PDA

View Full Version : Advice on leathers please

Sniper
27th September 2005, 13:25
Hey all.

I have decided that its high time I stop rinding in jeans and start trying to set an example of safe riding by getting some leathers. Now, what Im looking at is a set of Spyke or Alpinestar Leathers and I would like to know your opinions on both. Which is better and why? What should I look for when buying them(Ie: losse stitching ect)? They both cost the same and they both "should" fit but thats why Im heading off to try them on.

Also, those with leathers, do you find you slide on the seat while wearing them or not really?

Thanks for the help and info guys and gals.

Sniper

inlinefour
27th September 2005, 13:48
Great gear, however I'm sure the alpinestar option will be equally as good.

placidfemme
27th September 2005, 14:39
Sorry I can't give you a lot of Pro's and Con's on either, but I have Spyke leathers and they're really good...

jrandom
27th September 2005, 14:46
what a silly poll.

buy whatever looks better and/or offers more value for money.

just remember to go dive off your back porch and roll down the driveway to scrub off the new leather jinx before you ride in them.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 14:47
Does anyone have pics?

PS: MotoeQuip (TonyB) I may very well not buy these leathers so I definetly have you as my first supplier!.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 14:47
what a silly poll.

buy whatever looks better and/or offers more value for money.

just remember to go dive off your back porch and roll down the driveway to scrub off the new leather jinx before you ride in them.

There is a new leather Jinx?

James Deuce
27th September 2005, 14:49

Oh yes. Wrote my TRX off 2 weeks after buying a new jacket.

Borrow a pushy and randomly throw yourself off while wearing them.

inlinefour
27th September 2005, 14:49

However some people do believe in wives tales :weird:

WRT
27th September 2005, 14:50

I'd rather a new leather minx . . . sorry, still thinking about bat girl here . . .

What were we talking about again?

jrandom
27th September 2005, 14:50
Borrow a pushy and randomly throw yourself off while wearing them.

good idea there, sniper.

try not to bend anything though. the pushy will probably be worth more than your motorcycle.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 14:51
Ok, so the general consensus if your me to randomly attempt to injure myself in new leathers to "scub" them in. I bet you want to to video tape it too?

Sniper
27th September 2005, 14:52
try not to bend anything though. the pushy will probably be worth more than your motorcycle.

Smartarse. :spudwow:

James Deuce
27th September 2005, 14:53
Yes please.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 14:54
Yes please.

To call your bluff, I'll do it.

vifferman
27th September 2005, 14:55
To answer your other question - I find that I slide around less on my seat wearing leather pants than wearing other pants, or wearing my leathers with nylon waterproofs over the top.

The only problem I do have is that the seam for the double-thickness panel on the seat of my trou coincides with the edge of the seat (where the top meets the sides) and it does a nice job of giving me a pain after about 90 minutes of riding. The vifferbabe keeps telling me to buy new pants (these are about 10 years old), but my Scottish ancestry won't let me.

Cleve
27th September 2005, 15:00
I wear Dainese. (So does Rossi) They are good... had 'em for YEARS.
Raced in them, toured in them, weekend tripped in them, crashed in them, got fatter as I got older in them and had to have them expanded. Still going strong

Lou Girardin
27th September 2005, 15:03
Get Spidi, better than both.

jrandom
Get Spidi, better than both.

and available now at your local AMPS accessory department?

Sniper
I have heard bad things about Spidi

jrandom
27th September 2005, 15:04
I have heard bad things about Spidi

a powerful argument there.

you'll have trouble coming up with a refutation for that 'un, Lou.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:06
Im looking for genuine advise here guys, not smartarse comments Fish.

jrandom
27th September 2005, 15:09
Im looking for genuine advise here guys, not smartarse comments Fish.

seriously, any one-piece suit in the $1.5 - $2K price bracket from any of the brands already mentioned is going to be both well made and under a manufacturers warranty of reasonable term.

I already gave you all the genuine advice you need.

just buy the one that fits best and remember it will stretch a little from new.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:10
seriously, any one-piece suit in the $1.5 - $2K price bracket from any of the brands already mentioned is going to be both well made and under a manufacturers warranty of reasonable term.

I already gave you all the genuine advice you need.

just buy the one that fits best and remember it will stretch a little from new.

Ok, thanks. :first:

boomer
27th September 2005, 15:17
fit and comfort are the main drivers surely followed by style and cost when shopping in that price range

I prefer the look of alpinestars myself, but each to there own. :wavey:

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:18
Yea, Im just after who prefers what and why. Also if you have any opinions on either.

Uncle B
27th September 2005, 15:19
I've just upgraded all my gear to Alpinestars leather.
TZ1 jacket
Track pants
Quality is great and fit is excellent. Feel a bit more confident with some good quality gear on.
Take a little while to break in and mould to you.

Had an off at Manfield whilst wearing the new stuff, glad I had that gear on with all the protection they provide. My new leathers are nicely scuffed in. :2thumbsup

Lou Girardin
27th September 2005, 15:24
and available now at your local AMPS accessory department?

What are you trying to say?
Questioning my integrity perhaps? :shifty:

Lou Girardin
27th September 2005, 15:25
a powerful argument there.

you'll have trouble coming up with a refutation for that 'un, Lou.

I've heard good things about Spidi.
There, refuted!

boomer
27th September 2005, 15:28
The back of the knee on the spidi and spyke leather pants (seperates) are so uncomftable for me, they have a seam there which nips and bunches.... maybe i'm a strange shape.

I have the Tz-1 Jacket too (all black) http://www.customlids.co.uk/leathers/astars/tz1/jacket/tz1-jkt.jpg

And I want these, but i'm pissed at paying NZ new prices when i see teh cost of 'em in the states and UK. http://www.customlids.co.uk/leathers/astars/trackpants/trackpant.jpg

Does any one know if i would need to pay import $$ ? as the price is nearly half from overseas.

* edit speeelin

duckman
27th September 2005, 15:32
I've got a Spidi set and love it.

It really will come down to you trying on different sets and seeing what fits your "body type" the best.

Also the colour will probably influence you the most ... go on laugh ... I bet it bloody will!!!! :bleh:

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:32
I've got a Spidi set and love it.

It really will come down to you trying on different sets and seeing what fits your "body type" the best.

Also the colour will probably influence you the most ... go on laugh ... I bet it bloody will!!!! :bleh:

It does... :shutup:

James Deuce
27th September 2005, 15:34
Make sure the seams are double stitched and the armour sits exactly where it is supposed to.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:38
Ok, thanks Jim, (STUPID question) but how will I know the seams are double stiched. Different threat or ?

Hitcher
27th September 2005, 15:38
Hmmm. That may explain the chaffing...

Hitcher
27th September 2005, 15:39
Ok, thanks Jim, (STUPID question) but how will I know the seams are double stiched. Different threat or ?
FFS. Take your mum with you, She'll know.

MotoEquip
27th September 2005, 15:40
PS: MotoeQuip (TonyB) I may very well not buy these leathers so I definetly have you as my first supplier!.
Well recovered ;-)
Mine aren't due in till early November. If you can't wait it's not a problem.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 15:41
Well recovered ;-)
Mine aren't due in till early November. If you can't wait it's not a problem.

Not that I mind waiting. I just wanted to try on and check out some leathers before buying. What brand are yours?

MotoEquip
27th September 2005, 15:58
Not that I mind waiting. I just wanted to try on and check out some leathers before buying. What brand are yours?
Good plan. Mine will be branded "Minotaur" after the mythical monster with the
head of a bull and the body of a man. It's my brand, which I hope to eventually sell overseas as well. They'll have a silver/grey bulls head logo on the shoulders and knees, and 'Minotaur' on the forearms. Pics of the first ones off the production line will be posted as soon as I get them.

vifferman
27th September 2005, 16:19
Stu, I tried to find an excellent illustrated website I'd seen that showed the different seam types, but couldn't. Basically, the simplest seam is where two panels are just overlapped and sewn together with one line of stitches. If the stitching is abraded through in a slide, the panels come apart. Another bad kind of seam is where coloured panels are added to make the suit pretty, but are not sewn on top of the main suit, but just overlaid at the edges. Because the coloured panels stick up, they catch and the edges get worn away in a slide, and the suit fails.
The best types of seams have panels sewn together back-to-back or front-to-front, then the leather is folded over the top of the stitching, then there are one or more rows of stitching through the folds. Then even if the top layer of stitches is worn through, the suit maintains its integrity.

The simple answer if you don't know what to look for is to buy some recognised brand, check out the label on the suit for info about the construction, or check out their website for what they say about the way that suit is made. Look for kevlar or equivalent thread (not waxed cotton or nylon, both of which have low abrasion resistance), seams that show they've been folded over to hid one or more layers of stitching, and feel the abrasion-prone areas like elbows, shoulder, seat, knees, etc. to make sure they're genuinely two or more layers of leather, not just panels sewn on to look like they're double thickness.

placidfemme
27th September 2005, 16:25
Does anyone have pics?

lol only 3 pages late in my response... heres a pic of my spyke leathers

jrandom
27th September 2005, 16:27
lol only 3 pages late in my response... heres a pic of my spyke leathers

mmm, black.

bet you look dead sexy on your ZXR wearing those.

placidfemme
27th September 2005, 16:29
mmm, black.

bet you look dead sexy on your ZXR wearing those.

the pants give me baggy ass syndrome... most pants do lol but the jacket is a perfect fit :) nice and heavy too

jrandom
27th September 2005, 16:32
the pants give me baggy ass syndrome... most pants do

more pies, girl, more pies. listen to the people who know.

but the jacket is a perfect fit :) nice and heavy too

theres just something... sumptuous... about wearing a nice heavy leather jacket, isn't there?

Quasievil
27th September 2005, 16:34
Well couldnt let the chance pass me by, this is my Brand

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=359678#post359678

Im getting them in as you all no and I got a heap just arrived so if your interested let me know, you wont be disappointed with the quality or the fit they are extremely well made.
My supplier wont tell me who but he makes for a leading european brand, like most big names they are made offshore in Pakistan or similiar. Good thing to my ones will cost you $500 for a set , cant complain about that huh ?

Quasievil
27th September 2005, 16:37
Not wanting to hijack, but Im sure some of you may be interested here is a couple of pics look at the link above for more.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 17:21
Thanks Quasi, say did you get my reply to your PM?

Sniper
27th September 2005, 17:22
FFS. Take your mum with you, She'll know.

Mums in Australia Hitcher. Besides, Im not prone to taking females along when Im shopping for mens things.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 17:24
Thanks PF, and thanks for all the coll advice Vifferman. I will check up and familerise myself with double stitching on an alpinestar brand or similer. And then look for it again later.

Quasievil
27th September 2005, 17:25
Thanks Quasi, say did you get my reply to your PM?

Last I got was you were going to contact me by midday, Im so hurt

Sniper
27th September 2005, 17:32
Last I got was you were going to contact me by midday, Im so hurt

Sorry mate, I sent one at 1432 yesterday. I'll try again soon.

onearmedbandit
27th September 2005, 19:25
Sniper, I wear a two-piece Alpinestar GPU2 suit, got it cheaper in Japan. While I cannot comment on Spyke, my suit has provided perfect service. Comfortable, breathes well, armour in the right places. However I haven't given it the ultimate test yet, and I hope never I never will, but that it the most important aspect. I would do a net search on 'crash' testing done on various types.

One thing to beware of I would say is how they fit your boots. My Sidi boots fit me very well, but because there is substantial armour in the shins of my suit, it's a tight fit getting the boots done up. My fault entirely, I bought the boots before the suit and didn't pay consideration it to it.

Sniper
27th September 2005, 19:26
Thanks OAB. You back from japan yet?

onearmedbandit
27th September 2005, 19:30
Yeah, arrived back this morning. Haven't slept for 30hrs now, but feeling good to be home.

cowpoos
27th September 2005, 19:34
I have a Alpinestars GPU 2 piece suit...[my second alpinestars suit]fully CE armoured....and hellishly comfortable....the jacket looks good just on its own...uses different thinkness of leather depending on the importance of the area it covers....but generally 1.2-1.4 mm leather...has bloody handy little inside pockets for wallet and cellphone...and cig's

And comfortable...hell comfortable!!!

I've previously owned spidi [lectron]...it started falling apart at the seams after 2mnths...had them replaced on warrenty and sold them on trade me...and brought a tecnic Violater suit...I went for a nice lowside down the road...and I ripped all the hip leather off them and some of the leg...they were shit...if you value you body stay away from teknic...they are cheap for a reason...I would have though I would have a tiny hole if that from that slide...but no....fucked the whole suit...

I've never had spyke...but I trust alpinestars...for quality...comfort...ventilation...crashability [had three offs in my first pair of alpinestars...until they needed the boot]...style...and good value...I rekon...I put a high value on my own arse...they were $1700...

Sportszone suzuki in chch does alpinestars from memorie...go have a look...they are quality kit!!!

Hope this helps Sniper....

cowpoos
27th September 2005, 19:35
Sniper, I wear a two-piece Alpinestar GPU2 suit, got it cheaper in Japan. While I cannot comment on Spyke, my suit has provided perfect service. Comfortable, breathes well, armour in the right places. However I haven't given it the ultimate test yet, and I hope never I never will, but that it the most important aspect. I would do a net search on 'crash' testing done on various types.

One thing to beware of I would say is how they fit your boots. My Sidi boots fit me very well, but because there is substantial armour in the shins of my suit, it's a tight fit getting the boots done up. My fault entirely, I bought the boots before the suit and didn't pay consideration it to it.

Listen to the man...he wears a good suit...!!!!

Yours in blue too bandit????

Sniper
27th September 2005, 20:02
Thanks cowpoos. Yea, sportzone does do alpine star but at $1800 dollars

cowpoos
27th September 2005, 20:55
well...go size up at sportzone like I did....and buy them from www.motostrano.com like I did....lol...heaps cheaper....or get onearmbadit to hook you up from japan!!!

and if your head says hassle....$1700 is cheap for something that will last a long time and save your hide big time....think about it...or use the amazing tool of laybuy....its good for when you really want something...you'll find yourself putting everything towards it....

onearmedbandit
27th September 2005, 21:11
Listen to the man...he wears a good suit...!!!!

Yours in blue too bandit????

Blue, black and white. Very close to my gixxer. Along with my arai and alpinestar gp plus goves, all good gear and looks grouse.

cowpoos
27th September 2005, 21:19
Blue, black and white. Very close to my gixxer. Along with my arai and alpinestar gp plus goves, all good gear and looks grouse.

I've got the blue black and white gpu2....and the spool gloves,shoei xr1000 in yellow graphic...and soon..oxtar or sidi boots....currently got the forma race boots....ditto on the too tight while wearing the suit....