PDA

View Full Version : SP-1 tuning mods

Deano
1st February 2004, 08:30
Has anyone had experience with k&n's, aftermarket exhausts and power commanders (or ECU's), and may be able to offer some advice. My SP-1 has k&n air filters (foam inserts still in) and Neptune cans. Since putting the Neptunes on the bike has developed a slight miss (hiccups) during the mid range power, with little load on the engine. It runs sweet at Manfeild, or anywhere that you give it a bit of a hiding, so generally most of the time it is ok.

Im assuming that the fuel ratio is now not quite right, and wondered if anyone has some advice on power commander maps to use, or whether a mod chip would be the go ?? I would like to eliminate the missfire, and hopefully get a bit more hp (despite the missus concerns).

Any advice appreciated.

wkid_one
1st February 2004, 13:42
Hard to not change the filters/pipes etc without having to remap the fueling.

Get it run on a dyno first - this will tell you what is wrong with it and what to fix. You are clutching at straws otherwise and unless you do the dyno - you are more than likely gonna switch one set of symptoms for another. More than likely you will want a jet kit etc to suit the fliters/pipes.

Ran the R1 on the dyno coz of the slip-on and the tweaks thereafter made a gr8 change

matthewt
1st February 2004, 15:28
Im assuming that the fuel ratio is now not quite right, and wondered if anyone has some advice on power commander maps to use, or whether a mod chip would be the go ?? I would like to eliminate the missfire, and hopefully get a bit more hp (despite the missus concerns).

A dyno run will as Wkid says will let you know what is really going on. Not sure who else in Wgtn has one but I know Motomart do. A chip is OK but only built for a specific map, so you could by one and then find it's only 80% right. The Power Commander is by far your best bet. It can be mapped to suit your bike 100% and then if you make and more mods later you just have to re-tune it. AMPS in Auck are the Dynojet importers and they have a Dynojet dyno with the software so their dyno can talk to the power commander and come up with a good map.

Deano
1st February 2004, 18:12
Thanks guys,

I saw that AMPS were the authorised dealer for the PC's and could customise a map to suit your bike and riding needs, which would probably be the best way to go, but I don't fancy a trip all that way - too many straight lines and a thin seat.

If I went to Motomart I guess it would it be a matter of playing with a few likely map combinations from the website on their dyno ?? Is this correct ??

Hey Matt, was that your 916 rego MM916 that I took out for a test ride in late 2002 ?

I tried that and the 748SP but went for the VTR SP-1 after owning an SS900 and forking out too many $$$ for maintenance.

The SP-1 is also much more fun at Manfeild open days. Rock on. :Punk:

matthewt
1st February 2004, 20:09
Thanks guys,
If I went to Motomart I guess it would it be a matter of playing with a few likely map combinations from the website on their dyno ?? Is this correct ??

They could download one of the maps as a starting point, then put it on the dyno and adjust the differences. You don't need the fancy Dynojet gear to adjust the PC (it just makes it easier). In fact with a laptop and Dyno it should be fairly straightforward.

Hey Matt, was that your 916 rego MM916 that I took out for a test ride in late 2002 ?

Nope, never owned a Ducati. Brought the MV Agusta after 3 years on a fireblade.

Hope this helps.