PDA

View Full Version : Cage experts, help needed!

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2016, 18:32
I'm having difficulty with 1 bolt on my control arm of my cage... Anyone know how to get it out??? (please don't tell me I need a special tool)
This is the bolt in question
http://newzealandmafia.com/files/van/20160113_190113.jpghttp://newzealandmafia.com/files/van/20160113_190101.jpg

Next time I might just get someone else to do this shit, all this just to replace this fucking thing, why can't vehicles be easy??? :oi-grr:
http://newzealandmafia.com/files/van/20160112_195556.jpg

bogan
13th January 2016, 18:34
Looks like it might be seized into the control arm bushing, when you put a socket on it will it spin?

Motu
13th January 2016, 18:41
It's siezed onto the inner sleeve of the bush....you have a problem. Cut the bolt and head, and spread the Xmember to get the arm out.

Motu
13th January 2016, 18:42
It's siezed onto the inner sleeve of the bush....you have a problem. Cut the bolt and head, and spread the Xmember to get the arm out. What vehicle?

Bikemad
13th January 2016, 18:50
if you haven't got much room to swing a decent hammer you could weld an eye to the bolt head and put some tension on it using a cable tensioner or small come along/chain block fixed to another point on the chassis.....or a sliding drift hammer...... while tapping the thread end ....heaps of crc too......let it soak for a night ..put the nut back on as Tazz said until you unfreeze it....good luck

sidecar bob
13th January 2016, 18:57
Is that a Nissan van? You don't need to take the arm out to replace the ball joint, it can all be done with it as is.
Talk about make a mission out of nothing.
45 min labour & I would still have time up my sleeve. Want me to tell you how?

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2016, 18:59
The bolt does spin, but there's friction like it's spinning rubber with it
I've tried a couple hit with a hammer (nothing too extreme, the van isn't as stable as it could possibly be) but can't see any movement from it

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2016, 19:03
Is that a Nissan van? You don't need to take the arm out to replace the ball joint, it can all be done with it as is.
Talk about make a mission out of nothing.
45 min labour & I would still have time up my sleeve. Want me to tell you how?

Yea it's a Nissan, if the joint can be replaced without arm removal that would be advantageous. I don't have a press kit (if that's what's required) so was gonna rip the arm off & take it to a guy that could press it for me on a not so portable press kit (assuming these are pressed)

sidecar bob
13th January 2016, 19:09
Yea it's a Nissan, if the joint can be replaced without arm removal that would be advantageous. I don't have a press kit (if that's what's required) so was gonna rip the arm off & take it to a guy that could press it for me on a not so portable press kit (assuming these are pressed)

Here's what you do.
Make sure to remove the circlip above the arm on the ball joint, you already have the boot off, that's part of the job.
Put an axle stand, or something made of solid metal under the arm near the ball joint, but not under it with a bit of preload (for fucks sake don't use wood,it absorbs the shock)
Pivot the threaded ball joint stub out towards you & hit it fuckin hard with a big hammer, hitting the top edge of the ball joint is ok too with the stub turned in.
Three hits & its out.
Ok, fuck off & do that while it's still daytime & by the time you get back I will tell you how to put the new one in.

sidecar bob
13th January 2016, 19:18
Clean up the hole that the ball joint virtually fell out of with a bit of very coarse sandpaper.
Find a large socket or round steel thing with a circular hole in it that the outer lower circular machined edge of the ball joint rests on nicely.
Put the ball joint in the hole with a bit of grease on things put the socket or round thing under the ball joint with an axle stand or stack of solid metal things directly to a solid surface, with a bit of preload (you're wasting your time if it's on the lawn)
Get a thick metal drift & hit the outer edge of the suspension arm down, watching that the ball joint is going in straight & ajusting the under support to compensate, if it goes too crooked, knock it out & start again.
Once things go solid, put the circlip on & you know the rest.
Grease the ball joint if it has a nipple & dont forget to tighten that inner lower pivot you have been messing with.
Don't be a pussy, you're not going to fuck anything with a hammer & drift, it's made of tougher stuff than that.
Remember, if it seems too difficult you're probably doing it wrong.

Bikemad
13th January 2016, 19:26
watch this........it may be helpful........pretty much what bob said but using a tool for the install
https://youtu.be/3EBDAgbJjjI

Woodman
13th January 2016, 20:25
To install you can also put an axle stand under the partly pressed in ball joint then let your jack down quickly and the weight of the van will press it in.

bogan
13th January 2016, 20:33
The bolt does spin, but there's friction like it's spinning rubber with it
I've tried a couple hit with a hammer (nothing too extreme, the van isn't as stable as it could possibly be) but can't see any movement from it

Spin like a full turn, or spin like 20 degrees whilst increasing in resistance, if it's the former, you've probably got a fucked control arm bush. If it's the latter you've got a seized bolt to bush.

As for the ball joint, follow sidecar bob's advice.

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2016, 20:58
Here's what you do.
Make sure to remove the circlip above the arm on the ball joint, you already have the boot off, that's part of the job.
Put an axle stand, or something made of solid metal under the arm near the ball joint, but not under it with a bit of preload (for fucks sake don't use wood,it absorbs the shock)
Pivot the threaded ball joint stub out towards you & hit it fuckin hard with a big hammer, hitting the top edge of the ball joint is ok too with the stub turned in.
Three hits & its out.
Ok, fuck off & do that while it's still daytime & by the time you get back I will tell you how to put the new one in.
Well that hasn't worked out for me... being that it's on gravel probably isn't helping things tho.
Might just have to give up & get someone round. Need it done by Sat

Spin like a full turn, or spin like 20 degrees whilst increasing in resistance, if it's the former, you've probably got a fucked control arm bush. If it's the latter you've got a seized bolt to bush.

As for the ball joint, follow sidecar bob's advice.
Full turn, managed to smack it out by 20mm but she's still as stuck as she was beforehand

sidecar bob
13th January 2016, 21:03
Well that hasn't worked out for me... being that it's on gravel probably isn't helping things tho.
Might just have to give up & get someone round. Need it done by Sat

Fuckin beat it with the biggest hammer you can swing like you hate it.

bogan
13th January 2016, 21:03
Full turn, managed to smack it out by 20mm but she's still as stuck as she was beforehand

Should come the rest of the way then, as it can't be seized onto the bushing if you've moved it 20mm. There'l be some load or torsion on a worn surface or something that'll be preventing it coming out. Just take a bit of time to think about it, and apply a bit of mechanical sympathy if you still want it off (not any need I can see though). Otherwise, do the same and get the ball joint off. If you don't have the mechanical aptitude though, it would be better to get a professional to do it.

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2016, 21:11
Fuckin beat it with the biggest hammer you can swing like you hate it.

Right now I do hate it, but the biggest hammer I have is a 1.4kg (3lb'r) & it don't seem to be doing shit

sidecar bob
14th January 2016, 06:07
Right now I do hate it, but the biggest hammer I have is a 1.4kg (3lb'r) & it don't seem to be doing shit

It needs to be supported absolutely solidly on a concrete surface. Any springiness or shock absorption between it & the ground will steal your efforts.
I would be using a dumpy sledge hammer myself.
I'm confident based on expierence that done correctly it would be out on the fourth hit.

Drew
14th January 2016, 08:42
For sale, Nissan van in need of a ball joint. Problem solved.

Jin
14th January 2016, 09:00
Blue wrench time

Drew
14th January 2016, 09:21
Blue wrench time

The Mexican speed wrench?

Scuba_Steve
14th January 2016, 18:07
For sale, Nissan van in need of a ball joint. Problem solved.

not after the fucking time it took to find this van

Scuba_Steve
14th January 2016, 18:10
Blue wrench time

If only the van was at work :wait:

sidecar bob
14th January 2016, 18:14
If only the van was at work :wait:

Oh f.f.s, hit the bloody thing hard with a hammer you are yet to buy. It will yield.
One of the hard things to teach an apprentice is to hit the fucking bejesus out of stuff when required.
Seriously, get a dumpy sledge from super cheap & swing it as hard as you can, minding that you don't hit the wheel arch.

Scuba_Steve
14th January 2016, 18:36
Oh f.f.s, hit the bloody thing hard with a hammer you are yet to buy. It will yield.
One of the hard things to teach an apprentice is to hit the fucking bejesus out of stuff when required.
Seriously, get a dumpy sledge from super cheap & swing it as hard as you can, minding that you don't hit the wheel arch.

Na got it sorted, due to not having concrete around (nor the right hammer) giving it a decent whack was hard
Managed to smack the control arm bolt out instead, left the CRC to sit for a day came back tonight with a decent size bolt & used it to smack the stubborn bolt through... Seems it was just a bit of surface rust & the pressure from the leaf springs stoping it from just coming free

Scuba_Steve
15th January 2016, 19:12
Well got the balljoint changed today & fuck does a 600 ton press make it look easy