PDA

View Full Version : Clunk, Bang, Arse, Feck, Ouch!!

Hitcher
1st February 2004, 11:28
Yesterday was fine and Mrs Hitcher and I had time on our hands, so what to do? You guessed it. Over the 'takas we went to the Flying Fish at Martinborough. Here we met Mangell6 and Mrs M who were out taking their respective steeds for a gallop. It's always good to hear what other bikers enjoy doing and to see what they ride (great to meet you guys too).

After a most pleasurable chat with the Mangells, Mrs H and I decided that we would go to Castlepoint via Gladstone and Masterton. It started to spit at Masterton but I decided to employ my sometimes successful "climate denial" technique (and Mrs H said it was too hot to wear wets anyway) and so we headed off to Castlepoint.

About 30km out of Masterton it became evident that "climate denial" was not going to do the biz, so stopping under the fast-dampening shelter of a roadside tree, on went the wets. No sooner was the top dome fastened, then the heavens opened. Thoughts of a Castlepoint excursion were quickly abandoned and we headed back to Masterton, initially through a torrential downpour. It's amazing riding when the road is a fuzzy blur of exploding raindrops.

About 5km short of Masterton the rain stoppped, never to be seen again (well, on Saturday where we went anyway).

After a compulsory cappuccino stop at Salute at Greytown (great coffee and food here -- highly recommended) it was time to head home.

Great riding conditions, light traffic, bike running superbly well -- on a clear right-hander nearing the top of the 'takas I clipped a rock, lost the front end and it was all over Red Rover. Possibly what passes for a fair attempt at a "classic lowsider". I forgot to check the judging panel's scorecards...

Fortunately the damage to bike and rider is annoying but not too serious (hopefully). The Zrex will need a new fairing and front right indicator. There's a graunch on the RH side of the radiator, on the front of the engine, the bottom of the exhaust can and, surprisingly, the tailpiece behind the seat has cracked. The RH mirror and brake lever are also scraped but surprisingly unbent. I think that I must have broken the fall for 225kg of Kawasaki...

I have a badly-strained right ankle, badly bruised right hip and three puncture wounds in my right knee, sore shoulder and shabby self-esteem! Mrs H has not been unslow to remind me that things could have been much worse (for me) had she been on the back...

The Zrex is rideable, so after twisting the levers back into position and setting mirrors, I threw my getting-sorer-by-the-minute leg over and rode home.

I owe a big vote of thanks to the cagers following -- two guys in a Subaru WRX who were immediately behind me at the time, and to a local firewood contractor. They pulled the Zrex out of the bank, stood it up and dusted it down and waited round until everybody (including me) was convinced I was good to go. One of the guys in the Subaru was a biker himself and had a similar off years ago when he collected a bolt in similar circumstances (I think his bike came off worse for wear, but he was doing 100kmh whereas I was doing 70, plus or minus).

Another lesson well learned was the value of good gear. I have now written off my waterproof overtrousers and have a well chewed right Daytona boot. The helmet is looking a bit the worse as Mother Earth's talons had a good grab at one side of it.

"It could have been worse!" I guess I will come to terms with that in the fullness of time. Meanwhile this week I will be off to make the proprietors of Motorad a bit richer.

The rest of you buggers -- STAY UPRIGHT, OK??

Shade
1st February 2004, 11:48
Oh man, sorry to hear it.

Glad to hear that everything is relativley ok (Well, it could have been alot worse eh?)

I was riding to work yesterday when it rained real hard - was quite tricky going through puddles (well, more like pools) of water that are half as deep as your tyre.

Was just waiting for the wheels to slip from beneath me, luckily everything was fine.

Jackrat
1st February 2004, 11:51
Sorry to hear it mate,but glad to hear you came out OK.
I guess this is just one of them,THINGS HAPPEN,

merv
1st February 2004, 11:56
Sorry to hear it but at least you are OK.

Still pissing down here so I only ventured out for a few minutes in the car.

Don't forget Shell Sport on One at 4pm today features highlights form Wanganui Boxing Day races. A good day to leav the bikes in the garage.

ching_ching
1st February 2004, 12:23
Hi Hitcher,

Glad you be OK. Good to know protective giwas work.

Take care of yourself and your trusty steed. Give it an extra bit of oats in its nosebag and show it extra TLC.

Rubber down.

Sir Ching

James Deuce
1st February 2004, 12:35
Oh no!

I was supposed to go on that ride yesterday, but Heather's (my wife) Grandmother was admitted to Hutt hospital for Skin Grafts yesterday, so we got busy with family stuff.

Take it easy and do your best to mend. Beer helps.

Jim2

Pickle
1st February 2004, 12:48
Hitcher hope you are back on the bike soon,dont let it put you off it could have been a lot worse if your missus was on the back. we were over the Wairarapa yesterday on the mighty KLR's went out to Flat Point, no rain just some damp bits on the road. Also stopped in Gladstone for coffee, need to know where to go for a decent brew as the one we had was decidedly average.

Are you claiming on insurance? or just fixing yourself. Glad to hear you had good gear on. As Merv keeps pointing out today sit back and watch TV at 4pm and Jim yes Beer helps to dull the pain :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hitcher
1st February 2004, 14:35
Are you claiming on insurance? or just fixing yourself.

I'll get Motorad to have a wee tot up before I decide whether to claim. $1,000 plus on the bike should be a good trigger. I don't think my policy extends to gear, but I'll drag it out and read the fine print...

Tequila worked well last night. Beer today should be the go...

PeteThePom
1st February 2004, 22:38
I'll get Motorad to have a wee tot up before I decide whether to claim. $1,000 plus on the bike should be a good trigger. I don't think my policy extends to gear, but I'll drag it out and read the fine print...

Tequila worked well last night. Beer today should be the go...
Rough luck hitcher, glad to hear it's only your ego:o that sustained any real damage, there IS a silver cloud to this lining tho.........(and no thats not a typo) now you have an excuse to junk that rhino's penis of an exhaust and fit an after market one that will let the power out proper like..:2thumbsup

wari
1st February 2004, 23:22
That f***ing annoying init ??!! ...

Yamahamaman
1st February 2004, 23:25
fit an after market one that will let the power out proper like..

Not forgetting, re-jetting, retuning, etc. Don't see $1K going very far... :rolleyes:

matthewt
2nd February 2004, 03:13
I don't think my policy extends to gear, but I'll drag it out and read the fine print...

Riding gear is usually covered under you house contents policy.

LB
2nd February 2004, 05:00
Hitcher: so sorry to hear this. There but for the grace of god etc etc. Things definitley could have been far worse, but nonetheless it's bad enough - any fall is not good. Let us know how things go with getting things sorted.

(I was up at Manfeild at the car/truck racing - wouldn't normally have gone but was given free tickets. While it's not something I'll go to all the time, it was enjoyable for a change, and the weather wasn't that good down here for riding. Mike Pero and Johnny Hepburn were driving - Mike a V8 and Johnny a TK Bedford)

Draco
2nd February 2004, 07:45
Riding gear is usually covered under you house contents policy.

Shit happens aye m8!!!!! Glad to hear your not too bad. I had a big off 12 months ago and have claimed all my gear on my house contents insurance. The only thing my insurance company wouldn't cover was my helmet, but got back the bucks for my jacket, pants and boots, so it's worth havin a look at.
Look after yourself m8. :doctor:

Hitcher
2nd February 2004, 08:12
Rough luck hitcher, glad to hear it's only your ego:o that sustained any real damage, there IS a silver cloud to this lining tho.........(and no thats not a typo) now you have an excuse to junk that rhino's penis of an exhaust and fit an after market one that will let the power out proper like..:2thumbsup

Thanks for the words of good cheer. The Zrex has already got a Kerker on. You have a better suggestion??

Hitcher
2nd February 2004, 08:14
Shit happens aye m8!!!!! Glad to hear your not too bad. I had a big off 12 months ago and have claimed all my gear on my house contents insurance. The only thing my insurance company wouldn't cover was my helmet, but got back the bucks for my jacket, pants and boots, so it's worth havin a look at.
Look after yourself m8. :doctor:

Good advice, thanks.

wkid_one
2nd February 2004, 10:36
Thanks for the words of good cheer. The Zrex has already got a Kerker on. You have a better suggestion??
Yep - get no particular order
1. Akropovic
2. Remus
3. Micro

Three of the best pipe manu out there.

matthewt
2nd February 2004, 10:58
The only thing my insurance company wouldn't cover was my helmet, but got back the bucks for my jacket, pants and boots, so it's worth havin a look at.

Why not your helmet ?? What company was it ??

I've claimed a helmet before under my contents policy.

Hitcher
2nd February 2004, 11:55
Yep - get no particular order
1. Akropovic
2. Remus
3. Micro

Three of the best pipe manu out there.

Now there's a thought... I could nick one off your R1. Have you sold it yet, by the way??

Point of clarification to point 3. Micro or Micron?

matthewt
2nd February 2004, 12:11
4. Neptune
5. Arrow

PeteThePom
2nd February 2004, 12:45
Thanks for the words of good cheer. The Zrex has already got a Kerker on. You have a better suggestion??Akropovic full system is the way to go, combined with a K+N air filter and a subtle airbox mod gives you an extra 20bhp
NOTE:This is what me mate in UK did to his ZRX11(mind you he owns his own bike shop with a dyno, so has plenty of time to get it spot on) but I would reckon you can do the pipe and air filter without having to adjust the carbs you'd have to dyno to be sure, might need to space your needles up a bit...

I'm just running an ART(race) end can and a K+N filter which has given me an extra 12bhp at the back wheel

mangell6
2nd February 2004, 16:42
Hitcher - Damn. Good to see you are OK and the bike rideable. Good to meet and chat with yourself and Mrs H.

Mike

wkid_one
2nd February 2004, 16:59
Now there's a thought... I could nick one off your R1. Have you sold it yet, by the way??

Point of clarification to point 3. Micro or Micron?
Micron.

And yes the bike has gone......

SPman
2nd February 2004, 17:22
Micron.

And yes the bike has gone......And whats wrong with Kerker?

Mine sounds great, chopped off 6 kg and gave me a 7% power hike! And its fully rebuildable and well priced.

merv
2nd February 2004, 18:41
And yes the bike has gone......

It was still in Sawyers when I was last there on Wednesday. Have they sold it and its now gone from the shop or did they just buy it from you for stock?

How's the dirt bike coming on?

wkid_one
2nd February 2004, 18:49
Bike was sold on Friday

Hitcher
4th February 2004, 18:55
Status update:

Got enough flex and twist back to get my leg over today (as it were). Took the bike into Motorad for an "accident assessment". The schedule looks like a goodly slice of the parts manual for a ZRX1200R A2!! Kerry said he'll stay late to tot it all up. Yikes!! Lots of little bits damaged rather than a few bits badly trashed. I guess that's why it's insured...

Went for a ride tonight too. Up the Hutt, Haywards, Greys Road and home via Old Hutt Road. I was surprised how tentative I was on the RH stuff -- super-conscious of all the road "feel" coming up the shocks...

Those new Lexus coupes are pretty gutless off the lights... Almost as gutless as a Subaru WRX STi... No, really I tried to behave!