PDA

View Full Version : VFR800 reviews or opinions?

Riderbythebeach
14th January 2016, 18:42
Hi Guys,

Im looking at getting a mid size tourer and like the vfr 800. I would be looking at 2002 to 2008 models.
Wanting some feedback from fellow bikers good and bad , and on the riding , maintenance and general performance.
I am not a speed freak but would like a comfy ride.

J.A.W.
15th January 2016, 10:47
Hi Guys,

Im looking at getting a mid size tourer and like the vfr 800. I would be looking at 2002 to 2008 models.
Wanting some feedback from fellow bikers good and bad , and on the riding , maintenance and general performance.
I am not a speed freak but would like a comfy ride.

Yeah, a bit of a gem from Honda, a machine with that solid V4 character, while still being fairly unthreatening in the Honda way..

If you can pick-up a well cared for example that has been accorded the proper servicing, you could do alright.
Do note that Honda V4s are kinda complex/time consuming to service/fix when its needed, however..

Also check out a Triumph Sprint, as another characterful feeling alternative in the mid size sporty-tourer role..

Of course, a ZZR 1100/Blackbird/Hayabusa would be the obvious alternative, but heavier, in all aspects, & as traditional inline 4s,
oddly busy/buzzy feeling by comparison to the V4, or triple..

Then there are the V-twins..

Phleep
15th January 2016, 13:12
I purchased a 2006 model at then end of last year and immediately rode if from Tauranga to Wellington. They are a very easy bike to ride since the low down torque means it won't fail to pull at any revs even if you mess up your choice of gear. This makes them great for my commute into town since it involves motorway and stop/start of which both are no problem on the vfr.

The seating position is reasonably upright sparing your wrists any strain you neglect to take up with your legs.

I would say the only risk is the fact it is fully fared and may get marked up more easily than a naked or bikini fared bike.

Also, this was a 2006 bike, apparently the vtech kicks in less pleasantly on the previous years.

I test drove a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 from Motorad and it rode well but I think it was less tolerant of low revs. Sounded and felt great though.

Missed my old VFR400 so was probably quite biased.

bbnet
18th May 2016, 13:56
I'd rather eat worms than ride a honda but if I had to, it would be a vfr! It's really a well thought out bike.

Maha
25th May 2016, 08:07
I'd rather eat worms than ride a honda but if I had to, it would be a vfr! It's really a well thought out bike.

That's like saying Blue is worst colour ever but in saying that I have painted my house blue and it looks great.

AllanB
25th May 2016, 20:00
Buy it. You know you want to.

And add a rowdy pipe (or two) - they sound fantastic.