PDA

View Full Version : No mirrors fine?

tcshred
6th December 2015, 19:17
Does anyone know how much you can get fined for having no mirrors?

i don't currently have any and deciding whether i need any. I only really need them at stops to see i'm not going to get rearended, but im currently commuting where i lane split most of the time so thats not really a risk. Headcheck all the time for everything else.

Tried the folding bar end mirrors and they vibrated and were still kind of annoying.

biggo
6th December 2015, 19:43
Dont know about getting fined but you need at least one mirror for a WOF

Berries
6th December 2015, 19:48
i don't currently have any and deciding whether i need any. I only really need them at stops to see i'm not going to get rearended, but im currently commuting where i lane split most of the time so thats not really a risk. Headcheck all the time for everything else.
Call me stupid, but how can you ride on the road and not want to know who is behind you, who is catching up, who is making dodgy moves etc etc? I am constantly looking in the mirrors for plain old Commodores and cars with flashing headlights.

tcshred
6th December 2015, 19:53
Call me stupid, but how can you ride on the road and not want to know who is behind you, who is catching up, who is making dodgy moves etc etc? I am constantly looking in the mirrors for plain old Commodores and cars with flashing headlights.

I'm not sure about you, but in most mirrors I see mostly my shoulders. To see what is behind me, I prefer to turn my head...

Swoop
6th December 2015, 19:58
To see what is behind me, I prefer to turn my head...
To see what is behind you, you must be an owl.

scumdog
6th December 2015, 20:09
'Not up to WOF standard' will be on the ticket.:msn-wink:

george formby
6th December 2015, 20:16
I think the fine would be greater than the cost of mirrors which work. Get the mirrors.

Jantar
6th December 2015, 20:27
I'm not sure about you, but in most mirrors I see mostly my shoulders. ......
So fit mirror extenders like most of us do.

Oakie
6th December 2015, 20:54
Cost me $20. Of course that was in 1979.

bogan
6th December 2015, 21:22
'Not up to WOF standard' will be on the ticket.:msn-wink:

That, and failed to stop :whistle:

rastuscat
6th December 2015, 21:25
Don't know how you can get by without at least one mirror.

Situational awareness is a critical defense mechanism. Mirrors are part of that.

Jantar
6th December 2015, 21:33
Cost me $20. Of course that was in 1979.
Cost me $32. That was 3 years ago.

AllanB
6th December 2015, 22:58
Try bar end mirrors. I like them.

ANd yes, you need at least one. The law does not state what you need to see in them .....

gsxr
6th December 2015, 23:24
Does anyone know how much you can get fined for having no mirrors?

Tried the folding bar end mirrors and they vibrated and were still kind of annoying.

I wish everyone had your amazing skills to be able to observe what was going on behind you and beside you as well as concentrating on what
is happening ahead of you without the aid of mirrors.

I find indicators on a bike to be excess weight as I know which direction Im going
Ive also decided on my new build not to remount any lights as I can see perfectly fine for over 100 metres
on a moonlit night.
Im not reattaching or wiring up the horn either as everyone will here me coming with no silencer.
Decided not to mount speedo tacho or any of the dash cluster cos who looks at them anyway.
Putting the boots away till winter and back into the jandels for summer
Nothing like a 140khm summer breeze on your testicles wearing your stubbies.
Ahh That feeling of the wind bristling through your underarm hair wearing only your tanktop
Helmet can stay on the shelf till the weather cools and I need it to keep my ears warm in the winter

Meh Ill be safe as bro You other phuckers on the road better watch out cos I wont be

jasonu
7th December 2015, 03:23
I wish everyone had your amazing skills to be able to observe what was going on behind you and beside you as well as concentrating on what

I find indicators on a bike to be excess weight as I know which direction Im going
Ive also decided on my new build not to remount any lights as I can see perfectly fine for over 100 metres
on a moonlit night.
Im not reattaching or wiring up the horn either as everyone will here me coming with no silencer.
Decided not to mount speedo tacho or any of the dash cluster cos who looks at them anyway.
Ahh That feeling of the wind bristling through your underarm hair wearing only your tanktop
Helmet can stay on the shelf till the weather cools and I need it to keep my ears warm in the winter

Meh Ill be safe as bro You other phuckers on the road better watch out cos I wont be

Brakes are shit too, who needs em???

awa355
7th December 2015, 05:35

on a moonlit night.

Just don't ditch the HiViz vest and you'll be okay.
You wont need sunnies, cause who has ever heard of anyone getting a bug in both eyes at the same time.

rambaldi
7th December 2015, 16:03

Yeah, they are only used to make you go slow.

Tazz
7th December 2015, 16:10
I'm on team 'every other post' :bleh: Get extenders or a version with a longer arm. Under $30 for a pair if you shop around so no excuse.

I would imagine the fuzz could pink sticker you and make you walk home, not just ticket you for no mirrors too, otherwise it is a ticket for 'not up to WOF standard' and you can look up the fine. I got one for my headlight bulb blowing but had compliance so didn't have to pay.

Don't know how you can get by without at least one mirror.

Situational awareness is a critical defense mechanism. Mirrors are part of that.

Even one is a struggle! Head checks for Africa. Always worried about the car in front braking while I'm head checking when over taking too.

willytheekid
7th December 2015, 16:18

on a moonlit night.

...You taken up cycling now?? ;)

EJK
7th December 2015, 16:43
You guys are all noobs. Obviously you snobs don't know the first rule...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AjGXn249Fc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Owl
7th December 2015, 16:45
To see what is behind you, you must be an owl.

Well I am and I still use fucking mirrors.:p

Oakie
7th December 2015, 16:47

"I want to go, not stop".

Oakie
7th December 2015, 16:51
Even one is a struggle! Head checks for Africa. Always worried about the car in front braking while I'm head checking when over taking too.

I've been working on that over the last three weeks. My head checks seemed to have fallen by the wayside after I had a neck injury a couple of years back. Quite aware how long my eyes are off the vehicle in front doing a head check. Love my mirrors (even though they vibrate and are near half filled with my elbows!)

Owl
7th December 2015, 17:18
i don't currently have any and deciding whether i need any.

Of course you need mirrors.

bogan
7th December 2015, 18:33
With responses like these, you'd reckon the OP should go take a good hard look at himself in the mirror for even asking such a question :eek:

EJK
7th December 2015, 18:39
With responses like these, you'd reckon the OP should go take a good hard look at himself in the mirror for even asking such a question :eek:

He should reflect on what he'd posted on KB.

bogan
7th December 2015, 18:43
He should reflect on what he'd posted on KB.

Calm down, that sort of carry on is well through the looking glass...

scumdog
7th December 2015, 19:17
Calm down, that sort of carry on is well through the looking glass...

People in glass houses and all that...

F5 Dave
7th December 2015, 19:19
Scenario. You're at open road speed and some dumb shit unfolds in front of you, so you hit the picks pretty damn hard to avoid. After you've halved your speed, nose to the deck, you're scanning for escape route but you can still stop OK if you keep braking this hard.

. . . now I'll just take a quick look behind me. . . turns head while still heavily braking.

Just try it and work out how long that takes. Imagine that you are bracing yourself while braking heavily. Imagine what that will do for your control. Imagine turning back and seeing that the world has changed when you get back to looking ahead.

I still have a vivid memory of such a situation and with a quick glance in the mirtors, saw my other bike about to inhabit the space I was in so I gassed it into a space that was still free. The insurance claim would have been interesting as my mate wasn't covered to ride it so maybe I'd have to claimed I was riding both.

Shit I rode one of those bicycle things when I needed to go pick up my van down our tight windy roads, shit it was scary without mirrors.

gsxr
7th December 2015, 19:41
Scenario. You're at open road speed and some dumb shit unfolds in front of you, so you hit the picks pretty damn hard to avoid. After you've halved your speed, nose to the deck, you're scanning for escape route but you can still stop OK if you keep braking this hard.

. . . now I'll just take a quick look behind me. . . turns head while still heavily braking.

Just try it and work out how long that takes. Imagine that you are bracing yourself while braking heavily. Imagine what that will do for your control. Imagine turning back and seeing that the world has changed when you get back to looking ahead.

I still have a vivid memory of such a situation and with a quick glance in the mirtors, saw my other bike about to inhabit the space I was in so I gassed it into a space that was still free. The insurance claim would have been interesting as my mate wasn't covered to ride it so maybe I'd have to claimed I was riding both.

Shit I rode one of those bicycle things when I needed to go pick up my van down our tight windy roads, shit it was scary without mirrors.

Totally irrelevant to this thread. The OP is super human and doesnt need mirrors.
No doubt he will be removed from the gene pool before he gets a fine or decides maybe it is a good investment in a couple of mirrors.

rastuscat
7th December 2015, 19:45

If he had one.

jellywrestler
7th December 2015, 19:45
People in glass houses should have sex in the basement....

Oakie
7th December 2015, 21:42
People in glass houses...

...should pull down the blinds before removing their trousers.

8th December 2015, 10:36
should have sex in the basement....

His old man should have settled for a blowjob ;)

OddDuck
8th December 2015, 10:42
Just in case the OP does get mirrors and wants bar ends... spring for the Oberons. There are a lot of cheap copies floating around, they look just as good, but the design's been compromised for price and they fall off fairly regularly. Basically the collet that goes inside the bar should be one piece with the mirror arm clamp. The cheap jobs always use several bits instead.

Night Falcon
8th December 2015, 16:27
meh.....mirrors are only reflect the past, lets all be positive and look to the future thats in front of us :cool:

scumdog
8th December 2015, 16:37
should have sex in the basement....

Is that another way of saying up the bum???:scratch::whistle:

mulletman
8th December 2015, 18:40
Just in case the OP does get mirrors and wants bar ends... spring for the Oberons. There are a lot of cheap copies floating around, they look just as good, but the design's been compromised for price and they fall off fairly regularly. Basically the collet that goes inside the bar should be one piece with the mirror arm clamp. The cheap jobs always use several bits instead.

+ 1 for the Oberons and the reasoning :yes:

pritch
8th December 2015, 18:42
meh.....mirrors are only reflect the past, lets all be positive and look to the future thats in front of us :cool:

And the way is lit by burning bridges? :whistle:

AllanB
8th December 2015, 19:02
Barend mirrors here - NZ dealer, good product. I've used the Rocksolid ones on my last three bikes.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_1893_774