PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GT250R 2010 weird noise, engine off, pushing forward?

dnasanders
17th December 2015, 12:57
Hi guys,

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to figuring out what is causing this noise.

Sounds like a loud vibration noise.
Happens only when in neutral.
Happens when the Engine is off, or On (in neutral).
Does not happen when in gear (Engine Running).
Only happens when bike is rolling forward, but not all of the time.
Holding the clutch in when noise is happening doesn't make a difference.

I have managed to capture the sound on video, can be viewed here:
http://www.dnasanders.co.nz/HyosungNoise.mp4

Sounds like it is coming from the back wheel area.
I checked, sprockets and chain - not loose.
I can feel a vibration in the pillion bars when moving it.
The chain guard is not rubbing against the chain.
Why only in neutral?? Engine is off.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Rhys
17th December 2015, 14:20
Tire isn't rubbing on the swing arm ?

flashg
17th December 2015, 19:14
It could be a wheel bearing, noticeable with the bikes weight on it while rolling. Might not hear it with wheel off the ground.
Or chain touching tyre maybe.

AllanB
17th December 2015, 19:33
You a vegetarian?

Sounds like one of those nancy Vegetarians or Vegans when they walk - all those bloody beans and vegetable make them fart with each step. Park thge bike and go for a walk - is the sound still there? If so, go eat a steak.

Big Dog
17th December 2015, 23:05
Have you pumped the sound up or is that the actual volume? Sounds like a chain dragging. But way too loud. Can you pull your front sprocket off and see if anything is rubbing?

If you have a short length of hose you can put one end up to your ear and move the other end around to isolate the sound.

Sent via tapatalk.

rambaldi
18th December 2015, 12:22
Have you pumped the sound up or is that the actual volume? Sounds like a chain dragging. But way too loud. Can you pull your front sprocket off and see if anything is rubbing?

If you have a short length of hose you can put one end up to your ear and move the other end around to isolate the sound.

Sent via tapatalk.

Just make sure it isn't down the exhaust first?

Big Dog
18th December 2015, 19:32
Just make sure it isn't down the exhaust first?
If that needs to be stated maybe natural selection isn't a bad thing?

Sent via tapatalk.

dnasanders
21st December 2015, 09:05
You a vegetarian?

Sounds like one of those nancy Vegetarians or Vegans when they walk - all those bloody beans and vegetable make them fart with each step. Park thge bike and go for a walk - is the sound still there? If so, go eat a steak.

LOL! No, I like to eat meat.

dnasanders
21st December 2015, 09:07
Thanks for your responses guys.

No I didn't increase the volume, its actually that loud.

I have found what is causing the noise.
http://dnasanders.co.nz/HyosungBrake.mp4

It's the rear brake caliper.

The brake pads seem to have a lot of wear left in them, so don't think its worn brake pads.

I tried to take the caliper off, but the bolts were too tight to undo with my small allen key.

Playing around with it seems to have made it better, but I should really take it off and give it a good clean.

I checked the wheel alignment and it seems straight, I even counted the threads on the swing arm to make sure there were the same on each side.

Has anyone encountered this before?
Is there any other maintenance I can do in this area?

Maybe when I'm in gear and the wheel is moving fast its not an issue, or my bike is too loud to care.

Cheers,
Dan

Big Dog
21st December 2015, 09:54
I am not a mechanic so follow my advice at your own peril... I would take the caliper off and give a good clean with a nylon brush and plenty of brake cleaner.
Observe for any debris the comes out at this time. I have never had that noise but my old gsx1100f stated humming at around 80kph. No odd noises otherwise. Turned out to be a stone under the inspection cap on the front right brake.
When you reassemble put some copper grease on your brake pad slides/pins. Most noises that I couldn't attribute to debris later proved to be the pads not returning evenly on release.

Sent via tapatalk.