PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki VL250 exhausts?

rego911
26th February 2016, 19:40
Hey, new member here :p. I have a 2008 Suzuki VL250 intruder and want it to be a louder, but I can find hardly any pipes that are made for it. Any one have any ideas? Cheeeeers.

Goosifer
27th February 2016, 08:23
Aftermarket exhausts for the vls250's are few and far between and generally more than I'd care to spend on an entry level bike.

1: Get a cheapy universal exhaust off aliexpress/trademe, "universal" meaning it fits every bike just as poorly, spend a bit getting brackets and a 2 into 1 connection fabricated.

2: Shorten it by chopping about 25cm off the front of the current can and reweld the back piece on, get your measurements right and you'll only need to relocate one of the support tabs. FYI the welding will trash the chrome, be prepared to paint, wrap or just live with the mess.

3: Gut it by opening up the area around the exhaust outlet and pull out as much of its innards as possible, this will sound better with no obvious visible change.

4: Make yourself or get a shop to fabricate a set of custom pipes.

I currently have a VL with shortened pipe and one with a gutted pipe, you are welcome to come around and give them a listen and have a look at what work was done... I also have a custom set of dump pipes stored, but they are obnoxiously loud and imho sound quite shitty.

Old Steve
27th February 2016, 13:23
Don't know about the Intruder, but I did have a Hyosung GV250/Intruder 250 clone (Hyosung made Suzukis under licence for about 25 years and the GV250 is very similar to the Intruder - even down to the first gear glitch, have to turn the engine off and on again to go down into first gear.

On the GV250 the muffler end plate is held on with 3 pop rivets, I drilled these out and took the end plate off. My current Boulevard M50 came with 4 x 12 mm holes drilled in the two muffler end plates by the previous owner. Don't know if the Intruder has a muffler end plate which you can drill.

I've heard that people use a hole saw to cut out the central pipe of the muffler, this does make it extremely noisy but it's a personal choice.

awa355
27th February 2016, 16:10
I have 3 13mm holes drilled in each of the end plates. I love the sound and I don't give a toss what anyone else thinks. Not partically loud but just gives the 250 exhaust a deeper growl.

Richard Mc F
28th February 2016, 19:57
Or talke to Pete at Custom Chambers Kerwyn ave East Tamaki

AllanB
28th February 2016, 20:09
Drilling the end plate results in more noise but usually a crappy pop pop poppy noise that is nothing like a decent pipe.

Any of the bike shops are able to order you (if they don't have them in stock) universal megaphone mufflers that have a adjustable mount that with a bit of time and a couple beers will be able to fit your ride.

Come in two sizes - 17 inch shorty (loud) and 27 inch (off top of my head). Get the ones with the straight through removable core as you can much around with them to alter the sound it you know what you are doing. BTW the stock packing is shit - upgrade it. Rest of pipes are surprising well made for the dollar ($100-120 each).

Here is a listing for the short one on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/auction-1038615453.htm

A pair of them shotgun up and under would look good on your bike. The longer ones will be quieter but may be too long for your bike.