PDA

View Full Version : Most ridiculous/ expensive workshop bill ever received?

EJK
7th December 2015, 15:11
As the title says. Go!

If you do your own wrench twisting, then good for you!

Gremlin
7th December 2015, 15:21
So, to qualify, did you have to pay, or can it be an insurance job?

EJK
7th December 2015, 15:22
So, to qualify, did you have to pay, or can it be an insurance job?

Either!

Extra electronic chocolate fish for paid from your own pocket.

Gremlin
7th December 2015, 15:27
Either!

Extra electronic chocolate fish for paid from your own pocket.
Just did a quick check on the BMW records (had them to hand) and it's actually been quite cheap to the KTM I had previously.

$880 for the 100k service on BMW followed a few days later by a bill for $830, final drive rebuild (a new one would cost $2500). No tyres in invoices, I tend to buy separately. On a side note, when I bought my van I had my mechanic give it a full service... $1500...

Insurance picked up an $18,500 repair tab on the BMW... :sweatdrop

edit: Biggest bill for KTM was $2143 (no tyres), several more over a grand.

Tazz
7th December 2015, 15:33
On my first Safari when I was 18 or so, $980 odd for a water pump. Spat the alternator belt 1k down the road because almost every bolt touched was only finger tight.

Did it myself 5 years later on another Safari for $120 (not discounted/trade), 40 mins of my time and however much rad coolant costs.

Also twice my dad has been pinged picking stuff up for me. Once on my trailer, quoted $60, wanted $180 and a starter, quoted $500-600 and wanted over a grand which included the replacement of my perfectly fine battery...

Not expensive bills but hugely ridiculous, especially considering you can only charge 10% more than what you've quoted.

cheshirecat
7th December 2015, 16:12
My VFR is 21 years old over which I've owned it for about 10 of them and bills, aside from consumables, have been under $1000 in repairs and servicing. Actually they check to see if the valves need doing and have invariably said no so the engine just gets oil, coolant and a botty wipe these days.

merv
7th December 2015, 17:00
My dirt and trail bikes leave the shop when I buy them and never go back again, but when I bought my VFR new, now almost 22 years ago I thought yeah better get it serviced, preserve the warranty and all that stuff. To insult me Sawyers, as they were then, at the first service at 1,500km charged me $55 for changing the spark plugs so they said.

Most cars get the first service free so why not a bike, but anyway the book said replace the plugs at 36,000km, just checking them at services until then. So changing them at 1,500km no matter how small $55 was at the time that was just ridiculous (as per the header of this thread).

Hitcher
7th December 2015, 17:05
$22,500 parts only (no labour costs or GST) for repairs after an "incident" on an ST1300?

Gremlin
7th December 2015, 17:21
$22,500 parts only (no labour costs or GST) for repairs after an "incident" on an ST1300?
But was it actually repaired at that cost? :shit:

skippa1
7th December 2015, 18:28
Wifes car, had a miss, $670 for a new 02 sensor, picked up, still missing, new efi thingy, another $850, picked up, still missing, needs new computer, another $1200.
didnt pay any of them, argued that it should have been diagnosed right first time, paid $670, that was all.
sold car, fuckin dealer was as useful as a cop

Madness
7th December 2015, 18:29
Wifes car, had a miss, $670 for a new 02 sensor, picked up, still missing, new efi thingy, another $850, picked up, still missing, needs new computer, another $1200.
didnt pay any of them, argued that it should have been diagnosed right first time, paid $670, that was all.
sold car, fuckin dealer was as useful as a cop

Volkswagen?

Waihou Thumper
7th December 2015, 18:42
A surcharge for the use of rags and fluids? Even though they didn't.....seems to be stock standard charge at the foot of the bill! :eek5:
Being picky? perhaps...

Hitcher
7th December 2015, 19:01
But was it actually repaired at that cost?

Erm, no. It was written off, unsurprisingly. But it was still a heart-stopping quote!

TheDemonLord
7th December 2015, 19:47

Did that include complimentary Cocaine and Strippers?!?

Hitcher
7th December 2015, 20:57
Did that include complimentary Cocaine and Strippers?!?

No. It was perfect from the tank backwards. An added benefit was that I didn't have to deal with a Honda dealer to get it rebuilt.

ellipsis
7th December 2015, 21:05
...I gave a bloke two oz's and a grand for an HQ that was rough as fuck, once...it was probably worth 400 bucks...but I loved it...does that count...

Flip
8th December 2015, 08:34
100,000k service on the HD $2600. New Screaming Eagle Hydraulic cam adjuster drive plate, new high flow oil pump new cam chain, cam bearings, new cam sprockets, full service, new brake pads and plugs. Plus I spent the day riding around wellington on a new Indian bagger.

One of the few times I didn't do the work myself because I didn't have a blind bearing puller, and the shop has the factory alingnment tool to put the new cam bearings in straight.

Jeff Sichoe
8th December 2015, 08:43
$650 for replacement fork seals

leaked again within the week...

skippa1
8th December 2015, 19:14
Volkswagen?
Holden....

boman
9th December 2015, 15:59
You can get up to 5 years free servicing on a car but that would be in leu of a discount.

I got 5 years free servicing and a discount on my car purchase.

Erelyes
9th December 2015, 18:08
Went to a stealership (not Dunedin) for a WOF on the cage. $800 for the brakes they say. Quote 'brakes below wear limit'. Passed the performance test. Hmmm I say. Go home and measure the pads+rotors and they are both within published service manual spec. Return to stealership with photos of measurement and question their measurement. Oh we didn't actually measure them they say. So how did you know they were below the wear limit one wonders...

F5 Dave
9th December 2015, 19:18
100,000k service on the HD $2600. New Screaming Eagle Hydraulic cam adjuster drive plate, new high flow oil pump new cam chain, cam bearings, new cam sprockets, full service, new brake pads and plugs. Plus I spent the day riding around wellington on a new Indian bagger.

One of the few times I didn't do the work myself because I didn't have a blind bearing puller, and the shop has the factory alingnment tool to put the new cam bearings in straight.
Hey, you were going to drop by.

Flip
9th December 2015, 21:15
Hey, you were going to drop by.

Um I was but was given a new Indian tourer to try so went for a little 8 hour ride then needed a sleep afterwards. Will catch up next time.

EJK
14th December 2015, 09:13
So today I got my bike back from the service shop. Replaced chains and sprockets and did the basic 10,000kms service. $736 dollars... which is not toooooooo bad.

While speaking with Jimmy (BMS) he showed me how much I've spent on the bike so far on his computer...

$2,550 plus current $736 invoice! :eek5: Servicing bills add up real fast! Also these servicing bills were spent this year alone! :crazy:

Tazz
14th December 2015, 15:14
Short lifespan of chain and sprockets for a bike like that isn't it?

EJK
14th December 2015, 15:29
Short lifespan of chain and sprockets for a bike like that isn't it?

Not really. Because the chains that comes on these bikes are purpose built performance oriented (DID, RK etc) chains they last long as long as I maintain it right. Also most of my riding is touring and commuting so both chain and sprockets hardly gets any stress.

Askor
14th December 2015, 15:41
So today I got my bike back from the service shop. Replaced chains and sprockets and did the basic 10,000kms service. $736 dollars... which is not toooooooo bad.

While speaking with Jimmy (BMS) he showed me how much I've spent on the bike so far on his computer...

$2,550 plus current $736 invoice! :eek5: Servicing bills add up real fast! Also these servicing bills were spent this year alone! :crazy:

Jimmy's a great guy, used to have mean yarns with him whenever I went in there

EJK
14th December 2015, 15:45
Jimmy's a great guy, used to have mean yarns with him whenever I went in there

Yep he is a great guy hence I always take my bike to him (the point of my post is not how expensive he charges but the cost of ownership of having a super duper bike). If I had the same services from Hampton Honda/ Avon City Suzuki I'd probably have easily paid over $4,000 in services alone to date.

Ender EnZed
14th December 2015, 18:07
Not really. Because the chains that comes on these bikes are purpose built performance oriented (DID, RK etc) chains they last long as long as I maintain it right. Also most of my riding is touring and commuting so both chain and sprockets hardly gets any stress.

I take it it was the factory one on up until now? How far had it been?

JATZ
14th December 2015, 18:51

:gob: my service bills are only about a third of that, But I haven't factored in the cost of a long weekend in Chch while it gets done :shutup: . Biggest one so far from BMS so far was ~$500 for a stator rewind.

He's a good bugger that Jim and knows his stuff too:niceone:

Gremlin
14th December 2015, 19:30
GSA cost $35k (ex demo), spent around $15k on accessories. I'm not adding up the maintenance over 5 years, but it's 11 services and at least that in sets of tyres (there were a few sets that lasted less than 2 months). I also do almost all the accessory wiring myself as I'm the only one that knows how it all works (there were 10-11 accessories being fed power, but that's dropped to 8-10 ish now).

So yeah, I'm at least 50k in the hole without adding in tyres and service. Suspension service alone when the bike had done 90k was $600 ish (not counting fuel to New Plymouth and back, and the bike is transported as I remove a lot prior to transport, 2 nights accommodation, food etc), I think it got closer to a grand. In 10k I'll be doing that again...

I never bought it for an appreciating asset, I buy it to ride it, so I now kinda don't want to know what it adds up to... perhaps I should for a giggle? :oi-grr:

Night Falcon
16th December 2015, 08:04
GSA cost $35k (ex demo), spent around $15k on accessories. I'm not adding up the maintenance over 5 years, but it's 11 services and at least that in sets of tyres (there were a few sets that lasted less than 2 months). I also do almost all the accessory wiring myself as I'm the only one that knows how it all works (there were 10-11 accessories being fed power, but that's dropped to 8-10 ish now).

So yeah, I'm at least 50k in the hole without adding in tyres and service. Suspension service alone when the bike had done 90k was $600 ish (not counting fuel to New Plymouth and back, and the bike is transported as I remove a lot prior to transport, 2 nights accommodation, food etc), I think it got closer to a grand. In 10k I'll be doing that again...

I never bought it for an appreciating asset, I buy it to ride it, so I now kinda don't want to know what it adds up to... perhaps I should for a giggle? :oi-grr:

The bloke who said :hitcher: "quality's remembered long after the price is forgotten sonny" never owned a BMW or KTM me thinks

TheDemonLord
16th December 2015, 10:08

I'll give you $5 and a packet of Salt and Vinegar crisps for it...

G4L4XY
16th December 2015, 11:40
I'd love to learn how to do more on my bike myself. I can do very basic things like chain adjustment and coolant flushes, oil changes etc. But anything further than that oh and air filter woo! But anything more technical than that and I wouldn't really have a clue. Perhaps it's not something you want to "try" especially considering the carnage and cost of fixing something if you (I) screw it up.

sidecar bob
16th December 2015, 12:03

I got a nice used R1200GS with wire wheels & heaps of accessories, a BMW X5 4.8is & a Audi A1 for that much.
I am Dutch however.

pritch
16th December 2015, 12:07
It used to be commonplace for people to work on their bike. That was a long time ago when everybody rode pushrod singles and twins. There's no way I was going to delve into the engine internals of the VFR, or the 996 Ducati, or even the Triumph triple.

If you're a qualified mechanic OK, otherwise it could prove a seriously expensive way to save money. There's a reason these guys spend years training.
I just had to get a fuel tank welded. That could be a real exciting job for an amateur. :whistle:

Big Dog
16th December 2015, 12:17
Work on a bike is a bit like getting your end away.
Sometimes best to do it yourself or have a mate help.
Sometimes it is better to engage the services of a professional.

Where that line is various according to your own ability, time constraints and budget.

Sent via tapatalk.

F5 Dave
16th December 2015, 20:14
Work on a bike is a bit like getting your end away.
Sometimes best to do it yourself or have a mate help.
. . . .
If I see your number come up I might just let it ring

Bikemad
16th December 2015, 20:32
sorry not a bike but.......put my VS commodore into Kaspa to sort out a slight ticking noise when you engaged reverse......still drove and shifted fine........they took it out .......inspected it and said it was fine but had a bit of endplay in the crank......not unusual they said.....machined something to stop the tick.....put it back together......charged me $736.00.............3....yes 3 kilometres later it was fucked and needed a total rebuild......$3200.00......thanks KASPA glenfield you thieving cunts

TheDemonLord
16th December 2015, 20:44
sorry not a bike but.......put my VS commodore into Kaspa to sort out a slight ticking noise when you engaged reverse......still drove and shifted fine........they took it out .......inspected it and said it was fine but had a bit of endplay in the crank......not unusual they said.....machined something to stop the tick.....put it back together......charged me $736.00.............3....yes 3 kilometres later it was fucked and needed a total rebuild......$3200.00......thanks KASPA glenfield you thieving cunts

I'd be arguing that....

Erelyes
16th December 2015, 21:01

What went wrong 3km down the track? 'It was fucked' is a lil vague :laugh:

Bikemad
16th December 2015, 21:04
have kept all the paperwork etc.........you have 6 years to file at small claims.......they know it's coming.......in the meantime i am gonna do everything i can to fuck their reputation

Bikemad
16th December 2015, 21:38
What went wrong 3km down the track? 'It was fucked' is a lil vague :laugh:

it made horrendous groaning/clunking noises and slipped like fuck....top of archers road coronation road intersection...if it wasn't for the fact it was downhill back to KASPAs i wouldn't of made it....
next CRC speedshow i'm thinking of having some t shirts printed up with Beagle Boys logo instead of their one and standing next to their display inviting people to ask me about my experience with KASPA Transmissions.......thieving cunts they are

Gremlin
16th December 2015, 22:06
I got a nice used R1200GS with wire wheels & heaps of accessories
If it's a '10-'12 GS I want your wheels :D Need a spare set to run road and adv tyres... They cost a lot.

I'm most of the way there on adding up accessories and servicing.
2011: $12.2k
2012: $9.4k
2013: $4k
2014: $2.9k
2015: $3.8k

Ignorance is bliss they say... it was. I've spent $32k on a $35k bike. :crazy: If I added WOF and Rego, I've probably equalled the bike. :facepalm: Well, it is fun :sweatdrop (the riding, the spending just kinda happens as a side effect)

I'll give you $5 and a packet of Salt and Vinegar crisps for it...
Of course, given that the BMW has over 111k on it now (see all the costs spent on servicing etc above) it would be lucky to fetch $15-20k now. Probably not far off that value in a little while, but I don't intend on selling :bleh:

AllanB
16th December 2015, 22:20
It is a calculated risk and a lot has to do with how good/easy to understand workshop manuals are. The genuine Honda ones from the 70s and 80s were excellent. As far as I know Blue Wing Honda no longer imports genuine manuals for sale to the public and the next best thing is a Haynes manual. I have seen excellent video service tutorials on Youtube which offer a good substitute for a manual too.

I could not get a Honda manual for my 900 Hornet in NZ. Imported a factory one from the USA (well priced too) and it covered absolutely everything from opening the fuel cap to a full mechanical rebuild. Well illustrated and written.

G4L4XY
17th December 2015, 15:09
If it's a '10-'12 GS I want your wheels :D Need a spare set to run road and adv tyres... They cost a lot.

I'm most of the way there on adding up accessories and servicing.
2011: $12.2k
2012: $9.4k
2013: $4k
2014: $2.9k
2015: $3.8k

Ignorance is bliss they say... it was. I've spent $32k on a $35k bike. :crazy: If I added WOF and Rego, I've probably equalled the bike. :facepalm: Well, it is fun :sweatdrop (the riding, the spending just kinda happens as a side effect)

Of course, given that the BMW has over 111k on it now (see all the costs spent on servicing etc above) it would be lucky to fetch $15-20k now. Probably not far off that value in a little while, but I don't intend on selling :bleh:

I want your job

Gremlin
17th December 2015, 15:41
I want your job
No you don't. No kids/wife/gf means less drain on finances...

I have one vice, I just make it a big one :laugh:

jasonu
17th December 2015, 19:24
it made horrendous groaning/clunking noises and slipped like fuck....top of archers road coronation road intersection...if it wasn't for the fact it was downhill back to KASPAs i wouldn't of made it....
next CRC speedshow i'm thinking of having some t shirts printed up with Beagle Boys logo instead of their one and standing next to their display inviting people to ask me about my experience with KASPA Transmissions.......thieving cunts they are

Have you given them the chance to make it right? Or did they simply tell you to fuck off?

MarkH
19th December 2015, 07:38
For doing the work myself:
I'm willing to change the oil & filter on the ST1300, but most other tasks I'll leave to the bike shop.
On the DR650 I'll do a LOT more including changing tyres, removing the carby to clean and adjust, replacing chain & sprockets, etc.
There is a hell of a difference between the 2 bikes when it comes to looking at the engine, I'd rather work for a couple of weeks and pay a big bill with the money earned than tackle a complicated task on the ST.

vifferman
1st January 2016, 10:00
I've been lucky with bikes, but the potentially most expensive bills have been with cars: Peugeot 205 GTi had a top-end rebuild after we bought it, which cost over 5k (more than the car), then a few years later it needed another one, so we sold it to the mechanic.
My Passat has been better; it needed the rear suspension replaced, but after the fuckwit dealer tried to have me pay for it ($1500 in parts and the same in labour), I got onto the VW website, the GM of VWNZ rang me back and covered the whole cost. It was under warranty, after all. Then a few months out of warranty, I took it in for a routine service (at a better dealership), and to get a warning light checked out. It turned out to be some actiator in the inlet manifold which not uncommonly fails on many injected makes and models. Without even teling me, the service crew contacted VWNZ, and had all but $50 of the several thousand dollars of parts and labour covered by them and the dealership. Awesome service! I was so blown away that I bought the service crew a big chocolate cake.
It's amazing how dear parts are getting for bikes though; I usually buy parts off the web, as Bluewing Honda have a monopoly and NEVER carry any stock of even common parts, but recently I went to do this, (Partzilla, I think) and they were going to charge over US$90 for taxes and freight. So... I ordered them through Honda, and they took nearly a month to get here. For a few plastic trim clips, four fairing bolts and two small fairing brackets (smaller than a matchbox) cost me $106. And they're now all made in Taiwan! So the redonculously expensive bolts were noticeably shitter quality (poor chroming) and one of the brackets was painted (rather than plated like the originals), and despite looking better made, when I bolted it on, the alignment was out by about 4mm.

F5 Dave
1st January 2016, 21:08
Stop buying cars not made in Japan. Learn to spot a pattern. The French hate you, but not just you. it is personal and particularly you. And the Germans I guess, but that wasn't as expected.