PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a Suzuki Gladius SV400 - help!

joGr
30th December 2015, 16:23
Hi, I am new to motorbiking and quite a short lady. I need to lower my Gladius but cannot locate where to get a lowering kit. Would it be the same as for an sv650? My bike is a 2012 Japanese import. Grateful for any advice ☺

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

FJRider
30th December 2015, 16:31
Hi, I am new to motorbiking and quite a short lady. I need to lower my Gladius but cannot locate where to get a lowering kit. Would it be the same as for an sv650? My bike is a 2012 Japanese import. Grateful for any advice ☺

Have you tried wearing thicker soled boots ...??

joGr
30th December 2015, 16:33
Have you tried wearing thicker soled boots ...??
I thought about that too, but would need platforms ha ha! I just need to source the correct lowering kit.

FJRider
30th December 2015, 16:36
I thought about that too, but would need platforms ha ha! I just need to source the correct lowering kit.

Are you riding it ... or is it too tall for you to ride .. ???

joGr
30th December 2015, 16:47
Are you riding it ... or is it too tall for you to ride .. ???
Am riding it, but am on tip toes.

FJRider
30th December 2015, 16:53
Am riding it, but am on tip toes.

Have you figured out how much lower it needs to be to be comfortable for you .. ???

what footwear do you wear when riding ... ???

joGr
30th December 2015, 16:57
Have you figured out how much lower it needs to be to be comfortable for you .. ???

A couple of cm would work I think, I don't need to be flat footed, just get the balls of my feet down.

joGr
30th December 2015, 16:58

Boots are rst raptor 2

FJRider
30th December 2015, 17:05
Boots are rst raptor 2

Their soles are not that thick. Borrow a thicker heeled set of footwear and see what difference it makes.

Also ... place a one centimeter thick flat board either side of the bike and see how it feels.

joGr
30th December 2015, 17:10
Their soles are not that thick. Borrow a thicker heeled set of footwear and see what difference it makes.

Also ... place a one centimeter thick flat board either side of the bike and see how it feels.
Good idea! Will try that. Thanks 😊

AllanB
30th December 2015, 18:32
Internet will supply them. However, if lowering the rear you should lower the front a corresponding amount to keep the handling the same. Thus limiting the amount you can lower it and keep the bikes good handling. Plus obviously ground clearance will be reduced. Front end lowering has limits - often in the fork design (clamping area) and obviously the clearance between wheel/radiator/engine is reduced.

I am unsure with the Gladioli but some models of bikes have adjustable seats (Google). Alternatively there are good auto trimmers in NZ that will be able to knock a couple of cm out of the seat easily.

Flat footing is not a necessity but certainly more confidence inspiring for a learner.

A alternative is to call a suspension expert and see if they can shorten the shock.

nzspokes
30th December 2015, 18:44
You can use lowering links but it does bad things to suspension action. 20mm off the seat and extra 10mm added to your soles may well do the trick. If you are in Auckland I can recommend places for both jobs.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

AllanB
30th December 2015, 19:06
If you are doing the seat also look at the possibility of narrowing it a cm or more each side where you lower your legs. The Suzuki should be a narrow bike by design (V 2) but if the seat is wide it will splay your legs out.

My Ducati has a tall seat and my legs are not the longest in town .... but it is a very narrow bike so reach is acceptable for me.

Or get a groin lifting done - however that would be very expensive and bloody painful!

AllanB
30th December 2015, 19:12
The other thing about lowering the suspension to consider is the side stand - it will need to be shortened as well or the bike will sit upright on the stock stand.

I presume it physically matches the 650 and is just a Jap market sleeve jobbie to make it a 400? If so lowering links and the like will be available ex USA - be weary of questionable quality cheap Chinese ones. You'll need to do you homework if going down this path. If it is the same set up as the 650 then there will no doubt be good info online if you Google lowering the 650 ....

IMO - start with the seat.

F5 Dave
2nd January 2016, 07:15
Back off preload, drop forks down a little and what nzspokes sez. Try get away from lowering links, they are a bodge, but you can do a little here and there with tall soles and seat rework.

Grashopper
2nd January 2016, 08:19
These might be an idea:

http://www.fc-moto.de/Daytona-Lady-Star-GORE-TEX/en

They give you 2.5 cm more in the heal and 0.8 cm at the front. There are other similar boots from Daytona, too. Haven't so far seen other boots that are made with thicker soles.

I've had a quick search over NZ pages and here they cost about twice as much...

Has anyone tried just putting a thicker sole on their usual boots? How did that work out?

nzspokes
2nd January 2016, 08:28
These might be an idea:

They give you 2.5 cm more in the heal and 0.8 cm at the front. There are other similar boots from Daytona, too. Haven't so far seen other boots that are made with thicker soles.

I've had a quick search over NZ pages and here they cost about twice as much...

Has anyone tried just putting a thicker sole on their usual boots? How did that work out?

My beloved has and it works well.

Daffyd
2nd January 2016, 16:31
These might be an idea:

They give you 2.5 cm more in the heal and 0.8 cm at the front.

It's a HEEL.

F5 Dave
2nd January 2016, 19:13
What if it gets better?

boman
2nd January 2016, 19:13
You can get them lowered. My partner had one done for her.

We got it done through MR Motorcycles in Pukekohe. Also dropped the front end through the triple trees up to the handle bars. This made the bike lower.

But after a couple of years she hated the way it handled so we sold it and bought a Ducati Monster 696 that fits better and you do not have to lower.

pete-blen
5th January 2016, 07:34
have someone look at setting the surspension... if you are as small as yer say you are prob
quite light aswell.. so the bike might be sitting higher than it should with you seated...
Have the "sags" set you could well lose 25mm or so when seated...

PrincessBandit
8th January 2016, 22:02
Gemmels in Symonds Street put inserts and new soles on my boots. Best thing I did as it was much easier than farting around changing everything on my bike. Having said that, I got the seat done only a few weeks after buying it (7 years ago). I'm 5'1