant unions were always pulling the pin, I was crossing picket lines on a daily basis as a manager in one of the companies which always got targeted because of its size. Never copped any abuse from the company employees who were picketing as I had good relations with most of them. It was a bit different with the inevitable "ring-ins" from outside like Bill Anderson and John Findlay and their heavies. They make the current crop look like saints. Besides, the ideologies and reasons for industrial action between then and now are a world apart.

TheDemonLord
21st October 2015, 08:49
Looks dodgy alright, doesn't help when "professional protester" faces are seen in this setting.

Heh - 'Professional protester' - you mean fuckwits who are either unemployed or whose job is so inconsequential that they can just take time off to sit outside a Bunnings for days a time... the phrase 'parasitic vermin' comes to mind

mashman
21st October 2015, 09:04
Back in the 80's when the Boilermakers, Riggers and associated militant unions were always pulling the pin, I was crossing picket lines on a daily basis as a manager in one of the companies which always got targeted because of its size. Never copped any abuse from the company employees who were picketing as I had good relations with most of them. It was a bit different with the inevitable "ring-ins" from outside like Bill Anderson and John Findlay and their heavies. They make the current crop look like saints. Besides, the ideologies and reasons for industrial action between then and now are a world apart.

lol... Aye, it's all somewhat watered down these days and very close to being illegal innit. I only ever watched pickets on TV, never been no one, never had to cross one, never been a member of a union. Always thought it a strange thing that someone had to use the threat of their non-production to get what they need, in order to keep coming to work. Still does seem like an exceptionally silly way of doing things. Although I'd say that the reasons have always been the same though i.e. better conditions/money.

caspernz
21st October 2015, 09:06

Absolutely right. My way of thinking about a picket line is to stop non-union workers doing the same job as us from going to work. Harassing customers in a retail store setting quickly becomes counter productive is what I'm thinking.

Heh - 'Professional protester' - you mean fuckwits who are either unemployed or whose job is so inconsequential that they can just take time off to sit outside a Bunnings for days a time... the phrase 'parasitic vermin' comes to mind

Use any words you wish to describe 'em, whenever folks who have no skin in the actual conflict partake, the message goes off point.

haydes55
21st October 2015, 09:25
Why protest? Just apply for a different job elsewhere. My work refused a pay raise so I applied for other jobs. Got a $3.50 plus commission pay raise by changing job.

pritch
21st October 2015, 09:55
I was involved in an industrial action once, it was a real education. One supervisor immediately started carrying a pick axe handle in his ute. A manager tried to hit people in the picket line with his vehicle before he raced away up the road. He must have been really pissed off when he realised he had raced away up a dead end road. :brick: Fuckwit!

So having once had the experience I wouldn't cross a picket line. It isn't only the unions that "bend the truth"; the employers, the Government and the newspapers are more than willing to do as well. Consequently it can sometimes be difficult for an outsider to know the facts of the matter.

Blackbird
21st October 2015, 10:31
It isn't only the unions that "bend the truth"; the employers, the Government and the newspapers are more than willing to do as well. Consequently it can sometimes be difficult for an outsider to know the facts of the matter.

Absolutely! I was just reading some archives on line about the Kinleith Mill (where I was maintenance manager) and Marsden Point industrial action and realised how much I'd forgotten about some of the horrors that the average person suffered in the crossfire. Most of the line managers and local union delegates got on really well. It was interference from both employer reps and union officials who were not actually on those sites who caused most of the grief, both from opposing ideological standpoints and from sheer incompetence.

Big Dog
21st October 2015, 11:03
I am all for collective bargaining. Not a fan of the modern union.
If you don't like your job get another. Can't get a good job get educated.

I have worked places where the bloody minded unions forced employee reductions so the privileged could have a couple more dollars.
I have worked hard to earn pay rises only to have the union cover in behind me and have the starting wage raised to where the most idle person earned the same.

I appreciate the changes the unions of old fought for. I don't see that idealism in the current crop.

If I arrived at bunions and people were picketing I might take the time to find out their cause if they aren't being twits.

I will decide accordingly. Not blindly do whatever the union wants. Sometimes what they want is unreasonable. Most cases in the past I have shown my support by taking my purchase elsewhere. Not always.

But anyone lays a hand on me that is crossing the line.
I will retaliate with whatever is the least amount of force required to ensure mine and my family's safety.
I would not hesitate to have them charged afterward.

Sent via tapatalk.

Rhubarb
21st October 2015, 11:03
Passing a picket line to buy some weedkiller or polyfilla is a bit different to passing a picket line to take the job of the people taking action.

I agree.

I've dealt quite a bit with unions as an employee then as an employee + union rep and for the last 12 years as an employer.

All those years ago I resigned as the Company Union Rep because I didn't like the way the Union people acted (those employed by the union)- unethical, underhanded, manipulative, devious and self serving.

At the drop of a hat they wanted the employees to go out on strike because there was 0.5% difference in the Union's pay demand compared to the Employers offer!!!
The union wanted the employees to go on strike without pay for a pathetic 0.5% while the union people would stand on the frontline to support us after arriving in the union supplied $40,000 car while they still got paid their $50,000 or $60,000 per annum standing beside company employees who are being misguided by the union fat cats into going on strike to get another 9 cents an hour.
In my case the company offered 68 cents extra an hour but the union wanted me to get 77c more per hour - not because it was good for me but because the union wanted to 'win'.
I resigned from the union, negotiated one-to-one with the employer myself and got what I felt I deserved.

Having said that, I'm sure there are instances where strikes and union involvement has benefited employees.

Also, not all employers are bastards.

Big Dog
21st October 2015, 11:08
I was involved in an industrial action once, it was a real education. One supervisor immediately started carrying a pick axe handle in his ute. A manager tried to hit people in the picket line with his vehicle before he raced away up the road. He must have been really pissed off when he realised he had raced away up a dead end road. :brick: Fuckwit!

So having once had the experience I wouldn't cross a picket line. It isn't only the unions that "bend the truth"; the employers, the Government and the newspapers are more than willing to do as well. Consequently it can sometimes be difficult for an outsider to know the facts of the matter.
Before they out sourced mount eden it was common to see uniformed guards picketing the prison. It made me wonder what would happen if their patrons refused to cross the picket line.

Sent via tapatalk.

jasonu
21st October 2015, 12:12

It seamed like the onion spokesman was always a fat pom.

I worked on the K'rd McDonalds original installation way back when. The on site union head honcho was a fat pommy cunt (chippie IIRC) who spent his day worrying about what everyone else was or wasn't doing and if they were in the union. I never saw him actually cut a piece if wood or hammer in a nail the whole time I was on that site.

Blackbird
21st October 2015, 12:31
It seamed like the onion spokesman was always a fat pom.

Well, most of the onion bigwigs of that era certainly fitted that description. Representing their best interests over and above that of their members was always top priority. Intimidating their members was second priority. The Engineers Union on-site shop steward I used to deal with was an Aussie and an outstanding tradesman. He was an honourable man, certainly not soft but most everyday issues were sorted on the basis of a handshake. Everyone owed him a real debt of gratitude. Regrettably, the Electricians delegate was a complete lunatic of Dalmatian origin and I always thought that he would have fitted in perfectly with the strife in that part of the world. :laugh:

In a similar vein, in my whole working life of over 4 decades, I've only ever worked with 2 people who were true leaders. (as opposed to a few good managers and some right arseoles). It probably shows just how rare good leaders are, irrespective of what side of an organisation they are on.

Oakie
21st October 2015, 18:33
I did cross a picket line where I worked once. I was not a member of the union and I was not doing the same work as the strikers so was pretty comfortable doing it. Actually it was dead easy because none of them even turned up to picket. Just took it as a day at home to mow the lawn or go to the lake. They lost 2 days wages which I think was going to have taken them 18 months to recoup because there was bugger all difference between employers' offer and union's demand. Don't recall if they even got it or not.

Now as for the Bunnings demands: One guy said he wanted more family time than his 4 day a week for 40 hours pay allowed. Hard to see how he can do that without reducing hours. The other complaint I noted was the guy who thought it was wrong that he should have to request time off in writing (rather than just tell the boss he wasn't coming in on such and such a day).

ellipsis
21st October 2015, 19:21

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KdOCWUgwiWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oakie
21st October 2015, 19:23

Gawd. Didn't even have to play that to remember it.

scumdog
21st October 2015, 19:46
I was lucky to be a freezing worker back when pay was good and the union strong.
The only strikes we ever went on was a union mandated 'national strike'.

But have to admit I didn't agree to the union head ratinale for one or two of those strikes but as the works was at a stand-still there was no picket line since nobody had the option of working, to this day I'm not sure I wouldn't have crossed the picket line.

nodrog
21st October 2015, 20:15

So I'll get to the point. Bunnings workers picketing. They did it here at my local in Christchurch and made their point without impeding anyone so I tolerated it when I went to get some stuff. They did it in Auckland and made some human barricade and stopped people going into do their shopping and my blood boiled at that. I'm a mild mannered guy but if anyone put their hands on me to stop me going about my legal business in that manner I really think I'd use the small amount of Aikido we were taught at work and probably break or dislocate whatever body part they touch me with.

So what say you good KBers. Do you respect someone else's picket line regardless or would you try to cross to go about your business ... and what do you do if you are impeded?

I go to Bunning's quite a bit for work, and the impression I get is that it is a job for the retired person, the in between jobs person, or the unemployable anywhere else person.

I think some people need to take a step back and see how lucky they are to actually be employed sometimes.

I'm pretty sure there maybe some people that would be far more grateful to be employed there.

Shaun Harris
22nd October 2015, 11:26
I was lucky to be a freezing worker back when pay was good and the union strong.
The only strikes we ever went on was a union mandated 'national strike'.

But have to admit I didn't agree to the union head ratinale for one or two of those strikes but as the works was at a stand-still there was no picket line since nobody had the option of working, to this day I'm not sure I wouldn't have crossed the picket line.

The union itself totally destroyed the Patea freezing works, which then destroyed the whole town really. Lazy power hungry fukers who were already on very very good money, dumb bar-stewards

Shaun Harris
22nd October 2015, 11:27
I think some people need to take a step back and see how lucky they are to actually be employed sometimes.

I'm pretty sure there maybe some people that would be far more grateful to be employed there.

Agreed man. we all have the right to work, but the owner has the right also to refuse you a job

Maha
22nd October 2015, 13:44
Unions are like online polls, they're there, but have little (if any) significance, and ultimately make the unintelligent look even more so, for no good reason other than casting a fucking useless vote in the first place.

RDJ
22nd October 2015, 15:45
When a picket line is a physical, unlawful barrier to me freely going about my business I will cross it. When a picket line is not impeding foot and vehicle traffic and displaying placards to communicate their side of the story, the picketers have the right to be seen.

Shaun Harris
22nd October 2015, 16:27
When a picket line is a physical, unlawful barrier to me freely going about my business I will cross it. When a picket line is not impeding foot and vehicle traffic and displaying placards to communicate their side of the story, the picketers have the right to be seen.

Agree with you, freedom of speech as such

Virago
22nd October 2015, 21:37
I go to Bunning's quite a bit for work, and the impression I get is that it is a job for the retired person, the in between jobs person, or the unemployable anywhere else person...

I used to think the same. But the last two visits I've made I've stuck staff who were very knowledgeable about the products they were selling, genuinely interested in helping, and obviously enjoying the process. Perhaps I've just got lucky.

jasonu
23rd October 2015, 05:07
I go to Bunning's quite a bit for work, and the impression I get is that it is a job for the retired person, the in between jobs person, or the unemployable anywhere else person.

That is the case over here with Home Depot and Lowes. There is the occasional knowledgeable customer service person but mostly you are better to simply ask where would I find such and such then figure it out for yourself.

Blackbird
23rd October 2015, 06:02
I used to think the same. But the last two visits I've made I've stuck staff who were very knowledgeable about the products they were selling, genuinely interested in helping, and obviously enjoying the process. Perhaps I've just got lucky.

Likewise.... I've found the staff in the Hamilton and Rotorua branches really helpful. Ditto for Placemakers in Whitianga. The latter do seem to have a policy of picking up older people who have retired to the beach and want a bit of pocket money or something to do. Find them great to deal with.

Paul in NZ
23rd October 2015, 08:44
I dont in general believe in crossing picket lines. Not my monkeys and not my circus.

Most stuff I need has competitive suppliers so I just go there.

rambaldi
23rd October 2015, 10:55
Likewise.... I've found the staff in the Hamilton and Rotorua branches really helpful. Ditto for Placemakers in Whitianga. The latter do seem to have a policy of picking up older people who have retired to the beach and want a bit of pocket money or something to do. Find them great to deal with.

Used to work in one of the big box hardware stores (check out bitch though). You generally want to find someone older as they may have actually used some of the kit they are selling, and aren't such a Muppet that they can't get a job as a tradey. Some of the areas though, like seasonal, it doesn't matter much a table and chair set is a table and chair set.

pritch
24th October 2015, 15:21
But the last two visits I've made I've stuck staff who were very knowledgeable about the products they were selling, genuinely interested in helping, and obviously enjoying the process.

Not Bunnings, but Mitre10 which is probably not dissimilar; there is a KBer employed at the local Mitre10, he is retired from the job that was his career.
He told me that others of the staff there are in a similar situation. That would explain why, when I have asked for advice, I've been pleased with the help I got.

I suspect there are a number of former painters, builders, farmers and others who know their way around tools and hardware working there.

Woodman
24th October 2015, 17:04
Not Bunnings, but Mitre10 which is probably not dissimilar; there is a KBer employed at the local Mitre10, he is retired from the job that was his career.
He told me that others of the staff there are in a similar situation. That would explain why, when I have asked for advice, I've been pleased with the help I got.

I suspect there are a number of former painters, builders, farmers and others who know their way around tools and hardware working there.

Up until 3 months ago I was managing a branch of a retail chain, and after having unbelievable issues with young staff, made a conscious decision to employ older people. Not the only business in town to have that policy either.

caspernz
24th October 2015, 19:38
Up until 3 months ago I was managing a branch of a retail chain, and after having unbelievable issues with young staff, made a conscious decision to employ older people. Not the only business in town to have that policy either.

Employing more mature staff has benefits in plenty of industries, as long as the attitude is positive, the experience they have is near priceless.

haydes55
24th October 2015, 22:01
I just quit a job as 2ic of operations at hrv. I'm 24, operations manager is 25. Filter change manager 23, telemarketer manager is 23, office manager is 20. The only people older than 26 is the GM in her 40's, a customer service manager late 30's and some salesmen.

That's a multi million dollar per year company run predominantly by about 30 people in their mid 20's.

Better profit margins when you can pay less wages (which is why I left) and have very competent managers and staff.

Youth doesn't mean incompetence. Just easier to justify exploiting skill for lower wages.

Oakie
24th October 2015, 22:31
Youth doesn't mean incompetence. Just easier to justify exploiting skill for lower wages.
You are right. It doesn't mean incompetance. It can mean a variety of life skills shortages, lack of maturity and attitide issues. (Not all yunguns of course. Our latest hire is a 24 year old and he is a star. Probably better already than some of our 50 year olds who have been with us 10 years)
It's not even their fault often. There's that thing about the frontal lobe (?) which doesn't fully develop until you're about 25. That's the bit of the brain that helps with decisions ... discretion vs valour and that sort of thing.

Re Bunnings: my impression is that our local has a good mix of older ex-tradies who really know thier stuff and younger people who try hard to do a good job.

Woodman
25th October 2015, 07:13

Agreed, in fact 6 months or so before I left I took on two young guys, basically to do donkey work and they both stepped up, were reliable, asked for and got more responsibility, and used their initiative. Sadly though the corporate retailers rarely reward good performance.:brick:

R650R
25th October 2015, 07:28
I always found Bunnings better than Mega 10, waiting for the new branch to open when they find a site....

Where I work I was the youngest at 40+ by a good margin of a group employed. Believe me age is no indicator of work ethic or ability not to damage stuff in spectacular fashion.... There's a bell curve like every other group where ever you are with a mix of actual ability. Yes there's some young munters out there but a decent employment screening process should pick that up. I'm sure we all went to high school with plenty of dropouts that we'd never hire ourselves, nothing new there.