PDA

View Full Version : Multiple 55km/h tickets, speedo reading slow

Icemaestro
9th February 2016, 19:15
So, I've been receiving a steady stream of 30$ tickets over the past few weeks - about 1-2/week (mid Jan ones are just coming through). Last year I got one, and last ticket before that was ages ago. First couple I thought - fair enough, however last 2-3 made me stop and go hang on (one was in peak hour traffic). Checked my speedo with my GPS and for some reason it's showing as 5km slower than the GPS, which would explain things a little, as I've been trying to drive at 50km dead on.

Now question is, does this give me something to go by with the tickets? As they are the only way I'd have known about the speedo being out, and because they are delayed, I haven't cottoned on until now that I need to be doing 45 indicated...

And if it is a leg to stand on - do I need to go to a place to verify that, and if so where in Auckland?

FYI - I've paid the first three, three more sitting here...was going to pay them then thought why not, ask the genius that is kb and wait for people to tell me to suck it up and pay them :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rastuscat
9th February 2016, 19:24
First, good on ya for acknowledging that it's your bad.

Try writing to the PIB. You never know, they might find honesty refreshing after all the normal tosh they are sent.

Next reflect that most speedo read over, not under. Causing people to drive slower. Meaning that anyone who got a ticket was actually going faster than they were fined for.

Does this mean that if they refund yours, everyone else should pay more?

Just Josh ING. But do write in. It costs virtually nothing and might save you a few dollars.

Grumph
9th February 2016, 19:27
Worth a crack anyway. Find a speedo repair shop who can give a written report on how far out the speedo is and submit it with the written explanation.

Many years back i got pinged for unpaid RUC, I'd known for some time that the speedo was well out so got a report from Parratts here in ChCh.
Paid yes, but only on the corrected mileage which was quite a saving.

Icemaestro
9th February 2016, 19:29

Yes I'm sure I remember using my GPS when I got the car ~6 years ago and it showing around 4km/h under, hence why I thought I'd ask on here before trying to write in.

Yeah tbh I'm sure one or two are deserved - 56 and 57 as I remember being in a hurry and looking down to see it being around 55 before slowing down. It does annoy me that I have to look down about every 5 seconds or so sometimes to check but hey...

Icemaestro
9th February 2016, 19:31
Worth a crack anyway. Find a speedo repair shop who can give a written report on how far out the speedo is and submit it with the written explanation.

Many years back i got pinged for unpaid RUC, I'd known for some time that the speedo was well out so got a report from Parratts here in ChCh.
Paid yes, but only on the corrected mileage which was quite a saving.

Thanks, good to know similar ish situation so I'm not going to have someone laughing at me.

And can they fix it? Or do I need to go get some bigger or smaller profile tyres (I have no idea which way it works sorry!, have heard changing the tyre size can affect it - not that I have on my trust Toyota Corolla wagon that just won't die!)

You know what a better solution is? Ride the bike more :-p.

Grumph
9th February 2016, 19:45
If it's under recording the wheel rpm needs to rise to match the speedo so lower profile tyre...or lower pressures. lol.

Or it may be possible to do an internal mod to the speedo. In my case Parratts put a small epicyclic gearbox in the drive from the gearbox output to the speedo cable. In some cases they can change the drive ratio in the gearbox - cars only.

caspernz
9th February 2016, 19:51
Silly question maybe...but have you changed wheel/tyre combo at all?

Ender EnZed
9th February 2016, 19:58
Thanks, good to know similar ish situation so I'm not going to have someone laughing at me.

And can they fix it? Or do I need to go get some bigger or smaller profile tyres (I have no idea which way it works sorry!, have heard changing the tyre size can affect it - not that I have on my trust Toyota Corolla wagon that just won't die!)

You know what a better solution is? Ride the bike more :-p.

Speedo healers are a fairly common mod to go with sprocket size changes.

Here's a KB thread from October on the topic:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/176403-Speedohealer-speedodrd

AllanB
9th February 2016, 20:42
Silly question maybe...but have you changed wheel/tyre combo at all?

What I was thinking, depending on the car it may affect the reading.

Icemaestro
9th February 2016, 20:44
I changed to new tyres around 1 year ago, same profile tyres however though, and fairly budget at that so run of the mill:-)

jellywrestler
9th February 2016, 21:17

my last ticket was about six years ago, i saw the cop and checked my speedo, but still got pinged, went to an authorised instrument tech who checked it with a gps and certified it incorrect.
went to the warrant people who said, if we think it's out we take it along the motorway with a known correct vehicle (given that the warrant was done in a closed building bullshit) explained this in my letter
i wrote in and still had to pay!
the warrants used to have to ensure a speedo was within 10%, but since this new 4% bullshit they've removed that from the warrant, means the government enforced vehicle safety cert, does not cover your speedo.
seems a bit against human rights to me that this is the way that the government can do this????
anyway have you got an incorrect sized tyre on, this can have an effect.

local
9th February 2016, 21:24
I changed to new tyres around 1 year ago, same profile tyres however though, and fairly budget at that so run of the mill:-)

Same width too? For a given profile different widths affect overall diameter.

Even new tyres of the same width and profile size will affect the speedo by a few % compared to those with worn tread. However 10% over the GPS reading is a fair bit, indicating incorrect tyre size or something haywire in the speedo.

Icemaestro
9th February 2016, 21:55
Yep bought the same dimensions tyre as was on there when I bought it...hence my thought about people who measure and fix these things. Odd though as no bouncing or noises or anything like I had in my very first car (speedo drive bit was getting worn I suspect)

roogazza
10th February 2016, 17:41
Aren't we back on the 9 kph ? Christmas is over . :sweatdrop :wacko:

Icemaestro
10th February 2016, 17:42
Yep thank goodness!

Also, checked today, it's only between 50-60, improves to bang on once you get to 80 and up to 100:-p..figure that?

buggerit
10th February 2016, 17:59
Are u running original sprocket tooth numbers on both sprockets?

Icemaestro
10th February 2016, 18:11
It's a car :-) sorry! My bikes are though, thanks for asking ;-)

RGVforme
10th February 2016, 19:03
Be worth getting it sorted for money and piece of mind.....Agree most read lower not higher....If a newer car this reading is supplied by a low voltage signal from your trans via your ECU to the display.The ecu also uses this signal for other stuff also so if its reading wrong it can effect stuff like when your auto trans shifts and fuel use ect.

Ive replaced some almost completely worn smooth speedo gear drives that still sent the needle upwards be it at its own pace.

The 4km GPS thing may be satellite signal lag I read on somewhere.Its a common difference I noticed also.:corn:

Big Dog
10th February 2016, 20:07
I had a similar symptom in the Big Horn.
Then the speedo occasionally flat lined.
Then it just didn't go.
Crack in the dash circuit board was the answer I got from Robinsons (iirc). Apparently at certain rpm it was flapping between an open and a closed circuit.

It could be just about any connection between your sender and your dash.

Sent via tapatalk.