PDA

View Full Version : Mag wheel repair

chrisc
18th February 2016, 12:17
Can anyone recommend a good person/company to repair some leaky cracks I've found in a RS125 wheel (old Technomagnesio)?

Thanks

Sable
18th February 2016, 12:42
Arrow Wheels in Auckland is probably your best bet.

jasonu
18th February 2016, 13:33
Can anyone recommend a good person/company to repair some leaky cracks I've found in a RS125 wheel (old Technomagnesio)?

Thanks

Better to scrap it. Magnesium wheels don't last forever.

Grumph
18th February 2016, 14:06
Better to scrap it. Magnesium wheels don't last forever.

I tend to agree. It should at least be stripped and crack tested - you may be surprised, but not in a good way...

Bert
18th February 2016, 17:11

Thanks

Lucky I didn't do that swap :rolleyes:

Go on lash out and get yourself a new set. Lighter, better and well better looking.

kel
18th February 2016, 17:17
No, but you NEED TO GET IT TESTED before you use it again. You do not wanting the wheel failing.

jasonu
18th February 2016, 17:40
No, but you NEED TO GET IT TESTED before you use it again. You do not wanting the wheel failing.

Like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAS11mkwXbY
Although I remember the wheel was carbon fiber the result is the same.

RGVforme
18th February 2016, 17:53
Good luck with that repair.

Been down this path..... Idiots who tried welding it up Didn't fix the crack heat even bent the rim by the looks when I got it back.

Bike shop who said "Yeah we can fix it" as in we the bike shop then out sourced the job to a engineer firm who didn't say "Nah we don't know wtf we are doing.Found all this out when I returned to pick it up and bastards still had the cheek to charge me for the out work even though a fail!.:crazy:

I don't go there anymore.

Bin it I say.You could end up chasing a broken tail when it would have been better buying a whole new tiger.

Gigglebutton
18th February 2016, 19:20
We have welded magnesium bits.
Its easy enough to do.
You can get a tig filler rod for it.
Problem with some of the alloys are micro porous & when you weld them the bubbles clump together to become bigger bubbles, & that's a big stress riser at 200k
You can speak to Mike or Andrew Fisher at Xray Labs in Leonard Rd. Real clever & helpful guys.
I would say they are proper fucked with fatigue
Burn them & buy some carbon ones

TALLIS
18th February 2016, 19:30

If they are beyond repair, bring them along to the next round and we will see if we can get a camp fire going

Grumph
18th February 2016, 19:38
I would say they are proper fucked with fatigue

This time don't go secondhand...On another forum I've seen pics of a front BST carbon on a Ducati which disintegrated at Eastern Creek last week.
That one was secondhand and of unknown history....

chrisc
18th February 2016, 20:16
You lads raise some very good points. I wasn't going to put it back on my RS125, rather the bucket after being repaired. Unsure if that's even worth it after this.
If you're at Mt Welly this weekend lets chat Darren

jellywrestler
18th February 2016, 22:04
Like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAS11mkwXbY
Although I remember the wheel was carbon fiber the result is the same.

poppycock, it was not carbon fibre, my memory was it was a marvic, they were changing the wheels at the pitstops and putting used slicks on, no need for new rubber at the tt then, they were worried about the wheels.

F5 Dave
19th February 2016, 05:57
Gee I always remember that as being a CF wheel, came straight to mind before I clicked the video that Dunlop proved HRC failed at cf wheels. Now I'd believe you are probably right and it was a rumour, but a popular one so perhaps leaving Jason reeling in the sting of a poppycock is unfair.
That said the little cunt called me a peckerhead last week:msn-wink:.

jasonu
19th February 2016, 07:47
Gee I always remember that as being a CF wheel, came straight to mind before I clicked the video that Dunlop proved HRC failed at cf wheels. Now I'd believe you are probably right and it was a rumour, but a popular one so perhaps leaving Jason reeling in the sting of a poppycock is unfair.
That said the little cunt called me a peckerhead last week:msn-wink:.

True or not I distinctly remember CF wheels mentioned the first time I saw that incident. I remember it as CF wheels were a fairly new and unusual thing back in the vintage days....

BTW that is Mr. little cunt to you.

jellywrestler
19th February 2016, 08:25
True or not I distinctly remember CF wheels mentioned the first time I saw that incident. I remember it as CF wheels were a fairly new and unusual thing back in the vintage days....

BTW that is Mr. little cunt to you.

i was at the 1994 tt and on the way back through the states caught up with the importer of the same brand of wheels who was having a wee nightmare about them but we all know about internaughty rumours.

F5 Dave
19th February 2016, 14:25
I didn't know what the internaughty was back then, none of us did. Just video and magazines.