PDA

View Full Version : My first crash

Jin
25th November 2015, 10:30
I had my first ever crash on Monday afternoon taking a corner on Woodcocks Road. A warning to you guys to take it easy on Woodcocks as there is gravel all down this road from about 1/2 way through heading towards SH16. With ZERO warning signs. I hit the first spot of gravel mid corner which is just after the tight twisty bits past the mountain after the railroad crossing. I low sided going round a right hand bend and bike ended up down a bank.

Bike is not too bad. Broken right hand mirror and indicator, engine cover scratched up and mid fairing scratched bad. Otherwise its looks ok and just need to replace those parts. Im okay myself just a bit battered and sore. Feeling much better today after sleeping all day yesterday. I was in full leather and thank god i was otherwise id be in hospital probably needing skin grafts on my shoulder and pelvis. Worth every single cent to get leathers. Nothing slides as good as cow.

A local and some bee workers helped pull my bike out of the ditch and were kind enough to strap it down on their truck and give me a ride to Helesville. From there i was able to ride it home. Adrenalin was starting to wear off by then and was starting to feel the pain too.

I took the corner fast but would have gone through it fine if not for the gravel as im very familiar with this road. It pisses me off that there are roadworks and repairs all down this road with no warning signs at all. And i dont have insurance either but from the damage im not going to be too much out of pocket. Im guessing around $500 to replace everything including mid fairing.

Before anyone asks I forgot to take pics :facepalm:

Katman
25th November 2015, 10:35
I took the corner fast but would have gone through it fine if not for the gravel as im very familiar with this road. It pisses me off that there are roadworks and repairs all down this road with no warning signs at all.

Public roads can change without warning.

That's why it doesn't pay to treat them like a racetrack.

Banditbandit
25th November 2015, 10:40
The Kat's right - if you ride hard out expect the odd tumble ...

25th November 2015, 10:41
Glad to hear you are ok, and the bike is not too badly damaged. I would still check the frame and engine to make sure there is no hidden damage and that everything is still straight and aligned. The only comment I can make is that if you do manage to replace these broken bits for %00 or less, then you are either very lucky or know someone in the trade that I don't. Usually these parts are actually costly depending on year and model ofcourse, unless you go for second hand.

And I know someone who was in similar situation with unmarked road works, and the council did not want to hear about it. Once he threatened them with small claims court action, the signs magically appeared on that stretch of road.

Banditbandit
25th November 2015, 10:44
Send the council the bill for repairs .. they created the problem, they have to pay.

There are court case precedents which force them to pay ..

Akzle
25th November 2015, 10:46

+1

familiarity breeds contempt.

Probably a timely reminder to you.

Your memory is only as good as the last time you rode it. As you've learned. Things change.

Some fuck has decided to replace half, or one and a half lanes, of seal, with some kind of agregate and clay. Gawdfukkendamn.

Been pulling some skids in the magna though :bleh::motu:

OddDuck
25th November 2015, 11:06

+2.

Ride around corner, there's a cattle beast in the middle of the road.

Ride around corner, tree roots have been uplifting the tarmac for years, it's like hitting a judder bar while banked over.

Ride around corner, loose sheep charge out of verge and run across road.

Ride around corner, police car is sitting in middle of lane with lights spinning, right in middle of god-damn lane for fucks sake, while towie hauls last night's crashed car out of ditch. That said I might have been taking the corner just a bit faster than plod expects the average motorist to go...

These all happened inside the last two years. Take it easy out there, good to hear you're OK.

EJK
25th November 2015, 11:12
I know someone who's also crashed on Woodcocks road many years ago :rolleyes:

Glad you are OK. $500 ain't TOO bad I guess? Thanks for sharing your story!

TheDemonLord
25th November 2015, 11:13
So far good advice all round - hopefully you learn a lesson from the crash and become a safer rider.

pritch
25th November 2015, 11:21
Don't know the area but I just looked at it on the map. It looks reasonably rural. First rule of rural riding is, "expect the unexpected".

An email to the Council wouldn't go astray and might help someone else?

Jin
25th November 2015, 11:37

Send the council the bill for repairs .. they created the problem, they have to pay.

There are court case precedents which force them to pay ..
Thanks for the comments guys.

Im not gonna argue with the comments about roads not being racetracks. However in my defense I was at or under the speed limit in the corner and was not taking a raceline. It was just a tight bend and a spot of gravel mid corner is going to cause problems for any rider going at a normal pace.

How reasonable is it to ask council to foot the bill or some of it? How to go about this?

Jin
25th November 2015, 11:43
I gotta say the current roadworks in Rodney are just goddam awful. There are patches on SH16 with no warning signs. A whole section of road just after the lookout just loose gravel. And riding to Helensville with the bee guys the road was stopped for road works. And the roadworkers waved us through on was looked like fresh wet tar :rolleyes:

pritch
25th November 2015, 11:48
How reasonable is it to ask council to foot the bill or some of it? How to go about this?

They would probably just ignore you, but a lawyer or your insurance company would likely get their attention.

It isn't serious enough to involve a lawyer, but your insurance company?

HondaLad
25th November 2015, 11:58
I had my first ever crash on Monday.... blah blah blah ...

And i dont have insurance either but from the damage im not going to be too much out of pocket. Im guessing around $500 to replace everything including mid fairing.

At least the damage is mainly cosmetic

FJRider
25th November 2015, 12:08
.... Im not gonna argue with the comments about roads not being racetracks. However in my defense I was at or under the speed limit in the corner and was not taking a raceline. It was just a tight bend and a spot of gravel mid corner is going to cause problems for any rider going at a normal pace.

Not all rural roads are safe at the speed limit. regardless of the line you take. In regard to stopping distances ... clear road ahead also means road conditions ... not just traffic conditions. You failed to scan the road surface ... and crashed. You even admit taking the corner fast ... your fault.

You seem quick to blame the council. (You did notify them .. so they can fix the problem .. didn't you .. ???) If it was just gravel on the road ... and not road works ... it is not always councils fault for your fuck-up. Truck and trailer units on twisting rural roads can cause this issue ... as the rear wheels of the trailers cut the corner and drag gravel out onto the seal.

Remember ... not all roads (anywhere) will be as good as the last time you rode it ... (If you have actually ridden it before) Nor could the traffic volume (or lack of) be the same.

Night Falcon
25th November 2015, 12:28
+2.

Ride around corner, there's a cattle beast in the middle of the road.

Ride around corner, tree roots have been uplifting the tarmac for years, it's like hitting a judder bar while banked over.

Ride around corner, loose sheep charge out of verge and run across road.

Ride around corner, police car is sitting in middle of lane with lights spinning, right in middle of god-damn lane for fucks sake, while towie hauls last night's crashed car out of ditch. That said I might have been taking the corner just a bit faster than plod expects the average motorist to go...

These all happened inside the last two years. Take it easy out there, good to hear you're OK.

I can personally vouch for the "Ride around corner, loose sheep charge out of verge and run across road" scenario :facepalm:

willytheekid
25th November 2015, 13:08
Glad to hear your ok Jin :niceone:

Yell if the KB crew can help in any way ;)

Moise
25th November 2015, 13:18
I've had a couple of incidents like that on roads out Hunua way in the last 2 years. In both cases the road had been resealed, there were patches of loose stones that hadn't been swept, and no signs.

I hope you have at least 3rd party insurance.

PistonBlown
25th November 2015, 14:06
Pleased to hear you and the bike are relatively unharmed and hope you're back on the road quickly.

No lecture from me as I've had my fair share of offs in corners over the years (black ice in two cases, piece of metal being the third). When hitting gravel on corners it's never that easy to keep upright whatever speed you're doing, and riding a bike upright around every corner just in case would be no fun at all. The bad accidents tend to be those involving other objects (vehicles, trees, walls) so just try and avoid those ones if you can:-)

Only suggestion is consider getting insurance, it pays for itself sooner or later.

Swoop
25th November 2015, 14:30
There are two main problems:
1: Council road repairs need to warn motorists that "conditions" exist which are different to normal. Loose gravel falls under this category.

2: Council contractors are quite quick to use cars to sweep away the loose chip they leave behind, rather than properly sweeping away the stuff themselves.

After encountering multiple shit like this on a popular road, a complaint to the council drones was in order. They were quite concerned about it and stated that "the contractors shouldn't do this".
More insurance companies should hit the councils with reimbursement claims. Perhaps something might be done to prevent the contractors from removing warning signs PRIOR to the road being swept clear.

Banditbandit
25th November 2015, 14:39

When something similar happened to me I wrote to the council and sent in the bill - they sent me a cheque back.

One of the first cases is reported here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=3578001

I would quote the case in your letter.

Motu
25th November 2015, 16:32
Woodcocks Rd used to be all gravel, it's gone downhill since they sealed it. SH16 was all gravel once too, not much taffic on it back then. Seal a road and it gets a lot more traffic, and most of them should've stayed away.

haydes55
25th November 2015, 17:17
Jump on a dirt bike and learn how to handle gravel. Last year I had a horrible run up highway 22. They resealed a couple bits of road. The road looked amazing... obviously too good to be true. I usually go a decent pace up highway 22, I leaned into a left handed, both wheels have way and did a 2 wheel slide, ended up crossing the center line at the exit of the turn. 5 mins later did the same again, slower this time. Let the bike slide, came out fine.

jellywrestler
25th November 2015, 17:51
With ZERO warning :

if there's gravel on the road unless you're the first on the scene generally it spreads far and wide, in a very short space of time,
vehicles coming the other way will pick it up in their tyres and as they leave the area it will flick out.
As you're approaching the offending gravel any spread gravel you pick up will make a noise, a little tink tink or a lot, the noise sticks out like dogs ball, this is all the warning a good rider needs, unless you've got the dead kennedys playing or solo mio or whatever in ya earholes.

tigertim20
25th November 2015, 21:07
theres also the:
ride around a corner and in the middle of the road is a car, a van and the motorcycle it collided with earlier, the motorcycle on its side, the rider laying in the centre of the road, and 15 rubberneckers standing IN THE ROAD gawking because none of the silly cunts had the sense to think that the the entire population and vehicle fleet of some small island nations congregating around an accident might pose some risk to other traffic and that perhaps someone should go up the rad a hundred metres and warn oncoming traffic coming from both directions.

just another one I know of!

I had my first ever crash on Monday afternoon taking a corner on Woodcocks Road. A warning to you guys to take it easy on Woodcocks as there is gravel all down this road from about 1/2 way through heading towards SH16. With ZERO warning signs. I hit the first spot of gravel mid corner which is just after the tight twisty bits past the mountain after the railroad crossing. I low sided going round a right hand bend and bike ended up down a bank.

Bike is not too bad. Broken right hand mirror and indicator, engine cover scratched up and mid fairing scratched bad. Otherwise its looks ok and just need to replace those parts. Im okay myself just a bit battered and sore. Feeling much better today after sleeping all day yesterday. I was in full leather and thank god i was otherwise id be in hospital probably needing skin grafts on my shoulder and pelvis. Worth every single cent to get leathers. Nothing slides as good as cow.

A local and some bee workers helped pull my bike out of the ditch and were kind enough to strap it down on their truck and give me a ride to Helesville. From there i was able to ride it home. Adrenalin was starting to wear off by then and was starting to feel the pain too.

I took the corner fast but would have gone through it fine if not for the gravel as im very familiar with this road. It pisses me off that there are roadworks and repairs all down this road with no warning signs at all. And i dont have insurance either but from the damage im not going to be too much out of pocket. Im guessing around $500 to replace everything including mid fairing.