PDA

View Full Version : demo new bike ???

TerminalAddict
27th September 2005, 10:17
Well my wife is on the horizon of letting me write a cheque for $7000 :Punk:

couple 'o' questions.
Where can I find a virago to take for a spin? all of the new dealers don't have a demo to ride ... maybe not all
I've been to red baron, and to waikato yamaha.
sat on one and like it so far, but would like to ride one to the end of the block and back, just to get the feel of the foot controls.

Interesting week anyway :)
wife say, fucken bikes.
wife says, not fucken sitting on that !! (pointing at a zxr)
wife says buy that and I'll sit on it (pointing at a xv250)
wife says don't buy that piece of shit old crapper (pointing at old xv)
me says "so I buy a new one?"
wife says ... mmmmm ....
me looks like :shifty:

The Stranger
27th September 2005, 10:39
Ah I see an excuse for a ride to Hamilton.

I have an 04 XV250 for sale. If you like I shall and try and talk CaN2 into riding it to Hamilton so you can take it for a ride.

Actually, that probably means that I will wind up on the Yamaha and she on the Blackbird, still it's a ride anyway.

Let me know if you are interested.

TerminalAddict
27th September 2005, 10:44
quite possibly.
and infact .. if you're not busy during the day (work days) can I tempt you into a ride to Auckland airport where I work ?? :)

The Stranger
27th September 2005, 10:47
Hmm, I'm not busy by day, but the fact is I am meant to be.
Will PM you.

TerminalAddict
27th September 2005, 10:48
bahahaha .. I notice your profile says nerd .... sound like my job.
meant to be busy but spent 3 hours at red baron yesterday :D

zadok
27th September 2005, 10:49
That's the spirit. At least the wife likes the newer XV, by the sounds of it. Sounds like an offer too good to refuse.

Waylander
27th September 2005, 12:16
This is what happens when I read posts tired. Didn't see that you had allready been into Waikato Yamaha.

Did they not let you take it for a test ride? Strange....

TerminalAddict
1st October 2005, 11:33
well a very interesting week.
1 day everything is good.
The next day everything is off .. and I'm not allowed to do anything.

On friday I had to back out of a deal with CaN because I lacked WAF (wife approval factor)

This morning she drags me out bed and looky looky

shit I hope the weather is good tomorrow

zadok
1st October 2005, 11:43
That wife of yours is a living doll! :niceone:

Matt Bleck
1st October 2005, 11:56
Good on her!!

Looks like you might be riding more than ya bike thou, aye?? :whistle:

crashe
1st October 2005, 12:16
Welcome to the Virago club..... :spudwave:
Another one has joined our mist.... WOHOO

They are really lovely to ride.... remember that when you take corners, not to ride it like the sportbike riders do...

They are really great bikes.... I have had my bike now for over 5 years...
Expect to spend up to 5 hours washing, polishing and chrome cleaning her.
Go down to the local $2 shop and buy a packet of 5 toothbrushes... that helps to get into the small places and also help to clean the rims and spokes with Autosole for chrome.

One little tip I can offer is if you get caught out in the rain, that when you get home and put the bike in the garage.... have some old towels to wipe her dry... that helps to stop the rust appearing. Then when dry the bike looks sparkling clean....

Time to put up what bike you ride now....^

Waylander
1st October 2005, 17:09
What she said.:headbang::done:

TerminalAddict
1st October 2005, 19:35
Welcome to the Virago club.....
Time to put up what bike you ride now....^

as Bart Simpson once said ..

Today I am a God

:apumpin:

TerminalAddict
1st October 2005, 19:44
Good on her!!

Looks like you might be riding more than ya bike thou, aye?? :whistle:

ha ha ha :)

although tonight I'm thinking I might sleep in the lounge

Matt Bleck
1st October 2005, 21:19
ha ha ha :)

although tonight I'm thinking I might sleep in the lounge

good idea, just in case she gets lonely. :niceone:

TerminalAddict
2nd October 2005, 18:30
well day 2
It been raining all day, and I had a night of movies .. my kids are away so I caught up on all the scary movies that I can't watch coz they bitch and moan that they can't watch them.
The result is I feel like I'd been on the booze all night, when infact I had only been on the booze until about 3am :) ... so this morning looking at the weather, and feeling like a sack full of hammers was bouncing round in head, I decide to skip the 1st day of ownership ride :crybaby:

After rubbing my gear down with dubin (after getting hell wet riding home from the shop yesterday) and after a wee afternoon kip (a nana nap :) ) the weather seemed to look like it was clearing.

Quick gear up, and I'm off .. headed to hamilton (about 15-20 kms away)

First impressions:
I really need to work on my "first gear" handling skills.
The XV doesn't feel as stable at 100 as the sprots bike I've ridden. it feels a bit exposed to the wind, and I feel a bit of sideways movement occassionly at 100.
No rev counter means I'm still riding in my head (trying figure out whens a good time to change) instead of riding through my arse, and ignoring the gauges.
Also without all those revs of an inline 4, I kinda felt a bit chunky changing up.
The gear lever is slightly difficult to change up. It maybe that I have new boots that need breaking in, but I have to make a conscience effort to hook my toe under the gear lever. I noticed this yesterday when I was riding home from the shop wearing steel toes, and made a mental note not to wear my steelies until I'm a little more comfortable, but perhaps I just need to learn to ride some more :)
I can feel the arse slipping around on the gravel at30kms, but I felt totally cool about it, and not the slightest bit nervous .. that's cool :) (I live on a gravel road that's 1.5 kms long)
Countersteering is still a decision rather than second nature.

That's about it.
The shop guy told to go "real easy" on the new tyres, especially in the wet. That made me a bit nervous, and I don't think I went over 80kms on any corner. I think a day in the sun might do me the world of good when it comes to trust in my rubber :)

All in all bloody fantastic ... can't wait for the next oportunity :) hope like hell it not raining next weekend.

T.A.

Magua
2nd October 2005, 18:46
Sounds like fun. :niceone:
Get in some practice then come join some Kiwibiker rides.

Waylander
2nd October 2005, 18:50
So when you bringing it to town so I can squiz a look see?

TerminalAddict
2nd October 2005, 19:05
so when you back in town then .. still away workin in dorkland I'm guessing :)

Waylander
2nd October 2005, 19:13
Nah that didnt happen. They filled all the spots before I was certain to have a place to stay for the whole project.

crashe
2nd October 2005, 19:25
You can get the gear lever adjusted to suit you.
But you will get used to it.. as it is set out different from a sportsbike.

REMEMBER to NOT take the corners like a sportbike...
DON'T lean into the corner. Let the bike take you around it.
Just look ahead of you and the bike does the work.

Maybe when the weather fines up maybe we could get all the Virago riders together for a ride.. as there are a few up here in Auckland /Orewa and also in down in Hamilton.

Monsterbishi
2nd October 2005, 20:37
The shop guy told to go "real easy" on the new tyres, especially in the wet. That made me a bit nervous, and I don't think I went over 80kms on any corner. I think a day in the sun might do me the world of good when it comes to trust in my rubber :)

Fortunately for you, your 1.5km of gravel will scrub the tyres in double quick time, meaning it's gonna be half as long as normal before you can go nuts on them :-)