PDA

View Full Version : Ballin On A Budget

BRASCO RACING
11th January 2016, 09:38
Always wanted to give Buckets a go.

Picked up this NZ250 rolling frame on the weekend for peanuts.

It's set up for a Honda single, which is good, because we have a couple GL145 engines laying round the garage.

See how it goes eh..

TZ350
11th January 2016, 17:42
Looks a good start .... :woohoo:

speedpro
12th January 2016, 17:41
Good basis for a bucket for sure. Those wheels look familiar.

BRASCO RACING
13th January 2016, 07:24
Had a proper look at it last night.

The bootleg engine mounts for the Honda single are crude, but will do the job.

The tank is a tad rusty, and looks like it's already had sealer on the inside, which is peeling.

The rear shock mount on the frame has a couple cracks that need a weld.

And the front disc is sticking.

The seat was pop riveted on, and I lost my rag and butchered it, so will re-do the whole seat.

Tyres? Run what's on there? Get some cheap roadies? Or has someone got slicks for sale?

318743 318744

F5 Dave
13th January 2016, 10:18
Caliper will need piston pumped right out, seals carefully flicked out, corrosion behind them cleaned out.

Those discs are nice and light and big. But prone to warping and rare.

Tank you might as well use as a cover and use a pit bike tank.

Pumba
13th January 2016, 10:21
Tyres? Run what's on there? Get some cheap roadies? Or has someone got slicks for sale?

What wheel size is it running? If it is running 17" rims then you may be able to find some slicks, if they are 18" then your choices become some what limited.

BRASCO RACING
13th January 2016, 10:24
Caliper will need piston pumped right out, seals carefully flicked out, corrosion behind them cleaned out.

Those discs are nice and light and big. But prone to warping and rare.

Tank you might as well use as a cover and use a pit bike tank.

Yeah, will give the calliper a good revamp.

Hopefully sourcing another of the same disc/calliper to keep as spares.

Tank - great idea thanks. Would never have thought of that.
Do I cut the whole underside off, keep the mounts and a bit of meat around them?

Hilleye
13th January 2016, 12:06

Will help if you provide detail about what's already on there and what your rim sizes are (i.e. what diameter and how wide are your rims). Looks like you've already got a slick on the rear though so they're likely 17" rims. With this in mind if you can run slicks, probably best too. I'd just check your tyres for signs of perishing if they're old or you don't know. I'd check again after your first race meeting once they've been subjected to some stress. Sidewalls on the last three bikes I've ridden with old tyres have turned out to be perished, only one showed any signs before riding. Maybe I've just had bad luck.

BRASCO RACING
13th January 2016, 12:14
Will help if you provide detail about what's already on there and what your rim sizes are (i.e. what diameter and how wide are your rims).

Sorry, says 90/80/17 on the front, and 120/595/17 on the rear.

Will measure width when I can.

cotswold
13th January 2016, 15:51
Sorry, says 90/80/17 on the front, and 120/595/17 on the rear.

Will measure width when I can.

You will be happy to hear that you can use slicks,

F5 Dave
13th January 2016, 15:53
It's written on the rim. 1.85 on front I'd bet. Bit small for slicks but can get away with it in an emergency.

Tank ng you'd soapy water wash a bunch of times and then fill with water before cutting the bottom out of it. Read the net on petrol tanks as they can be dangerous with fumes.

BRASCO RACING
13th January 2016, 22:05
It's written on the rim. 1.85 on front I'd bet. Bit small for slicks but can get away with it in an emergency.

Tank ng you'd soapy water wash a bunch of times and then fill with water before cutting the bottom out of it. Read the net on petrol tanks as they can be dangerous with fumes.

1.85 front, 2.15 rear.

Yeah, I ended up researching about working with tanks after de-badging the tank on my old XS650 one day, more than a few beers deep.
Caught myself soldering up the holes left from drilling out the badge mounts, face 5 inches from the empty but unwashed tank.. moment of clarity.

F5 Dave
14th January 2016, 06:42
You could probably run two front slicks, but would be better to put the rear on the front and lace a wider one on the rear.

Ideal is 2.5 and 3.5`` to run 90 front 120 rear slicks that 125s run.
But 2.15 and 3.0 work acceptably.

If on budget try two front.