PDA

View Full Version : Dreamwheels

XRNR
31st January 2004, 21:21
Had a brochure dropped in my mailbox about this, so I had a look.
www.dreamwheels.org.nz

Club Dreamwheels offers the motorcycling experience you want. It's much more than just a way to hire a bike for a day. You don't have to compromise. We give you access to some awesome bikes - whether it's to deal to some twisties, tour some countryside, or take a boulevard cruise. We pride ourselves on the way that the bikes are delivered to your door, in top condition, ready to go, at the time of your choosing. No hassles, no dramas - just a great ride.

What do you know or think about it?

wari
31st January 2004, 21:41
www.dreamwheels.org.nz

I got the same flyer in my motomail catalog today and was going to check it out at work tonight , but I've been too busy.

*fingers crossed behind my back and tongue in cheek* :eek5:

James Deuce
31st January 2004, 22:41
www.dreamwheels.org.nz

Latest BRM has an Article about it.

Personally, I'm a bit cynical about the idea.

LB
1st February 2004, 04:43
I got the same flyer in my motomail catalog today and was going to check it out at work tonight , but I've been too busy.

Wari: So is the latest big Motomail catalogue finally out????

It was supposed to be out in September last year and I've been waiting and waiting and ringing and waiting ad infinitum

wari
1st February 2004, 04:55
Wari: So is the latest big Motomail catalogue finally out????

It was supposed to be out in September last year and I've been waiting and waiting and ringing and waiting ad infinitum

Yepsiree bob ... I mean Lynda ... I got mine !! :yes: yes indeedlydoodlee

Shade
1st February 2004, 07:58
I got mine yesterday too. :)

Its all good!

Jackrat
1st February 2004, 08:31
I read about DW in the latest BRM,The cost of a full membership would buy me a new bike.The other thing is that it always takes me about two weeks before I feel I really know a bike.Sorry time share still sucks.

merv
1st February 2004, 09:03
Agree with Jackrat timeshare sucks. What if you always end up with the crappy weather weekend just like it is in good old Porirua this morning? - absolutely pissing down. Also there goes our man and machine thing if we aren't the ones maintaining the bikes.

Lynda don't jump in with comments about "man" because we know Hamish does all the work in the garage on the bikes while you're watching TV with the big coffee in hand that he made for you eh! Remember who you told us fitted your Scott Oiler.

Anyway - not for me this club. As I said before I paid $18,500 for my VFR 10 years ago so that's about $1,850 p.a. so far and diminishing, plus rego at $270, warrants $40, insurance about $500, oil and filters about $100, tyres roughly $200 p.a. at the rate I use them, plus gas about $300 (I only do about 5,000km/yr on mine), chain $50 p.a. and that includes the cost of the rivetting tool, plus say $20 for polish - what's that add up to? Let's see - $3,330 assuming the bike has no residual value.

Purists would say add on the cost of lost interest on my money blah blah blah but I see the guff on the club says plans from $70/week. That's over $3,500 p.a. and you only get to ride the bike when its your turn and you don't get to drool over it when its not at your home.

Nah not for me but it might suit someone in an apartment without a garage very nicely.

750Y
1st February 2004, 16:56
they do boats too. 'dreamboats'

MikeL
1st February 2004, 21:15
Just out of interest I checked out their website. Full marks for entrepreneurship and marketing. The concept seems to fit in with the contemporary trend towards "pay per use" rather than ownership and no doubt some people will find that attractive. For me though it goes against much of what biking represents: spontaneity, freedom, flexibility and, I must admit, pride of ownership as well. I willingly admit that I probably pay a high price for these things, and from an accountant's point of view the Dreamwheels concept is eminently more sensible. But I gave up being sensible years ago.
Good luck to them nevertheless.
BTW they require a $2000 bond.