PDA

View Full Version : Wanganui: Wanganui Races On TV

merv
1st February 2004, 11:58
If you believe the Listener be watching Shell Sport on One from 4pm - Wanganui Boxing Day highlights are meant to be on. Great day for watching TV here.

Kickaha
1st February 2004, 17:42
If you believe the Listener be watching Shell Sport on One from 4pm - Wanganui Boxing Day highlights are meant to be on. Great day for watching TV here.

Just finished watching it,quite good coverage and a good mix of classes,well done to whoever organised the coverage!

What?
1st February 2004, 18:19
Shame it was only 42 minutes. 20 years ago it was live for most of the afternoon, and the camera work was better, too.
Still, better 'n nought.

merv
1st February 2004, 18:32
Shame it was only 42 minutes. 20 years ago it was live for most of the afternoon, and the camera work was better, too.
Still, better 'n nought.

I doubt the camera work back then was any better and the "now we are crossing to Ellerslie" used to piss me off as they ran it in conjunction with the horse coverage. I only watched it live on TV if I was stuck in the South Island visiting the in-laws for Xmas. I remember one of those occasions being the year Dave Hiscock dropped the chain on the Plastic Fantastic.

The 42 minutes looked pretty good to me all the same.

Motoracer
2nd February 2004, 07:51
:disapint: Damn! I just noticed this post :weep:

What?
2nd February 2004, 18:46
I doubt the camera work back then was any better and the "now we are crossing to Ellerslie" used to piss me off as they ran it in conjunction with the horse coverage. I only watched it live on TV if I was stuck in the South Island visiting the in-laws for Xmas. I remember one of those occasions being the year Dave Hiscock dropped the chain on the Plastic Fantastic.

The 42 minutes looked pretty good to me all the same.
Totally agree about the horses, Merv. Maybe the years have dulled my memory of the standard of filming, too. I do recall seeing some damned good racing, though. Aaaahhh - them were the days... :msn-wink:

merv
2nd February 2004, 18:58
Totally agree about the horses, Merv. Maybe the years have dulled my memory of the standard of filming, too. I do recall seeing some damned good racing, though. Aaaahhh - them were the days... :msn-wink:

Yeah well one tell tale is I have the videos on the Marlboro series and the Castrol Six hour and compared to today the film quality is rat shit - not enough zooming in and a bit fuzzy at times, but good all the same because it is the best record there is of those times.

Somewhere deep in the archives of TVNZ there must be all the original footage of the bike racing or would they have tossed it? Anyone from TVNZ a member here who can tell us about this? Particularly good years for biking were in the mid 80's when we had coverage from all sorts of race circuits - the street circuits of Wanganui, Gracefield and who remembers that tricky little track round the Hamilton lake when the Trinder brothers were racing and we first saw Gary Goodfellow speaking with his Canadian accent? It was all on TV along with coverage from the race circuits. A classic was Richard Scott on the TZ750 at Pukekohe racing against Rodger Freeth with Richard passing him lap after lap on the back straight only to be re-passed in the corners.

.. and who can forget the two years at Wanganui with Richard Scott firstly on the hot FZ750 and the following year on the NS500 Honda. I'd go up to Wanganui leaving my video recorder doing its thing and if necessary with instructions to who was left in the house to change the tape at the right time.

Kickaha
2nd February 2004, 21:50
I vaugely remember watching the Hamilton circuit on TV

Hugh Anderson on the Mcintosh Vincent running in the battle of the twins at Wanganui is another thats sticks in my mind.

Dunno if it ever had TV coverage,but I went to the Hawkesbury races the last year they held them and recently drove the circuit,very scary especially those bridges.

LB
3rd February 2004, 04:51
I went to Hawkesbury a couple of times....yeah, scary stuff!! Yet now, I wouldn't even be able to get there. I know it's close to Blenheim, but I can't remember in which direction!

Wanganui coverage was not bad, much better than nothing! Nicko: did you see Mike get taken out by Peter Tanner?