PDA

View Full Version : This can't be possible

RDJ
8th January 2016, 17:41
It must be from The Onion

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-police-chief-commissioner-graham-ashton-caught-speeding-20160108-gm20vx.html

The police know so much better than us, shurely?

EJK
8th January 2016, 18:16
108kph?! He's crazy!!!

Daffyd
8th January 2016, 18:42
A lapse in concentration? He was stupid enough to take his eyes off the speedo to see where he was going...

J.A.W.
8th January 2016, 18:43
It must be from The Onion

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-police-chief-commissioner-graham-ashton-caught-speeding-20160108-gm20vx.html

The police know so much better than us, shurely?

Seems unlikely.. that a Commisar's company car wouldn't have cruise control..

Likely he was clocked at 148 km/h.. & got a 'staff discount' of 40 odd..

jasonu
8th January 2016, 18:49
How is he still alive???

WristTwister
8th January 2016, 18:51
:spanking::spanking::spanking:

Ocean1
8th January 2016, 19:01
"Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Doug Fryer said it was concerning how many people thought it was OK to speed, after 7651 drivers were caught breaking the limit during a holiday road blitz."

Shouldn't he be more concerned that if 7651 drivers thought he was wrong then he probably is?

F5 Dave
8th January 2016, 19:55
He should be rogered with some rusty fence pailing. But not for committing the crime, but for being such a sanctimonious prick.

pritch
8th January 2016, 20:37
Whoever gave him the ticket will be on points duty for the rest of his career.

swbarnett
8th January 2016, 21:24
"Maintaining focus on the roads at all times is critical"

Constantly monitoring your speedo is not "Maintaining focus on the roads at all times"

What a fucking hypocrite.

awa355
8th January 2016, 22:14
He may well have been responding to an emergency :rolleyes::rolleyes: We'll never know.

Berries
8th January 2016, 22:45
Hypocrite. Victoria, the centre of the local road safety universe and now their top cop gets done for speeding, from a fixed camera no less. Should get double demerits for being blind.

Time and place etc etc etc.

Drew
9th January 2016, 06:26
Right you fucking morons spouting about concentrating on the road rather than the speedo, listen up.

The LIMIT is a fixed number at any given point, you are expected to have sufficient control of your vehicle so as not to exceed it. A quick glance from time to time is all that is required to do so. If you constantly find during that glance that your speed has crept over said limit, it is expected that you lower your target speed to compensate.

On a trip lasting 1 to 2 hours (longer than most car trips), lowering your target speed 5kph to 95kph equates to a 3 to 6 minute increase in drive time. In New Zealand however, it's impossibly to drive for an hour at 100kph. So the average drops and that 5kph under 100kph equates to even less than 3 minutes.

Dumb fucks, shouldn't be on the fucking road if this is too complex anyway.

swbarnett
9th January 2016, 07:10
Right you fucking morons spouting about concentrating on the road rather than the speedo, listen up.

The LIMIT is a fixed number at any given point, you are expected to have sufficient control of your vehicle so as not to exceed it. A quick glance from time to time is all that is required to do so. If you constantly find during that glance that your speed has crept over said limit, it is expected that you lower your target speed to compensate.

On a trip lasting 1 to 2 hours (longer than most car trips), lowering your target speed 5kph to 95kph equates to a 3 to 6 minute increase in drive time. In New Zealand however, it's impossibly to drive for an hour at 100kph. So the average drops and that 5kph under 100kph equates to even less than 3 minutes.

You or I may be able to achieve this but the general driving public simply doesn't have the training necessary. Even if I believed the sanctimonious crap spouted about some magic number I'd far rather the average driver was above it and concentrating on the road than below it and not.

F5 Dave
9th January 2016, 09:54
I know you're just trolling Drew. But don't be trying to claim you are our intellectual superior. It's laughable.

bogan
9th January 2016, 10:00

You forgot to factor in relativity, and boredom. Both of which make a trip go faster if you do...

Drew
9th January 2016, 10:55
I know you're just trolling Drew. But don't be trying to claim you are our intellectual superior. It's laughable.

What part of what I said do you think is a claim of intellectual superiority? That I called people morons perhaps? You could focus on that instead of the point I tried to make, but it kind of cements the statement.

I'm not overly bright, but I don't claim to be. I was not trolling, I was stating facts and presenting a different point of view to all those talking shit about concentration levels.

Laugh away though, failure to grasp a simple concept through spite is quite funny after all.

Big Dog
9th January 2016, 12:57
I agree Drew. If you don't have sufficient appreciation of are you speeding or not without constantly checking your speedo you are either distracted or in need of more practice at it.

I admit I have surprised myself with my speed a few times but always when I have been distracted from the task of driving. Usually the speedo reading is within 5km of my guestimation.

Sent via tapatalk.

RGVforme
9th January 2016, 13:38
I agree Drew. If you don't have sufficient appreciation of are you speeding or not without constantly checking your speedo you are either distracted or in need of more practice at it.

I admit I have surprised myself with my speed a few times but always when I have been distracted from the task of driving. Usually the speedo reading is within 5km of my guestimation.

Sent via tapatalk.

Yep agree Drew does have a good point.Pity it was ruined by poor execution at the start.

Prob sits at home alone wondering where he went wrong with the Ex when most of his statements to her/him started with"Listen up bitch this is the way it is":crazy: lol.

Drew
9th January 2016, 14:41
Yep agree Drew does have a good point.Pity it was ruined by poor execution at the start.

Prob sits at home alone wondering where he went wrong with the Ex when most of his statements to her/him started with"Listen up bitch this is the way it is":crazy: lol.
Hahahahaha, something like that.

ElCoyote
9th January 2016, 15:06

So my repeated Auckland to Wellington (Rtn) trips in 6:30 are figments of my imagination. Where did Moir's learn to drive/ride, Kowkopanui?

R650R
9th January 2016, 15:18

That's excatlcy the bullshit spouted by ltsa/AA and other people who don't actually regularly drive decent distances over the same journey often enough to measure the HUGE difference.

Eg in a linehaul truck travelling from Hawke's bay to Auckland the Real World difference 4km/h makes is a good half an hour at least but on paper its 'only' 13 minutes. The maths is at 90k your doing 1.5km's a minute, at 94k (typical real world operation on cruise control inside enforcement tolerances) your doing 1.56km's a minute. Only 60metres or three truck lengths a minute the safety gurus cry!

But in the real world that lost time and distance is the difference between being at the right passing opportunity when catching slow traffic. Its getting to the fuel bowser instead of being qued up bwhind the other trucks that went 4 k faster. Its getting your coffee/icecream in the servo before the fatty with 6 kids and the credit declined card holds up the que in the shop. Its getting to the roadworks stop and go whole its still green etc......

Every little bit counts when you need to efficiently and safely be somewhere in a timely manner. And when you take into account actual average speed over a typical journey described above varies from 81-65 km/h depending on payload then the loss of maximum safe legal speed impacts the journey to an even greater degree.

RDJ
9th January 2016, 15:32
Every little bit counts when you need to efficiently and safely be somewhere in a timely manner. And when you take into account actual average speed over a typical journey described above varies from 81-65 km/h depending on payload then the loss of maximum safe legal speed impacts the journey to an even greater degree.

This. There is a significant difference between keyboard motorcycling and realworld motorcycling - but the resident trolls have no comprehension thereof. Which, they being trolls, is understandable if not excusable.

Those of us who have to work for a living and for whom travel is a cost, not a luxury, are well aware. Trolls - they're just waiting for the next government paycheque. And then they lash out because they know they are impotent spongers and they cannot stand it.

Daffyd
9th January 2016, 16:39

You may be right, but the average, (and below average,) driver is so shit scared of getting a ticket he spends more time watching his speedo than the road.

Drew
9th January 2016, 20:12
So my repeated Auckland to Wellington (Rtn) trips in 6:30 are figments of my imagination. Where did Moir's learn to drive/ride, Kowkopanui?I make that trip regularly.

This. There is a significant difference between keyboard motorcycling and realworld motorcycling - but the resident trolls have no comprehension thereof. Which, they being trolls, is understandable if not excusable.

Those of us who have to work for a living and for whom travel is a cost, not a luxury, are well aware. Trolls - they're just waiting for the next government paycheque. And then they lash out because they know they are impotent spongers and they cannot stand it.

I drive and ride Wellington Aukland a lot. I'm not trolling, I'm just telling it like it is.

pritch
10th January 2016, 08:56

Pure gold! The tone of Drew's posts seems to have undergone a change recently, I was wondering if he's changed his meds?

ellipsis
10th January 2016, 09:25
...my old 60 Series develops key rattle and the steering column cover squeaks at anything over 95k, so that is the speed I stay at most of the time...nearly all my driving is on the highway and generally most trips are of more than sixty k's...I get to the end of my journey around about the same time as the traffic that scoots past at 110-120 kph on the earlier parts of the drive...they all seem to be stacked up at the first set of lights we all come across just outside the city...Drew is correct according to my observations...the rules are slightly different when I'm on the bike...

Drew
10th January 2016, 10:12
Pure gold! The tone of Drew's posts seems to have undergone a change recently, I was wondering if he's changed his meds?

I don't get as fucked off any more. People saying 5kph making a half hour difference in drive time over 50km is pretty retarded though.

Ocean1
10th January 2016, 10:36
I don't get as fucked off any more. People saying 5kph making a half hour difference in drive time over 50km is pretty retarded though.

Unless the average speed is 25kph.

Which it regularly is up the Kapiti coast.

In which case a 5kph increase in speed gives you half an hour of your life back before Waikanae.

Madness
10th January 2016, 10:46
In which case a 5kph increase in speed gives you half an hour of your life back before Waikanae.

Most people only have about that left by the time they get to Waikanae.

Drew
10th January 2016, 10:58
Unless the average speed is 25kph.

Which is regularly is up the Kapiti coast.

Typo, meant to be 500km.

tri boy
10th January 2016, 12:06
What part of what I said do you think is a claim of intellectual superiority? That I called people morons perhaps? You could focus on that instead of the point I tried to make, but it kind of cements the statement.

I'm not overly bright, but I don't claim to be. I was not trolling, I was stating facts and presenting a different point of view to all those talking shit about concentration levels.

Laugh away though, failure to grasp a simple concept through spite is quite funny after all.

Look who got an attitude for Xmas:bleh:

Drew
10th January 2016, 13:14
Look who got an attitude for Xmas:bleh:

Nothing has changed.

RDJ
10th January 2016, 16:38
Change repeats. That is all.

Banditbandit
12th January 2016, 10:05

yeah .. that's all true - and I always have a good laugh at the drivers who pass me at just over 100 klicks - only to be one or two cars in front of me at the lights .. all that effort, guilt and angst for about a 10 yard advantage ...

However Drew - on a bike you have forgotten the fun factor ... bikes aren't just a way of getting somewhere else .. bikes are fucking FUN !!!! So on four wheels I do tend to sit at or below the speed limit and cruise on the music .. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..

Drew
12th January 2016, 10:21
yeah .. that's all true - and I always have a good laugh at the drivers who pass me at just over 100 klicks - only to be one or two cars in front of me at the lights .. all that effort, guilt and angst for about a 10 yard advantage ...

However Drew - on a bike you have forgotten the fun factor ... bikes aren't just a way of getting somewhere else .. bikes are fucking FUN !!!! So on four wheels I do tend to sit at or below the speed limit and cruise on the music .. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..

I speed on a bike from time to time, not so much since I learned to wheelie but I still do it. I don't make excuses for it though, and I certainly would never admit to being such a fucken useless driver/rider that I cannot safely control my vehicle at the same time as monitoring my speed.

FJRider
12th January 2016, 10:21
.. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..

I thought it was ... because we can ... ;)

scumdog
12th January 2016, 11:18
You may be right, but the average, (and below average,) driver is so shit scared of getting a ticket he spends more time watching his speedo than the road.

All the more reason they shouldn't be on the road...:oi-grr:

J.A.W.
12th January 2016, 11:50
I thought it was ... because we can ... ;)

Yeah, that.. & 'cause operating a high performance machine closer to its design capability is more involving,
inspires concentration & focus..
.. unlike boringly vacant & frustrating piddling along.. due to lowest common denominator values which just happen to predicate disrespect for the law.. even for a bloody cop commissar..

This situation is quite apparent to any who've had the opportunity to use the road systems in 1st world to go places at a realistic pace..

Daffyd
12th January 2016, 12:19
All the more reason they shouldn't be on the road...:oi-grr:

No argument there...

rambaldi
12th January 2016, 12:39

Your quote isn't the best but fuck actually putting effort in to finding the right one.

The argument that the reduced limits cause people to stare at their speedos should be bullshit. It is a requirement of getting your license that you can consistently drive within 5km of the limit with out going over. While still keeping your eyes on the road, while searching ahead for hazards. While checking your mirrors. If you can't do all of that on a vehicle with some mass (and hence a relatively stable speed rather than being a bit twitchy like a small bike) then you should hand your license back into the cereal box you got it from.

Katman
12th January 2016, 13:10
How long does it take to glance at your speedo? Half a second maybe?

So even if you check your speedo every 30 seconds you're still only looking at it for a 60th of the time you spend driving.

Anyone who considers that checking your speedo makes you less aware of what's happening around you should get the fuck off the road.

FJRider
12th January 2016, 13:45
Yeah, that.. & 'cause operating a high performance machine closer to its design capability is more involving,
inspires concentration & focus..

When operating a high performance machine close to it's design capability ... you will usually find yourself well over the posted speed limit.

This has nothing to do with maintaining a speed under that posted legal speed limit. The excess speed is by the operators choice. Should they then be caught over the posted limit ... fault and responsibility becomes theirs

In reference to my post you quoted ... we CAN ... and we DO. But it would be hypocritical to claim anything other than it (excess speed) was the result of their personal choice or due to lack of concentration.

An experienced rider/driver can not seriously claim otherwise ...

swbarnett
12th January 2016, 14:27
The argument that the reduced limits cause people to stare at their speedos should be bullshit.
Exactly! Should be. But in real life I don't think it is. The current bandwagon for the "safety" zealots is distraction. Why add yet one more unnecessary distraction into the equation?

It is a requirement of getting your license that you can consistently drive within 5km of the limit with out going over. While still keeping your eyes on the road, while searching ahead for hazards. While checking your mirrors.
And yet it seems that most drivers can't do this (or are just too lazy to do it).

rambaldi
12th January 2016, 14:49
Exactly! Should be. But in real life I don't think it is. The current bandwagon for the "safety" zealots is distraction. Why add yet one more unnecessary distraction into the equation?

And yet it seems that most drivers can't do this (or are just too lazy to do it).

As fucking annoying as it would be, it is probably worth extending the retesting on license renewal. Don't just have it for the nice grannies and grandpas but let mom and dad have a go at that as well given how shit they are half the time.

swbarnett
12th January 2016, 15:26
As fucking annoying as it would be, it is probably worth extending the retesting on license renewal. Don't just have it for the nice grannies and grandpas but let mom and dad have a go at that as well given how shit they are half the time.
As much as I would hate to do this myself (like many I just hate being tested) it's probably not a bad idea.

Banditbandit
12th January 2016, 15:34
I speed on a bike from time to time, not so much since I learned to wheelie but I still do it. I don't make excuses for it though, and I certainly would never admit to being such a fucken useless driver/rider that I cannot safely control my vehicle at the same time as monitoring my speed.

All that's true - but I rarely monitor my speed on the bike - if you're going to let rip then the speedo becomes instantly irrelevant ... the feel of the bike and where the envelope's edges are become more importnan that checking how much I'm breaking the law by ...

Big Dog
12th January 2016, 17:57
As much as I would hate to do this myself (like many I just hate being tested) it's probably not a bad idea.

Me three.
I'd feel less inconvenienced by having to do a 15 minute ride or drive every 10 years than by having some of the detritus we currently have clogging the nations arteries.
Even if that would mean multiple tests for my classes.
3 tests should probably cover my 6 classes.

Big Dog
12th January 2016, 17:59
All that's true - but I rarely monitor my speed on the bike - if you're going to let rip then the speedo becomes instantly irrelevant ... the feel of the bike and where the envelope's edges are become more importnan that checking how much I'm breaking the law by ...

Pretty much... a speedo is a fairly binary tool.
You are speeding.
You are not.

Beyond that it is a relatively useless metric...

Daffyd
16th January 2016, 23:54
How long does it take to glance at your speedo? Half a second maybe?

You might be surprised. The then road safety manager of the police replying to a letter I wrote to Autocar NZ back some time around 2003 stated "It only takes a millisecond to check your speedo."
I would challenge anyone to take their eyes off the road, refocus on the speedo,look back to the road,refocus on the road in 1 millisecond. This shows the utter bullshit that that man spoke.
There have been studies done by many groups/universities on this, but the general consensus is that it's closer to three seconds. (I think that figure came from Monash University, but am open to correction.) I had all this info back at the time, but changing countries, you sometimes leave things behind. (I do, however, still have the original letter that I wrote to Autocar NZ if anyone wants to read it. It won letter of the month so someone agreed with me.)

Big Dog
17th January 2016, 01:03
You might be surprised. The then road safety manager of the police replying to a letter I wrote to Autocar NZ back some time around 2003 stated "It only takes a millisecond to check your speedo."
I would challenge anyone to take their eyes off the road, refocus on the speedo,look back to the road,refocus on the road in 1 millisecond. This shows the utter bullshit that that man spoke.
There have been studies done by many groups/universities on this, but the general consensus is that it's closer to three seconds. (I think that figure came from Monash University, but am open to correction.) I had all this info back at the time, but changing countries, you sometimes leave things behind. (I do, however, still have the original letter that I wrote to Autocar NZ if anyone wants to read it. It won letter of the month so someone agreed with me.)
I do the quick flick. Can do this 2-3 times in a second without losing an awareness of the road situation.
Approximately the limit? Carry on.
Repeat in 1 minute or 5 depending on various factors.

See stationary tax van or the previous check was not close, double check exact speed. If required correct. Check again.

I'd say a full check takes 1 second on a bike I am familiar with. 1.5 in the car or on an unfamiliar bike.

This is faster for me than most I have discussed it with simply because I accept a speedo is an estimate and I am only interested in I need to slow down by about 5 kms. Not, I need to slow down by 4 kms.

Sent via tapatalk.

awayatc
17th January 2016, 12:39
Wether you can or can't check your speed in x seconds is not relevant...

why do you have to be so speed anal?

overzealous speed policing is not helpfull nor normal,

and should never be accepted as such....

it is a ridiculous simplified knee jerk reaction from a bunch of incompetent cock suckers...

RDJ
17th January 2016, 13:16

I don't know about Monash, can't find anything online, but a few years ago I was privileged to be taught by someone who had studied aviation physiology at Farmborough. The main reason that he gave me for the development of the heads up display (HUD), was the absolute minimum three seconds it took for highly trained young, fit fighter pilots with excellent reflexes, to drop their vision down to the cockpit instrumentation, read the important numbers (airspeed of altitude), and swivel backup to look for Huns in the Sun while processing the information they just read (excuse the Biggles reference).

Now, when you've got people frantic not to get fined for doing 53 km per hour through Bulls or Sanson, distracted by kids, changing speed signs, extraneous inputs, and possibly being very young and inexperienced or very old and confused, is it any wonder that people are driving distracted because of the zero tolerance policy of the police force's senior management?

Drew
17th January 2016, 16:58
I don't know about Monash, can't find anything online, but a few years ago I was privileged to be taught by someone who had studied aviation physiology at Farmborough. The main reason that he gave me for the development of the heads up display (HUD), was the absolute minimum three seconds it took for highly trained young, fit fighter pilots with excellent reflexes, to drop their vision down to the cockpit instrumentation, read the important numbers (airspeed of altitude), and swivel backup to look for Huns in the Sun while processing the information they just read (excuse the Biggles reference).

Now, when you've got people frantic not to get fined for doing 53 km per hour through Bulls or Sanson, distracted by kids, changing speed signs, extraneous inputs, and possibly being very young and inexperienced or very old and confused, is it any wonder that people are driving distracted because of the zero tolerance policy of the police force's senior management?

There is a bit more to take in when flying a fucken plane though isn't there.

Why the fuck would anyone try and use that as an argument here? Fuck people can be dumb!

swbarnett
17th January 2016, 17:15
There is a bit more to take in when flying a fucken plane though isn't there.
I don't see why. The dials are roughly the same aren't they? (I am, of course, assuming that the reference was for reading one dial).

Drew
17th January 2016, 18:14
I don't see why. The dials are roughly the same aren't they? (I am, of course, assuming that the reference was for reading one dial).

I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial. And if it does, so what? If you can't look away for three seconds, you're following too close or traveling too fast for the conditions.

I check my rev counter about ten to fifteen times a lap when racing. Admittedly I'm not riding lap record pace or anywhere near it, but I do alright. If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!

bogan
17th January 2016, 18:16
If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!

We've seen you ride, that seems a little low :bleh:

RDJ
17th January 2016, 18:27
I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial.

It's not just 'The Look' Drew. It's acquiring and most of all processing the information. But feel free to disagree in your inimitable fashion.

bogan
17th January 2016, 18:28
It's not just 'The Look' Drew. It's acquiring and most of all processing the information. But feel free to disagree in your inimitable fashion.

I'm with Drew. It's 3 seconds, you're just being silly.

Drew
17th January 2016, 18:48

My style of argument is pretty common, inimitable is prolly a stretch.

Anyhoo, there's nowt to process in the same way that very very few people actually read a word. You glance down knowing what the speedo looks like with the needle in the right spot. You then automatically react to what you catch a glimpse of.

You are welcome to repeat you self again, but I have actually already considered what you said and I still don't agree.

RGVforme
17th January 2016, 18:54
I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial. And if it does, so what? If you can't look away for three seconds, you're following too close or traveling too fast for the conditions.

I check my rev counter about ten to fifteen times a lap when racing. Admittedly I'm not riding lap record pace or anywhere near it, but I do alright. If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!

If your checking your rev counter that much on a 3k length track like Manfeild then no wonder your nowhere near record pace.:weird:.....Might as well refit the speedo so you can check that while your there....:brick:

That "So what" is the difference in lap times on a track when reactions = seconds on or off your lap times.

Drew
17th January 2016, 19:05
If your checking your rev counter that much on a 3k length track like Manfeild then no wonder your nowhere near record pace.:weird:.....Might as well refit the speedo so you can check that while your there....:brick:

Three times down front and back straight each, twice down the middle one. Once at turn two, once exiting turn four, and once entering the hair pin.

This on the RF which is standard gearing, so it's always at the wrong revs through the infield and can be in one of two gears at any point depending on how I feel.

RGVforme
17th January 2016, 19:22
Three times down front and back straight each, twice down the middle one. Once at turn two, once exiting turn four, and once entering the hair pin.

This on the RF which is standard gearing, so it's always at the wrong revs through the infield and can be in one of two gears at any point depending on how I feel.

So why do you check?.....

The avg joe blow on the road has far less to worry about than a chap on a RF Racebike focused on going as fast as he can whos needs his eyes up asap for the next corner.

There is still many different conditions between the road and the track to make a fair comparison between the two.

Berries
17th January 2016, 19:36
You glance down knowing what the speedo looks like with the needle in the right spot. You then automatically react to what you catch a glimpse of.
While I hate to agree he is right. Drop your eyes long enough to see what the digital readout says and then look back at the road while processing the information.

Count three hippopotami. If it takes you that long you shouldn't be on the road.

Madness
17th January 2016, 19:57
Drew's right, fuck it. It doesn't take me anywhere near three seconds to check my speedo. I check it pretty infrequently on the open road but will when entering a built up area. Funny thing is, I'm as deaf as a deaf thing but I tend to ride to my ear and it seems to be pretty bloody accurate most of the time.

Maybe you cunts bleating about having to check all the time might need to slow down a little bit?

Drew
17th January 2016, 19:57
So why do you check?.....

The avg joe blow on the road has far less to worry about than a chap on a RF Racebike focused on going as fast as he can whos needs his eyes up asap for the next corner.

There is still many different conditions between the road and the track to make a fair comparison between the two.

It's no race bike. I check on the straights to get the shifts right, and in those spots of the infield to decide what cog to take the turn in. If I'm a bit slow I'll use first at the hairpin and second through splash. On the odd occasion I'm going fast enough I'll go a gear higher.

It is the time you say that it takes that I use this example for. Nothing to do with comparing road and track.

RGVforme
17th January 2016, 20:16
It's no race bike. I check on the straights to get the shifts right, and in those spots of the infield to decide what cog to take the turn in. If I'm a bit slow I'll use first at the hairpin and second through splash. On the odd occasion I'm going fast enough I'll go a gear higher.

It is the time you say that it takes that I use this example for. Nothing to do with comparing road and track.

You did use a comparison between the two in your previous comment to make your point so please don't try and say it has nothing to do with it now.

The environment your are riding/driving in be it road... track.... sunshine... rain.. will always effect how long it takes you to check....move...carry out...any operation of the vehicle you are operating at the time.

Nice try but no.

Drew
17th January 2016, 20:57
You did use a comparison between the two in your previous comment to make your point so please don't try and say it has nothing to do with it now.

The environment your are riding/driving in be it road... track.... sunshine... rain.. will always effect how long it takes you to check....move...carry out...any operation of the vehicle you are operating at the time.

Nice try but no.It is an example of how 3 seconds is bullshit.

swbarnett
17th January 2016, 22:26
I've had things pull out on me that if they happened in a 3 second moment of inattention would've been catastrophic.

You're obviously conditioned to the track. Not everyone has your reflexes. However, I do agree that it shouldn't take 3 seconds to check a dial. I think the point may be that it says more about the average driver than anything else.

eldog
18th January 2016, 01:10
Google glasses and GPS to the rescue for a HUD cut that 3 seconds down

In the future there may be an app that will advise you about your speed all checked by Gremlin :soon:

rastuscat
18th January 2016, 07:37
Drew's right, fuck it. It doesn't take me anywhere near three seconds to check my speedo. I check it pretty infrequently on the open road but will when entering a built up area. Funny thing is, I'm as deaf as a deaf thing but I tend to ride to my ear and it seems to be pretty bloody accurate most of the time.

Maybe you cunts bleating about having to check all the time might need to slow down a little bit?

Driving or riding is experiential. It feels like something.

Some people just can't understand the idea of feeling the driving or riding experience, and rely on dials.

This particular issue is a psychological self defence mechanism. Folk don't like the lower tolerance so they find ways to decry it. This speedo fixation thing is just such a BS example. It's a way of diverting attention from the speed issue by blaming the process.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_mechanisms

Just saying.

awayatc
18th January 2016, 15:19

Not a lot to worry about on a track......
no pedestrians, no road works, pets or even other road users.....
only other bikes all going the same direction...

so in your own limited vocabulary, so you understand maybe...:
you are talking out of your arsehole you fucking dumb twat.....

RDJ
18th January 2016, 16:08
It is an example of how 3 seconds is bullshit.

Clearly Drew is a superior form of homo sapiens and we should bow in worship at the Altar of his Innate Motorcycling Superiority.

(Yeah, that was sarcasm. What can I say, it's been a long day dealing with, including, the unroadworthy).

Unfortunately for reality, 50% of the population is less capable than average. Y'all (excluding Drew) may want to factor that into any pontifications about the amount of time it will take to absorb and process and act upon inbound information. Just sayin'.

Drew
18th January 2016, 16:53
Not a lot to worry about on a track......
no pedestrians, no road works, pets or even other road users.....
only other bikes all going the same direction...

so in your own limited vocabulary, so you understand maybe...:
you are talking out of your arsehole you fucking dumb twat.....How fucken hard is this to comprehend? The amount of things to worry about on a track versus the road , is fucken moot.

It flat out doesn't take that long to check your speed.

Clearly Drew is a superior form of homo sapiens and we should bow in worship at the Altar of his Innate Motorcycling Superiority.

(Yeah, that was sarcasm. What can I say, it's been a long day dealing with, including, the unroadworthy).

Unfortunately for reality, 50% of the population is less capable than average. Y'all (excluding Drew) may want to factor that into any pontifications about the amount of time it will take to absorb and process and act upon inbound information. Just sayin'.
So, half of the people posting are below average (and the average is fucken appaling) drivers. I'm happy to admit I might not be that flash at it, but I can maintain a constant speed.

awayatc
18th January 2016, 17:55
How fucken hard is this to comprehend? The amount of things to worry about on a track versus the road , is fucken moot.

It flat out doesn't take that long to check your speed.

understood you first, second and umptieth time....

you are a cunt..

at least you are trying very hard to sound like one

loud enough to convince me anyway

bogan
18th January 2016, 17:58

Evidently not as you were still bringing up the differences that are of no relevance.

It should be less than a second to check speed. Especially so if you are not on a track and have less certainty in what is ahead due to things like pedestrians, road works, road users, pets...

awayatc
18th January 2016, 18:04
Evidently not as you were still bringing up the differences that are of no relevance.

It should be less than a second to check speed. Especially so if you are not on a track and have less certainty in what is ahead due to things like pedestrians, road works, road users, pets...

I give up... you are so right...

to much welding fumes....?

husaberg
18th January 2016, 18:12
Do none of you fuckers have any peripheral vision of something:whistle:
That's what the blinking flashing light on the tacho was made for.
in the old day you just used to move the redline and the speed limit so they were at 12 o clock.

Katman
18th January 2016, 18:14
It's not just 'The Look' Drew. It's acquiring and most of all processing the information.

You mean glancing at a needle and figuring out whether it's over 100kph takes you 3 seconds?

Get the fuck off the road.

eldog
18th January 2016, 18:24
Do none of you fuckers have any peripheral vision of something:whistle:
That's what the blinking flashing light on the tacho was made for.
in the old day you just used to move the redline and the speed limit so they were at 12 o clock.

The gsxrs have that tacho flashing light that you can set (as I am sure you well know)

Set it to the rev/speed you want and presto its all you need

husaberg
18th January 2016, 18:27
The gsxrs have that tacho flashing light that you can set (as I am sure you well know)

Set it to the rev/speed you want and presto its all you need

Yip............ you can also buy them aftermarket for pretty much anything.
Remember those old ding ding ding bells on the early jap imports 110km/h I think.

eldog
18th January 2016, 18:30
Remember those old ding ding ding bells on the early jap imports 110km/h I think.

A mate had a Mitsi Starion, annoyed the shit out of him, it was a really piercing pitch.

I always thought it would good as an adjustable deadmans switch for long distance like truck/train drivers

set hi and low limits and disable if brakes were being used.

Maybe I should get 2 lights a green one for 50, a white one for 70, don't need a blue one that will come when I exceed the limit.....

husaberg
18th January 2016, 19:10
A mate had a Mitsi Starion, annoyed the shit out of him, it was a really piercing pitch.

I always thought it would good as an adjustable deadmans switch for long distance like truck/train drivers

set hi and low limits and disable if brakes were being used.

Maybe I should get 2 lights a green one for 50, a white one for 70, don't need a blue one that will come when I exceed the limit.....

Bloke next door used reach out push the button in his sleep everytime he heard a noise (he was a train driver)
The two switches sounds like the plot to a couple of Hollywood movies (Speed and the I vaguely remember a train one)

J.A.W.
18th January 2016, 20:04

Hah, the Toymota company cars over here still do that..

..as a delete select function on the in-car computer, thankfully..

Not that I'd speed on company time anyhow.. I 'd laugh out loud at those who got pinged for it..

& of course modern car computers do run a 'black box' data recording function of sorts, if you set off the airbags..
I had a stupid bloody taxi T-bone me, & the data was down loaded to verify the situation..

RGVforme
18th January 2016, 20:27

you are a cunt..

at least you are trying very hard to sound like one

loud enough to convince me anyway

Well that's you me and RDJ that have tried and failed.

I guess it is true an Idiot just cant be overcome by common sense.....:no:.....

Put simply it can not take under three seconds ALL OF THE TIME to check you speed.There are just to many variables that effect this action.

Perhaps KB needs a Vid cam app so we can see whos got the biggest cock once and for all and be done with it.:buggerd: :killingme

bogan
18th January 2016, 20:38

Mate, the biggest idiots around here are those who take three seconds to read a dial...

Common sense shows that three seconds is a long time, far too long to be anything close to a reasonable time to check your speedo. Then logic shows that if you add three seconds to your reaction time, it can more than triple the distance you take to stop.

RGVforme
18th January 2016, 20:44

Put simply it can not take under three seconds ALL OF THE TIME to check you speed.There are just to many variables that effect this action.

Perhaps KB needs a Vid cam app so we can see whos got the biggest cock once and for all and be done with it.:buggerd: :killingme

:killingme :killingme :killingme :facepalm: fuk im funny.....Lighten up you guys too serious....

bogan
18th January 2016, 20:52
:killingme :killingme :killingme :facepalm: fuk im funny.....Lighten up you guys too serious....

Not sure why you decided to both edit your post after I had quoted it, then quote your own post after that... (then edit that one too)

You're quicker at changing your posts than you are at checking your speedo eh?

Madness
18th January 2016, 20:52
There are just to many variables that effect this action.

You have a pulse vs. you don't have a pulse?

You really are a fuckwit.

RGVforme
18th January 2016, 20:58
You have a pulse vs. you don't have a pulse?

You really are a fuckwit.

:motu: :bleh: Oh ouch so what happens now???.

Im sure such words will be change my personal mindset.....NOT.

bogan
18th January 2016, 21:03
:motu: :bleh: Oh ouch so what happens now???.

Im sure such words will be sure to change my personal mindset.....NOT.

What about google, you know that's a thing right? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+long+does+it+take+for+driver+to+check+speed o&l=1)

RGVforme
18th January 2016, 21:04
Not sure why you decided to both edit your post after I had quoted it, then quote your own post after that... (then edit that one too)

You're quicker at changing your posts than you are at checking your speedo eh?

Nope just quicker at dumbing it down than you are at replying lol.....:scratch: :lol:

bogan
18th January 2016, 21:08
Nope just quicker at dumbing it down than you are at replying lol.....:scratch: :lol:

I think you overdid it then :laugh: (and since you probably won't get this for a while, what I mean was you applied too much 'dumb' to your posts; which would explain how moronic they are)

Also evidenced by you taking 12 minutes to come up with that 'gem' :facepalm:

RGVforme
18th January 2016, 21:19
I think you overdid it then :laugh: (and since you probably won't get this for a while, what I mean was you applied too much 'dumb' to your posts; which would explain how moronic they are)

Also evidenced by you taking 12 minutes to come up with that 'gem' :facepalm:

:violin: :dodge: :nya:

I just find it hard to be Emotionally effected by the words typed on a screen from people I don't even know.

Unlike some on this forum.

Life must be pretty bad if you do.

Madness
18th January 2016, 21:37
Oh ouch so what happens now???.

You'll probably start posting excessive smileys.

Im sure such words will be change my personal mindset.....NOT.

Just sharing an observation. I wouldn't expect you to stop being a fuckwit due to reading a post on an Internet forum from a stranger. That would be stupid.

bogan
18th January 2016, 21:39
:violin: :dodge: :nya:

I just find it so hard to be Emotionally effected by the words typed on a screen from people I don't even know.

Unlike some on this forum.

You say that, but you keep having two or more goes at each post, it's almost like your first attempt is emotionally charged or something...

And given your inability to take on common sense and logic, perhaps the word emotionally is redundant :yes:

pritch
18th January 2016, 22:34
Having just wasted a small part of my life reading the preceding three pages, I have come to one conclusion.

Three seconds is actually the amount of warning you should give with the indicators before turning. Experience suggests that very few people have any idea what three seconds duration is like.

One is supposed to glance at the speedo, rev counter, or whatever, not stare at it. Three seconds is staring whatever the circumstances.
If you need three seconds? "Should've gone to Specsavers".

Berries
18th January 2016, 23:36
If you need three seconds? "Should've gone to Specsavers".
That's the nickname my wife gave me.

awayatc
19th January 2016, 06:40
Nobody has explained WHY it is so important to have that needle exactly at one very precise location all the time.....

mind you only in NZ and Oz is this considered to be so utterly important that nothing else matters on the road...as long as that needle is in the correct spot...

our driving skills are overall piss poor.....
but that doesn't matter, the only skill needed is to stay on the speed limit...

Worst is that it gets hammered so hard, that people start regurgitating it,....
even here on KB.

Drew
19th January 2016, 06:49
Nobody has explained WHY it is so important to have that needle exactly at one very precise location all the time.....

mind you only in NZ and Oz is this considered to be so utterly important that nothing else matters on the road...as long as that needle is in the correct spot...

our driving skills are overall piss poor.....
but that doesn't matter, the only skill needed is to stay on the speed limit...

even here on KB.
That's the ticket, abandon what you were on about and take another stab.

I have admitted that speeding doesn't bother me. Many many times advocated formal driver training being mandatory. The fact that people admit they can't accurately moderate their speed though, is indicative that they're shit drivers.

bogan
19th January 2016, 07:01
even here on KB.

Strawman Alert!

But it's good to see you've taken on board the ridiculousness of a 3 second speedo check.

Katman
19th January 2016, 07:20

Quite simply, it's only important if the individual begrudges paying speeding fines.

Big Dog
19th January 2016, 11:44
It's like cheating on your wife.
You know the risks, take them or don't take them.
Just don't expect sympathy or for a good argument to excuse you from repercussions.
You might experience some discretion but it's not a given.

Sent via tapatalk.

RDJ
19th January 2016, 12:17
Regardless of the length of time y'all feel it SHOULD take to check and process and act on speedo info, this court exchange between a LEO and a lawyer is pretty much priceless

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=MX_idsmi7-EC&pg=SA7-PA71&lpg=SA7-PA71&dq=how+long+eyes+off+road+checking+speedometer+rea ding&source=bl&ots=fXgcnQogp0&sig=loHaT3jitG13vIGoAHGoc6fsmOk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpkLmsy7TKAhWCq6YKHT6iCGUQ6AEIIDAB#v=on epage&q=how%20long%20eyes%20off%20road%20checking%20spee dometer%20reading&f=false

Then there is this

http://motorbikewriter.com/speedo-gazing-fatal-hazard/

Katman
19th January 2016, 12:25
Regardless of the length of time y'all feel it SHOULD take to check and process and act on speedo info, this court exchange between a LEO and a lawyer is pretty much priceless

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=MX_idsmi7-EC&pg=SA7-PA71&lpg=SA7-PA71&dq=how+long+eyes+off+road+checking+speedometer+rea ding&source=bl&ots=fXgcnQogp0&sig=loHaT3jitG13vIGoAHGoc6fsmOk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpkLmsy7TKAhWCq6YKHT6iCGUQ6AEIIDAB#v=on epage&q=how%20long%20eyes%20off%20road%20checking%20spee dometer%20reading&f=false

Then there is this

If you think either of those links support your '3 seconds to process speedo info' theory you're a bigger moron than I ever imagined.

Drew
19th January 2016, 13:26

Then there is this

If 'speedo gazing' is so prolific, how come the number of tickets issued isn't falling? How come the death toll hasn't risen against the normal rate since the implimentation of speed cameras?

This is futile, mo' fuckers be refusing to think for themselves!

https://youtu.be/5FjWe31S_0g

RGVforme
19th January 2016, 13:53
I guess how long it takes to check you speed is just a tiny 'very over focused on in this thread' part of the whole process of checking vehicle operation while driving.

When you choose to check you speed would have a larger effect on a crash outcome ie Open road no cars to checking your doing smack on 30km 3 times when passing a school bus offloading kids that are running everywhere because stray 5kms over and its ticket time if the police see you.

If anything would cause you to do this at the wrong time/More often the 4km tolerance will.

The downside of the police trying to make us more focused on our speed rather than our environment and perhaps the reason why the road toll is not coming down with it in place.

RDJ
19th January 2016, 17:31
If 'speedo gazing' is so prolific, how come the number of tickets issued isn't falling? How come the death toll hasn't risen against the normal rate since the implimentation of speed cameras?

Evidence of absence is not absence of evidence.

Tickets issued may be not falling because (1) tolerance has been zero'd and (2) enforcement is increasing

Death toll is offset because of crashes are more survivable. For example, in the v early 80s when I first started treating road trauma, most seat belts were lap-only, windscreen glass shattered, and air bags were rare-as. Also, pre-hospital and in-hospital care have improved measurably.

awayatc
19th January 2016, 18:11
Strawman Alert!

But it's good to see you've taken on board the ridiculousness of a 3 second speedo check.

For what its worth......

buying Into this whole over anal speed obsession is only for arseholes....
wether you think you are shithot and can check your speedo in point 3 of a sec,
3 sec or a whole fuckin month.....

IT IS UNACCEPTABLE TO BE POLICED LIKE THAT......
and even more unacceptable to become accustomed to it and accept it.....

broaden your horizon and travel a bit....
And no....Australia doesn't count.....
their policing regiment is equaly wrong and failing

awayatc
19th January 2016, 18:19
For instance.....

in the Netherlands the politicians ( who are supposed to represent the population )
Asked the general population what they thought about speed, speedig and policing of same.....
They also asked what bothered them the most on the road....

Tail gating was number 1 annoyance, and therefore now carries a very hefty fine...
speeding didnt bother anybody, so speed limits went up, policing went down.
Speed cameras were sold to nz and oz and other countries where the chosen few decide what is good for the dumb masses, and people don't mind getting fucked over....

bogan
19th January 2016, 18:55
For what its worth......

buying Into this whole over anal speed obsession is only for arseholes....
wether you think you are shithot and can check your speedo in point 3 of a sec,
3 sec or a whole fuckin month.....

IT IS UNACCEPTABLE TO BE POLICED LIKE THAT......
and even more unacceptable to become accustomed to it and accept it.....

broaden your horizon and travel a bit....
And no....Australia doesn't count.....
their policing regiment is equaly wrong and failing

No shit. That's what makes it a strawman argument, dumbarse.

RGVforme
19th January 2016, 20:22

Have you ever thought about starting up a psychic medium service?.

You really are quite good at coming up with bullshit conclusions based on fuck all information.:oi-grr:

scumdog
19th January 2016, 20:34
It's like cheating on your wife.
You know the risks, take them or don't take them.
Just don't expect sympathy or for a good argument to excuse you from repercussions.
You might experience some discretion but it's not a given.

Sent via tapatalk.

Haha! Love it!:laugh:

Now about this wife of yours...:shifty:

bogan
19th January 2016, 20:52
Have you ever thought about starting up a psychic medium service?.

You really are quite good at coming up with bullshit conclusions based on fuck all information.:oi-grr:

Bullshit? You're good at talking it, but not so good at detecting it...

If you'd like to show what I said was bullshit go ahead, but I think we both know it'll be just like that 3 second speedo check you were pissing on about before.

Big Dog
19th January 2016, 22:41
Haha! Love it![emoji23]

Now about this wife of yours...:shifty:
I might dally on speed limits, I don't fancy being in a remake of the John Wayne Bobbet story.

Sent via tapatalk.

Banditbandit
20th January 2016, 09:43
My God ... How many pages - how many posts - how many hours of bullshit arguing over HOW LONG IT TAKES TO CHECK A SPEEDO !!!!

YOU PEOPLE NMEED TO GET OUT MORE

(I can see rather a lot of bikes sitting in sheds feeling neglected ...)

RDJ
20th January 2016, 16:05
We do get out and about. A most excellent after-breakfast ride to Paekak and back for me, in the late morning after waking up.

OTOH, many of us also work weird shifts :-) when we can't ride, need to be contactable, but can access the intertubes b4 and after duty.

J.A.W.
20th January 2016, 16:20
We do get out and about. A most excellent after-breakfast ride to Paekak and back for me, in the late morning after waking up.

OTOH, many of us also work weird shifts :-) when we can't ride, need to be contactable, but can access the intertubes b4 and after duty.

& have weird things for breakfast.. is that code for 'pie & cock.. pie & kack.. or a side order of both?" L.O.L..

RDJ
20th January 2016, 16:22
& have weird things for breakfast.. is that code for 'pie & cock.. pie & kack.. or a side order of both?" L.O.L..

Your fantasies are your pathology.

J.A.W.
20th January 2016, 16:28
Your fantasies are your pathology.

Coprophagy & other such breakfast choices of mention, while likely pathological.. aint my idea of a hearty start..

TheDemonLord
20th January 2016, 17:41
A picture (but can't quote it, otherwise the Mods will be upset)

I did that once, it was horrible.

husaberg
20th January 2016, 17:53

You just attach it below the quote thus avoiding the raft of the sieves.................

RDJ
20th January 2016, 18:17
My God ... How many pages - how many posts - how many hours of bullshit arguing over HOW LONG IT TAKES TO CHECK A SPEEDO !!!!

YOU PEOPLE NMEED TO GET OUT MORE

(I can see rather a lot of bikes sitting in sheds feeling neglected ...)

You can always ignore reality.

You cannot always ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Ocean1
20th January 2016, 18:59

Involving The Hill, no doubt.

Hope the local constabulary didn't rain on your parade.

60 fucking kph. :rolleyes:

awayatc
21st January 2016, 07:43

Coming from somebody like you that is quite a compliment....
thanks

awayatc
21st January 2016, 07:45
You can always ignore reality.

You cannot always ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Who says you can't change "reality"....?

Going from imperial to metric for instance was quite a change of "reality"...

bogan
21st January 2016, 07:48
Coming from somebody like you that is quite a compliment....
thanks

That comeback works a lot better when the post doesn't explain exactly why you're a dumbarse, dumbarse.

Perhaps you didn't understand the explanation though. A strawman argument is one you put into the mouth of those you argue against, which is not the one they are making, but is one you can actually argue against. Ie, changing from '3 seconds to check a speedo', to 'focusing on speed policing is a bad thing'. It may be a difficult concept for you, but do you see how those two things are not the same?

Banditbandit
21st January 2016, 10:01

:rofl: "You must spread .. etc " ...

RDJ
21st January 2016, 10:13
Who says you can't change "reality"....?

Going from imperial to metric for instance was quite a change of "reality"...

Hmmm, not so much

If you measured the same distance and got a larger number, you'd still need exactly the same amount of gas to ride it...:yes:

Big Dog
21st January 2016, 12:12
Hmmm, not so much

If you measured the same distance and got a larger number, you'd still need exactly the same amount of gas to ride it...:yes:
Just in litres not gallons.

Sent via tapatalk.

awayatc
22nd January 2016, 17:52
That comeback works a lot better when the post doesn't explain exactly why you're a dumbarse, dumbarse.

Perhaps you didn't understand the explanation though. A strawman argument is one you put into the mouth of those you argue against, which is not the one they are making, but is one you can actually argue against. Ie, changing from '3 seconds to check a speedo', to 'focusing on speed policing is a bad thing'. It may be a difficult concept for you, but do you see how those two things are not the same?

Wow...you are so intelligent.......

to intelligent for me

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 18:10
It's abundantly clear why some of y'all prefer to ignore reality, but the fact is, it takes an irreducible amount of time to process information gained from reading instruments/dials and acting effectively thereupon.

The time taken to do that is time not spent watching the road and assessing and managing risks.

The more time and the more frequently the threat of fines require people to fixate on their speedometer, the less likely it is that they will spend an appropriate amount of time staying safe.

Drew - and others with his genetic competencies - will always be perfect riders/drivers (yeah that was sarcastic, in case you didn't notice) but for the rest of the mortals driving and riding, the more time the police insist they watch their speedos, the less time they will be watching for others driving and riding on the shared road.

scumdog
22nd January 2016, 19:59
It's abundantly clear why some of y'all prefer to ignore reality, but the fact is, it takes an irreducible amount of time to process information gained from reading instruments/dials and acting effectively thereupon.

The time taken to do that is time not spent watching the road and assessing and managing risks.

What a crock-o-shit, ya don't have to READ the dials, sheesh.....:facepalm:

If ya DO 'have' to read the dials ya shouldn't be on the road in anything flasher than roller-skates...

husaberg
22nd January 2016, 20:02

If ya DO 'have' to read the dials ya shouldn't be on the road in anything flasher than roller-skates...

I generally agree with RDJ
but Sorry, a guy or girl is playing cricket or tennis and how much time do they have estimate speed and trajectory line length and make a decision as to what to do and then act .......

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 20:06

By all means. ignore reality. Hopefully, sooner or later, it won't bite you.

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 20:07

Addendum: it is profoundly to be hoped that you are not engaged in traffic management.

Katman
22nd January 2016, 20:16

The more time and the more frequently the threat of fines require people to fixate on their speedometer, the less likely it is that they will spend an appropriate amount of time staying safe.

I spent 4 years couriering in London. Your description of people's limitations is laughable.

(Then again, most people's efforts are laughable).

Voltaire
22nd January 2016, 20:20
I spent 4 years couriering in London. Your description of people's limits is laughable.

Then again, most people's efforts are laughable.

Couriers never had time to look at speedos:niceone:

Big Dog
22nd January 2016, 20:21
Even if it takes 3 seconds to process the data, that doesn't mean you need to look at the dial the whole 3 seconds.

Sent via tapatalk.

awayatc
22nd January 2016, 20:25
I generally agree with RDJ
but Sorry, a guy or girl is playing cricket or tennis and how much time do they have estimate speed and trajectory line length and make a decision as to what to do and then act .......

Big difference is that on our wee cricket pitch there is not only an umpire, but also a twat that kicks you of the paddock if the ball you hit perfect in every way is a touch faster then some random (but very rigid) number.

it makes the game safer you see...?

now how much fun is that game of cricket now all of a sudden....?

scumdog
22nd January 2016, 20:37
Addendum: it is profoundly to be hoped that you are not engaged in traffic management.

See post #139 and reconsider...

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 20:42
Allow me to provide an example of how (at least one representative) of the New Zealand police is laughably disconnected from reality.

Last November, I applied for a renewal of my firearms licence. The Arms Officer (along with other comments) was of the 'effing' opinion that in America, their system was completely 'effed up', because firearms rather than people were registered, and you could go to any firearms show in America and buy a lethal firearm 'without a problem'.

Nonsense on stilts.

The facts are that existing US gun laws apply just as much to gun shows as they do to any other place where guns are sold. Since 1938, persons selling firearms have been required to obtain a federal firearms license. If a dealer sells a gun from a storefront, from a room in his home or from a table at a gun show, the rules are exactly the same: he can get authorization from the FBI for the sale only after the FBI runs its “instant” background check (which often takes days to complete). As a result, firearms are the most severely regulated consumer product in the United States — the only product for which FBI permission is required for every single sale. Conversely, people who are not engaged in the business of selling firearms, but who sell firearms from time to time (such as a man who sells a hunting rifle to his brother-in-law), are not required to obtain the federal license required of gun dealers or to call the FBI before completing the sale. Similarly, if a gun collector dies and his widow wants to sell the guns, she does not need a federal firearms license because she is just selling off inherited property and is not “engaged in the business.” And if the widow doesn’t want to sell her deceased husband’s guns by taking out a classified ad in the newspaper, it is lawful for her to rent a table at a gun show and sell the entire collection. If you walk along the aisles at any gun show, you will find that the overwhelming majority of guns offered for sale are from federally licensed dealers. Guns sold by private individuals (such as gun collectors getting rid of a gun or two over the the weekend) are the distinct minority. According to an NIJ study released in December 1997 (“Homicide in Eight U.S. Cities,” a report that covers much more than homicide), only 2 percent of criminal guns come from gun shows. You cannot buy a firearm in America without appropriate identification and a background check. But of course if you want your firearms license renewed in New Zealand, you have to agree with the Arms Officer.

You have to ask yourself, in how many other aspects of law, are NZ police officers uninformed and prejudiced because of their personal preferences?

The answer is left as an exercise for the student.

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 20:44
See post #139 and reconsider...

I saw it. And I reconsidered it, based on the facts. Please do the same.

scumdog
22nd January 2016, 20:48
Allow me to provide an example of how (at least one representative) of the New Zealand police is laughably disconnected from reality.

Last November, I applied for a renewal of my firearms licence. The Arms Officer (along with other comments) was of the 'effing' opinion that in America, their system was completely 'effed up', because firearms rather than people were registered, and you could go to any firearms show in America and buy a lethal firearm 'without a problem'.

Nonsense on stilts.

The facts are that existing US gun laws apply just as much to gun shows as they do to any other place where guns are sold. Since 1938, persons selling firearms have been required to obtain a federal firearms license. If a dealer sells a gun from a storefront, from a room in his home or from a table at a gun show, the rules are exactly the same: he can get authorization from the FBI for the sale only after the FBI runs its “instant” background check (which often takes days to complete). As a result, firearms are the most severely regulated consumer product in the United States — the only product for which FBI permission is required for every single sale. Conversely, people who are not engaged in the business of selling firearms, but who sell firearms from time to time (such as a man who sells a hunting rifle to his brother-in-law), are not required to obtain the federal license required of gun dealers or to call the FBI before completing the sale. Similarly, if a gun collector dies and his widow wants to sell the guns, she does not need a federal firearms license because she is just selling off inherited property and is not “engaged in the business.” And if the widow doesn’t want to sell her deceased husband’s guns by taking out a classified ad in the newspaper, it is lawful for her to rent a table at a gun show and sell the entire collection. If you walk along the aisles at any gun show, you will find that the overwhelming majority of guns offered for sale are from federally licensed dealers. Guns sold by private individuals (such as gun collectors getting rid of a gun or two over the the weekend) are the distinct minority. According to an NIJ study released in December 1997 (“Homicide in Eight U.S. Cities,” a report that covers much more than homicide), only 2 percent of criminal guns come from gun shows. You cannot buy a firearm in America without appropriate identification and a background check. But of course if you want your firearms license renewed in New Zealand, you have to agree with the Arms Officer.

You have to ask yourself, in how many other aspects of law, are NZ police officers uninformed and prejudiced because of their personal preferences?

The answer is left as an exercise for the student.

Probably no more than any other aspect of the law??

And as far as gun-shows go in the US? - More than a few get approached at the show, deal done - then sale completed 'after hours', no questions asked.

RDJ
22nd January 2016, 20:52
Probably no more than any other aspect of the law??

And as far as gun-shows go in the US? - More than a few get approached at the show, deal done - then sale completed 'after hours', no questions asked.

So those are illegal transactions, exactly like Heather D-P-A conducted with the NZ Police. She was engaging in criminal activity, and the police followed their procedures, but she is still not charged with any breach of the law... An 'interesting' situation. Yes?

Du Plessis-Allan spoke to her Story co-host Duncan Garner the day the story broke on TV3 and told him those who worked on the story knew it "was likely to land us in a spot of bother with the cops".

She described how the rifle was bought using a mail order form which was downloaded from the internet, filled out with bogus details and sent to Gun City.

Berries
22nd January 2016, 22:31

Last November, I applied for a renewal of my firearms licence.......
Woaahhhh. What the fuck does that have to do with looking at your speedo?

bogan
23rd January 2016, 07:39

I thought it was an example of one (RDJ) being disconnected from reality. Just like all the 3 sec checks were too.

Drew - and others with his genetic competencies - will always be perfect riders/drivers (yeah that was sarcastic, in case you didn't notice) but for the rest of the mortals driving and riding, the more time the police insist they watch their speedos, the less time they will be watching for others driving and riding on the shared road.

Oh contraire, the amount has already been reduced from 3 seconds...

awayatc
23rd January 2016, 10:20
Oh contraire, the amount has already been reduced from 3 seconds...

Hard to be taken serious as an "intelligent" person if you show of your French non existing vocabulary and get half of it wrong.....
dumb arse...

au contraire ......

conard

Katman
23rd January 2016, 10:28
Hard to be taken serious as an "intelligent" person if you show of your French non existing vocabulary and get half of it wrong.....
dumb arse...

aux contraire ......

If you're going to question someone else's intelligence it always pays to be sure of your own.

Perhaps you mean au contraire.

jonbuoy
23rd January 2016, 10:37
For instance.....

in the Netherlands the politicians ( who are supposed to represent the population )
Asked the general population what they thought about speed, speedig and policing of same.....
They also asked what bothered them the most on the road....

Tail gating was number 1 annoyance, and therefore now carries a very hefty fine...
speeding didnt bother anybody, so speed limits went up, policing went down.
Speed cameras were sold to nz and oz and other countries where the chosen few decide what is good for the dumb masses, and people don't mind getting fucked over....

Doesn't make sense as to how driving 140kph on a quiet highway gets you a fine but driving far too closely as the majority of people do in the morning and evening commute goes unregulated.

Banditbandit
25th January 2016, 09:48
It's just got to be Silly Hats time ...

RDJ
26th January 2016, 15:33

Yeah - has to do with the mindset and the knowledge of (some of) the enforcers. But don't worry, your Reality Bubble is unimpinged...

RDJ
7th February 2016, 16:55
The commentary - confidence, not inspired.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-HUD-Head-Up-Display-MPH-KM-h-Speeding-Warning-System-Plug-Play-Universal-/272006398897?hash=item3f54d843b1:g:CRsAAOSwZd1VcsX R&vxp=mtr

This product is for drivers’ safety, at high speeds, especially in high-speed driving at night, in order to avoid the driver to look down their head to watch the instrument, and decrease car accident. HUD is in extremely critical moment reflects its delicate care. HUD can project the important information displayed by the instrument (such as speed) onto the windshield, it can not only to help determine the speed of inexperienced novice to control their speed and avoid many of the speed limit road due to speeding violation. More importantly, it enables the driver instantly read the number in great vision and always make drivers eyes on the road in clear mind.

russd7
8th February 2016, 19:36
lets just project shit on to the windscreen to even more distract already distracted drivers

awayatc
8th February 2016, 20:57
Comprehensive reading........?

nah that will never catch on here .....