PDA

View Full Version : Sad Kat with rego on hold

meowmix
3rd January 2016, 14:05
Suzuki Katana 550 1981 (tel:550 1981)

Poor old thing. Due to the live plate it might be ideal for someone who already has one or two of these in the paddock already. Move your running lump (and other bits, see below) in to this frame and be legal beagle.

The good:
Has a plate
Front wheel bearings replaced about 1,000 kms ago
Brakes were stripped and rebuilt around the same time, but due to sitting for a couple of years might need another go
Replaced clutch springs
Centre stand and side stand
Full engine seal set included, but head gasket has been used
Can also throw in a copper head gasket - if you can anneal it properly it might work great
Gearbox was always solid, never popped out
Brand new Motobatt battery, which I'd like to recoup the cost of if nothing else, $85 or so
Sat for 14 years in a shed before I got my mitts on it

The middle:
Has generic aftermarket mufflers which work well, nice and quiet with that cool reverse taper tip, but the thin chrome has been attacked by moisture. Paint them?

The bad:
Speedo needle snapped so there's a replacement on it reading 0 kms. Matched the spec so should work properly on the road
Tank paint was stripped off and had some clear, which obviously didn't work out too well
Tank has a dent about the size of a plum
Seat has some wear, but pretty good for age. Mainly the edges of the steel base giving out
Rear shocks are glorified springs now and occasionally seize in a semi compressed state. I could park up and hear it pop back to normal half an hour later

The bad: Engine subsection
Cyl 4 oils so bad it fouls the plug within a couple of minutes.
I suspect it might be a broken ring and excessive blow-by, and have a cyl and Pistons from an 82 spare. These have been lightly honed and should be ready for transplant. Also might be the valve stem seals, which I have in the engine seal set.
This developed over a couple of months, but before that it ran really nicely. Could pass my mates M900 (before he fixed the carbs).
Speaking of carbs they are mostly disassembled and will need a thorough clean due to sitting for some time.

Theres probably more. I have a couple of pictures, mind the mess, it's in the corner of the shed.
Any offer considered, pickup in Whangarei. Rolls well and front lever will stop it.

Katman
3rd January 2016, 16:03
Does it have the original silver on black rego plate?

jellywrestler
3rd January 2016, 16:33
what breed of plum?

AllanB
3rd January 2016, 18:21
The 550 was a sweet Suzuki engine.

Was not a real Katana though ...........

OK technically it muyst be one as it was named so by Suzuki. But that was their marketing department who raped the glorious name for the sake of global sales. Which after all was their job. But still .......

Katman
3rd January 2016, 19:52
The 550 was a sweet Suzuki engine.

Was not a real Katana though ...........

OK technically it muyst be one as it was named so by Suzuki. But that was their marketing department who raped the glorious name for the sake of global sales. Which after all was their job. But still .......

The 550s and 650s are most certainly original Katanas.

Don't go confusing them with Teapots.

T.W.R
3rd January 2016, 23:09
The 550s and 650s are most certainly original Katanas.

Only the 650 was debuted along side the 1100 at the cologne show, the 550 a year later.

Katman
4th January 2016, 13:00
Only the 650 was debuted along side the 1100 at the cologne show, the 550 a year later.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

The 1981-82 550, 650, 750, 1000 and 1100 models are all considered 'original' Katanas.

pritch
4th January 2016, 13:50
Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Getting into an argument with Katman about Katanas might be a lost cause. :whistle:

jellywrestler
4th January 2016, 14:07
Yes, I well aware of that.

The 1981-82 550, 650, 750, 1000 and 1100 models are all considered 'original' Katanas.

so what about the 'D''s then with the orginal bodywork but the 16 inch wheels?

RDJ
4th January 2016, 14:15
Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Getting into an argument with Katman about Katanas might be a lost cause. :whistle:

Oh, verily, yes.

But would it be a spectator sport?

meowmix
5th January 2016, 09:25
Does it have the original silver on black rego plate?

Hi Katman, unfortunately no, that plate died. It has a new one, A7GBC.

I don't know my plum breeds but an equally obscure comparison would be the meaty thumb pad bit of your hand. Or about 5cm diameter. It's in the black painted section, near the seat and slightly to the right of centre.

As for whether it's a real Katana or not, I think they're somewhere in the middle. It's got a funky tank, but a plain round headlamp. Didn't really rock the bike world like the biggest brother did.

I forgot to mention I bought a brand new Motobatt battery for it a couple of weeks ago, which I'd like to recoup the cost of if nothing else, $85 or so.

Banni
2nd February 2016, 18:40
Hi there, I have a project bike that I'm working on and this would be an ideal donor. Give me a txt on 0277562134
-Jonas

meowmix
22nd February 2016, 07:35
I was hoping to avoid the wicked cost of TradeMe, given the low price, but looks like I'll have to list it there.
No small Katana fans out there want a parts bike?

Tofu
21st March 2016, 22:01
Still got the Kat? I'm keen for a bit of a winter project!