PDA

View Full Version : Honda vs Yamaha, UJM vs Supersports

James Deuce
26th September 2005, 16:23
All motorcycles used to be like this. Comfy semi-forward canted ride position, controls that just fall to hand, and enough, just enough power to despatch the average sedan. Naked? Fairings are for race bikes and nancy, panty waisted tourers. Us motorcyclist like bugs in our teeth, and the feeling of freedom that the wind gives as it holds your torso up, leaving wrists and arms to counter slightly soggy suspension.

I’ve commuted and had a “sport” ride or two on the CB400 over the last week, and have been surprised to find that it still pushes the “motorcycle heap big fun” button, despite having less than 50% of the power of the R6, and suspension that merely stops the tyres from rubbing on the minimalist bodywork, let alone keeping the tyres in contact with the ground and internal organs located where they should be. 100km/hr feels like 200 and the noise the exposed engine makes is intoxicating, more a tiny F1 engine than a buzzing small cc screamer. I keep hitting the rev limiter at awkward moments though, fooled by the smoothness of the engine and the very slick gearbox.

I rode the R6 on Saturday, to gain a contrasting view after a week of commuting. The biggest shock was the riding position, though that feeling evaporates once you hit highway speeds. The single most surprising thing about the riding position, is how much the head down, bum up stance restricts your view of everything around you. Casual glances require thought to avoid twitching bars and steering into the lane next door and for those of us with dodgy necks and upper backs, strained muscles.

The CB400 generates a warm glow. Attacking a road requires a very different approach to the R6. Trail braking keeps the weight at the pointy end and a consistent steering head angle, where attempting to “flow” through corners makes the front rake out if you’re on the gas. This has the effect of slowing the steering part way through the corner and making you run wide on the exit. Good sight lines and a very late turn in are essential for this approach to work, and with practice can become 2nd nature.

The R6 on the other hand transcends such piffling details as changing geometry under braking and acceleration by countering the effects with quality suspension control. Where the CB400 is bouncing and pitching, the R6 wafts over the same imperfections without troubling its 7/10ths rider particularly much. The CB requires a considered approach to being ridden quickly, where the R6 demands that you ride hard enough to make its bits work correctly. I found myself being drawn back to a long forgotten world by the CB400, of desperately earned momentum, judicious braking, and bent throttle stops, with the odd “dodgy” overtake thrown into the bargain. Mind you mint green early ‘90s Porsche Carrera 2s should either be banned on taste grounds or driven a little bit harder than that. The R6 despatches Porsches with nary a blink, and the horizon almost as quickly. Maybe 2 blinks.

Funny thing is, both bikes make me smile. The CB400 produces an almost smug glow of dependability and a surety that thou art upon “reliable transport”. Not actually a bad thing when that’s what you bought it for. The R6 makes your hair spontaneously combust, and your smile isn’t so much a “happy, happy, joy, joy” expression, more a manic grimace with throbbing veins, a slightly bulging left eye, and a nervous tic that doesn’t go away when you stop riding it for at least a couple of days. Now if only I could find a single bike that does BOTH things for the psyche. Or a Government that registers the rider for the road, rather than the bike.

Pwalo
26th September 2005, 16:30
How right you are Jim. I absolutely love my GS for commuting, but there are times when a sportsbike would be just terrific. Must say I'm a bit jealous of your fleet.

I've often thought that I'd like to get something a bit faster/sprotier, but I think if I do I'll need to keep the GS as my daily commuter. The only thing is I'm not too sure if planning approval would be granted for two bikes so perhaps and SV650 or similar could be next.

Paul in NZ
26th September 2005, 17:34
At least you are evolving in the correct direction... We will have you on a Moto Guzzi soon..

Avignon
30th September 2005, 21:36
Both have their place, however ideally we would all have a fleet of bikes in our garage. A Uber Super Hyper Mega Sportbike, A Lazyboy Armchair Car on two wheels tourer, A Got lost in the dessert Dakar bike, A Townley Terror, A too cool for you so I wont wave back cruiser, A minibike, Scooter and all sorts of expensive exotica, oh and a host of classics too. But hell, in the real world the good old UJM does it all and doesn't cost the earth and are heaps more fun than cars, except when its hailing or icey on the roads.

skelstar
1st October 2005, 00:00
Nice write up Mr. 2. Ditto. :niceone:

Devil
1st October 2005, 10:02
Jim: Have you had a go on an FZ6? THe R6 engined one?
Took one for a blat the other day, quite a neat bike. Enough suspension (bugger all adjustment) but good handling, wicked raspy exhaust note and a hell of a lot of top end for a naked bike (Dunno why, but the sound reminded me of a jet ski :P).

Grease up to a dealer and take one for a blat to see what you think. Seems to be a good combination of the sports engine and more upright riding style.

I have made my decision on my next bike though, hopefully i'll be able to have it in the next week or so! Ruled out the full on sports because the back and neck cant take it, plus, as you described, the lack of vision bothers me.

James Deuce
1st October 2005, 10:21
Yep took the FZ6 at Sawyers out and got offered a very good price. If it had been an FZ6S with the fairing I would have bought it. The N model has been beaten so horribly with the ugly 2x4 with optional nail (tm) that it looks like a streetfighter repair carried out by a 12 year old girl, who's really into melting her Ken dolls. IMNSHO of course. The engine convinced me to try the R6 and I was sold, almost instantly.

I like the combo I've got. I always wanted a CB400/4 as a kid, but I suspect they would be a bit fragile for a daily runner, so I'm happy. The vision thing isn't a problem in normal traffic and weekend sport riding, just commuter density traffic.

TwoSeven
1st October 2005, 10:23
That pretty much sums up while I ride the krappisaki. Really dont enjoy riding sports bikes in town any more.

Devil
1st October 2005, 10:27
Yep took the FZ6 at Sawyers out and got offered a very good price. If it had been an FZ6S with the fairing I would have bought it. The N model has been beaten so horribly with the ugly 2x4 with optional nail (tm) that it looks like a streetfighter repair carried out by a 12 year old girl, who's really into melting her Ken dolls. IMNSHO of course. The engine convinced me to try the R6 and I was sold, almost instantly.

I like the combo I've got. I always wanted a CB400/4 as a kid, but I suspect they would be a bit fragile for a daily runner, so I'm happy. The vision thing isn't a problem in normal traffic and weekend sport riding, just commuter density traffic.
Yeah, I left out of my post all the reasons why I didnt like it :>
Silly looks, digital tacho not bold enough, seat wasn't comfortable (for me). and the whole thing buzzes all the way through the rev range, even cruising at 100km/h it was making my arse tingle.

Now...if I can just get my bike sold...

2_SL0
1st October 2005, 19:06
bbbaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, humbug, the FZ6 is a great bike. But I do agree with Jim about the fairing model, when I had my one the fairing model was not available in NZ. If it was, I would of taken it. I doubt I would of kept it any longer. The bike served its purpose for me. Very easy 6hundy to ride.

James Deuce
1st October 2005, 19:08
I was hoping I'd get away with that Kawagreen, given that you now have one of the sexy3sexy things.

Zapf
1st October 2005, 23:35

Hay Jim... thought about replacing the CB400 with a CB900 Hornet for daily running around? Think I am about to make that jump.... ur thoughts?

James Deuce
1st October 2005, 23:49
Hornet 900 is a fantastic bike. et al loves his, in his 2 dollar shop fashion, and his other bike is a Ducati.

Go for it. As a do everything bike you couldn't go wrong.

et al
1st October 2005, 23:57
Hornet 900 is a fantastic bike. et al loves his, in his 2 dollar shop fashion
Hey - I resemble that remark! :mellow:

SPORK
2nd October 2005, 00:09
Someone please enlighten me what "UJM" stands for. I hate those pesky TLAs...

et al
2nd October 2005, 00:12
Universal Jim2 Machine (or could be Universal Japanese Motorcycle).