PDA

View Full Version : Crankshafts. Anyone have any lying about? Bigger the better.

98tls
16th January 2016, 19:44
As above,anyone in Canterbury/Otago area spied any big uns of no use to anyone? Will swap for beer etc.....

neels
16th January 2016, 21:25
My old man has a reasonable collection of old engine bits lying around, probably a spare crankshaft or two that are surplus to requirements, how big or for what purpose are you after.

Failing that, most of the vintage car clubs have a pile of old parts, I'm sure you could get something old and large for what some beer would cost.

98tls
16th January 2016, 21:28
My old man has a reasonable collection of old engine bits lying around, probably a spare crankshaft or two that are surplus to requirements, how big or for what purpose are you after.

Failing that, most of the vintage car clubs have a pile of old parts, I'm sure you could get something old and large for what some beer would cost.

About this size mate...

Grumph
17th January 2016, 05:57
Had to be either a stool or a letterbox stand...I've got a 750 kawa crank about 15in long you can have but i'm assuming you want something taller.
For barstools, look at 6 cylinder cranks.

nzspokes
17th January 2016, 08:22
About this size mate...

Better get one thats not FPV, it will break down. :bleh::laugh:

Grumph
17th January 2016, 09:53
[QUOTE=nzspokes;1130938654]Better get one thats not FPV, it will break down. :bleh::laugh:[/QUO

By definition, if it's holding up a stool or a letterbox, it's fucked for use as a crank....whether Ford or Holden.

sugilite
17th January 2016, 10:07
Thought it might of been for a project like this :bleh: (fence in Dannevirke)

http://majestic-quartz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/crank-gate-1.jpg

Close up

http://majestic-quartz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/crank-gate-2.jpg

neels
17th January 2016, 10:59
That is cool, particular respect for the fact that they are all the same, and all facing the same way.

husaberg
17th January 2016, 13:06
I was thinking it must be for one of these.

If you want something bigger than the normal Holden or Ford 6 look at Heavy EQ places like Goffs or Cable Price.

Woodman
17th January 2016, 14:29

]

Look like ford flat head v8 cranks to me.

Grumph
17th January 2016, 15:07
Look like ford flat head v8 cranks to me.

I think you're right, 3 mains def a V8. But how the f did he get so many ?

ellipsis
17th January 2016, 15:25
...they all fell out the back of a truck...

Grumph
17th January 2016, 16:13
...they all fell out the BOTTOM of a truck...

Fixed that for you...

sugilite
17th January 2016, 16:19
There is even more of them to the left of the driveway, just out of shot...about 4 to 5 of them. My phone camera is fussy on distance, so I had to run on tot he road briefly to get the first photo so missed the others ones lol.
I could always knock on the door and ask but i think that fence has been there a long time, so the original builder could well have moved on....

Woodman
17th January 2016, 17:18

Did they assemble then in NZ? Could be surplus from the factory. I remember when there was surplus Honda engines left over from the Nelson plant, they had to smash them with a sledge hammer to stop them being sold. The triumph engines got buried out the back of the plant, probarbly still there, same with the Jags too I think.

Might explain why all the ends have been cut off those Ford cranks, to make them unsaleable. Maybe

J.A.W.
17th January 2016, 17:18

So many?
Of the multi-millions Ford produced?

Looks like they all have the snout snapped off 'em..

Maybe they were from ex-army machines, like Bren-gun carriers, & broke being ham-fistedly hand-cranked?

& what was/is cast iron worth - as scrap?

neels
17th January 2016, 18:06
Might explain why all the ends have been cut off those Ford cranks, to make them unsaleable. Maybe
I noticed that too, have to wonder if it was on purpose or by accident.

These things do accumulate by themselves if you have an interest, I lost count of the number of Mk1 cortinas my dad got given because they were rustbuckets that failed warrants and he had a couple so people thought the parts would be useful, many happy hours with the angle grinder and gas axe chopping them up. I've killed a reasonable number of Mk2 cortinas for the same reason....

Of course it could just be that it's the standard failure mode, or they knew someone who raced them and broke them on a regular basis, and they were quite happy to take the broken bits away for another life as a fence.

neels
17th January 2016, 19:12
Have had a chat to the old man, he thinks there might be 1920ish 4 cylinder essex crank(s) and/or mid 20's 6 cylinder essex crank(s) somewhere down the side of the house, will be a ball of rust and need some work to look pretty.

Might pop out to the VCC this week and see what's lying around, I know there's a GT185 exhaust that I need to bring home, there may be some old cranks sitting around I can bring home for you.....

Must finish turning the buggered cam out of my ford 1600 into a bog roll holder for the man cave toilet.

Grumph
18th January 2016, 05:56
Did they assemble then in NZ? Could be surplus from the factory. I remember when there was surplus Honda engines left over from the Nelson plant, they had to smash them with a sledge hammer to stop them being sold. The triumph engines got buried out the back of the plant, probarbly still there, same with the Jags too I think.

Pretty sure Ford weren't doing CKD assembly at that point - but I could be wrong. Given the fence is in Dannevirke, not a known centre of mechanical tech...i'd pick they were truck cranks. Plenty of Ford V8 trucks killed in logging work in the area.