PDA

View Full Version : Pillion Pride

Charlie
27th September 2005, 13:07
Ladies... two questions.

Did you struggle taking a pillion at first and more importantly...
Does your man ride pillion to you?
(if he's not on his own bike of course).

I am exploring the idea that I might take a passanger at some stage, if only to get from a to b.
There is a lot of talk of the smaller new female riders about bike selection and what the best options are RE height and weight. Its not an issue for me as I'm quite tall, however I wonder what it might be like to carry the extra weight of another rider? Especially if they wiggle a lot!

And secondly, when I brought this up with a male friend he laughed at the prospect that I would ride while be sat at the back. He apparently wouldnt be seen dead on the back of a chicks bike. :gob:
I can see this might be of issue to some guys perhaps, kind of, no not really... guys what are your thoughts?

The way I see it he'd rather walk. :bye:
Besides I have a bike and license and HE does NOT! Simple.

Hitcher
27th September 2005, 13:12
My thoughts?

Some ladies ride their own bikes. Don't presume that a lady in bike attire carrying a helmet is somebody's pillion and treat them accordingly. It really irritates the shit out of them.

Some lady riders may let men pillion on their bikes.

The role of pillion is not the exclusive preserve of women.

ManDownUnder
27th September 2005, 13:14
I'm a lousy pillion (apparently) but that's the only reason I don't go on the back of other bikes.

I don't care who's riding, if it was a bike it'd be fun!

WRT
27th September 2005, 13:19
Well, I know I prefer to take female pillions rather than male (not that I get all homophobic on it, and I do take male passengers from time to time, its just I like the way that female pillions feel pressed up against my back :whistle:).

So in theory, surely all the guys going for a ride on the back of their mates bikes should actually prefer to be on the back cuddling up to some chick, rather than a big sweaty, leatherclad biker bloke?

Admittedly, if there are two of us hopping on the bike then I would prefer to be the rider rather than the pillion, but thats regardless of whether the other person is male or female.

Thats my two cents anyway.

Rashika
27th September 2005, 13:38
Ladies... two questions.

Did you struggle taking a pillion at first and more importantly...
Does your man ride pillion to you?

nope i had no issues at all, in fact it was usually better riding with the extra weight on the back ...once you got used to it ofcourse! but slow manouvering takes a little bit of practice.
Used to take my sister to a lot of rallies, had lots of fun actually. Its nice having someone to keep ya back warm going to the brass monkey. Altho she was a good pillion having spent many years on the back of her partners bikes so that made it easy.

My ex hubby occasionally used to go on the back, but he just wasn't a good pillion...that can take a bit of practice and he just wasn't into it enough.
....and yeah i think he would have prefered to be on the front! :shake:

Charlie
27th September 2005, 13:44
Cheers - loads of women ride bikes - and yes it is annoying that when your kitted out people think your just a tag along. I love the look on their faces when I point to MY bike and get on and ride without a babysitter (even if its just a wee 250).

I'd be happy to take pillions, guys or gals, as my riding skills improve. Is it hugely different or hard work?

ManDownUnder
27th September 2005, 13:47
its just I like the way that female pillions feel pressed up against my back :whistle:).

...oh that goes without saying....

ManDownUnder
27th September 2005, 13:50
I'd be happy to take pillions, guys or gals, as my riding skills improve. Is it hugely different or hard work?

The bigger the bike the easier it it. It's just extra weight, and the technique does vary a little... but with a good pillion not much.

Tell 'em to sit still and not wobble around too much. Take it slow to start with and you'll see what I mean. Eventually the two of you will learn how to ride together and all will be well.

Aitch
27th September 2005, 14:26
The bigger the bike the easier it it. It's just extra weight, and the technique does vary a little... but with a good pillion not much.

Tell 'em to sit still and not wobble around too much. Take it slow to start with and you'll see what I mean. Eventually the two of you will learn how to ride together and all will be well.
When she's on my bike, I don't even notice that she's there...she the perfect pillion!
(Though i will admit it would be nice if I could feel her hugging me tight, bloody cordura and kevlar! )
The extra weight (not very much admittedly cos she skinny) makes not a jot of difference to acceleration or handling, ah the joys of a big bike!

Charlie
27th September 2005, 14:32
The extra weight (not very much admittedly cos she skinny) makes not a jot of difference to acceleration or handling, ah the joys of a big bike!

Hmmm.... well I dont have that joy. Are 250's comfortable to carry two. Or gutless and slow?

jrandom
27th September 2005, 14:39
pillioning gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies. I try to avoid it at all costs.

anybody assuming I was a pillion if I walked in carrying a helmet would get a slap upside the head.

and funnily enough Ive pillioned guys but never girls on my bikes.

moto-sisters, represent!

would one of you like to take me for a ride sometime? Ive never been pillioned by a chick. Id try and get over my paranioa for the one ocassion.

ManDownUnder
27th September 2005, 14:40
Hmmm.... well I dont have that joy. Are 250's comfortable to carry two. Or gutless and slow?

Yes and yes - which makes them ideal for learning to go two up in town...

BM-GS
27th September 2005, 14:41
Pillion-carrying secrets:

Make sure the pillion knows to be a sack of spuds on the back, no leaning unless you know that they know what you're doing, and you know thet they know.....etc. Leaning's best left for the 2nd ride.

Take it easy. Until you know what it feels like it's a bit hard to adapt to.

If you're able to, stick in each gear longer than you might otherwise. Constant gearchanging is when the helmet-to-helmet interface problem is at its worst.

If they're a bloke and won't ride on the back, they probably don't deserve a lift!

Watch out for involuntary wheelies at the lights, over humps in the road, etc. Maybe no biggie on a 250, but my YPVS shat me up a couple of times, and they're not that different.

Make sure pillion is properly equipped with lid/gloves/boots/jacket, etc. Nothing is more embarassing than coming off and taking someone near & dear with you, except when you scar them for life at the same time.

Charlie
27th September 2005, 14:45
would one of you like to take me for a ride sometime? Ive never been pillioned by a chick. Id try and get over my paranioa for the one ocassion.
Well I'm looking for a guinea pig soon!

jrandom
27th September 2005, 14:51
Well I'm looking for a guinea pig soon!

uh, well youd better not mind undertaking a wee hike to pick me up then.

Riff Raff
27th September 2005, 14:51
I haven't taken a pillion yet - would like to give it a go but have to confess to a bit of anxiety at the thought. White Trash has offered to be my pillion, but I haven't taken him up on that yet - too scared that he might think my riding sucks (yeah stupid I know - whilst I may be very aware of some of my failings, I don't like them being pointed out to me - damned pride!)

Charlie
27th September 2005, 14:55
uh, well youd better not mind undertaking a wee hike to pick me up then.

Hahaha yeah saw that. Epsom probably a bit far from the Capital... :doh:

jrandom
27th September 2005, 14:58
perhaps I should put myself forward to take Riff Raffs pillioning virginity.

far as I can tell Im probably about the polar opposite of mr trash when it comes to post-ride critiqueing.

and hes probably a big pie-eating bastard too so there'd also be the advantage of a wee slip of a girl on the back not screwing up her bikes handling.

you up for it, riffsta?

The Stranger
27th September 2005, 15:18
[QUOTE=Charlie
Especially if they wiggle a lot!
[/QUOTE]

Dieing to know what you are doing to make them "wiggle a lot"

Charlie
27th September 2005, 15:25
Dieing to know what you are doing to make them "wiggle a lot"
Hahahaha, its my fabulous driving!
No just kidding. I havent taken a pillion yet - considering it though and I hear horror stories about some people who are cluless sit on the back of a bike and squirm and wriggle cause the seats uncomfy, they are sitting too close or try and push back and sit upright all the time.
Imagine thats a pain in the arse!

Motu
27th September 2005, 15:26
My wife used to take me as pillion often,never a problem for either of us,she's had other guys on as pillion and I've been on the back of other girls bikes.A good pillion shouldn't effect the bike too much,it's team work.

Hitcher
27th September 2005, 15:30
Mrs H will be in Epsom in October, resplendent with her blue Suzuki VZ800K4 Marauder. I am sure she would be up to the task...

jrandom
27th September 2005, 15:43
Mrs H will be in Epsom in October, resplendent with her blue Suzuki VZ800K4 Marauder. I am sure she would be up to the task...

Ill take her up on that one.

phantom
27th September 2005, 15:55
My ex and I used to share the pillioning duties and either of us felt comfortable enough to nod off on the back on long rides. As long as you trust each other and relax its sweet. Just a shame marriage wasn't that easy :angry:

The Stranger
27th September 2005, 16:07
Seriously, you can't sleep on the back of a bike can you?

I mean surely the sweet dreams could turn into a bit of a nightmare in a big hurry.
Unless it is a goldwing I guess.

Charlie
27th September 2005, 16:11
Mmm, I wondered that too!
Aside from the fact that you could even get to sleep on the back of a bike.... :weird: ... You'd wanna cuff your hands together so you dont slip off surely? :thud:

Rashika
27th September 2005, 16:15

I mean surely the sweet dreams could turn into a bit of a nightmare in a big hurry.
Unless it is a goldwing I guess.

My sister used to fall asleep on the back of her partners bike :sleep: ...CBR600
Sheesh not something I could do...but then again i ride more than pillion, so I guess i KNOW what could happen, and it would scare me shitless to shut my eyes for more than a sec

Velox
27th September 2005, 16:15
I take pillions quite a bit on my 250. It tends to bottom out if there's even a slight rise or a dip in the corner - just scrapes the centre-stand and makes you wince though.

The main thing is that everything that you do is slower and needs to be more carefully carried out - braking, acceleration, navigating corners. Also, because everything's a lot more slow and sluggish (esp on a 250) you really need to keep away from anything that might go wrong - bigger following distances, going slower on narrow roads etc...

Prob one of the main things is to train the pillion though - you can be riding perfectly and they try and chuck the bike over. Not fun.

And if he kicks up too much of a fuss about getting on a gal's bike tell him to harden up and get his own!!!

Riff Raff
27th September 2005, 16:33
far as I can tell Im probably about the polar opposite of mr trash when it comes to post-ride critiqueing.

and hes probably a big pie-eating bastard too?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You obviously haven't met White Trash then... he's a whole 2kgs heavier than me!!!

ManDownUnder
27th September 2005, 16:35
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You obviously haven't met White Trash then... he's a whole 2kgs heavier than me!!!

errr yeah - with huge biceps

So RR - you must weight what... 25 kgs?:clap:

mstriumph
27th September 2005, 16:46
anyone i pillion gets the standard "sit still, grab hold, do as i do, no screaming" speech ;)

i sympathise with anyone who doesn't want to pillion [irrespective of the gender of the rider] .... i'll only do it myself if i have regard for the rider and it would seriously damage his/her pride/face if i refused

The Stranger
27th September 2005, 16:58
Is your suspension adjusted correctly for you and/or for 2 up?

Both my bikes are set a just a touch firm for me and ride ok 2 up.
That said if my pillion were heavier I might need to adjust for 2 up.

phantom
27th September 2005, 18:15
Mmm, I wondered that too!
Aside from the fact that you could even get to sleep on the back of a bike.... :weird: ... You'd wanna cuff your hands together so you dont slip off surely? :thud:
wasn't a problem.whoever was on the back was wedged between the rider and the backpack on a Honda MT250 so there wasn't a lot of room. When you are asleep you're not unconcious and you seem to stay upright ok. you don't fall out of bed do you ? I agree in an emergency situation it would be a bit dicey but so was our marriage and I survived to tell the tale ( and ride again )

Storm
27th September 2005, 18:31
I'm secure enough in my manliness to be pillioned. A rider is a rider, regardless of gender when on the bike.

RiderInBlack
27th September 2005, 20:00
Beware the he doesn't end up with your bike:devil2:

I start as the "Bike Bitch" on the back of my wife's GSXR250. She had to full Licience (I only had a learners). The bike handled it well with my 80Kg and her 70Kg (did feel my arse was going to slide off the end though), but we only did short distances together (less than 100Km). We used to get a kick out of people's reactions when we arrived and they found out who was the rider and who was the pillion.
In the end, I ended-up using the bike more than she did, and when we separated I got the bike:ride: Sweet :devil2:

mstriumph
27th September 2005, 22:50
Beware the he doesn't end up with your bike:devil2: ...........

...................................... when we separated I got the bike:ride: Sweet :devil2:

my ex's lawyer suggested he should try for my bikes at a division of assets conf. ---- to which the 'undear-since-departed' said he'd prefer to live, thanks ...... fella allus COULD make me laff :rofl:

RiderInBlack
28th September 2005, 06:59
my ex's lawyer suggested he should try for my bikes at a division of assets conf. ---- to which the 'undear-since-departed' said he'd prefer to live, thanks ...... fella allus COULD make me laff :rofl:Didn't need one of those rip-off nasty lawer things. We had nutted it out together. She was more into the horses, so she got all the horsey gear including my double float, horse clippers, saddle, and our Pathfinder. I got the bike, her leathers (had my own helmet) and let her keep her two horses:bleh: Thought that was fair for the bike.

Charlie
28th September 2005, 08:30
my ex's lawyer suggested he should try for my bikes at a division of assets conf. ---- to which the 'undear-since-departed' said he'd prefer to live, thanks ...... fella allus COULD make me laff :rofl:
Good on ya Mstriumph! Thats a filthy rule anyway that 50/50 division of assets. <_<

froggyfrenchman
17th October 2005, 16:59
i would not get on the back with my wondeful woman at the helm. Not sexism, just that she has only been riding 12 months and has never taken a passenger. Where in i have been riding closer to 15 years and taken pilions miles and miles through all weather on all road surfaces. She agrees that it just makes more sense for me to ride if we just take one bike, theres also the point that my bike being of the non 250 breed can carry us at a more acceptible speed longer with less strain

surfchick
17th October 2005, 19:09
i stuck i pillion on in a back street to see what it feels like for me, but they ran away before the first corner so may-be i'll never know...ba ha

crashe
17th October 2005, 19:33
i stuck i pillion on in a back street to see what it feels like for me, but they ran away before the first corner so may-be i'll never know...ba ha

Off Topic.....

Welcome back Dr Surfchick...
Look forward to seeing some pics of your time in Ireland...
What we saw on the news... I suppose you were in the thick of it and filming it all.

scootnz
17th October 2005, 20:41
i'm 65 kg, and my partner is 95kg. He lost his licence for a while a couple of years ago, but we decided to go ahead with a trip to the South (from Wellington) anyway. I had to do a few practice runs with him riding pillion, he had to put his feet down whenever I stopped, but once we got going it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. We went from Welly, over to the west coast, back inland, over to the east coast (I'll never forget the Lindis Valley on a summer evening, my jacket was covered in splattered kamikaze bugs diving for the headlight when we finally got to Omarama about 11pm, just about out of petrol). Over to Chch, and back up the coast to Picton and Wellington. how many kms is that? I've forgotten - at least a thousand.
It does wonders for your riding confidence. You never doubt your abilities again after that.

Fatjim
19th October 2005, 09:19
Well, I know I prefer to take female pillions rather than male (not that I get all homophobic on it, and I do take male passengers from time to time, its just I like the way that female pillions feel pressed up against my back :whistle:).

So in theory, surely all the guys going for a ride on the back of their mates bikes should actually prefer to be on the back cuddling up to some chick, rather than a big sweaty, leatherclad biker bloke?

Admittedly, if there are two of us hopping on the bike then I would prefer to be the rider rather than the pillion, but thats regardless of whether the other person is male or female.

Thats my two cents anyway.

New hee, but this just hit a cord. As a bloke I think this just sums it up. Maybe this could be a "Blokes official opinion on pillioning".

I'd like to add something though, If I was on the back behind my misses I'd find it hard not to hold onto inappropriate places. :slap:

Indiana_Jones
19th October 2005, 12:16
Take my breath away Charlie :sunny:

-Indy

Phenoix
19th October 2005, 14:18

Depends on the riders.
Im only a light 65Kg, so can carry another person of the same weight ok and still be able to make a desent speed, but take offs require a few more revs than normal.
Have riden with as pillon with one of my female friends, no real problem there, she even has a bigger bike than me, so its alot easier to go 2 up on it than on my 250.
If your not used to pillion rides, get someone really light to start with. esp if there new on bikes too.
The difference between my 55Kg mate and 100Kg mate on the back is huge when they sudenly decided to lean the other way on a corner :angry2:
Cos you need to quickly adjust, either counter steering or leaning over further.
If anyone wants a light pillion, I'll volenteer so I can get on some of the rides. My bikes going to be out of action for another month.
Casts off in 2 weeks tho :D

Kittyhawk
19th October 2005, 23:56
Get your passenger familar with the bike, I usually get them to put their arms around my waist as I know they are holding on and they feel secure. as for cornering, ease into something like that. A mate said he lent into a corner and forgot about the passenger! Yes he crashed big time. So always take that into account. Its easy to tell when theres a newie on the back they are scared to lean with the bike, I am becasue I'm used to being in control!!
Good luck :)

SARGE
20th October 2005, 00:09
I'm secure enough in my manliness to be pillioned. A rider is a rider, regardless of gender when on the bike.

and bonus points...

YOU GET TO HANG ONTO BOOBS!!!! :niceone:

SARGE
20th October 2005, 00:14

hey Surfy.. welcome back ya wee lassie

i know your bike will handle 2-up.. had me on the front and you pillion around Grey Lynn when ya bought it.. 'memberz?

Phenoix
20th October 2005, 06:22
and bonus points...

YOU GET TO HANG ONTO BOOBS!!!! :niceone:

A great bonus, tho wouldn't it be a distraction to the rider ? :dodge:

SARGE
20th October 2005, 20:55

isnt that a great way to die though?.. handfulla boobs..

Phenoix
20th October 2005, 21:45
isnt that a great way to die though?.. handfulla boobs..

True, death on bike with boobies does sound like alot of fun.
But Im greedy, I always want more, so by holding out then till we get home ..... :devil2:
But still, I have no probs riding pillion to a female I trust riding

Charlie
21st October 2005, 15:51
Hahaha, was waiting for that to be suggested! Not that bike jackets allow for a whole lotta feelin! :whistle:

I've just gotten back from holiday n Raro where main means of getting round is on scooters or 250s so had my 1st play with taking a pillion (primitive as it may have been).
To set the scene... Big group of us went over, had 10 bikes/scooters between us and had to double up most times. So got to have a wee play with having a pillion on the back.
Oh and am now the proud owner of a Rarotongan Motorbike drivers license! :niceone:
Crazy place... if you have an NZ bike license you pay $10, smile for the camera and bling your legal. If you dont have a bike license... you pay $15, drive once round the block without falling off and your legal too!
Was weird; everyone riding in shorts, singlet (much better for holding onto boobs) and jandles... and without a helmet. The locals ride with their kids (sometimes only 2 yrs old) asleep on the back! :mellow:
Roads mostly sealed, some gravel and speed there is 40-60km.

Phenoix
21st October 2005, 23:15
I've just gotten back from holiday n Raro where main means of getting round is on scooters or 250s so had my 1st play with taking a pillion (primitive as it may have been).
To set the scene... Big group of us went over, had 10 bikes/scooters between us and had to double up most times. So got to have a wee play with having a pillion on the back.
Oh and am now the proud owner of a Rarotongan Motorbike drivers license! :niceone:
Crazy place... if you have an NZ bike license you pay $10, smile for the camera and bling your legal. If you dont have a bike license... you pay $15, drive once round the block without falling off and your legal too!
Was weird; everyone riding in shorts, singlet (much better for holding onto boobs) and jandles... and without a helmet. The locals ride with their kids (sometimes only 2 yrs old) asleep on the back! :mellow:
Roads mostly sealed, some gravel and speed there is 40-60km.

Sounds like how a few of the people out West got their cage liences, tho I think it cost them bout $200 for it.
Soundsl like a fun trip tho