PDA

View Full Version : Trucking a cabin?

Big Dog
1st January 2016, 18:25
Does anyone know how / who to call to get a cabin picked up from West Auckland and delivered to Tuakau?
Must be on the 6th Jan.

Sent via tapatalk.

Moi
1st January 2016, 18:56
Is there a trucking company in your area with a truck with a hiab on it?

Grumph
1st January 2016, 19:00
Hire a car trailer with a winch. I've moved two quite big cabins like this....

Big Dog
1st January 2016, 19:09
We're they on skids?

Sent via tapatalk.

boman
1st January 2016, 19:15
Does anyone know how / who to call to get a cabin picked up from West Auckland and delivered to Tuakau?
Must be on the 6th Jan.

Sent via tapatalk.

Knight and Dickey Ltd?

They are based in Waiuku. They may be able to help.

Grumph
2nd January 2016, 06:42
We're they on skids?

Sent via tapatalk.

Just a couple of bearers underneath. If you can jack it up enough to get a couple of rollers under it, you can move it around to where you can get it to the winch. You'd be surprised how far you can move something with rollers and a mofo big crowbar...
Rollers don't have to be anything fancy either. On concrete, pipe around 1in dia upwards works. On rough ground, a couple or three round posts works.

Waihou Thumper
2nd January 2016, 07:29
Just a couple of bearers underneath. If you can jack it up enough to get a couple of rollers under it, you can move it around to where you can get it to the winch. You'd be surprised how far you can move something with rollers and a mofo big crowbar...
Rollers don't have to be anything fancy either. On concrete, pipe around 1in dia upwards works. On rough ground, a couple or three round posts works.

Worked for the Egyptians didn't it :) ' cept the crow bar bit....:facepalm:

BMWST?
2nd January 2016, 08:23
if it is a small cabin that is meant to be moved a decent hiab truck will do it as above.If its something bigger try a proper building relocator.You may have some trouble getting anything done on the 6th.All the trucks will probably be flat stick moving stuff for the first couple of days of the new business year.

Reckless
2nd January 2016, 12:36
Hiab Transport they have 4x4 trucks for this shitty weather to :) Have used them a but in the building industry.

http://www.hiabtransport.co.nz/

Big Dog
2nd January 2016, 14:43
Some good leads there. I'll try ringing around as soon as the public holidays burn out. Not holding my breath but an opportunity exists that only exists if I can collect on the 6th.

Sent via tapatalk.

Grubber
2nd January 2016, 19:50
Hate to be the bearer of slightly, might be, bad news.
Being in the industry i can tell you without a word of a lie you will probably have more luck ordering a helicopter drop of lollipops on the day than getting a hiab. That date wont be very conducive to your needs as far as a truck being spare goes.
Sorry but it is what it is!:rolleyes:

Tazz
2nd January 2016, 19:55
Rollers and trailer it is ;)

Took 4 builders around the corner here to fuck about moving a 100-150kg safe. Jeweller here moved 3.5t one into the shop, by himself :laugh:

Where there's a will there's a way. You can do eeet!

Grumph
2nd January 2016, 20:47
Rollers and trailer it is ;)

Took 4 builders around the corner here to fuck about moving a 100-150kg safe. Jeweller here moved 3.5t one into the shop, by himself :laugh:

Where there's a will there's a way. You can do eeet!

Funny you should mention jewellers...friend's dad was a jeweller whose hobby was machine tools - BIG machine tools.
We cleared out his storage space and workshop which was down a tight drive by moving the stuff out to where a hiab could reach it.
Included a pretty big lathe and an enormous russian pantograph copying mill weighing at a guess at least 1 1/2 ton.
Rollers and a couple of crowbars, and who says the egyptians didn't have the crowbars ? probably rusted away in the intervening millennia - or as usually happens, a mate "borrowed" them....

Big Dog
3rd January 2016, 01:42
I am certainly not expecting miracles this time of year.

Our should that be I am counting on one?

Sent via tapatalk.

Tazz
3rd January 2016, 17:06
Funny you should mention jewellers...friend's dad was a jeweller whose hobby was machine tools - BIG machine tools.
We cleared out his storage space and workshop which was down a tight drive by moving the stuff out to where a hiab could reach it.
Included a pretty big lathe and an enormous russian pantograph copying mill weighing at a guess at least 1 1/2 ton.
Rollers and a couple of crowbars, and who says the egyptians didn't have the crowbars ? probably rusted away in the intervening millennia - or as usually happens, a mate "borrowed" them....

Must be a jeweller thing. Murray has a bit of a lathe fetish too and built a room in the current shop specifically for a decent sized one. Again, moved it in by himself after the truck dumped it on the footpath outside :laugh: When we were moving off the wharf in Akaroa we managed to have a 2t one drop through the wooden ramp, otherwise for the size and 'danger' he's had a good run.

Big Dog
4th January 2016, 17:45
Starting to look a little bit like we are in the too hard basket for the specified day. Thanks for the feedback though.

I'm guessing 2.7 wide is too wide to tow on a rental trailer?

Sent via tapatalk.

caspernz
4th January 2016, 18:39
Yeah mate, only us "essential services fellas" make them wheels turn over the festive season...or as we say, the petrol must get thru!

Tom Ryan, Swanson Trans, CV Compton or Crane & Cartage come to mind, but the time of year is against you.

Akzle
4th January 2016, 18:41
Starting to look a little bit like we are in the too hard basket for the specified day. Thanks for the feedback though.

Sent via tapatalk.

nope. Oversize is 3.1 or 3.2, as long as you have flags out, your sweet.

Gremlin
4th January 2016, 19:49
Essentially, correct

NZTA Towing Guide: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing.html#overhanging
Light trailer factsheet: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/13d/docs/13d-trailers-light-simple.pdf

There are other details in overdimension loads, vehicles etc.

Big Dog
4th January 2016, 22:10
Yeah mate, only us "essential services fellas" make them wheels turn over the festive season...or as we say, the petrol must get thru!

Tom Ryan, Swanson Trans, CV Compton or Crane & Cartage come to mind, but the time of year is against you.
Il give them a bell but a bit of a hail Mary I think.

Sent via tapatalk.

Big Dog
4th January 2016, 22:14
nope. Oversize is 3.1 or 3.2, as long as you have flags out, your sweet.
I am a bit more worried about strapping 2 ton? And rowing it behind a bighornthat is only 1.8 ish wide

Sent via tapatalk.

Big Dog
4th January 2016, 22:14
Essentially, correct

NZTA Towing Guide: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing.html#overhanging
Light trailer factsheet: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/13d/docs/13d-trailers-light-simple.pdf

There are other details in overdimension loads, vehicles etc.

I'll try and digest that in the morning.

Sent via tapatalk.

Akzle
4th January 2016, 22:47
I am a bit more worried about strapping 2 ton? And rowing it behind a bighornthat is only 1.8 ish wide

Sent via tapatalk.

the 3.1? She'll do it

...slowly.

R650R
5th January 2016, 20:32
Sorry to busy to post earlier.... But another option is to just get it uplifted and stored/held at a depot. Eg an operator might be doing a job out that way and have time to pick it up but not go all way to Tuakau but they could haul it back to their yard etc....

Big Dog
5th January 2016, 23:14
Thanks for all tye suggestions.
Couldn't quite get all the pieces to line up in time. Someone else got the bargain instead.

Sent via tapatalk.