PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thoughts on "My Bike"

rocketman1
28th February 2016, 12:12
Thinking about a friend calling his bike " My Bike "
Got me thinking, that his bike, will be on this Earth alot longer than he will.
In fact all going well could be part of this planet for hundreds of years to come. All things being equal.
"My Bike" as he calls it is only his bike for as long as he exists or until he sells it. The bike will go on.
He paid for it, but that only gives him the right to be its keeper for relatively a short period of time.

So the bikes in my garage will go on and on. My bike, No.
The bikes that I have been blessed to look after for a short time, and give me enjoyment yes.
Look after your bike, and some owner in 600 years time, may track you down as a previous owner.

Bit deep but thought I would share.

haydes55
28th February 2016, 12:24
I heard everyone was struggling to find weed at the moment.

Tazz
28th February 2016, 12:30
More brapping, less 'thinking' ;)

Berries
28th February 2016, 12:56
I heard everyone was struggling to find weed at the moment.
3:32, rocketman1 starting 'his' bike.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OnlvhuI9v60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sidecar bob
28th February 2016, 15:01
It's a kind of thinking more associated with heritage listed buildings, but yeah, awesome shit bro.:Punk:

Gremlin
28th February 2016, 15:09
It's a kind of thinking more associated with heritage listed buildings, but yeah, awesome shit bro.:Punk:
Yeah, ours was built 1860 so on the house front yes.

On the bike front, I don't expect anyone to get anything after I'm finished with the BMW :lol:

Voltaire
28th February 2016, 15:56
They all end up at the scrappies.
http://www.ducati.org/forums/attachments/848/91478d1453596099-australian-848-crushed-18krgli.jpg

AllanB
28th February 2016, 16:23
Meh. Mine is my bike. Got the rego to prove it. No other arse paid for it.

M I N E

AllanB
28th February 2016, 16:25
PS - you'd be shit if you got a job with any of the tribes - they would fire you with that attitude as they could not claim anything ........

ellipsis
28th February 2016, 16:26
...all of mine have been someone else's, generally someone else that took better care of them than me...apart from that the op is just a little deep for such a shallow world we inhabit...

neels
28th February 2016, 16:32
I paid for it, at the moment it is my bike, when I sell it then it will no longer be my bike.

My implies ownership, which is entirely correct.

I don't see my bike carrying on for anything like 600 years after I've finished with it, or any other mechanical device for that matter, I can't see the necessary replacement parts being available for that long.

ellipsis
28th February 2016, 16:51
I can't see the necessary replacement parts being available for that long.

...yeah, how many new hips, knees and shoulder rebuilds can a bloke go through before he realises that the Honda will still be around when he's gone...if it all goes tits up and the USA gets destroyed by other naughty people with different ideas, then there goes our supply of second hand , never been used brains, too...

caspernz
28th February 2016, 18:55
On this note, had an interesting chat with my brother this afternoon. He's got a few titanium bits in him. Apparently the service life of his bionic ankle is around 325 years, to mention just one item. His wife reckons she'll be able to pay for the funeral and a holiday in Hawaii after she sells off his "spare parts" should he pass before her...:crazy::shutup::innocent::facepalm:

Old Steve
29th February 2016, 08:37
I just want some of the pills rocketman1 is taking ....

As for the bike. One considers the quote,

"Life is not a journey to the Pearly Gates with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!"

Same for the bike!

EJK
29th February 2016, 08:42
Where can I find a bike that'll last 600 years?

Flip
5th March 2016, 20:42

These two are well on the way. Taken at the Maori batalion C company mueseum opening in Gisborne. Yes I did know there was a bren carrier behind me.

TheDemonLord
5th March 2016, 22:46
My Bike is the one where the saddle smells like my sweaty Balls.

trufflebutter
6th March 2016, 07:33
In this instance, My Bike = possession. Ownership is different, you only truly own something when you marry it.

pritch
6th March 2016, 08:28
Bikes have to be a bit special to survive past a few years. My old Cheney BSA might be appearing at a race meeting in the South Island occasionally, but the BMW I owned after that and most of the others have probably gone to that big S bend in the sky.

Actually I don't really think of the Cheney as mine. It's Colin Dixon's bike, he built it when he raced for the factory team, and he raced it in Europe and here.

sidecar bob
7th March 2016, 16:34
Although my Rickman was built by a lovely chap in Timaru in 1970, seeing as he has my money & I didn't steal It, I consider it to be mine.
Which brings the question, if you're lousy enough to steal other peoples stuff, do you ever get to enjoy that satisfied feeling of ownership?

18th March 2016, 12:43

Here apparently... Go to post #5

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/178129-GN250-lifespan

Oscar
18th March 2016, 12:44
Property is theft.

rocketman1
18th March 2016, 15:05
In this instance, My Bike = possession. Ownership is different, you only truly own something when you marry it.

Couldnt disagree more. You do not own your husband or wife, whatever your gender maybe.
If you divorce a partner they remain a son or daughter to their parents, but have F... all to do with you.

It pisses me off to think my daughter belongs to someone else, she is always my daughter till the day I die.
But not always someones wife / property.

Get over it, these people who think they own someone, get over it, YOU DO NOT own anybody.
You are just a partner to them, maybe for life, for as long as you are nice to to them.

rocketman1
18th March 2016, 15:07
Bikes have to be a bit special to survive past a few years. My old Cheney BSA might be appearing at a race meeting in the South Island occasionally, but the BMW I owned after that and most of the others have probably gone to that big S bend in the sky.

Actually I don't really think of the Cheney as mine. It's Colin Dixon's bike, he built it when he raced for the factory team, and he raced it in Europe and here.

I really think that BMWs will be one bike that a cherished more than most. Huge demand for old BMWs.

EJK
18th March 2016, 15:22
I really think that BMWs will be one bike that a cherished more than most. Huge demand for old BMWs.

No. Those Suzuki GSXRs man, they have real investment potential. Especially the 600cc ones.

trufflebutter
18th March 2016, 15:32
Couldnt disagree more. You do not own your husband or wife, whatever your gender maybe.
If you divorce a partner they remain a son or daughter to their parents, but have F... all to do with you.

It pisses me off to think my daughter belongs to someone else, she is always my daughter till the day I die.
But not always someones wife / property.

Get over it, these people who think they own someone, get over it, YOU DO NOT own anybody.
You are just a partner to them, maybe for life, for as long as you are nice to to them.

Read what I said and you might get some idea of what I was referring to. The words something and it should never be used in the same sentence as wife or husband. 'Something' and 'it' are invariably inanimate objects, clearly Husbands and Wives are not.

I will spell it out for you in case you missed it.. in the context of this thread you only truly own something when you marry it = BIKE.

98tls
18th March 2016, 22:53
Thinking about a friend calling his bike " My Bike "
Got me thinking, that his bike, will be on this Earth alot longer than he will.
In fact all going well could be part of this planet for hundreds of years to come. All things being equal.
"My Bike" as he calls it is only his bike for as long as he exists or until he sells it. The bike will go on.
He paid for it, but that only gives him the right to be its keeper for relatively a short period of time.

So the bikes in my garage will go on and on. My bike, No.
The bikes that I have been blessed to look after for a short time, and give me enjoyment yes.
Look after your bike, and some owner in 600 years time, may track you down as a previous owner.

Bit deep but thought I would share.

Nice really.Ive long owned an old TL1000S...in its time with me its had some things done which in my personal opinion improve its road going ability,ive kept all the oem stuff for whatever reasons.Ive been offered some good money for the thing but its still in the shed,rather than sell it i decided awhile back that when the time comes that i wont ride it again (i dont much these days) i will gift the thing to someone credible in hope that it will live on in good nick to a time that its a collectiable bike (far off i know) therefore improving its chances of surviving,its given me much pleasure all these years so tis the least i can do.

Daffyd
19th March 2016, 00:29
'Something' and 'it' are invariably inanimate objects, clearly Husbands and Wives are not.

I don't know about that. My first wife was pretty inanimate... especially in bed.

trufflebutter
19th March 2016, 06:21
I don't know about that. My first wife was pretty inanimate... especially in bed.

Not always the woman's fault...;)

rocketman1
15th May 2016, 12:00
Read what I said and you might get some idea of what I was referring to. The words something and it should never be used in the same sentence as wife or husband. 'Something' and 'it' are invariably inanimate objects, clearly Husbands and Wives are not.

I will spell it out for you in case you missed it.. in the context of this thread you only truly own something when you marry it = BIKE.

Your correct , sorry my mind was just targeting a pet hate of mine."People that thinking that they own someone." Some twats even do jail time because they top their partner thinking they own them. Dont get me started.