PDA

View Full Version : loose chain

thommo404
25th September 2005, 20:50
Hey,
My chain has become quite loose(ZXR250A). Two questions! Is this normal? And is there a way of tightening it myself or do i have to take it to the bike shop. I lied make that three. How many kms between services.

Thommo404

ZorsT
25th September 2005, 20:53
It is perfectly normal, as the chain wears, it stretches.

They are easy to tighten, but I am not the one to tell you. There is a maintance thread somewhere in the forum. I'll look for it.

Edit: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11119&highlight=chain

campbellluke
25th September 2005, 21:50
Hey,
My chain has become quite loose(ZXR250A). Two questions! Is this normal? And is there a way of tightening it myself or do i have to take it to the bike shop. I lied make that three. How many kms between services.

Thommo404
Go and buy a 22mm ring spanner. And a 6mm ( maybe 5 ) allum key. And do it yourself. Piss easy job. That I rate one of the most important things to do. Make sure there is still about 25mil of slack in the chain though. That's how it's supposed to be when it's adjusted perfectly. Bikes sound bad when hardouts have tightened their chain too much.

There will be a little gauge on both sides of the chain which shows how much the chain has been adjusted. You turn your allum key, and try to get the gauges on both sides as close as you can.

If you don't keep tabs on your chain you will be visiting the dealer soon enough to order some sprockets and a new oring. If you want them to fitted, it may cost over $200AU

How many kms? Depends on how well the oring chain is maintained. Big horsepower bikes apparantly can chomp through chains. But I have only had a 145cc and a 250cc road bike. I hardly ever need to tighten it for the first 20,000ks but after that it is all downhill and I only get about 30000K out of a oring. Im sure some people would shake their heads about that. Orings can last way longer than that.

So yeah this is normal. Just remember to keep a 25mil slack and keep the chain well oiled, and it's sweet.

White trash
25th September 2005, 21:54
Nope. Bike's fucked sorry.

I just happen to know someone that's after a fucked ZXR though, and he'll pay FIFTY BUCKS for one. Now that's a deal.

campbellluke
25th September 2005, 22:00
Campbellluke.. the word is Allen Key

Thanks didn't know that. After years of saying allum, allen probably won't stick though.

Quasievil
25th September 2005, 22:15
Take it easy Jimmy he is from Australia mate

boomer
25th September 2005, 22:38
Yeah my uncle still things his bike has Flairings too. We keep tellin him but the next week he's all.. I tucked behind my flairing bla bla.. and I'm like Dan its fairings man.

funny shit.

I bought some ecotech 2 degreaser and silkolene chain gel on saturday and did my chain for the first time. I started on the chain, looking through the threads i took note to steal my young ladies 'spare' toothbrush and set about cleaning the chain... one thing led to another and i couldn't believe how much oil and black shyte there was all aver the back end.. needless to say my chain cleaning grew to cleaning virtually the whole back end. I took the face plate of the front sprocket and man... there was inches of shyte in there, easily removed with the degreaser tho. A quick wash down and run to take away most of the water and on with the gel.

looks nice and clean now, but all i could hear as i'm cleaning all the oil and shyte away was my mates voice saying "grease is your friend".. had me wondering if i'd cleaned her a little too much.

I got caught red handed with toothbrush in hand and my partner gave me a sturn look and was put off the scent by the smell of teh degreaser.. she liked it and when she found out what it was she went away with a 'confused' look on her plate... something cleaning a bike shouldnt smell nice i heard her say .. lol :third:

maybe i'll show her the wax and let her polish my bike if she digs those sweet smells :hug:

k14
25th September 2005, 22:45
Hey boomer, sorry to tell ya but degreaser on a chain is a big no no. Only use kerosene. Then make sure its fully cleaned off before you re oil it again.

boomer
25th September 2005, 22:50
serious? I asked matey boy in the shop if its all good for the chain and he was pretty sure.... :doh:

I knew there had to be something i'd do fekin wrong :) oh well whats the worse that can happen? new chain? as long as its not gonna implode on me and wipe out my old fella in the process :thud: ( although saying that, that little op is on the shopping list)

Thanks for the heads up :) where can i get myself kero from?

I've learnt a few things then this w/e, not least some bike maintenance :lol:

k14
25th September 2005, 23:01
Was your chain an o-ring type? If not then using degreaser isn't too bad but still not recommended. If its an o-ring then you can stuff the o-rings and let all the lubrication that they seal in get taken away, thus causing excessive wear. I wouldn't worry too much about using it once, but I would advise not doing it in the future.

As for buying kero, get it from ya supermarket (of all places), less than a couple of bucks if i remember correctly.

boomer
25th September 2005, 23:03
:2thumbsup Thanks k14.

The supermarket huh.. who'd of guessed ! ( not me )

Dadpole
25th September 2005, 23:24
Note that the 25mm slack is when you are sitting on the bike. Not on the mainstand.

mikey
27th September 2005, 19:20
you got to watch those chains eh.

mine fell off on me.

then i put it back on.

but i forgot to tighten the axle nut. an that fell off to.

some people shouldn be let near tools an bikes