PDA

View Full Version : Two bikes are better than one (Rumblefromafirestorm)

Rumblefromafirestorm
21st October 2015, 21:35
Hey everyone, Just trying out the forum for the first time so I thought i'd share my story...

returning from 10 years abroad I decided not to ship my Vulcan back due to cost benefit analysis. I left the wife in Adelaide with the kawa and found myself itching for some more v twin power. Not wanting to buy a "Hardley a Davidson" I started researching my options. looked at the Vstroms but decided they were over priced for second hand units, But do like the riding position though. didn't want a yammy due to poor quality metals used. checked out a KTM990 but decided against it for no other reason but distance.

a cheap 06 firestorm came up on TM $4800 with pack rack and afew extras ie dynokit tuned and barracuda exhaust's with 9 months rego was an opportunity not to go begging. Well Murphy's law soon knocked on the Door and I found another 06 Firestorm with 16k on the clock and prepped for track days with all the fruit... carbon casing covers, lithuim battery, dual compound rubber and many other bits n pieces not 2 km from where i lived...all for $5750 three days after I purchased #1

So now Im the owner of two 06 storms and trying to justify keeping both... One for the track days at Hampton downs and the other as a shopping hack When I need the use of the Pack. A good mate said when he had two rides it was just to complicated, But knowing him personally i'd say it was his lack of preparation of storing them over the winters and his inability to maintain them himself that was the biggest hurdle.

Anyway, I love tinkering with the tools so Im going to try and see what happens with owning two..Funnily enough I'm still looking at buying another race bike for next years hyosung rounds.

mulletman
21st October 2015, 21:41
Sounds like good buying to me :niceone:

BuzzardNZ
21st October 2015, 21:45
welcome 2 the site. Nothing wrong with the FireStorm, looked at 1 myself, but liked the SV better ( each to their own ). I'd ditch the lithium battery if I were you though ( see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133375-Shorai-LFX-lithium-batteries )

nzspokes
21st October 2015, 21:55
Got 6 bikes kicking about here but my VTR is my favorite by a long way. Mine has done the odd lap of Hampton as well.

Just make sure you have got manual cam chain tensioners.

ducatilover
21st October 2015, 21:59
I have 10 or something, my VTR is my favorite too. Ratty, beaten up and a set of loud Yoshis, what's not to like?

Apart from being hungry and handling like a truck

nzspokes
22nd October 2015, 05:33
I have 10 or something, my VTR is my favorite too. Ratty, beaten up and a set of loud Yoshis, what's not to like?

Apart from being hungry and handling like a truck

Hungry and handling are easy sorted.

ducatilover
25th October 2015, 22:23
Hungry and handling are easy sorted.

Just waiting on new steering and wheel bearings for my front end conversion and the bushes for the rear shock conversion too

nzspokes
26th October 2015, 17:30
Just waiting on new steering and wheel bearings for my front end conversion and the bushes for the rear shock conversion too

Does that mean you have some stock forks to get out of the way? And maybe a front wheel? Im a parts whore for VTrs so show me what you got....

ducatilover
26th October 2015, 20:58
Does that mean you have some stock forks to get out of the way? And maybe a front wheel? Im a parts whore for VTrs so show me what you got....

One stanchion on my stockers has a slight crease under the seal, enough to make it weep.
I'll be using the stock rim and brakes with the swap (brakes need kitting though)
I'm also ditching the fairings/dash so if you want/need a double bubble screen...

nzspokes
27th October 2015, 05:53
One stanchion on my stockers has a slight crease under the seal, enough to make it weep.
I'll be using the stock rim and brakes with the swap (brakes need kitting though)
I'm also ditching the fairings/dash so if you want/need a double bubble screen...

Do you know the brand of the screen? Got a pic? Yes im interested. Also looking for the fairing piece that goes around the headlight. Could also be interested in the forks. Got some pics?

They make epic fighters. I really like this one.

ducatilover
28th October 2015, 19:22
Clear your pms bro

nzspokes
28th October 2015, 20:31
Clear your pms bro

Just did.:rolleyes:

BrendonF
30th October 2015, 07:48
Hey everyone, Just trying out the forum for the first time so I thought i'd share my story...

returning from 10 years abroad I decided not to ship my Vulcan back due to cost benefit analysis. I left the wife in Adelaide with the kawa and found myself itching for some more v twin power. Not wanting to buy a "Hardley a Davidson" I started researching my options. looked at the Vstroms but decided they were over priced for second hand units, But do like the riding position though. didn't want a yammy due to poor quality metals used. checked out a KTM990 but decided against it for no other reason but distance.

a cheap 06 firestorm came up on TM $4800 with pack rack and afew extras ie dynokit tuned and barracuda exhaust's with 9 months rego was an opportunity not to go begging. Well Murphy's law soon knocked on the Door and I found another 06 Firestorm with 16k on the clock and prepped for track days with all the fruit... carbon casing covers, lithuim battery, dual compound rubber and many other bits n pieces not 2 km from where i lived...all for $5750 three days after I purchased #1

So now Im the owner of two 06 storms and trying to justify keeping both... One for the track days at Hampton downs and the other as a shopping hack When I need the use of the Pack. A good mate said when he had two rides it was just to complicated, But knowing him personally i'd say it was his lack of preparation of storing them over the winters and his inability to maintain them himself that was the biggest hurdle.

Anyway, I love tinkering with the tools so Im going to try and see what happens with owning two..Funnily enough I'm still looking at buying another race bike for next years hyosung rounds.

I too have just returned from a decade in Aus. I did bring my bike across as the cost to replace her with a another one the same and then doing all the farkles again, it works out cheaper to bring her across. The shipping was $1500, GST was $1600 (what a rip as I have already paid GST in Aus and I am not selling her) then the compliancing etc (not sure yet as I pick her up today). I do have to buy warmer gear though and found a pair of Astars leathers pants for $200 on clearance. I still have a jacket to buy. All my gear is for warm tropical weather as I lived around Townsville. I am struggling with the cool weather.