PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cowl! - Removing epoxy glue from fibreglass

Nausea
13th January 2016, 21:37
I purchased a reproduction fibreglass seat cowl and they have put a bracket on it with epoxy resin. The bracket is the wrong size & in the wrong place so I need to remove it and put something more suitable on there.

Is there a safe way to remove the bracket & the epoxy glue without damaging the fibreglass? I can't send the cowl back as it was purchased ages ago.

husaberg
13th January 2016, 22:15
I purchased a reproduction fibreglass seat cowl and they have put a bracket on it with epoxy resin. The bracket is the wrong size & in the wrong place so I need to remove it and put something more suitable on there.

Is there a safe way to remove the bracket & the epoxy glue without damaging the fibreglass? I can't send the cowl back as it was purchased ages ago.

Not sure re damaging but try acetone ie (nail polish remover)
I'd put a small cutting wheel in a dremel first, though to remove most of the bracket and epoxy.

jonbuoy
14th January 2016, 19:33
You could try a hot air gun and just heat the aluminium to soften the epoxy. Failing removing just chop that bit that gets in the way off and glass in a new bracket over the top . That way it will give you a nice flat surface to start with.

paudux
15th January 2016, 19:41
Heat do it with the tip on fishing rods all the time.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk